2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

10 years ago David Gossett at our local covered range had the four stalls to his right and left roped off. It was an awful spring day with heavy rain. Asked the guy standing behind him "coaching" (whatever) the reason why and he said "so nobody will bother David. There were at least 10 folks waiting to hit while this turd took up 30% of all open stalls for himself.

That's a good 5 years after the last time anyone thought about him until now.

Yesterday played a county course. Have a grass range but had the tees up in front on the range. When they do this they post a "irons only" sign. The end of the range about 230 from this point. So an older couple is there, she was "crushing" her driver 125 or so. Being about 5' tall and 90 pounds not bad. Well you guessed it a county employee center over and told her she could not hit her driver. REALLY I said. Are you kidding, she is not hitting her driver as far as my gap wedge. Well it was not pretty, but I asked if I could hit my 5 hybrid, he said "don't be a wise a**". so I went to my brothers bag an got his driving iron teed it up and hit draws into the first fairway, end of range, as hard as I could. Did not make friends yesterday. They tried to get me thrown off the course. I reminded them that my tax dollars pay their salaries and they worked for us. I was told to leave, I said "call the police if you like", and walked to the first tee. Hit the longest drive of the year, straight through the dogleg into the woods.

Common sense is indeed not very common.

Typical county/city/state employee they think their poop does not stink. That is the way to tell them yep our tax dollars help pay their salaries.

We had trouble like that when the city of Myrtle Beach TRIED to run a golf course. At the time I was doing some side work doing golf bookings. They ticked off several folks that I had put there and I went over to talk to them. Their attitude was we do not care. Come to find out that other services had problems too with the same arrogant attitude. We had a web site called Myrtle Beach Golf Talk at the time and I was one of the local commentators and I blasted them. I also contacted the local media about the whole deal and things blew up or progressed from there. I do not live in the city limits but one of their city clowncil members contacted me and I had a meeting with him. (in fact he is a US Congressman now re elected last Tuesday) He was not a golfer but a businessman and so he knew. The city had also taken a lot of fire from the resident TAXPAYERS because of the course loosing money over the previous 5 or 6 years. The city ended up cleaning house. A few years ago they ended up leasing the course out to a private individual and the conditions and course have improved. Yep you can not have an holier than thou city employee attitude when there are over 100 courses in an area to compete with.

Sorta off topic but what the heck right??

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The most ridiculous statement I have heard was during a hitting balls/warm up at the range for our weekend men's club tourney. A guy named Mike (not very many guys will play with this guy) went up to a guy hitting on position 7 and told him he had to leave because this was where he (Anal Mike) always hit balls. He was totally serious.

The most ridiculous statement I have heard was during a hitting balls/warm up at the range for our weekend men's club tourney. A guy named Mike (not very many guys will play with this guy) went up to a guy hitting on position 7 and told him he had to leave because this was where he (Anal Mike) always hit balls. He was totally serious.

"That's my spot". Sheldon Cooper!!

Funniest thing happened to me last night at the range. I'm doing my thing and hitting a few drivers and this bozo comes up to the stall next to me. He immediately grabs his driver and tees it up with the longest rubber tee they have (I hate mats but it was raining so I had to get under cover). He starts hitting his driver and begins to shank everything straight right worm burners about three inches off the ground. Anyway, a couple minutes later we both sort of hit at the same time and again he hits a brutal top shank straight right but apparently thinks my ball is his. My drive was fine and all of sudden he goes "damn, I just hit my longest drive ever." I go "dude, that was my ball, yours is way over there." He looks to the right and sees his tumbling into the weeds. He was so sad. I felt like an a** but what could I do?

PSA: This is NOT a humble brag.

Dude that ones almost as sad as the old guy who had to stop playing cause he drove his town car to the first tee

Funniest thing happened to me last night at the range. I'm doing my thing and hitting a few drivers and this bozo comes up to the stall next to me. He immediately grabs his driver and tees it up with the longest rubber tee they have (I hate mats but it was raining so I had to get under cover). He starts hitting his driver and begins to shank everything straight right worm burners about three inches off the ground. Anyway, a couple minutes later we both sort of hit at the same time and again he hits a brutal top shank straight right but apparently thinks my ball is his. My drive was fine and all of sudden he goes "damn, I just hit my longest drive ever." I go "dude, that was my ball, yours is way over there." He looks to the right and sees his tumbling into the weeds. He was so sad. I felt like an a** but what could I do?

