Most Over Rated Course on the Major Rotation

JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited Sep 3, 2016 in Tour Talk #1
Clear winner imo is Whistling Straits. First the bunker debacle that cost DJ a spot in the playoff.

Next Jason Day makes a mockery of this supposedly unrelenting test by shooting a majors record 20 under par winning total.

The course owners were just trying to capitalize on the dumb consumer thinking they could draw them in because majors are played there. But jt seriously got exposed. It doesn't even produce very many memorable shots.
TM M1 2017 10.5 Aldila NV 2KXVM 65x
M1 2016 3W HL Tensei CK White 70x 
Ping G410 HB 19 KBS Graphite Tour Hybrid 85s+
Callaway Apex 2019 4 - AW KBS Tour 120s (hard stepped 1x)
Yururi Tataki Wedges 52.5 and 60.5 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0x
Ping Anser 2 Milled
NDMC Grips (extra wrap lower half to reduce taper)
ProV1x
UA Jordan Spieth 2
Footjoy Tour Glove (optional, often times play without glove)
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,283 ClubWRX
  • starsail85starsail85 Members Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    St Andrews ... Although they seem to have a good tournament every time
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58
  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    starsail85 wrote:

Well you cant argue with its history , the players usually end up embracing it, and it's never given up -20 like whistling straits.
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
  • elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    St.Andrew's. The town is awesome but the Old Course is not the masterpiece it is made out to be. It has history and tradition but also several really bland holes and the 11th is Mickey Mouse par 3.

In USA I have to say Oakmont leaves me cold, as does Bethpage. Slogfests and not overly aesthetic.
  • knock it closeknock it close Members Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2016 #6
    JD3 wrote:

starsail85 wrote:

Well you cant argue with its history , the players usually end up embracing it, and it's never given up -20 like whistling straits.
    I mean Tiger was -19 there in 2000, Spieth was -18 at ANGC, does that make it a poor course too?
    M2, maybe
    915 FD
    913 HD
    712u 3
    714 AP2 4-p
    SM5 53, 59
    Circa62
  • tannyhobantannyhoban Members Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    All of them. Too much hype these days.
  • JD3JD3 Members Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2016 #8

JD3 wrote:

starsail85 wrote:

I mean Tiger was -19 there in 2000, Spieth was -18 at ANGC, does that make it a poor course too?

Well they also play that course every year. Its been analyzed inside and out, and there a lot more opportunities to shoot low scores. Whistling straits it took them just 2 tries to pulverize it
    Ping Anser 2 Milled
    ProV1x
    UA Jordan Spieth 2
  • JasonicJasonic Gamer Banned Posts: 3,571 ✭✭
    Any PGA champ course.

St. Andrews is awesome, totally different style of golf. Can't judge until you've played it. But that's just my opinion image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
    Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Ping Anser OG
    Snell MTB Black
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Harding Park, easily. Totally unremarkable muni.
    pga43 wrote:

Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

St. Andrews is awesome, totally different style of golf. Can't judge until you've played it. But that's just my opinion image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

If St Andrews was in the middle of Iowa, they'd be lucky to get $7 for greens fees because of the course conditions. IMO

Greg

Can't quite read your tone but that sounds like an incredibly ignorant comment . Explain to me how you think the old course is in poor condition ?
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

• Browns71213Browns71213 Members Posts: 582 ✭✭
    So if I understand your definition of an overrated course, and correct me if I am wrong, it would be a course that today's players can overpower with low scores. Does that mean that Pebble Beach is overrated, because Tiger sure had his way with it during a major. Just my personal opinion, I find Bethpage Black greatly overrated. Is it a great public course for being in NYC? Sure it is. But my experience playing it was that its just long and has brutal rough and I would be fine never playing it again. New Yorkers- I look forward to your hate mail. LOL!
    Calloway Big Bertha 460 9* Driver
    Cleveland HiBore XLS S 13* 3 Wood
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 33 16* Hybrid
    Kasco Super Hyten K2K 44 19* Hybrid
    Original King Cobra Irons 4-SW
    Snake Eyes 58* Wedge
    Odyssey Versa #7H 35" Putter
  • bruinsPATSirishbruinsPATSirish Golf is hard. Members Posts: 6,429 ✭✭

