Most ridiculous thing heard on the range

StarFleetGolfer

casual conversation between a friend and me at the lit up executive/range; older guy (60's) butts in and tells us to "be quiet..." almost lost my s*it. told him to join a country club.

Do you think Jack would have "lost his s*it" in that situation? I mean, if we're picking role models then Nicklaus is the epitome of grace under pressure.

sounds like you're the type of guy to pull the "be quiet" card on the range. are you serious in asking that question?

There are "be quiet" cards on on the driving range? I had no idea. I've only seen them at tournaments.

Look, I'm kind of old-fashioned. If an "older guy" - though I'm not sure why his age was relevant to your complaint - asks me to be quiet on the range I might not like it but I try to defer to older folks because I have this notion that they deserve my deference, even if they're being a bit of a jerk. Maybe I'm wrong but that's how I feel and try to behave. It just seems more civilized than "losing one's sh*t" over what is really nothing or at worst a momentary annoyance.

yeah, i guess we should all entertain and allow jerks to be outright rude and disrespectful to everyone. and yes, age is irrelevant... we should all be like you and DEFER to *****s on the driving range, course, and any public setting. thanks for setting the example on this thread.

way to be a hero markjay. gentlemen and a scholar.

#momentaryannoyance

I was hitting next to an 8 year old girl, in her soccer uniform, ( as I learned later) while her grandfather helped her out. He helped her with a grip, told her to keep her eye on the ball and told her to try and hit the ball out to the first elevated green flag. He laughed with her, told her she was doing great and clapped when she started getting a ball or two out to the flag. She had a great time before going to her soccer game.

I was hitting next to an 8 year old girl, in her soccer uniform, ( as I learned later) while her grandfather helped her out. He helped her with a grip, told her to keep her eye on the ball and told her to try and hit the ball out to the first elevated green flag. He laughed with her, told her she was doing great and clapped when she started getting a ball or two out to the flag. She had a great time before going to her soccer game.

Heartwarming, but how is this ridiculous?

Heartwarming, but how is this ridiculous?

Isn't it obvious? She's going to play soccer after hitting golf balls.

Last night, after warming up, I took 15 swings off a tee and 15 off a mat with a 7 iron and then repeated that a second time. Not warm enough to test off of grass.

The top two are the tee swings and the bottom two are off the mat. On the course I play my 7i at about 165 carry.

My local range uses recycled balls (not limited flight) and really only has mats (their grass area is pathetic). I have not noticed any sudden jump in distances when hitting off the mats there. I also have pulled out the laser to make sure of my distances to their markers.

You go to strawberry green?? If so, yeah that "grass" area is awful

Two guys in their 20s are yucking it up, having a good time smacking balls around. They don't seem to care much about being good, but they're having fun and I'm enjoying watching them. One of the guys takes a mighty lash with the driver. At the end of his follow through, the head snaps off and goes bouncing down the concrete behind him. Clang clang clang.....I'm imagining how the head is going to look when he picks it up.

I go down a few stalls to where they're at and say "I don't see that every day." He replies: "This isn't even my club, a friend gave it to me to try out and see if I want to buy it. I don't think I'm going to." Everyone laughed loudly.

I'm striping drives to the back of the rage on the fly and this older gentleman walks up to me and asks me how I hit the ball like that. He was about 70 years old. He observes me hitting and asks if he could hit my driver. I politely said no. :D

Sounds like you enjoy being proud of yourself.

Putting aside the passive (active?) brag part of the post, I will never understand people who think it's okay to go up to a complete stranger and ask to hit their driver.

Would you say to a stranger, "Hey nice phone, can I try calling someone on it?" or "Hey nice car, can I drive it?" or "Hey nice wife, can I...," well you get the idea.

thats the thing 30 plus years ago when cell phones first came about, i had one for work. I was a contractor salesman for Lowes and did outside sales. I had people ask me could they call their girlfriend or their mom to just talk on a cell phone. you had to tell them, they charge by the min. Finally I used to say, it would be 5 bucks to use my phone.

Just shows how modern technology has changed. And there were driving range hacks way back then. i had a 71 Grand Sport Buick with a 455 in it when i was in high school and college. I used to get asked all the time could someone drive it. And of course "swingers" been around centuries.

Any Cobra driver from the 00's

You win!!!!!

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I'm striping drives to the back of the rage on the fly and this older gentleman walks up to me and asks me how I hit the ball like that. He was about 70 years old. He observes me hitting and asks if he could hit my driver. I politely said no. :D

Sounds like you enjoy being proud of yourself.

Putting aside the passive (active?) brag part of the post, I will never understand people who think it's okay to go up to a complete stranger and ask to hit their driver.

Would you say to a stranger, "Hey nice phone, can I try calling someone on it?" or "Hey nice car, can I drive it?" or "Hey nice wife, can I...," well you get the idea.

thats the thing 30 plus years ago when cell phones first came about, i had one for work. I was a contractor salesman for Lowes and did outside sales. I had people ask me could they call their girlfriend or their mom to just talk on a cell phone. you had to tell them, they charge by the min. Finally I used to say, it would be 5 bucks to use my phone.

Just shows how modern technology has changed. And there were driving range hacks way back then. i had a 71 Grand Sport Buick with a 455 in it when i was in high school and college. I used to get asked all the time could someone drive it. And of course "swingers" been around centuries.