PSA: This is NOT a humble brag.

Dude that ones almost as sad as the old guy who had to stop playing cause he drove his town car to the first tee

Is that not allowed on your course?

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

Yesterday there were a father, son and what I guess to be a son in law. I overheard the son genuinely complimenting his father as being the only one to "be able to hit it to the trees". I look down the range and it's probably 75 yds past a 250 marker to them. So I keep doing my short little contract drills.

A bit later, I hear, "Wow Dad, you really got a piece of that one. You're hitting it to the woods again!"

I look up and all three are hitting heavy slices to the trees on the right side of the range! I channeled all of my inner power to not drop to my knees in a fit of hysterical laughter. I picked my 9 iron and proceeded to hit 120 yd darts to the flag. I felt better about my game ;)

You hit your 9 iron 120 yards? I hit my 56* wedge that far... You girl...

See what I did there?...

Yes, I see what you did.

I'm a 47yo woman. That's my photo in my avatar ;)

Since working on contact drills so much, my yard ages are going up by 5 - 10 yards per club. Until I get consistent with the new yard ages, I'm still going by my old numbers. My goal is to make a great strike and accuracy with the shot. An accurate approach shot is more important that what number is on the club.

BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNMEDDDDDDDD

Slightly off topic but! When I was in junior golf (7th grade) we had a dbag coach who played on the Canadian tour and apparently was the best sand player on tour at one point, though he was a TOTAL washup when this happened. (We'd laugh and say he must've been in the sand A LOT to get those stats) but he would make us hit sand shots until we each holed 5 in a row. Even if it took the entire practice session. And if we didn't make 5 in a row (no one did) we had to do 100 push ups. Same went for missing 20 foot putts during the putting drill. One kid had a pacemaker and he still tried to make him do the push ups. Luckily the kids dad was there to step in. Needless to say that total ego stroking a**hole ruined golf for a lot of kids that year.

Slightly off topic but! When I was in junior golf (7th grade) we had a dbag coach who played on the Canadian tour and apparently was the best sand player on tour at one point, though he was a TOTAL washup when this happened. (We'd laugh and say he must've been in the sand A LOT to get those stats) but he would make us hit sand shots until we each holed 5 in a row. Even if it took the entire practice session. And if we didn't make 5 in a row (no one did) we had to do 100 push ups. Same went for missing 20 foot putts during the putting drill. One kid had a pacemaker and he still tried to make him do the push ups. Luckily the kids dad was there to step in. Needless to say that total ego stroking a**hole ruined golf for a lot of kids that year.

I've been told by a few reputable sources that the coach at the U of A makes kids run a mile for every stroke over par they shoot in both practice and tournaments. It's a quick way to lose a golf team, that's for sure.

Hole out 5 times in a row from a bunker. I don't think a single tour Pro could that let alone some junior golfers.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I've been told by a few reputable sources that the coach at the U of A makes kids run a mile for every stroke over par they shoot in both practice and tournaments. It's a quick way to lose a golf team, that's for sure.

Hole out 5 times in a row from a bunker. I don't think a single tour Pro could that let alone some junior golfers.

can coaches really make their kids do this kind of stuff? Because if a Coach told me that I probably would tell him to go f off

Today I was at Carl's Golfland hitting balls and behind me I heard the sound of a driver head being seemingly scraped along the cement.. I turned around and saw a high school kid rehearsing an absurdly flat backswing with his club and purposely knocking his backswing into another persons driver that was rested on the edge of their hitting stall. Yes, the driver he was purposely contacting was being mangled across the cement as he hit it about 5-6 more times within 10 seconds. I just stood there in awe of what this kid was doing to this poor lady's driver head.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Yesterday played a county course. Have a grass range but had the tees up in front on the range. When they do this they post a "irons only" sign. The end of the range about 230 from this point. So an older couple is there, she was "crushing" her driver 125 or so. Being about 5' tall and 90 pounds not bad. Well you guessed it a county employee center over and told her she could not hit her driver. REALLY I said. Are you kidding, she is not hitting her driver as far as my gap wedge. Well it was not pretty, but I asked if I could hit my 5 hybrid, he said "don't be a wise a**". so I went to my brothers bag an got his driving iron teed it up and hit draws into the first fairway, end of range, as hard as I could. Did not make friends yesterday. They tried to get me thrown off the course. I reminded them that my tax dollars pay their salaries and they worked for us. I was told to leave, I said "call the police if you like", and walked to the first tee. Hit the longest drive of the year, straight through the dogleg into the woods.

