Ric Shiels- Lumine pro am score

145791016

Comments

  • smeech8000smeech8000 Ev'ryday I'm Trufflin' Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #182



    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives




    Butch Harmon won on the PGA tour in the 70s and Ledbetter was a European tour player, so those guys could play at one time.




    Harmon's win was a 1-day event, the precursor to the B.C. Open fka Broome County Open... he wasn't even the best player in his own family (Billy could play).



    Leadbetter "played the European Tour" but I doubt he made many cuts. If it was anything approaching noteworthy he would probably have more than this snippet on his bio:


    Originally from Worthing in Sussex, England, David began his career in golf on the European and South African Tours. He soon realized his interest was in the technique, mechanics, and intricacies of the game, which eventually led him to spend more time teaching than playing.






    Rick had a bad event, may have had some other stuff going on off the course, we may never know. If anyone chooses to hold it against his ability to do what he does for a living then I hope they can withstand the same level of scrutiny should they ever have a bad stretch at work, or at home, or wherever.
    Titleist 915D4 9.5*
    Titleist 909f3 15*
    Titleist 913h 19*
    Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
    Cally Forged 50/54/58
    Lajosi Sensor
  • ib0o0ib0o0 Posts: 84 ClubWRX
    ssfranny wrote:



    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives






    Your typical 20 something WRXer swinging it 115-120 with their tour XX shaft tipped one inch Cant figure out where ball is going or can putt. Shiels has a good swing on videos leads me to believe short game must be horrible.




    I've seen him on a Vlog with Andy Carter (on Carter's channel), slicing an M3 like crazy, like Spieth at The Open crazy. I thought the Twist Face technology took care of that.



    He has a very fast tempo that he can't seem to have under control. I play off 9 and having two consecutive 88's would **** me off big time.
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]WITB:
    Driver: Ping G SF - Ozik Matrix Black Tie MFS 5 70X
    3 Wood: Ping G - Project X Evenflow Black 65 6.5
    Irons: 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32 - Nippon Modus 3 120X
    Wedges: 52º, 56º, 60º: Taylor Made MG - Nippon Modus 3 120X
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence TR 388
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV[/font]
  • Jordan SpeethJordan Speeth ClubWRX Posts: 1,084 ClubWRX



    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives




    Butch Harmon won on the PGA tour in the 70s and Ledbetter was a European tour player, so those guys could play at one time.




    Now that you mention it,I caddied for Butch in the Monday qualifier for the Crosby in ‘71..... he shot 80 at Spyglass.
    Cobra F8+ Driver 9.5*- XCaliber Superlite 45 S
    Callaway XR Pro 16* FW- Handcrafted PX LZ 6.0
    Ping G400 17* 2-Hybrid- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Ping G 22* Hybrid- Altus S- Xcaliber Superlite Stiff
    Callaway Apex/Pro Combo 5-Gap- Recoil 760 Smacwrap
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 52*/10, 56*/12- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Callaway MD-3 Black Milled 56- KBS Black Tour Custom-S
    Odyssey White Hot #7 38"- Superstroke Tank Slim 13"
    Golf Pride MCC Grips
    Bridgestone Tour B330
    MG Elite Glove
    2018 Ping Hoofer, Eliott Alistair Leather Bag
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    edited Feb 14, 2018 #185
    ib0o0 wrote:

    ssfranny wrote:



    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives






    Your typical 20 something WRXer swinging it 115-120 with their tour XX shaft tipped one inch Cant figure out where ball is going or can putt. Shiels has a good swing on videos leads me to believe short game must be horrible.




    I've seen him on a Vlog with Andy Carter (on Carter's channel), slicing an M3 like crazy, like Spieth at The Open crazy. I thought the Twist Face technology took care of that.



    He has a very fast tempo that he can't seem to have under control. I play off 9 and having two consecutive 88's would **** me off big time.