So if I understand your definition of an overrated course, and correct me if I am wrong, it would be a course that today's players can overpower with low scores. Does that mean that Pebble Beach is overrated, because Tiger sure had his way with it during a major. Just my personal opinion, I find Bethpage Black greatly overrated. Is it a great public course for being in NYC? Sure it is. But my experience playing it was that its just long and has brutal rough and I would be fine never playing it again. New Yorkers- I look forward to your hate mail. LOL!

Sounds like OP just didn't like Whistling Straights on his recent trip and wanted to start a "general" thread about overrated major venues...

I could be wrong though.
    bruinsPATSirish WITB!
    Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
    Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
    TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
    Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
    Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole
  • cdnglfcdnglf Members Posts: 3,446 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Sep 3, 2016 #16
    JD3 wrote:

JD3 wrote:

starsail85 wrote:

Well they also play that course every year. Its been analyzed inside and out, and there a lot more opportunities to shoot low scores. Whistling straits it took them just 2 tries to pulverize it

Whistling Straits has hosted the PGA Championship 3 times (and it will host the Ryder Cup in 2020 too).
  • callawayjaycallawayjay Goofiest Left Handed Swing Ever Members Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pga43 wrote:

Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

If St Andrews was in the middle of Iowa, they'd be lucky to get $7 for greens fees because of the course conditions. IMO

Greg

And they would hold the tournament at The Harvester because that course has some teeth
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Members Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

I've played it. Not a patch on Carnoustie or Royal St Georges in my opinion. But in its defence, I think you need to play it a few times to get used to some of the holes.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
    Bingo1976 wrote:

Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

I've played it. Not a patch on Carnoustie or Royal St Georges in my opinion. But in its defence, I think you need to play it a few times to get used to some of the holes.

St. Andrews is a nice course but it's days as a championship venue are long gone, if it wasn't for the history and infrastructure it wouldn't get the Open Championship. Both the new and jubilee courses next door are much tougher. It's definitely the easiest course on the championship rota , last 2 events -17 and -16 in fairly tough conditions . You have the Irish open at County Down and everybody is over par
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

• bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,632 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Whistling straights gets my vote on the " bunkers" alone. What a joke. People standing in actual bunkers. Epic fail
    Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

pga43 wrote:

starsail85 wrote:

pga43 wrote:

Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

Greg

Can't quite read your tone but that sounds like an incredibly ignorant comment . Explain to me how you think the old course is in poor condition ?

I walked all 18 holes the Sunday before the Scottish Open (the course was closed so I walked it and took photos of each hole) and there was at least 100+ divots per every fairway and the greens were in really bad shape. Lots of bare ground in play. It looked very much like a very abused muni. So the fact that I was there recently, walked the course and have been in the golf business for 48 years (34 as a PGA Golf professional), I think it was based on eye witnessed fact and not so much an "incredibly ignorant comment".

But I did say it was my opinion. The first time Sam Snead saw St Andrews he said "we would't even grow cow beets on land that looked like this place"

Greg

Fair play you are certainly entitled to have an opinion and have the first hand experience to make on seing as though you have visited the place

No secret the old gets a lot of golf traffic and divots are always a problem on any real links course that recieves more golf than the land was designed to do. Hence they shut the course in the month leading up to the Open .

The greens and fairways were immaculate when I played

What is your opinion of the other links courses in UK?
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

• PGAroxPGArox Members Posts: 10,288 ✭✭
    They're all pitch 'n' putts.
  • pga43pga43 GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer Nashville,_ TNMarshals Posts: 9,312 mod
    starsail85 wrote:

pga43 wrote:

starsail85 wrote:

pga43 wrote:

Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

Greg

I walked all 18 holes the Sunday before the Scottish Open (the course was closed so I walked it and took photos of each hole) and there was at least 100+ divots per every fairway and the greens were in really bad shape. Lots of bare ground in play. It looked very much like a very abused muni. So the fact that I was there recently, walked the course and have been in the golf business for 48 years (34 as a PGA Golf professional), I think it was based on eye witnessed fact and not so much an "incredibly ignorant comment".

