2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Callaway Big Bertha

Look very nice. I like the sound of them myself. I'm not sure what the price will be be but I refuse to pay $400 for any driver.Even if it was truly 20 yards longer and more accurate.

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,23.5,28.5 Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Redwood Anser

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='reg1900' timestamp='1385985322' post='8235966']
[quote name='DaveMc' timestamp='1385983014' post='8235920']
Not sure if these have been posted...from the new look Callaway web site. Sorry I struggle with hyper-links!

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/big-bertha-alpha-driver-product-video.html?cgid=blog"]http://www.callawayg....html?cgid=blog[/url]

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/big-bertha-driver-product-video.html?cgid=news"]http://www.callawayg....html?cgid=news[/url]

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/big-bertha-fairway-wood-product-video.html?cgid=news"]http://www.callawayg....html?cgid=news[/url]
[/quote]

Very high pitched sound to those drivers
[/quote]

Thought the opposite
Hard to say for sure, but I'd say very muted sound, like FT Tour muted
Like the sound....color is too patriotic for me
I know it's the bottom of the club, but still

I'll def give it a spin when the demos come to our club

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

As I understand it you can adjust for launch. Wouldn't getting properly fitted take care of that?

By the way, it's a beautiful looking driver. I look forward to giving it a try.

ps: I've never been a big fan of adjustable drivers. I have one now, which is what I was fitted for. I never adjust it as I don't need to.

Harry - is the apple with the Cally logo on the website a cap tip to Sir Isaac Newton and CG adjustment?

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Cool looking drivers, definitely looking forward to trying the Alpha.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1385988343' post='8236014']
As I understand it you can adjust for launch. Wouldn't getting properly fitted take care of that?

ps: I've never been a big fan of adjustable drivers. I have one now, which is what I was fitted for. I never adjust it as I don't need to.
[/quote]

Yes, but in some cases it's difficult to get the right launch and spin conditions. When you go up in loft, your spinrate goes up as well. The Gravity Core should give you the option to go up in loft, while still keeping the spin down. Definitely an interesting concept. In relation to this, I really hope that Callaway isn't going to only offer this in one (albeit adjustable) loft like the Optiforce, as it would just seem so much easier to get fit perfectly with every loft available.

I never fiddle with the adjustability either. I see it more as a tool for a fitter to really dial you in, and then after the fitting you should just throw away the wrench :)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1385990102' post='8236078']
[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1385990002' post='8236072']
Harry - is the apple with the Cally logo on the website a cap tip to Sir Isaac Newton and CG adjustment?
[/quote]

Hey Dr. Bones, what was Sr. Isaac's handicap index?
[/quote]

Id say he's a 10+, would not be a WRX member ave less than 300 yds, definite putter Ho. Prob an IQ out the whazzu though.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I like the colors - will have to see how it performs; anyone touch that new Fubuki shaft yet?

Weights sold separately I would guess

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

You do notice the 'big difference' between the Callaway adjustable COG and Wishon's? The Wishon driver simply has different screw-in weights, much like draw-fade toe-heel weighting screws, that sit on the bottom of the sole. The Callaway's adjustable COG (as per the video, "4 forms of adjustability....but there's only 3 screws?".... the 4th comes from the center pin with end weight can be placed with weight-high or weight-low depending on which side you slide it in?). So the COG weighting can be placed higher into the center of the head, or keep it low on the sole plate.... check the opening photo of the pin vs. the one at 22 seconds into the video.

Hopefully, Wishon had himself IP-protected on that, and made a good $$ licensing that to Cally, otherwise he needs to get a new patent attorney (hopefully he did protect himself on that tech?....which is why you might not see anything recently submitted to the USPTO, that it's a licensing of an older patent?). Rip off?... not in this litigious environment....could be like the reason Taylormade bought out Adams, without having to license their 'speed-slot' technology, just bought the Adam's golf company and the speed-slot patents that went with them, lol.