    I've gotten down to scratch and still had the occasional massive miss right. People think that scratch golfers only hit straight drives and have dime size wear marks on their irons, and that is simply not true. So to say "I saw him hit a big time slice" to prove he isn't good at golf is a comment with no merit. And shooting a couple over your handicap pisses you off big time?
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • gmangolfgmangolf Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    Either Rick isn't very good... or he had a bad tournament - or any other number of reasons that might be cause for a bad score. Everyone here knows a golf scores can go south in a hurry.



    None of these things impact his ability to do his job effectively - review golf equipment fairly and accurately and teach amateurs how to improve their game.



    So what is the problem?
  • gjlang76gjlang76 Members Posts: 213 ✭✭
    rockinar wrote:


    Dude is a driving range pro. Probably a 7 handicap at best.




    Hey now, Roy McAvoy was a driving range pro and he very nearly won a U.S. Open.
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    ib0o0 wrote:

    ssfranny wrote:



    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives






    Your typical 20 something WRXer swinging it 115-120 with their tour XX shaft tipped one inch Cant figure out where ball is going or can putt. Shiels has a good swing on videos leads me to believe short game must be horrible.




    I've seen him on a Vlog with Andy Carter (on Carter's channel), slicing an M3 like crazy, like Spieth at The Open crazy. I thought the Twist Face technology took care of that.



    He has a very fast tempo that he can't seem to have under control. I play off 9 and having two consecutive 88's would **** me off big time.




    If you watched his M3/M4 reviews, he even stated the Twist Face technology doesn't get along with him/his swing. He's not a fan of the new drivers.
  • LondonerLondoner Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    ib0o0 wrote:

    ssfranny wrote:



    Let’s be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon’s, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren’t going low and shooting 60’s. Oh wait it’s WRX everyone shots 60’s and booming drives






    Your typical 20 something WRXer swinging it 115-120 with their tour XX shaft tipped one inch Cant figure out where ball is going or can putt. Shiels has a good swing on videos leads me to believe short game must be horrible.




    I've seen him on a Vlog with Andy Carter (on Carter's channel), slicing an M3 like crazy, like Spieth at The Open crazy. I thought the Twist Face technology took care of that.



    He has a very fast tempo that he can't seem to have under control. I play off 9 and having two consecutive 88's would **** me off big time.


    He was 17 over, your equivalent would be 97!
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • cfunk11cfunk11 Members Posts: 256 ✭✭
    cthoend wrote:


    On a positive note, he no longer needs Rob to do the "Mid-Handicapper" reviews of equipment.
    Dang-it, I was reading this thread hoping that nobody made this comment because I wanted to. I thought after the +41 they would move Rob up to the big show and send Rick down to the minors.




  • Let's be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon's, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren't going low and shooting 60's. Oh wait it's WRX everyone shots 60's and booming drives




    Butch Harmon won on the PGA tour in the 70s and Ledbetter was a European tour player, so those guys could play at one time.




    Now that you mention it,I caddied for Butch in the Monday qualifier for the Crosby in '71..... he shot 80 at Spyglass.








    Ok, but he still played on tour, and has taught a bunch of tour players -- so has Ledbetter. I didn't say they were the best tour players, but they are probably among the better players to teach the modern game.
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,420 ✭✭
    A man is not allowed to have a few bad rounds?



    I'll be damned.
  • ib0o0ib0o0 Posts: 84 ClubWRX

    ib0o0 wrote:

    ssfranny wrote:



    Let's be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon's, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren't going low and shooting 60's. Oh wait it's WRX everyone shots 60's and booming drives






    Your typical 20 something WRXer swinging it 115-120 with their tour XX shaft tipped one inch Cant figure out where ball is going or can putt. Shiels has a good swing on videos leads me to believe short game must be horrible.




    I've seen him on a Vlog with Andy Carter (on Carter's channel), slicing an M3 like crazy, like Spieth at The Open crazy. I thought the Twist Face technology took care of that.



