2019 PGA 'Ship at Bethpage

smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down.Posts: 915 ✭✭
Being in May, any concerns with the course coming out of winter, especially if NY has a particularly hard winter?



An ugly bit of travel too in three weeks, Dallas, Bethpage, Ft. Worth.



I liked the "book-ending" of the season having the PGA Championship towards the end of the year. I think dealing with the heat was an added little test to be taken on as well. It is also nice, imo, to have the majors spread out somewhat but I understand the move.



Will they narrow the fairways and grow out the rough or will they attempt to dry it out as best as they can?
«1

Comments

  • NoodleSaladNoodleSalad Members Posts: 72 ✭✭
    They can't dry it out, it is May in NY, meaning wet. The fescue and rough will be insane.
  • johnnyprojohnnypro Members Posts: 1,847 ✭✭
    When something is boring, people say it's like watching grass grow.



    In mid-May at Bethpage, you will literally be able to watch it grow.



    This could turn out to be a huge mistake.
  • Twism86Twism86 Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Its a Major, they will close the course starting on New Years day if they have to so that its perfect by May! Seriously, there should be no doubts that it wont be pristine.



    Yea, conditions might be tough, but they are pros and they will have to earn it. People will always whine then a major championship is won in the + numbers. Im sorry you didnt get to see so many birdies and feel like it wasnt exciting but thats golf!
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • lowheellowheel LOWHEEL Members Posts: 5,972 ✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2018 #5
    Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

    .

    The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same **** with the Players championship.
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,576 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:


    Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

    .

    The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same **** with the Players championship.




    The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March
  • Twism86Twism86 Posts: 377 ✭✭
    lowheel wrote:


    I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months


    Why do you think they wouldnt close it for that long? Its a Major!
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • redfirebird08redfirebird08 Posts: 7,827 ✭✭


    They can't dry it out, it is May in NY, meaning wet. The fescue and rough will be insane.




    If there is a lot of rain around the time of the event, then thick rough won't matter much. The guys absolutely tore the place to pieces at the 2009 U.S. Open even with a typical USGA setup. Ton of rain made the course pretty defenseless. Good old Ricky Barnes made it to double digits under par at one point.
  • johnnyprojohnnypro Members Posts: 1,847 ✭✭
    Black usually doesn't open until around April 15 anyway.



    I'm sure it will be in pristine condition but weather could ruin everything.



    There's a back tee on 15 that was built for 2002 but has yet to be used. Maybe 2019?
  • pga43pga43 GolfWRX.com's Tour Photographer Nashville,_ TNMarshals Posts: 9,197 mod
    iteachgolf wrote:

    lowheel wrote:


    Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

    .

    The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same **** with the Players championship.




    The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March




    Got it totally backwards. The PGA Tour asked the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship to May so that they could end the Fed Ex Cup play-offs at the end of August and not conflict with the NFL. The PGA Tour only moved the Players back to March after the PGA of America agreed to move the PGA Championship.



    Greg
    GolfWRX.com
    twitter @gdm43pga
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,576 ✭✭
    edited Aug 14, 2018 #11
    pga43 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:

    lowheel wrote:


    Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

    .

    The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same **** with the Players championship.




    The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March




    Got it totally backwards. The PGA Tour asked the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship to May so that they could end the Fed Ex Cup play-offs at the end of August and not conflict with the NFL. The PGA Tour only moved the Players back to March after the PGA of America agreed to move the PGA Championship.



    Greg




    That’s literally exactly what I said, not sure what you were reading.



    The Players was moved back to March only because the PGA was moved to May. Had the PGA not been moved The Players wouldn’t have been moved.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Posts: 915 ✭✭
    Sticky is the word I want to use to describe it. I think it will be sticky. Heavy rough and soft conditions. Not that soft conditions can't be hard to play in or produce good golf but soft greens are not my preference for watching the pros play on.



    I live in the southern half of the transition zone for grasses. We have winter kill bermuda in the fairways pretty regular the last five years. Is winter kill not an issue with bent and bent/poa or fescue up north?
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX
    Is there anyone of note on record against the PGA being moved? All the players and commentators/analysts I've heard seemed to be positive about the move, surprised there isn't at least one dissenting voice.
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,093 ✭✭
    As has been discussed in the past this May date could be a huge problem for any northern venues--- rare, but it does happen, that we get snow in May. Wet and cool (cold) is a very common occurrence.
  • jimwgt26jimwgt26 Members Posts: 1,169 ✭✭
    Was Bethpage awarded the PGA before the dates were changed?
  • jwhite86jwhite86 ClubWRX Posts: 427 ClubWRX
    smashdn wrote:


    Sticky is the word I want to use to describe it. I think it will be sticky. Heavy rough and soft conditions. Not that soft conditions can't be hard to play in or produce good golf but soft greens are not my preference for watching the pros play on.