Exactly right. When I was a freshman in high school I got a pair of the original Nike Air basketball shoes. They were $90 at the time (1983 - I still remember my mother's apoplectic reaction at the store when we bought them). One of my teammates wore the same shoe size as me, and kept badgering me to let him wear them so he could try them out. I relented and let him wear them for one game....and he sprained his ankle. He never asked again.

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

So not a driving range story but kinda of is. I worked for Lowe's in the Mountains of WV in the southern coal fields in 1990 and 91. There were some big federal projects going on and I did a lot of commercial stuff. The Lowe's store was kinda out of the way and there was a coal tipple about a mile from the store. It takes time to load 100 to 150 coal cars on the rail road. Sometimes you would get stuck for an hour or hour and half just waiting for the coal train to be filled and move on down the tracks. It was just part of life. There was one sporting good store in the little town of Williamson Wv. They had a 7 iron in there that had been a demo club. It was a 70s model WIlson Staff. I bought the iron for 5 bucks. SO when I got stopped by the train. I would pick up golf ball sized rocks and lay them on the black top and hit them with the 7 iron up on the mtn beside the road. Mostly from pure boredom. And I was trying to groove a swing back then. I would have people get out of their cars and trucks as traffic could back up for miles and come talk to me. They would ask what are you doing? Hitting rocks. Why are you hitting rocks? I am bored. Do you play golf. (it was 63 miles to the closest golf course.) and further to the better ones. But at no time did I get any swing help. I found out later, people started calling me that "guy that hits rocks". To the Mountain people I was really weird. And I cant by any means put on here some of the things that I saw while working in that area.

Last night, after warming up, I took 15 swings off a tee and 15 off a mat with a 7 iron and then repeated that a second time. Not warm enough to test off of grass.

The top two are the tee swings and the bottom two are off the mat. On the course I play my 7i at about 165 carry.

My local range uses recycled balls (not limited flight) and really only has mats (their grass area is pathetic). I have not noticed any sudden jump in distances when hitting off the mats there. I also have pulled out the laser to make sure of my distances to their markers.

You go to strawberry green?? If so, yeah that "grass" area is awful

Nah, never been but we have lots of those around m way. Tough to find a good public range with grass.

Recently, I heard a guy talking about the "hole must be cut too small, it just doesn't look right, and it's affecting my score.'' His buddy replies with, "What's the size of the hole have to do with you losing 4 balls in the woods, and 3 in the water?''......Followed by, "Yeah, but putting is where i'm REALLY struggling!".....LOL

So not a driving range story but kinda of is. I worked for Lowe's in the Mountains of WV in the southern coal fields in 1990 and 91. There were some big federal projects going on and I did a lot of commercial stuff. The Lowe's store was kinda out of the way and there was a coal tipple about a mile from the store. It takes time to load 100 to 150 coal cars on the rail road. Sometimes you would get stuck for an hour or hour and half just waiting for the coal train to be filled and move on down the tracks. It was just part of life. There was one sporting good store in the little town of Williamson Wv. They had a 7 iron in there that had been a demo club. It was a 70s model WIlson Staff. I bought the iron for 5 bucks. SO when I got stopped by the train. I would pick up golf ball sized rocks and lay them on the black top and hit them with the 7 iron up on the mtn beside the road. Mostly from pure boredom. And I was trying to groove a swing back then. I would have people get out of their cars and trucks as traffic could back up for miles and come talk to me. They would ask what are you doing? Hitting rocks. Why are you hitting rocks? I am bored. Do you play golf. (it was 63 miles to the closest golf course.) and further to the better ones. But at no time did I get any swing help. I found out later, people started calling me that "guy that hits rocks". To the Mountain people I was really weird. And I cant by any means put on here some of the things that I saw while working in that area.

not fair to tease us that way!

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Been down around that way quite a bit. I bet the fine folks of Mingo County thought you were crazy.

Been down around that way quite a bit. I bet the fine folks of Mingo County thought you were crazy.

yes my Saturday night entertainment was watching the coal miners fight in the parking lots after 11pm from my bedroom window. my ex wife is from that area, crazier than a bedbug.

yes my Saturday night entertainment was watching the coal miners fight in the parking lots after 11pm from my bedroom window. my ex wife is from that area, crazier than a bedbug.

Can you say "Deliverance"??????

This was on the putting green a couple weeks ago...

I was having a heck of a putting session and was draining putts all over. An older guy came up to me and said along the lines of...

"You're making putts like crazy - why arent you using a Scotty Cameron?" (I use a TP Red Ardmore 3)

Curious to hear what your response was...

This was on the putting green a couple weeks ago...

I was having a heck of a putting session and was draining putts all over. An older guy came up to me and said along the lines of...

"You're making putts like crazy - why arent you using a Scotty Cameron?" (I use a TP Red Ardmore 3)

Curious to hear what your response was...

I said "Jesus Christ" and walked away.

A lot of bunk golf tips that are stupid and just messing the other guy up. A lot of is usually valid to one point yet has no relation to what they guy was hitting,like a 9 iron with driver tips and bad grip ideas making them bend their knees to much or telling them to swing like Jason Day, but they guy is 5-7 150 pounds left handed and was a beginner.

Couple guys a few stalls down from me getting excited about “reaching” the back fence of the range.... roughly 300 yards away. From my angle I could see dust kick up at about 175 yards.... must have been one hell of a roll out. They were having fun.... that’s all that matters.