    He has a very fast tempo that he can't seem to have under control. I play off 9 and having two consecutive 88's would **** me off big time.


    I've gotten down to scratch and still had the occasional massive miss right. People think that scratch golfers only hit straight drives and have dime size wear marks on their irons, and that is simply not true. So to say "I saw him hit a big time slice" to prove he isn't good at golf is a comment with no merit. And shooting a couple over your handicap pisses you off big time?




    I did not say that at all. I slice the ball too. I've seen DJ slice the ball too. But with Rick is the norm, not a miss. And yes, +7 of my handicap pisses me if it happens because I train consistently, with deliberate practice, to avoid it. That doesn't seem to be the case with him.



    But hey, not hating the man, he is a good entertainer, just not a very good pro.
    [font=courier new,courier,monospace]WITB:
    Driver: Ping G SF - Ozik Matrix Black Tie MFS 5 70X
    3 Wood: Ping G - Project X Evenflow Black 65 6.5
    Irons: 3-PW: Mizuno MP-32 - Nippon Modus 3 120X
    Wedges: 52º, 56º, 60º: Taylor Made MG - Nippon Modus 3 120X
    Putter: Ping Ketsch Cadence TR 388
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV[/font]
  • ShipwreckShipwreck Members Posts: 3,695 ✭✭
    edited Feb 15, 2018 #194
    Well reading this thread has really opened up my eyes. I feel neither accomplished nor regal enough to stand amongst all of you giants of the golfing community. So Rick had a bad weekend. Does it matter? Does it affect your life in any way, shape or form? During the vlogs he looks like he’s having fun out there, just shooting the **** and doing whatever he is doing.



    He’s a golf professional not a professional golfer and I swear the lot of you seem to have forgotten that. You can look at any professional event at the guys that didn’t make the cut and see those scores and while they might not be 88/88 they will be high 70s low 80s and those guys are ACTUAL playing pros. ****, take a look at your regional tournaments where all of the head pros play in and I’m sure you’re not gonna see a ton of high 60s rounds.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • LondonerLondoner Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    Do you think the MC idiot has been lookIng on WRX?

    Check out @4golfonline’s Tweet:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • MattyO1984MattyO1984 Members Posts: 4,747 ClubWRX
    Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Project X Even Flow White T1100
    Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black
    Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
    Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW Stiff KBS Tour
    Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08, 54.10 & 60.04
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
    ProV1x
  • HoffTTMHoffTTM Members Posts: 2,120
    edited Feb 15, 2018 #197
    Bye wrote:





    His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews image/butcher.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':butcher:' />



    As Lockey would say "How embarrassing"




    One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."



    Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.


    think its about $200 a lesson also image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />



    I see he's now on the Golf Channel panel testing drivers with the aim of coming up with a new design which will be built!





    I'm not a fan, HOWEVER, he has created a decent living for his family from thin air- y'all gotta respect that.




    I bet he would like $200 per lesson. More like $140 for 3 X 1/2 hour sessions.



    He is ranked a top 25 coach in the UK by one of the magazines which is a bit of a shock.



    Yeah fair play to him for making some cash from it.




    To be fair that magazine likely ranks him in the top 25 just so they can sell more magazines by featuring him and cashing in on his social media following.
    Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
    Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
    Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
    John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
    John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,736 ✭✭
    Londoner wrote:


    Do you think the MC idiot has been lookIng on WRX?

    Check out @4golfonline’s Tweet:


    What’s wrong with this advice? It seems like really good advice to me.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

    In the bag:

    PING. Lots of PING.
  • Hjosh7_Hjosh7_ Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    Londoner wrote:


    Do you think the MC idiot has been lookIng on WRX?