    I live in the southern half of the transition zone for grasses. We have winter kill bermuda in the fairways pretty regular the last five years. Is winter kill not an issue with bent and bent/poa or fescue up north?




    It's usually not a problem with bent. I do imagine it being very wet and very soft in May... it'll be interesting
    WITB
    Driver: TS3 9.5 - 757
    3 Wood: 915 F 16.5 - Blueboard
    Hybrids: 816 H1 21 & 25 - Blueboard
    Irons 6-PW: 765 - PX LZ
    Wedges: Engage 52, 56, 60
    Putter: Newport Mil-Spec


    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1651462-jwhite86-witb/
  • OldTomMorrisOldTomMorris Members Posts: 2,084 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 15, 2018 #17
    lowheel wrote:


    The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same **** with the Players championship.




    I hope you are right, I like it as it is but willing to give the new schedule a go but I'm sceptical about such a compressed season. I think its sad that the major schedule which has been in place for many decades is now being overhauled because of TV ratings and FedEx Cup. The Olympics seemed like a convenient smokescreen as they didn't want to admit it was completely about money.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Titleist 910D3 8.5°
    TaylorMade M3 15°
    Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
    Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

    Titleist Pro V 1x
  • HiSpeed48HiSpeed48 Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
    Was Bethpage selected before they announced the move to May?



    This will probably be one of the few times that a northern course will host the PGA in the future.



    Bethpage will be pretty soft and the fescue won't be very long.
    Titleist 910D2 9.5* Tour Issue
    TEE XCG7 15*
    Srixon Z545 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 46* 50* 54* 58*
    John Byron DaleHead 2
  • Santiago GolfSantiago Golf I Strive to make you Better Members Posts: 4,971 ClubWRX
    iteachgolf wrote:

    pga43 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:

    lowheel wrote:


    Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

    .

    The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same **** with the Players championship.




    The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March




    Got it totally backwards. The PGA Tour asked the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship to May so that they could end the Fed Ex Cup play-offs at the end of August and not conflict with the NFL. The PGA Tour only moved the Players back to March after the PGA of America agreed to move the PGA Championship.



    Greg




    That's literally exactly what I said, not sure what you were reading.



    The Players was moved back to March only because the PGA was moved to May. Had the PGA not been moved The Players wouldn't have been moved.




    Didn't the Olympics have another thing to do with it as well.
    Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
    Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

    LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
    Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
    4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

    S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
    L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

    Ball: Vice Pro
    Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,576 ✭✭

    iteachgolf wrote:

    pga43 wrote:

    iteachgolf wrote:

    lowheel wrote:


    Ive played Bethpage in may and in August/September. Completely different courses. I dont know how they will pull it off unless they close the course for 2 months and even then a wet spring (which is usually the case) will ruin any plans. It would be easier to set it up as an open course than a pga at that point

    .

    The Pga will be back in august in no time after they realize the mistake they made.Same **** with the Players championship.




    The only reason the Players moved back was because of the PGA move. The course played better in May than it will in March




    Got it totally backwards. The PGA Tour asked the PGA of America to move the PGA Championship to May so that they could end the Fed Ex Cup play-offs at the end of August and not conflict with the NFL. The PGA Tour only moved the Players back to March after the PGA of America agreed to move the PGA Championship.



    Greg




    That's literally exactly what I said, not sure what you were reading.



    The Players was moved back to March only because the PGA was moved to May. Had the PGA not been moved The Players wouldn't have been moved.




    Didn't the Olympics have another thing to do with it as well.




    I think it was way more to do with $ and competing with nfl
  • Paul065Paul065 Posts: 191
    Most of the next 10 venues were picked before the date change, the next 5 definitely were;



    Bethpage

    Harding Park

    Kiawah

    Trump National

    Oak Hill



    3 North East courses, one south (ish) and one West Coast.
    Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero. 9 degree. Graphite Design Tour AD DI 6 S

    Mizuno CLK 2. 16 degree. Speeder Evolution HB 75 S

    Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 3 iron Project X LZ 6.5 125g

    Mizuno MP 18 SC 4-6, MB 7-PW, Project X LZ 6.5 125g

    Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw: 50 (12) F, 54 (08) M, 58 (12) D

    Ping Sedona

    Titleist Pro V1x (2017)
  • FergusonFerguson Executive Member VAMembers Posts: 4,411 ✭✭
    Bethpage - overrated.



    PGA in May - more viewership, more tour cash
  • CasualLieCasualLie Do Woodchucks Chuck Wood? Posts: 1,397 ClubWRX
    ...and players were whining about going PGA major to FedExCup to Ryder Cup so fast...but they will whine about anything.



    Was the FedEx Cup really hurt by the NFL? I don't know, but certainly all these decisions have almost nothing to do with what fans/players want and everything to do with extracting the most $. Most of the time I don't have a problem with people chasing the $, but sometimes they can be a bit short-sighted and while the $ gain now looks good will it look good in the long term for the PGA Championship? I don't think so.



