2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

Just about a week ago a guy told his buddy that his G wedge was a grass wedge. I slightly chuckled inside then went on about my business.

I call my A wedge my attack wedge ?

A guy I work with said his "A" wedge stood for "All" wedge because it can be used for any shot. No correction from me ,if he wants to hit any shot with it on his way to 110, be my guest.

How about this.... its not what I heard... but I swear I was practicing next to a Camel, almost every swing, he would spit..... WTF is going on, Swing, spit, Swing, spit....... he seemed normal other than that..... his swing was ...ok at best..... but why you gotta spit so much... jeez

If you haven't figured it out yet... I would assume he was dipping. It makes you spit constantly.

"Range balls don't fly as far, with your ball that's a great drive"

Not totally ridiculous. The range I frequent on my lunch break has the cheap Srixon low compression range balls, and they fly about 15-20% shorter in the air than a true 2 or 3 piece ball. I always save the 4-5 "real" balls I find in my bucket for last and watch them carry 30 yards passed where the range balls were landing.

If you hit them off typical range mats, you actually get distances replicated on the course. The density of the mat compensates for the lower compression...

Not totally ridiculous. The range I frequent on my lunch break has the cheap Srixon low compression range balls, and they fly about 15-20% shorter in the air than a true 2 or 3 piece ball. I always save the 4-5 "real" balls I find in my bucket for last and watch them carry 30 yards passed where the range balls were landing.

If you hit them off typical range mats, you actually get distances replicated on the course. The density of the mat compensates for the lower compression...

Please come to my driving range and say that out loud so I can post it here.

No need. Have done the math and real-world comparison. If you think it's thread-worthy, please re-post accordingly.

No need. Have done the math and real-world comparison. If you think it's thread-worthy, please re-post accordingly.

Curious, can you explain further?

Where m=mat

xphysics_golf_swing_13.png.pagespeed.ic.iRbl8Sw_fp.png

Thanks, but a 2D free body diagram of the club doesn't begin to answer if/how density of the mat surface and compression of a range ball still optimize to a similar distance as found between actual turf/ball. I'm skeptical there is much if any because the ball isn't actually colliding with the mat and just rises after contact with the angled surface of the clubhead. This is all ignoring flight characteristics due to dimple/air interactions.

There is a local range called buttonhole in my area and all down the right side of the range is the second hole of the par 3.. Not sure why they would put a hole where most people slice but whatever.

There were people on the green and some one .. Decent long hitter sliced one and all of a sudden I hear FOOOOOORE!! Yelled as loud as you can imagine.

Naturally everyone stops and sees the people on the green scramble. Ball hits the green and the people on the green were scared to hell. Pretty funny hearing fore on a driving range

BUTTONHOOOOOLE love that place, very fun little par 3 course.

Where m=mat

Thanks, but a 2D free body diagram of the club doesn't begin to answer if/how density of the mat surface and compression of a range ball still optimize to a similar distance as found between actual turf/ball. I'm skeptical there is much if any because the ball isn't actually colliding with the mat and just rises after contact with the angled surface of the clubhead. This is all ignoring flight characteristics due to dimple/air interactions.

cant tell if serious.

Where m=mat

cant tell if serious.

Not serious. m is obviously the mass of the golf club not the mat. Obviously.

G400 LST 10* Tour 65x
G400 15.5* Tour 75x
G30 19* Tour 90x
Z785 X100 4-9
SM7 46.10F/50.08F/54.08M/60.8M
MCC plus4 mid
Kingston KP1 GSS w/ Pingman
Srixon Z star XV

Older guy in his 60s (he was about 5'7 150 lbs) was loudly bragging to the guy next to him: "now I'm not near as long as I used to be when I used to bench press 300 lbs and squat 550 lbs but I am happy hitting my driver 275." Start watching him and he was hitting it about 190 and rolling out to 200-205 which is definitely respectable for a guy his age but he would not stop with all the talk about how much weight he could lift and how "just 275" is okay for him now. He basically talked the entire time and his topics of choice were previous weightlifting feats, current exaggerated driving distances and then started in on tips for the guy next to him who barely replied to anything he said.

Dad and son are all decked out in ping gear....cool stuff

Dad said " I am going to hit over the fence, watch this.... (FYI, the range is deep 286 carry)

He hits it... and the 8 yr old said " dad, your ball landed on the 200 yds mark..."

The old man countered " my knee is locked, I hit over the fence all the time...

Priceless.

Mizuno MP 37 3i-pw
Mizuno MP 64 3i -pw
Ping G25
Scotty Newport
Cleveland wedges
Prov1x

I heard a guy at a tournament with a Professional and Amateur Division say the following." I'm going to play pro this week, but will go back to amateur next week". Pretty sure he would not scare any division he would have played in that week or any other. Just the fact of how he said it. I about wet myself laughing.

Similar to the post above early one Sunday at the range this guy in what I can only describe as £2-3k worth of gear (tour bag with name, every new Nike club, Nike head to toe apparel) and his disinterested 5 year old rock up.

After quite a few loud clangs (he was hitting everything but the club face, fairway etc) the wee boy said to everyone's amusement:

"Daaad...aren't you meant to hit the ball?"