    Check out @4golfonline’s Tweet:




    I suppose it’s possible, but I’ve heard him say this lots of times in daily vlogs and such since I’ve been watching him. It also seems to be sound advice on how to play better golf.
    WITB:
    TaylorMade M1(2016) 9.5° - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70 Stiff
    TaylorMade Aeroburner 16.5° - Matrix White Tie 70X4 Stiff
    PING G30 17°/22° Hybrids - PING TFC 419H Stiff
    Nike Vapor Pro Combo 5-PW - True Temper DG Pro S300
    Cleveland RTX 3 50°/54°/60° - True Temper Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Nike Method Matter B2-01 - Flatso 1.0 - 35.25"
    Top Flite Gamer Tour

    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."
  • juggernaut0629juggernaut0629 Members Posts: 968 ✭✭


    He’s simply not very good, that’s why he makes money from YouTube and sponsors, not playing golf. He’s probably a 2 or 3 handicap who had a terrible week



    He shot 88 in the first round!!!!



    pete finch faired much better, he was +2 in round 1 i believe



    There must be a lot of pressure and embarrassment shooting scores like that when your supposed to be an authority on golf and have a huge audience, he’s probably more well known than most European tour players



    Good youtube videos, decent coach, tournament golf not so much


    DBill wrote:


    If only he signed a deal with Titleist, then complained about manufacturers not sending new equipment to test, he probably would have won.




    Mark is very petty isn’t he haha




    I think saying he's a 2 or 3 hdcp might be being a little generous. But that's just my opinion from whay I've seen. No real data to back it up. His videos just give me that feeling. However you don't have to BE a great golfer to actually be a teacher. Only have a good knowledge of the swing, & a good eye.
    Ping G LST 9*
    Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
    X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
    Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
    Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*
  • ByeBye Posts: 1,307 ✭✭
    HoffTTM wrote:

    Bye wrote:





    His snap hooks must've not been "just missing the fairway" like they do in his reviews image/butcher.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':butcher:' />



    As Lockey would say "How embarrassing"




    One reason I'm surprised people pay for lessons from him. 40 yards left or right is "just missing fairway."



    Half that distance left or right at my course and you'd be three off the tee.


    think its about $200 a lesson also image/swoon.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':swoon:' />



    I see he's now on the Golf Channel panel testing drivers with the aim of coming up with a new design which will be built!





    I'm not a fan, HOWEVER, he has created a decent living for his family from thin air- y'all gotta respect that.




    I bet he would like $200 per lesson. More like $140 for 3 X 1/2 hour sessions.



    He is ranked a top 25 coach in the UK by one of the magazines which is a bit of a shock.



    Yeah fair play to him for making some cash from it.




    To be fair that magazine likely ranks him in the top 25 just so they can sell more magazines by featuring him and cashing in on his social media following.




    Probably a fair assessment.



    When you look at some of the other names on the list like John Jacobs, Gary Allis and Paul Ashwell, coaches of the national teams etc, they may be more deserving. Who's to say he won't be the most sort after teaching pro one day. Good luck to him.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 21 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback
    Titleist Pro V1
  • HoffTTMHoffTTM Members Posts: 2,120
    This is not a big deal in any case, the bloke probably doesn't practise much, was at the pga show, has two kids who are not yet in school, lots of courses will have had lots of closures in the NW since the new year and has to spend a ton of time (way more than most people think) editing all the reviews for the gear that dropped recently.



    So long as the resort is happy (they sponsor him) and his group had a good time it doesn't matter
    Ping i20 9.5* Project X Black 6.0
    Taylormade R15 15* Fujikura FUEL 70 S
    Adams Pro Dhy 18* Aldila Tour Blue 80S
    John Letters Tour Black Master Model 4-PW S300
    John Letters Tour Black 52*,56*,60* DG Spinner
    Odyssey Metal X Milled #1, 34.5"
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,032 ✭✭
    Respect to him for actually uploading a video about the tournament. Would have been easy for him to not address it.
  • KYMARKYMAR Members Posts: 13,257 ✭✭
    Jerry Rice > Rick Shiels.
    Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
    Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
    Hybrid undecided
    Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
    Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
    White Hot 6 Long Neck
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,032 ✭✭
    If anyone's curious about the fourball he mentions near the end of the video, here are his scores:



    http://www.pgae.com/event/fourball-championship/2018-fourball-championship/#/competition/1360931/completeteamscorecard/1461077/3347547
  • jacobEDGEjacobEDGE Members Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    His drives definitely didn't look bad. But that short game. Going from a birdie putt to ending up with a double bogey...pulled a Rory there.