    And what happened to the notion that a significant %'age of clubs are not playable in winter, so as a PGA pro, you spend the late spring/summer getting your game into some kind of shape, hope to qualify for PGA Professionals Championship and then get lucky to punch your ticket to PGA Championship. Now you have the PGA Professionals Championship in April! Not that I the Sweater Folders of America need my support (I am joking with the sweater part), but it seems a slap in the face to mess with the routine of the very people who are the foundation of your organization. I wish the PGA would have told the PGA Tour to * off and keep their tournament in August.



    And as much as I love the Open Championship, it is still bizarre to me the 4th major is not played where you have the highest ratings and revenue (i.e. attention). Not to knock the Open, but what a downer way to end the majors season.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Posts: 915 ✭✭
    Paul065 wrote:


    Most of the next 10 venues were picked before the date change, the next 5 definitely were;



    Bethpage

    Harding Park

    Kiawah

    Trump National

    Oak Hill



    3 North East courses, one south (ish) and one West Coast.




    I wish I had the time and ability to see the next five years worth of [mens] US Opens and PGA Championships put on a map just to see where they are not going for golf. I feel like the Northwest and center of the country are under represented.



    2019 - Pebble Beach (CA)

    2020 - Winged Foot (NY)

    2021 - Torrey Pines (CA)

    2022 - The Country Club (MA)

    2023 - LACC (CA)

    2024 - Pinehurst (NC)



    Southern Hills?

    Whistling Straights?

    Erin Hills for a PGA?
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,576 ✭✭
    smashdn wrote:

    Paul065 wrote:


    Most of the next 10 venues were picked before the date change, the next 5 definitely were;



    Bethpage

    Harding Park

    Kiawah

    Trump National

    Oak Hill



    3 North East courses, one south (ish) and one West Coast.




    I wish I had the time and ability to see the next five years worth of [mens] US Opens and PGA Championships put on a map just to see where they are not going for golf. I feel like the Northwest and center of the country are under represented.



    2019 - Pebble Beach (CA)

    2020 - Winged Foot (NY)

    2021 - Torrey Pines (CA)

    2022 - The Country Club (MA)

    2023 - LACC (CA)

    2024 - Pinehurst (NC)



    Southern Hills?

    Whistling Straights?

    Erin Hills for a PGA?




    Valhalla and Souther Hills have already been chosen for future PGA Championships.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Posts: 915 ✭✭
    Even though I am from KY, I do not care for Valhalla. I was there on Sunday at the senior pga? or senior us open? when Tom Watson won. It is very hard to stay with a group on that course. You parked at the fairgrounds and shuttled to the course. I wouldn't say it produced very compelling golf either.
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,149 ✭✭


    As has been discussed in the past this May date could be a huge problem for any northern venues--- rare, but it does happen, that we get snow in May. Wet and cool (cold) is a very common occurrence.




    I was playing a member-guest outside of Buffalo in early June on a miserable day, and there were snowflakes coming down. Oak Hill (Rochester) could be awful.



    As a matter of fact, once the PGA tries Oak Hill in May, they might decide that they will never hold another championship in the Northeast.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • MarkFromTheUKMarkFromTheUK Members Posts: 4,639 ✭✭
    Just put a giant tarpaulin over it for the entire duration of winter. You’re very welcome.
    PXG 0811X Gen2 9deg Driver - AD-GP 7TX
    PXG 0341X Gen2 15deg Fairway - AD-GP 8TX
    PXG 0311X Gen2 1 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311X Gen2 3 DI - KBS Prototype Graphite 95X
    PXG 0311T Gen2 4-PW - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 51 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Sugar Daddy 56 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG 0311T Zulu 61 - Dynamic Gold X7
    PXG Brandon H - 34.5”
    PXG Operator H - 34.5”
    Toulon Indianapolis - 34.5”
    PXG 50/50 Staff Bag
    Bridgestone Tour B X

    KaBoom Baby!
  • RangeballzRangeballz Posts: 1,646 ✭✭
    I remember many a Players Championship being pretty nippy in March as well. Didn't they just change the grass over to one of the new bermuda strains? Wonder if they'll change back....
  • Darth PutterDarth Putter Members Posts: 4,563 ✭✭
    Here is an article on how the northern host courses for the PGA came through the difficult winter of 2018.



    https://www.golfdigest.com/story/despite-springs-rough-weather-officials-remain-confident-in-a-may-pga-championship



    They sound confident.
    swing is irrelevant, score is everything

    just say NO.... to practice swings
  • iteachgolfiteachgolf Members Posts: 16,576 ✭✭
    Rangeballz wrote:


    I remember many a Players Championship being pretty nippy in March as well. Didn't they just change the grass over to one of the new bermuda strains? Wonder if they'll change back....




    They went back to Tifeagle a few years ago. It’ll be perfectly fine. They’ll likely oversees though so it won’t be Bermuda rough which won’t make it play as tugh
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.