Ping G400 LST Fade Biased?

OspreyCI

I had the G30 LST before and felt it was too fade biased for me. There were many comments on here mentioned the same thing. Is the G400 LST the same way?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say no. I have no problem hitting a nice baby draw with it.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I thought so today when I demo’d it. I can’t belive how good it was for me today. It just smoked everything else - M3 and M4. Just like the look at address.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I had the G30 LST before and felt it was too fade biased for me. There were many comments on here mentioned the same thing. Is the G400 LST the same way?

If the "fade bias" is of concern to you heres a tip. Almost every G400 head has somewhere around 8 grams of hotmelt added. It usually is placed in the neutral position. If you request it Ping will when building a WRX order (different lengths, shafts, digital lofting, swing weights and grips) they will reposition it to the heel area to promote more of a draw bias.

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

TaylorMade 16.5 Stealth HL

Callaway Epic Flash Heavenwood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 5 thru AW
Vokey SM8 54*/10* S Grind
Vokey SM8 58*/12* K Grind
T.P Mills Custom PN MIng
Odyssey 38" Tank #7 (a work in Progress)

If the "fade bias" is of concern to you heres a tip. Almost every G400 head has somewhere around 8 grams of hotmelt added. It usually is placed in the neutral position. If you request it Ping will when building a WRX order (different lengths, shafts, digital lofting, swing weights and grips) they will reposition it to the heel area to promote more of a draw bias.

Who do you go through to order it like that? Discount Dan is who I trust.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I went thru the largest retailer here in Mi who's a Top 100 shop. During my fitting I hit LST heads that were heel weighted from Ping. I would imagine that DD's could order it but I've had no experience with them. I personally (if my memory hasn't failed me) have never played a Ping driver "off the shelf" and probably not a set of irons. LOL. I've always used the retailer I spoke of and every special order has been delivered spot on.

The specs on this driver were;

G400 LST 8.5* digitally lofted, heel weighted

Ping Tour 65 shaft Stiff flex

44.5" long

D2/3 swing weight

GP CP2 Wrap Mid size

Order was placed and is in the process with no issues.

DD's is a large enough account that any special order shouldn't be an issue. Good luck.

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

T.P Mills Custom PN MIng

I went thru the largest retailer here in Mi who's a Top 100 shop. During my fitting I hit LST heads that were heel weighted from Ping. I would imagine that DD's could order it but I've had no experience with them. I personally (if my memory hasn't failed me) have never played a Ping driver "off the shelf" and probably not a set of irons. LOL. I've always used the retailer I spoke of and every special order has been delivered spot on.

44.5" long

D2/3 swing weight

GP CP2 Wrap Mid size

DD's is a large enough account that any special order shouldn't be an issue. Good luck.

I’ve never heard of demo heads or fitting heads having known locations of hot melt weighting. I have a relationship with the top fitter for Ping for Canada, based out of Calgary who has been flown down on Ping’s dime more than once for more information or rewards due to his successes, and advanced hot melt weighting notification has never been brought up or discussed as an option. Not sure how you would know or test your claim of knowing they’re heel weighted in advance of your order, but I know Ping doesn’t send even their regional reps that type of info.

44.5" long

D2/3 swing weight

GP CP2 Wrap Mid size

I’ve never heard of demo heads or fitting heads having known locations of hot melt weighting. I have a relationship with the top fitter for Ping for Canada, based out of Calgary who has been flown down on Ping’s dime more than once for more information or rewards due to his successes, and advanced hot melt weighting notification has never been brought up or discussed as an option. Not sure how you would know or test your claim of knowing they’re heel weighted in advance of your order, but I know Ping doesn’t send even their regional reps that type of info.

Well i guess i could have snapped a pic of the heads i tested. They are were clearly marked “heel” which indicated heel weighting.

The order was placed with no issues. I can only go by what i observed and the info from the fitter who fitted me and who placed the order.

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

T.P Mills Custom PN MIng

I was under the impression that Ping uses the adjustable weight in the back of the G30/G/G400 heads to adjust the head weight for spec, not hotmelt. Also why use hotmelt to create draw bias when they already make the SFT head?

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

44.5" long

D2/3 swing weight

GP CP2 Wrap Mid size

I've never heard of demo heads or fitting heads having known locations of hot melt weighting. I have a relationship with the top fitter for Ping for Canada, based out of Calgary who has been flown down on Ping's dime more than once for more information or rewards due to his successes, and advanced hot melt weighting notification has never been brought up or discussed as an option. Not sure how you would know or test your claim of knowing they're heel weighted in advance of your order, but I know Ping doesn't send even their regional reps that type of info.

Reps are the worst when it comes to info besides just retail product info. And the shop I use is the largest in Mi i believe and their fitting facility is top notch. The Trackman facility is not just using OEM Fitting carts. The have multiples of every OEM head available plus hundreds of shaft options. The heads I hit were clearly marked "heel" in Pings font. The info I provided was directly from the fitter who is a certified Master Trackman Fitter.