After some more frustration and clangs:

"Daaad...why do you pretend to play golf?"

The guy left shortly after. It was brutal.

d95.jpg

Hammer 6.5*
GX7 12*
Warrior Golf 3-PW
Squarestrike UW
Alien 56*
Double Duty Putter

I did it... it was me....... been hitting the ball way longer.......did I mention way longer? so driver going 150 yards, its now going 200 yards... 50 yards longer........j/k anyways.....

@ a scramble tournament, partners talking about my distance.... asked for some advice..........yups nail in the coffin.... gave them the advice....

went to tee up and cold topped my drive, didnt go past the ladies tee.... told them for my ego I need to hit another one, for fun... yeah guess where that went.....

NEVER EVER giving any type of advice, ever!!!!!!!!! Golf Gods got me good!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Heard a bunch yesterday. Range and first tee were hoppin.

Story #1:

Dogfight on the first tee

First guy (after some banter back and forth)-"Will you hurry and get the f**k out of the way?"

Second guy-"You're a g** d*** 13.6 handicap. Shut the hell up!"

Story #2:

A different group of guys on the first tee...EXTREMELY loud.

Guy 1-"Do you want to play the blues or the whites?"

Guy 2-"Hell..we played the Gold tees (our back tees) the other day and we birdied everything."

Guy 3-"uhhh...what do you think?"

Guy 1 (I think)-"let's just play the blues today"

First tee ball snapped into the trees by the driving range. Didn't see where the others went.

Guy behind me on the range noticed my bottle of Sprite..."Guess those Lebron commercials are working!"

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I heard two things a few weeks ago...one to me and the other about me.

First one this guy next to me feels like giving me advice for some reason. I'm hitting my irons well, and I don't think he go anything past 150 or more than 10' in the air. He asks to see my club so I say OK. He shows me the grip...you see these marks, that's where your thumbs are supposed to go so you see a knuckle. I say I like to see at least two knuckles and he shakes his head saying you really like a strong grip lol. Thanks pal.

The second one almost had me fall over laughing. I'm not a good driver of the ball. My practice swings are fine, but I get the yips and get all tight when I have to actually hit the ball. So I've been working on impact drills with 'chips' with the driver, and then half swing, and so on. This guys tells his daughter to watch me and to swing like me cause I have a good swing LOL. I'm thinking man, you must want your kid to have a two way miss and yips for life!

• 5 months later...

Heard something that’s probably been told multiple times already in this thread.

Two guys were hitting balls on the range a few yds away from me. One guy asks the other how far it is to the blue flag. Second guy lasers it and says “293.â€

First guy says ok and grabs driver. First two balls carried about 185.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

I did it... it was me....... been hitting the ball way longer.......did I mention way longer? so driver going 150 yards, its now going 200 yards... 50 yards longer........j/k anyways.....

@ a scramble tournament, partners talking about my distance.... asked for some advice..........yups nail in the coffin.... gave them the advice....

went to tee up and cold topped my drive, didnt go past the ladies tee.... told them for my ego I need to hit another one, for fun... yeah guess where that went.....

NEVER EVER giving any type of advice, ever!!!!!!!!! Golf Gods got me good!

Were you playing Fort Worth rules?

A dad forcing his 5 year old son to learn a pre-shot routine. Have seen him and his wife forcing the kid to hit balls almost daily for well over a year now. Most of their sessions turn to negotiations where Jr is trying to get done sooner so he can get off the range.

That's just sad. Probably will make the kid hate the game. What are they trying to get him on tour to get their retirement secure?

I see waaayyy to much of this. If my kids want to play when they are old enough (3 and 1 month currently) I will provide them guidance when asked but they need to develop a love for the game if they want to take it seriously enough to have a pre shot routine

This evening at the driving range, a guy a couple of stalls to the left of me was "instructing" his ~13 year old daughter.

At one point I was walking back to my stall from the restroom and saw her swing with almost all of her weight on her rear foot entirely through the swing. I thought "Wow, that was sure hung back". Her dad says "See, your body was in front of the ball again, you need to stay behind the ball". What?! The only thing in front of the ball on that swing was her lead foot!

Later I heard him telling her to keep her head still. "You should still be looking at where the ball was at the end of your swing". (demos) "The only reason I can't do it is I'm not as young and flexible as you".

There was lots of frustration and increasing pitch and tempo of voices throughout the session. Not sure how many hosel-rockets he sent in front of me as he was demonstrating what he was "teaching" her.

Poor girl. I don't see her continuing this very long without good instruction and dad staying in the car while she practices.

today at the range there was a nice older guy hitting balls nice and quiet. Then he takes a swing and the silence was broken, he let out one Loud and long Fart. I almost died laughing, he looked saw me laughing and started himself. i was happy to be downwind from him. It was hilarious.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

i was happy to be downwind from him. It was hilarious.

You wanted to smell it?

[size=2][color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade RBZ 10.5°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade Burner 3W 15°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Sumo² 3H 21°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist AP1 710 4-P [/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 52°/56°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wilson Staff TW7 60°[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Odyssey Versa #9[/font][/color][/size]