Typical county/city/state employee they think their poop does not stink. That is the way to tell them yep our tax dollars help pay their salaries.

Typical response from people who are jealous they don't have a government job. When they tell me they pay my salary, I remind them that I make more money than they do and I pay myself more than they pay me.

Aren't snide, over-generalizations fun?

can coaches really make their kids do this kind of stuff? Because if a Coach told me that I probably would tell him to go f off

Here is my understanding of the current college athletic scene. The school recruits many more players than actually needed. They drive the kids as hard as they can physically, mentally and time wise knowing many will quit the team. They keep the ones that will take any $&%& you throw at them and the ones that quit usually stay at that school to finish their degree.

Two utter scrotums pummelling balls at a range last Thursday in the bay next to mine. One was boasting how a driver only lasts him about 50 balls because he absolutely demolishes the head during a range session. You couldn't call his hitting of the ball a swing, but you could certainly say he liked to use all of his club head when hitting the ball - note I said club head rather than club face. They were coming out with such crap that I was about to gather up my balls and head to another bay, when they ran out themselves and went home. These two could have been the most ridiculous people I've ever seen at a range.

Heard the pro telling one of his new customers last night that before they went any further with his lessons that he would need to buy some newer clubs. Not sure what the guy had other than either persimmon or laminated driver and he didnt hit it bad either from what i noticed. Then he preceded to give him the whole game improvement technology spiel and about the clubs he could sell him. I put my clubs away and left half a bucket. Ive been going there for years under two different owners, when they had an old truck parked at 180 yards, when they still had a bar, and before they turned it into this "golf academy". Hell the current owner even told me the past couple winters when he was closed to go ahead and pick my own balls, no charge. But after hearing that, ill move on to somewhere else.

Ping G400 10.5,3W,5W (Eye 2 1,3,5)
Ping Eye 2+no+ 3-SW, BeCu+ LW
Ping 30th Anniversary Anser, Pat Pend. Anser 2
Titleist Pro V1

10 years ago David Gossett at our local covered range had the four stalls to his right and left roped off. It was an awful spring day with heavy rain. Asked the guy standing behind him "coaching" (whatever) the reason why and he said "so nobody will bother David. There were at least 10 folks waiting to hit while this turd took up 30% of all open stalls for himself.

That's a good 5 years after the last time anyone thought about him until now.

Who?

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400

Typical response from people who are jealous they don't have a government job. When they tell me they pay my salary, I remind them that I make more money than they do and I pay myself more than they pay me.

#1 I do not want or need a government job and I make a hell of a lot more money than these clowns here working for the city county or state for that matter. And when I retire from being self employed for a good part of my life I will have a better retirement than they do-- And like it or not TAXPAYERS do pay your salary regardless of what you THINK YOU KNOW.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

#1 I do not want or need a government job and I make a hell of a lot more money than these clowns here working for the city county or state for that matter. And when I retire from being self employed for a good part of my life I will have a better retirement than they do-- And like it or not TAXPAYERS do pay your salary regardless of what you THINK YOU KNOW.

Stu you obviously don't live in NY state. :)

• 2 weeks later...

"It's all about having a long driver. You wouldn't believe how much clubhead speed I gained when I swung a 48 inch LD competition driver. I was hitting the ball perfectly and the machine recorded 148 MPH clubhead speed. 330+ yard drives are so easy, you just need to put a longer shaft in the driver. If I switch my driver to a 48 inch one, I would be driving short par 4's but I will lose a little forgiveness so I'll stick to my current setup."

The mat I was hitting off was on the left side of the range, and there is a wall in the middle so although I was able to hear him very loud and clearly, I didn't know who it was. After I finished hitting my bucket of balls, I walked over slowly and saw that it was a 5'8, middle aged guy who didn't even have the best form, and based on his 7 iron swing (he told his friend it was his 7 iron), he would be lucky to hit it 150yds. SMH.

Worst part is he's a regular at that range and is always giving the worst advice to his friends. He's a better golfer than his buddies so they listen to every word he says and he acts like he runs the place....

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes when I smash one nice and straight I'll say "Very nice!" In my best Borat accent.

Any chance you're one of my regular playing partners? He is also from Canada (although lives in Washington now), who does the same thing.

I'm from the cold side of the country! east coast over here.