I saw the order being placed with the instructions clearly typed "Setting neutral, 8 grams hotmelt to heel, digital loft".

Heres a link to the facility https://www.carlsgol...com/launch-pad.

So since your inferring that i'm lying or misinformed I'll ask; why would the heads that came DIRECTLY from Ping be marked, in Pings font, as heel weighted? Why would the fitter make that claim? Why would the order be accepted by Ping if not true? So everyone here is either lying to deceive or totally misinformed? Perhaps your "Top Fitter" isn't the Ping savant you claim?

And the ONLY reason i'm responding like this is I don't appreciate being called a liar.

Have a good day.

ps; when I receive the club from Pings WRX dept I'll make sure I post a copy of the build sheet.

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

T.P Mills Custom PN MIng

I was under the impression that Ping uses the adjustable weight in the back of the G30/G/G400 heads to adjust the head weight for spec, not hotmelt. Also why use hotmelt to create draw bias when they already make the SFT head?

The SFT head doesn't come in a 8.5* loft which I needed. The backweight is used for sw purposes correct.

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

T.P Mills Custom PN MIng

The SFT head doesn't come in a 8.5* loft which I needed. The backweight is used for sw purposes correct.

Sorry for NOT calling you a liar...just curious that’s all....your fitter is better than my fitter and I’m sure your dad can also beat up my dad....anything else?

Sorry for NOT calling you a liar...just curious that's all....your fitter is better than my fitter and I'm sure your dad can also beat up my dad....anything else?

That's the way you came off. Have a nice day. And i'll make sure to post that build sheet. :)

Callaway 10.5* Paradym X

T.P Mills Custom PN MIng

Ping definitely does put hotmelt or similar in their drivers. I added a little too much hotmelt to my ping g lst, so I put a good amount of MEK in the head to dissolve the hotmelt I had put in there. When I dumped all of the dissolved hotmelt out, The head without adapter was down to the low 190’s in grams. So if you’ve already got a head and you’re feeling up to it, put some MEK in there (shouldn’t be a problem since there’s no carbon fiber), and when you dump it all out, you can then re-add hotmelt to where you want it. Be warned, the stuff is kinda messy and sticky when it comes out and you really don’t want to get the dissolved hotmelt all over your floor or something else you care about.

I find it to be a very anti left head, and I’ve hit most all recent USDM and a ton of JDM releases for comparison.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

44.5" long

D2/3 swing weight

GP CP2 Wrap Mid size

MJ34G, thanks for sharing that information. I do not believe in all the ping treads that info has ever been shared.

My 2c, and this is all speculative or personal observation.

Yes, it's fade biased. I switched to the Small + for that reason. And by fade biased, all I mean is that when you take the driver and set it on the ground, the face is slightly open. On the small +, I think it sits fairly straight. Of course the single-parabola on the adjustment means you get face angle change in x & y axes, but the face is the face; it isn't a titleist two-dimension, so you get what you get.

(I assume the Titleist adjuster is patented, because it's the only one that makes sense to me.)

That said, about the hot melt. As everyone confirms, the melt is a major part of the acoustics. The reason this is on the "secret menu", in my opinion, is two things:

#1 - If customers know about it, they're going to order it. And the average player isn't going to be informed enough to say "heel weight" something. They are better off not knowing, because they'll try something at a shop, order it with a heel bias, and then when they get it, the club will feel "wrong" and subjectively "not what they ordered". Unhappy customer with something they can only trade, since most shops wouldn't offer the "playability warranty" on a custom club.

#2 - Fitter's secret sauce. If you go to a fitter that has a tester like that, and you go through that process, fantastic. The fitter wins, the consumer wins. However, it is going to take a fitter's knowledge to know this is the right thing for you. So it all works out, and you get "extra value" for paying for said fitting.

Again, that's my projected assumptions. Fewer returns/unhappy customers, and better custom fitting experiences. I'd be close-to-the-vest on that stuff too.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

There are two weights on all models of G400 drivers. The u-shaped tungsten weight is used to adjust the bias. The trapezoidal copper weight is used to adjust swing weight.

The tungsten weight on the SFT is positioned towards the heal to promote a draw. You are correct that the SFT doesn't come in an 8.5* model.

Ping-G400-SFT-Driver.jpg

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Very fade biased

Subjective scratch.....

I don't know that it really is subjective... I think the heads I have hit are fade biased while in the neutral setting. I have only hit the 8* head, I would think the higher lofted model would be easier to turn over.

*Their is nothing wrong with a fade biased driver - many people prefer fade biased drivers especially better players

*You can still draw a fade biased driver, it just takes more work.

I find it to have a slight fade bias. It's a beast. It's just a fairway finder. It has the best dispersion of any lower spin head I've ever hit.

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

Don’t notice it but I’ve played g30 and G LS for the last few seasons so maybe I’m just used to it.

The discussion on the hotmelt is not worth getting worked up over, it’s not enough weight to change anything IMO. Placebo effect at best knowing you ordered it a certain way.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link