    Also, he filmed DURING the round. That's gotta take your concentration out of it quite a bit. I'm surprised he actually pulled a camera out at all. Good for him for responding.
  • deepdivotsdeepdivots Members Posts: 5
    ib0o0 wrote:


    ib0o0 wrote:

    ssfranny wrote:



    Let's be honest we watch them for the reviews at least I do. But then again the top teachers(harmon's, Leadbetter and many more) out there aren't going low and shooting 60's. Oh wait it's WRX everyone shots 60's and booming drives






    Your typical 20 something WRXer swinging it 115-120 with their tour XX shaft tipped one inch Cant figure out where ball is going or can putt. Shiels has a good swing on videos leads me to believe short game must be horrible.




    I've seen him on a Vlog with Andy Carter (on Carter's channel), slicing an M3 like crazy, like Spieth at The Open crazy. I thought the Twist Face technology took care of that.



    He has a very fast tempo that he can't seem to have under control. I play off 9 and having two consecutive 88's would **** me off big time.


    I've gotten down to scratch and still had the occasional massive miss right. People think that scratch golfers only hit straight drives and have dime size wear marks on their irons, and that is simply not true. So to say "I saw him hit a big time slice" to prove he isn't good at golf is a comment with no merit. And shooting a couple over your handicap pisses you off big time?




    I did not say that at all. I slice the ball too. I've seen DJ slice the ball too. But with Rick is the norm, not a miss. And yes, +7 of my handicap pisses me if it happens because I train consistently, with deliberate practice, to avoid it. That doesn't seem to be the case with him.



    But hey, not hating the man, he is a good entertainer, just not a very good pro.




    A slice is the norm for Rick? Umm...
  • HackATKHackATK Members Posts: 387 ✭✭
    Man there sure is a lot of haters in the thread. Who cares what he shot, the man had a few bad rounds. We all have and we all will continue to have them now and again. At least he was man enough to keep going and post his scores. I can guarantee most would not have, especially after a second bad round in a row. Just my $.02...
  • HackATKHackATK Members Posts: 387 ✭✭


    What a bunch of BS. Pathetic arm chair quarterbacks on this thread. No one should be criticizing anybody about the humble nature of golf, especially tournament golf. I think anyone who is kicking Rick Shields about his performance, put up or shut up. Put up some significant money and challenge him. I know he would enjoy taking your money. Then you can post that on here.


    Best post in this thread! Well said!
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner Members Posts: 4,816 ✭✭
    In the video He made all of the haters in here look like losers - kinda owned them, along with owning his play. Well played, Rick.
    Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
    Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
    Taylormade TPx
  • karlkaspiankarlkaspian Unregistered Posts: 165
    I think a lot of the comments on this thread have been way out of line. It shows just how many people on here are mean-spirited sad people that they have to attack someone for playing bad at golf. Seriously, it's kinda pathetic.



    I generally felt bad for the guy after watching his video addressing it. You could tell he was down and putting on a brave face. Mentioning his weight and fitness and what not. He has never claimed to be a star golfer. He tried to qualify for the Open and failed. As do most people who try. He played terrible in this event. So what?! He seems like a decent guy. A family man who has found a market where he can gain experiences he would never have dreamed of. Good for him.



    The people who get joy from an innocent fella having a poor time need to get a life.
145791016
Sign In or Register to comment.