[url="http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&key=202af8f4ce9f2b881bf497a8a3f5add2&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfwrx.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F932458-callaway-big-bertha%2Fpage__st__1050&v=1&libId=b4cc727a-4153-4b20-bc70-32948ccbce65&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.callawaygolf.com%2Fbig-bertha-alpha-driver-product-video.html%3Fcgid%3Dblog&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.golfwrx.com%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F932458-callaway-big-bertha%2Fpage__st__1050&reaf=true&title=Callaway%20Big%20Bertha%20-%20Tour%20and%20Pre-Release%20Equipment%20-%20GolfWRX%20-%20Page%2036&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.callawayg....html%3Fcgid%3Dblog&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_138599101305312"][color=#0F72DA]http://www.callawayg....html?cgid=blog[/color][/url]

[quote name='reg1900' timestamp='1385984880' post='8235954']
I'm a lot less impressed with Callaway after someone pointing out the changeable COG has already been done. Pretty much means both of the Big Bertha drivers are rip offs from previous models. Mizuno Fast track and Wishon 739. When I heard Callaway was doing an adjustable COG driver I thought it would be with weights at the front of the sole and back. Looks like Wishon and I think a like.

[url="http://wishongolf.com/designs/drivers/739-ccg/"]http://wishongolf.co...rivers/739-ccg/[/url]

[attachment=1970136:739-Main.jpg]
[/quote]

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1385990599' post='8236100']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1385990102' post='8236078']
[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1385990002' post='8236072']
[/quote]

Hey Dr. Bones, what was Sr. Isaac's handicap index?
[/quote]

Id say he's a 10+, would not be a WRX member ave less than 300 yds, definite putter Ho. Prob an IQ out the whazzu though.
[/quote]

Nah, I think he would be an expert on "The Golfing Machine" have a great short game and be a good strategist too. Scratch to +3 perhaps but not a long hitter 250-270 off the tee at best.

Well, Cally definitely got the promotional splash display on their web site:

[url="http://www.callawaygolf.com/?locale=en_US"]http://www.callawaygolf.com/?locale=en_US[/url]

GHIN Index 12.9

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver:

• Everything we’ve learned about adjustable drivers (and that’s a lot) has led to the Big Bertha Alpha. It’s a total performance package of maximum distance, and….it’s the most advanced driver anyone’s ever made. When you take the revolutionary new Gravity Core, enhance it with Moveable Weight, and dial in the Advanced Adjustable Hosel, you’ll be longer than you’ve ever been.
  • New Advanced Adjustable Hosel Technology
    Increase or decrease your loft (up to +2° or down -1°) and adjust Draw or Neutral bias, optimizing your launch, backspin and dialing in your preferred shot shape. In a few clicks, you’ll be fit for maximizing your distance with more accuracy.

hosel.png

gravity-core.png

big_screen.png

GHIN Index 12.9

I'm a lot less impressed with Callaway after someone pointing out the changeable COG has already been done. Pretty much means both of the Big Bertha drivers are rip offs from previous models. Mizuno Fast track and Wishon 739. When I heard Callaway was doing an adjustable COG driver I thought it would be with weights at the front of the sole and back. Looks like Wishon and I think a like.

[url="http://wishongolf.com/designs/drivers/739-ccg/"]http://wishongolf.co...rivers/739-ccg/[/url]

[/quote]

I'm not sure I see the similarity here at all. Being able to move the cog is not new by any means of course but being able to raise or lower it from near bottom to near top of the club is new. I don't see the similarity in the Wishon design which perhaps did allow you to move it from rear to front a bit but not higher to lower really. Additionally The Wishon design is supposed to allow you to change the launch angle but there is no claim it appreciably alters the ball spin rate, which is what Callaway is attempting to achieve.

Damn, definitely not as classy looking as the original. With a re release of a iconic name like Big Bertha you think they would have taken the original design and color-scheme and just modified it... really tired of plastic looking drivers. At least they should have made the Alpha with the old grey and raw look. What's the CC of these heads? I couldn't find it on Callaway's description, no detailed specs.

Just look at the guys on tour, back in 2005 Scott Hend was leading the tour at 319 yards per drive and Tiger was second at 316. Distance gains have been capped with COR limits and balls have been similar solid core for years. Tour guys are always well fit, so the distance gains over the last 10 years are minimal if none. If you were a 5 handicap that was fit for a r7 425 years ago, you still will not benefit from anything new that has been released.

The name of the game is to make something new and shiny and to sell it. If you are a high handicap and need help getting the ball in the air with minimal side spin, get a Titleist 907 D1... the most forgiving, least workable driver I've ever hit. If you want maximum performance and are a good ball striker, choose from a huge assortment of clubs in the last 10 years that are high COR and suit your ball flight preference (most of the TM tp series, callaway ft tour, titleist 983 or 905 models).

Spend your extra dollars on lessons and supporting your golf course and the people that work there.