But I did say it was my opinion. The first time Sam Snead saw St Andrews he said "we would't even grow cow beets on land that looked like this place"

Greg

Fair play you are certainly entitled to have an opinion and have the first hand experience to make on seing as though you have visited the place

No secret the old gets a lot of golf traffic and divots are always a problem on any real links course that recieves more golf than the land was designed to do. Hence they shut the course in the month leading up to the Open .

The greens and fairways were immaculate when I played

What is your opinion of the other links courses in UK?

I wish the R&A would take The Open back to Prestwick, like the USGA did with Merion. They would really have to limit the number of spectators and not allow patrons down certain parts of the course but I'd love to see it. Loved the re-work done to Turnberry. Royal Aberdeen was my favorite of the 10 golf courses I walked this year.

Greg
    GolfWRX.com
    twitter @gdm43pga
  • farmerfarmer Members Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    To make a fair assessment, WRX should start a gofundme so that I can go play these courses. At the end of the journey, I will give a fair accounting of each course. I will provide all my own equipment, but will need a travel, lodging, and food fund. As well as access and green fees.
  • Scottyguy68Scottyguy68 Members Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭
    elwhippy wrote:

St.Andrew's. The town is awesome but the Old Course is not the masterpiece it is made out to be. It has history and tradition but also several really bland holes and the 11th is Mickey Mouse par 3.

In USA I have to say Oakmont leaves me cold, as does Bethpage. Slogfests and not overly aesthetic.
    Can't agree with your Oakmont statement. Went to the Open on Saturday and Sunday this year. Was for more overwhelmed by the course rather than by watching the top players in the world. Makes me respect top notch courses much more after seeing it in person. Unreal place imo
    Titleist 915 D3 Tour AD MT
    Taylormade M2 15* Tour AD DI
    Bridgestone J33 Airmuscle 3 Iron
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW KBS C-Taper 120
    Ping Glide 50, 55, 60
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    PGArox wrote:

They're all pitch 'n' putts.

Don't see many driver 3 iron par 4s on the U.S. Tour . 420 yard par 4 will play that long into the wind for the top guys
    Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
    Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
    Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
    Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
    Grips - Crossline cord

• McCann1McCann1 Tour Player Members Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    farmer wrote:

To make a fair assessment, WRX should start a gofundme so that I can go play these courses. At the end of the journey, I will give a fair accounting of each course. I will provide all my own equipment, but will need a travel, lodging, and food fund. As well as access and green fees.
    be careful some users will get offended at the thought of asking for support

Been there done that
    Enjoy the chase.
  • JasonicJasonic Gamer Banned Posts: 3,571 ✭✭
    Bingo1976 wrote:

Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

That's why it's great.

Agree with Carnoustie, that's my favorite course I've ever played. So tough but fair, great layout.
    2017 M1 440 9.5* - Tensei Pro Orange 70TX
    TM M3 3 wood - 14.25* - Tensei Pro White 80TX
    Srixon u45 DI - 19* - Tensei Pro White Hybrid 100TX
    Mizuno mp18 4-PW - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Hogan TK wedges - 50*, 54*, 58* - Nippon Modus3 120x
    Ping Anser OG
    Snell MTB Black
  • michamicha Members Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Baltusrol was pretty dull this year. Too much lush rough makes all the holes looks the same.
  • hogans71hogans71 Ain't no change in the weather, ain't no changes in me Members Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    pga43 wrote:

Jasonic wrote:

Any PGA champ course.

Greg

I've played it twice and both times it was in spectacular condition. Fifteen years.. Different decades actually...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file