i20 users...really that good?

russian7

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they are really that good. This is the first time in a long time that I have no intentions of switching irons. I was playing well with my Cleveland 588CB's(they are still awesome irons) but finally grabbed the i20 iron demo out of the barrel at my local range. I was hooked almost immediately. The one reservation I had was the long irons which I know seems counterintuitive since they are supposed to be easier to hit. I have always been a very good long iron player with mb's or player's cb's. Butter knives just suite me for some reason. I was reluctant to go with something with this much offset and this wide of a sole. I purchased the i20's anyway. After about three swings with the 3 iron, all reservations vanished. i20's just have it all in my opinion. Forgiveness, workability. High, low, you name it. Took me a little time to get accustomed to the distances I hit them. I hit my irons above average length to begin with, but these having a little stronger lofts than I am used to has me using one less club on a routine basis. They feel is just solid. i20 woods are awesome as well. I am using i20's driver through PW. Seems ridiculous but it's working well for me. Eventually I'll land a G25 driver, because driver is never safe. 3 wood thru PW is locked in though. I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed when yours arrive.

I think the reaso they are so popular is because they are a SGI iron but with a player iron label. They are what most ams should be playing, but usually aren't cause ams have to play 'tour' clubs. If you replaced the i with a g and changed nothing else, these would not be popular with the low handicap brigade.

Had a set with C Tapers and actually sold them because they were too long and messed with my yardage gaps (very attached to my wedges so wasn't changing them for anything!). Tried Rocketbladez Tours (which were bloody awful just quietly), virtually the entire 712 range minus the AP1's, MP69's (and a few other random short lived trials) and every single one of them left me pining for my old i20's. Regardless of odd gaps, I just couldn't miss with those things. So I've jumped back in and bought a set of heads, now to track down some more C Tapers. Happy days again :D

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1384153067' post='8130426']
I think the reaso they are so popular is because they are a SGI iron but with a player iron label. They are what most ams should be playing
[/quote]

Sorry,I have to disagree. After playing G15's and I20's, They are not even in the same ballpark in terms of forgiveness.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I just got a set a month ago and after playing the g25's all season I like the i20's better.
I hit them more solid and like the ball flight better.
These irons just work better for me.
I hope you enjoy yours.

Callaway mavrik max 10.5

Callaway mavrik max 3 & 5 wood
Ping g30  26* & 30* hybrids
Ping i200 6 - UW

Ping glide 54* & 60* wedges
Odyssey #7 putter

After hitting them only once off the mats at the range, I played a round with them today. Dampish conditions. i20s were awesome. Good turf interaction, solid feel, stock stiff shafts felt great. One of my best days for ball striking. Despite a 'Vandeveldian-like' bogey, bogey finish, the i20s led me to a 77. Super pumped about my purchase!
*I am not a huge fan of the monotone satin finish, but it will grow on me if they continue to perform this way :)

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

I would like opinions about wear also. Are the grooves thinner than the G series? Are they clad?

i20seven.jpg

If the 7 iron is showing no impact damage and the finish just started de-laminating, I would ask Ping for assistance. Some of the early I20's and the S56's had this issue. To the best of my knowledge Ping was very accommodating.

Good luck

Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
Ping G25 4W
Ping G30 21 7W Tour 65X
Ping S55 4-PW S400
Ping Eye2 Gorge S, L
Byron Morgan DH89

Overall the best irons I have ever used. So easy to hit straight. As close to forged feel as you can want without actually being forged. In 10 years they will still look cool, their faces will hold up, and I doubt much technology will have passed them by.

There are a few things I don't totally love about them. I have a hard time hitting a small cut with them. These darn clubs just want to go straight or a slight draw for me. If there is a pin on the rihgt side of the green, I can't cut the ball in and keep the ballflight high. The flange or bounce of the club is a little too pronounced for me. I'm not a digger, so I tned to hit some thin shots with these. Not the best for tight, bermuda fairways in my experience.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='lawsonman' timestamp='1384217260' post='8134172']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1384153067' post='8130426']
I think the reaso they are so popular is because they are a SGI iron but with a player iron label. They are what most ams should be playing
[/quote]

Sorry,I have to disagree. After playing G15's and I20's, They are not even in the same ballpark in terms of forgiveness.
[/quote]

+1. Nothing about the i20's resembles a SGI iron.

I would like opinions about wear also. Are the grooves thinner than the G series? Are they clad?

i20seven.jpg

If the 7 iron is showing no impact damage and the finish just started de-laminating, I would ask Ping for assistance. Some of the early I20's and the S56's had this issue. To the best of my knowledge Ping was very accommodating.

Good luck

Could you elaborate on this? The wear on mine is pretty brutal and they're relatively new.

Adams Speedline 9.5*
RBZ 15° 3W
TMAG Rescue '11 - 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 4-GW PXi 6.0
50* Scratch 8520 / 54.07+60.04 Vokey SM4
Odyssey Sabretooth

If the finish is literally peeling off the head of the club, as it appears in the photo, and is not a result of damage caused by a rock or any other normal course of play. Ask Ping to look at it for a warranty repair. All reports of de-lamination were repaired by Ping under warranty on S56, Tour S wedges and I-20's.