Taylormade 320 driver

SYB-714 5-wood

GEOM Moe odds

GEOM 57/ 13

Kirkland ball

Halflight Golf Bag

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver:

• Everything we’ve learned about adjustable drivers (and that’s a lot) has led to the Big Bertha Alpha. It’s a total performance package of maximum distance, and….it’s the most advanced driver anyone’s ever made. When you take the revolutionary new Gravity Core, enhance it with Moveable Weight, and dial in the Advanced Adjustable Hosel, you’ll be longer than you’ve ever been.
  • New Advanced Adjustable Hosel Technology
    Increase or decrease your loft (up to +2° or down -1°) and adjust Draw or Neutral bias, optimizing your launch, backspin and dialing in your preferred shot shape. In a few clicks, you’ll be fit for maximizing your distance with more accuracy.

hosel.png

gravity-core.png

big_screen.png

Thanks for posting!!! Ok, I'm sold!!!

So do they combine the two technologies in the next year offering?.... Adjustable perimeter weighting and the adjustable cog? Why would they not have done that all in 1 shot with 1 driver and make a killing unless they think they can sell a lot of the combined tech's in one driver later (where they are already machined to do both of them separately, selling them in 1 driver would make a killing when they have already tooled out the two separately, no?).

GHIN Index 12.9

New Advanced Adjustable Hosel Technology

So I guess the "9.0" is the standard loft setting (see loft stamp on the hosel in the photo) and +2 or -1 allows you to go from 11.0 down to 8.0, exactly around my range.

small_left_screen.png

GHIN Index 12.9

And there they are. Website looks much better as well.

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple  8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

TM Qi10 15* / Project X HZRDUS Black 8X        

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel ARRAY F3 w/ 3 line alignment

Harry A,
See post 254 in this thread. I have been a loyal Callaway user since Sir Isaac was first used in your advertising. I saw the hat you gave to Doc Hock in one of the videos and I NEED one of those. I don't say want one, I NEED one. When will those be available? I'm just as excited about the hat as the driver. :smilie_cally:

[quote name='Riuzzi' timestamp='1385990501' post='8236096']
Cool looking drivers, definitely looking forward to trying the Alpha.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1385988343' post='8236014']

[/quote]

Yes, but in some cases it's difficult to get the right launch and spin conditions. When you go up in loft, your spinrate goes up as well. The Gravity Core should give you the option to go up in loft, while still keeping the spin down. Definitely an interesting concept. In relation to this, I really hope that Callaway isn't going to only offer this in one (albeit adjustable) loft like the Optiforce, as it would just seem so much easier to get fit perfectly with every loft available.

[b]I never fiddle with the adjustability either. I see it more as a tool for a fitter to really dial you in, and then after the fitting you should just throw away the wrench[/b] :)
[/quote]

Exactly...as related to the bolded part. Which is why I would rather have a fixed head.

As to your other point, I don't see the need to go up in loft if you have been properly fitted. Sure one can ask, "But what if it's windy?" But the wind can be in your face on one hole, downwind the next, and sideways after that.

Perhaps I'm dense, but I don't really see the point if you have a properly fitted driver. :-)

[quote name='Dpavs' timestamp='1385992359' post='8236180']

[/quote]

I'm not sure I see the similarity here at all. Being able to move the cog is not new by any means of course but being able to raise or lower it from near bottom to near top of the club is new. I don't see the similarity in the Wishon design which perhaps did allow you to move it from rear to front a bit but not higher to lower really. Additionally The Wishon design is supposed to allow you to change the launch angle but there is no claim it appreciably alters the ball spin rate, which is what Callaway is attempting to achieve.
[/quote]

You don't think a decrease of 500 RPM in spin rate is appreciable?

TM R11 w Accra SC 75 M4
Nike Covert 2.0 3w w Accra Tour Z M4
Adams Grey Peanut 24* Aldila By You 80X
MP32 6-PW PX 6.0
Cobra Trust Rusty 56* and 60* S200 Shaft
DW Davis Custom Anser Style Putter

that gravity core seems very interesting. I wonder how well it will work. Overall the alpha seems to be a great driver

Qi10 9* w/Ventus Blue TR 6TX

BRNR Mini 13.5* w/Tensei Pro Orange 80TX
TSr3 18* w/Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

TP 08’ 3-PW w/MMT 125TX

Mg4 50*, 56*, 60* w/DG S400

Tour Spider V DB 
TP5X 24'