They will not warranty normal wear, however, if the plating (de-lamination) is coming off on its own they will help. If you're unhappy because they no longer appear new, you are on your own.

Call Ping customer service or visit your closest Ping retailer for an opinion.

Good luck

Ping G30 9.0 Tour 80X
Ping G25 4W
Ping G30 21 7W Tour 65X
Ping S55 4-PW S400
Ping Eye2 Gorge S, L
Byron Morgan DH89

PING makes great clubs. I played the anser irons, similar to i20 however I could never get used to the turf interaction and struggled with the offset in the longer clubs, I love the reduced offset in the short irons although didn't care for the added bounce . The irons inspire confidence and are very forgiving, The soles are wider with a lot of bounce (3i = 4* thru PW = 12*) and under firm conditions or tight lies, I could feel when the contact wasn't pure however still putting for birdies. My swing is more of a sweeper than a digger. I think the clubs would work great for someone that takes big divots, as mine are shallow would probably do better with S56. I'm decided to go back to blade style for the reduced offset & turf interaction on the sole grinds that I am use to playing.

Thanks for the help people but those irons aren't mine. I pulled that pic off ebay after a 30 second search. I see hideous wear and delamination on those irons [b]all the time[/b]. I love Ping, really I do, and plan to buy another set of irons soon but I buy Ping irons to last a lifetime. I still game my i3 8-9-W. There is just no way that I can see a set of i20s looking decent when they get more than a few years play on them, especially around sand or saltwater, and that just will not do for me. I had a set of clad irons once and will NEVER buy another.

I bought a set in Feb. 2012 and they have been in the bag since without a thought of removing them. Best set of irons I've ever played in terms of the combination of forgiveness while still retaining playability and accuracy.

The only thing I can see needing any improvement is softening the feel up a little at impact.......but that is a very minor complaint.

Titleist 915D2 9.5* Rogue Black 95MSI 60S
Callaway XHot Pro 15* Project X 6.5
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 2 Iron C-Taper X
Bridgeston J40CB 3-PW Project X 6.0
Ping Anser 54*,60* Project X 6.0
Taylormade Imola 8 35"

[quote name='SHORTBUTSTR8' timestamp='1384218726' post='8134326']
Just looked at my build tag and mine were built in Sept. 2013 so hopefully after the delaminating issue was corrected.
[/quote]

It was corrected in June of 2012...although there is obviously a lot of the darker satin finishes out there in the secondary market.

Cobra LTD Pro Matrix Ozik 75M4 Black Tie Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 3W Fuji Speeder TS 8.3 Xflex
TaylorMade TP R15 20* Fuji Speeder 869 TS Xflex
Mizuno JPX-900 Tour 4-PW KBS CTaper Xflex
Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS CTaper Xflex
OdysseyWorks 38" 2 Ball Fang

Surprised to hear about the delamination issue. First thing I thought when I saw the finish was that it looks bullet proof. Hopefully mine won't be affected!

Driver (10):  Titleist TSR3 (Tour AD DI 6s)
3 Wood (16.5):  Titleist TSR2 (Tour AD DI 7s)
Hybrid (19):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Hybrid (22):  Titleist TSi2 (Tour AD DI 85s)
Irons (5-G):  Titleist T100S (TT Elevate Tour)
Wedges:  54/58:  Vokey SM9 (PX LZ 6.0 -- Onyx)
Putter:  Toulon Las Vegas 2022

I bought my i20s last November and I have put easily 100 rounds on them since, and no abnormal wear for me so far. My 8i has a sole scuff or two from probably an immobile rock I caught during my swing, and I dropped my 6i once on concrete and put a little scuff on it. Otherwise all of the irons look fine, obviously they have some wear signs but definitely no damage. I think odds are good most sets are not going to have that problem.

I'm on my 3rd set of i20s!! The first set I pre-ordered back in 2012 and played maybe a dozen rounds. At that point, I really missed my MP-53, so I sold the Pings and re-purchased my MP-53. Having 3 young kids, I realized I needed a little more forgivness since my playing time was limted, so I sold MP-53 and purchased another set of i20, black dot with the CFS stiff shaft. I really didn't like the CFS shafts and was having all sorts of distance control issues. Along comes an opportunity to purchase a JPX825 Pros, offer was too good to pass up.... sold the i20s again. Played a half dozen rounds with them and they were nice. One day, I was prusing the bay and up pops another set of I20, this time with all the right specs...dgs300 shafts, d2 swingweight, purple dot (maybe a tad flat for me). Wow, this is a different animal with my old tried and true dgs shafts. Picked back up the distance I lost with the CFS shafts and much more control. Needless to say, the JPX825 Pros have gone buy buy and the Pings are back in the bag. I'm really hoping I can control myself and keep these in the bag for at least another year!!

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1384359825' post='8142950']
On a side note, the past couple of months I have also added a G25 driver and FW along with an Anser hybrid. I REALLY didn't see that coming... I have always been a Titleist / Mizuno guys, but now have almost a full Ping bag???
[/quote]

Me too, my 913 D3 fell way side to the G25 and the 913Fd lost out to an Anser 17* hybrid. Two Ping metal woods in the bag, driver and hybrid, then 3-UW i20s and two wedges, one Gorge 54 and one Vokey 58. I do think the Gorge could fall to a SM5 this spring.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV