We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

Mizuno ST 190 Driver

12345679»

Comments

• TexC04TexC04  19Members Posts: 19

On -, @blackngold_blood said:

On -, @bbfifas said:

Question about the ST190 hosel and the upright adjusting. Can you adjust -1 loft and +1 upright? Or can you only change the upright setting with the stock loft?

I was sent this adjustment chart from Mizuno costumer service. I was also told the adapters are the same as before just labeled differently. They also said that every loft adjustment will affect lie angle and face angle.

So are settings 6, 7, and 8 a closed face?

Posted:

Callaway Rogue 10.5* driver
    Callaway Rogue 17* Fairway
    Callaway Rogue 21* and 24* and 27* Hybrids
    Mizuno JPX 919 7-PW, GW, SW, LW
    Lajosi DD-201 WB

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • blackngold_bloodblackngold_blood Golf Ball Whacker Guy  1091Members Posts: 1,091

On -, @TexC04 said:

On -, @bbfifas said:

Question about the ST190 hosel and the upright adjusting. Can you adjust -1 loft and +1 upright? Or can you only change the upright setting with the stock loft?

I was sent this adjustment chart from Mizuno costumer service. I was also told the adapters are the same as before just labeled differently. They also said that every loft adjustment will affect lie angle and face angle.

I believe they are the open face settings. 2, 3, and 4 should be the closed face settings.

Posted:
    WITB

Work in progress and will be updated after St. Andrews!!

Ball: OnCore Elixr
  • Bobb3rdownBobb3rdown Bothell, WA 714Members Posts: 714

On -, @TexC04 said:

On -, @bbfifas said:

Go up in loft to close the face. Down in loft to open the face.

Posted:
    Ping i20 9.5
    Callaway rouge sub zero 15
    Adams pro mini 20
    Bridgestone tour b x-cb 4-pw 
    Vokey sm7 50.12, sm7 56.10, sm6 62.08
    Maltby ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • TexC04TexC04  19Members Posts: 19

On -, @Bobb3rdown said:

On -, @TexC04 said:

On -, @bbfifas said:

Dang- now I’m confused. I’ve been dabbling between 2 and 8. Can’t turn 2 over to save my life and duck hooks with 8...

Posted:

Callaway Rogue 10.5* driver
    Callaway Rogue 17* Fairway
    Callaway Rogue 21* and 24* and 27* Hybrids
    Mizuno JPX 919 7-PW, GW, SW, LW
    Lajosi DD-201 WB

On -, @TexC04 said:

On -, @Bobb3rdown said:

On -, @TexC04 said:

On -, @bbfifas said:

Dang- now I’m confused. I’ve been dabbling between 2 and 8. Can’t turn 2 over to save my life and duck hooks with 8...

Doesnt really work that way lol

Posted:
    Ping i20 9.5
    Adams pro mini 20
    Maltby ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm Beach 44Members Posts: 44

I bought a IZ 8x for my 3w but decided to test it in my ST190.

Posted:

Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD I-Z 8x
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS
    TEE CB Pro f2 18 / 757 Evo x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DGX100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

Advertisement

On -, @Bogey2Birdie said:

I bought a IZ 8x for my 3w but decided to test it in my ST190.

Are the adapters the same?

Posted:
    Ping i20 9.5
    Adams pro mini 20
    Maltby ptm-4
    2018 Players 5 stand bag
    Srixon Z Star xv
  • North ButteNorth Butte  11741Members Posts: 11,741

My driver is an ST 180, not the newer 190, but I had a very unusual experience with the adjustments when I first got it. I started with the in the +1 setting (standard, not upright) and during an initial round, then the next day during 30 minutes hitting range balls followed by nine more holes on the course I could not hit it out of my shadow. Low cuts, high blocks and what felt like dead solid shots that went about 20 yards shorter than my previous M4 driver. I was ready to write it off and in fact I put it in the closet for a couple weeks until I could get around to selling it and getting some of my money back out.

Then I decided to give it one more try. I cranked it to +2 and my first 3-4 balls at the driving range were still pretty weak. Not awful like before but decent looking shots that just didn't have any pop to them. But once I got warmed up I started hitting straight, just as long as my M4 and with a very appealing medium to medium-low ball flight that tended to turn over in a slight draw.

So I've been using it the last several rounds and I love it. Probably giving up 5 yards of carry relative to the M4 (set to the 12 degree position) but getting it back with interest after the rollout and it has virtually eliminated my nemesis push-fade with the M4. Everything is either straight or turns over a little (unless I overswing and come OTT which is a big pull with any club, of course).

Honestly, in years of playing Titleist and Ping adjustable drivers and trying a few Taylormade models I've never found one click of the hosel adjustment to do much of anything. Very subtle trajectory changes or sometimes not even sure anything changed at all. But this is like two totally different drivers at +1 and +2 settings for me.

Posted:
    “1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • bbfifasbbfifas  501Members Posts: 501

On -, @chigolfer1 said:

Sorry if this has been discussed but this is very interesting in light of what I'm reading in the F9 thread and hitting it lower than the center and how much worse it performs. As was discussed in that thread, drivers are really meant to be hit at the midline and above. Apparently, they have tried to somewhat mitigate that through the below:

"Mizuno defines CORAREA as the part of the face that measures greater than .80 COR. The lower you go on the face, COR drops off, as does ball speed. “That’s because the ball is impacting on the more rigid part of the face,” says Voshall. “What we’re trying to do is make that bottom part act more like the center or the top.”
    The WAVE sole softens that acute angle to get a little more trampolining lower on the face. "

https://****.com/first-look-take-two-mizuno-st-190-drivers-fairway-woods/

I have hit some laughable shots low on the face especially low-heel when I get over the top with excellent distance with the st-190. Makes sense to me.

Posted:
    Mizuno St190, 8.5*, Tensei White 70X shaft
    Cobra FLY Z+ 3 wood, orange, aldila tour blue stiff, 14.5*
    Taylormade V-Steel 5 wood, stock stiff
    Cobra F7 Hybrid 20* stiff Fuji Pro 75
    Cobra Forged Tec 5-PW, KBS C-taper lite stiff
    Cleveland CBX 50*, 115g DG
    place holder - currently 56* ATV wedge
    Vokey 58M
    Scotty Select Newport, 73* lie, 1* loft, 34"
    Bridegstone Tour BX

• Bogey2BirdieBogey2Birdie West Palm Beach 44Members Posts: 44

Yes... ST180 shaft will fit in ST190
    I too am sometimes hitting low & low heal and getting decent drives. Speed all over the face is good

Posted:

Mizuno ST-190 9.5 / AD I-Z 8x
    TEE CB Pro f2 15 / Fuel 70x TS
    TEE CB Pro f2 18 / 757 Evo x
    Yonex Ezone MB Irons DGX100
    Miura Wedge Series 51,55,59 DG
    SC Red X5 Putter 33.75 / Tour B xs

• Notorious22Notorious22 Scottsdale, AZ 35Members Posts: 35

Anyone know that stock weight of the ST190 and ST190G. I have the G version but curious about doing 90-day trade into a regular ST and adding hotmelt or lead tape. Also I find the G to be on point when I'm hitting it well but I'm thinking I can gain dispersion/consistency with the regular ST190

Posted:

WITB:
    Driver-Mizuno St190g FUJI VENTUS 7x Tip 1 inch at 45
    3 wood: Mizuno st190 Adiz 8x tipped 1.5
    5wood: Mizuno st190 Adiz 8x tipped 2
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 tour 4-PW. Kbs C-taper 130x
    Wedges: Mizzy T20 50 satin, 54 raw, 58 raw TI S400
    Putter: Mannkrafted Tour Only Ma66
    Ball: Pro V X Left Dash

Advertisement
  • jadams13jadams13 Poulsbo, WA 51Members Posts: 51

Mizuno created a really good driver with this one. 3 rounds in and I'm very happy, mishits are better than with my 917D for certain.

Posted:
  • Hammer22Hammer22  594Members Posts: 594

On -, @Notorious22 said:

Anyone know that stock weight of the ST190 and ST190G. I have the G version but curious about doing 90-day trade into a regular ST and adding hotmelt or lead tape. Also I find the G to be on point when I'm hitting it well but I'm thinking I can gain dispersion/consistency with the regular ST190

It’s been here for a while with regards to the 190: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1766463/mizuno-st190-swing-weight-custom-adjustment

Search the web on the G. - lots of info out there if you look.

Posted:
    Post edited by Hammer22 on
    nflam-button.png
  • RonGolfRonGolf  4Members Posts: 4

I can't find on the Mizuno site what "HL" means on the ST190 10.5HL model - - can someone explain this? tx

Posted:
  • Cruisin1966Cruisin1966 Calgary, AB 902ClubWRX Posts: 902

I believe it stands for "High Launch"

Posted:

No more golf until Spring.

• RonGolfRonGolf  4Members Posts: 4

On -, @Cruisin1966 said:

I believe it stands for "High Launch"

Does anyone know if the "High Launch" is strictly due to the loft - - or are their other characteristics of the club that promote a higher launch? That is, is this driver different than just a 10.5* version of the base ST190 model? (I wish the Mizuno site had more content on this - - I couldn't find anything about it.)

Posted:

Advertisement
  • LandyLandy  2213ClubWRX Posts: 2,213

Hello - From what I read on the Mizuno site the HL is adjustable from 8.5 to 12.5 where the standard is 7.5 to 11.5.

I have also been trying to find out.

Hope this helps.

Posted:
  • jar59jar59  395Members Posts: 395

I just watched a video about the ST 190 driver “high loft”.

Posted:
  • pakpak  164Members Posts: 164

Are the Atmos Red 5 R and Atmos Blue 5 S that come standard on the ST 190 driver real deal shafts? Also, if anyone has had a chance to test both, what is your opinion regarding stiffness and ball flight between Red and Blue?

Posted:
  • lefty1978lefty1978 Charlotte, NC 472Members Posts: 472
    Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5° w/ Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 661
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 3w 15° w/ Aldila Rogue Max 75g
    Mizuno CLK 3h 18° w/ Fujikura Speeder HB 75g
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL HMB 4 iron w/ DG 120 S300
    Mizuno MP-20 SEL 5-PW w/ DG 120 S300
    Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind
    Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind
    Scotty Cameron California Del Mar Putter
    Titleist AVX golf balls
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner  584Members Posts: 584

I picked up the 10.5 degree "HL" model on eBay recently for really cheap, and am similarly confused as to why Mizuno would choose to market the 10.5 degree head as "high launch". Usually that's reserved for the 12-13 degree models by Taylormade and Callaway and the like. 10.5 seems like a pretty standard loft for a driver head, even if it can be adjusted to 12.5.

Why I bought a driver right before winter, when I won't be able to swing it outdoors, is beyond me... but it looks really pretty.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190
    Adams Tight Lies 16 deg. 4 wood
    Srixon Z H45 3 & 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway MD4 W Grind 60 deg.
    Bettinardi Studio Stock #8 / Toulon Austin

Advertisement
  • aquapigaquapig  323Members Posts: 323

I assumed loft is loft. But I can tell you that I launched my 190 higher than any other 10 degree driver I've used. And the face looks very deep to me a address.

Posted:
  • reider69reider69  621Members Posts: 621

Has anyone else had an issue with durability? The top of mine became scratched immediately the first time I played on a sandy course. Then my buddy put huge sky marks on top when he tried it out. I have been playing Taylormade and Cobra drivers for the past 5 years and have no such issues with scratches and gouges on top. I have to decide whether to buy a new driver this coming year or send my head to Continental golf and get a more durable matte black finish.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 - Kuro Kage Silver Tini 70X
    Cobra BioCell+ - Matrix Ozik Red Tie 6Q3 X
    Cobra BioCell 3-4 Hybrid - Aldila Rogue Black 85 X
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-G, KBS C Taper Lite X
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 - 54 and 58 - Modus 105X
    Callaway Xforged - 64 degrees
    Lajosi DD201 Proto
  • ValtielValtiel Konica-Minolta Bizhub  2637Members Posts: 2,637

With all due respect, if you're hitting balls off the top edge/crown then I would hardly fault any driver for having "durability" issues there.

Posted:
    Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70xx ||  Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
    Callaway XHot 3Deep Pro 14.5* Veylix Rome 888x || Taylormade M1 13* Kuro Kage Dual Core 80TX
    Cobra F6 Baffler 16* Tensei Pro Orange 90TX || Taylormade RSI UDI 16* Fujikura Motore Speeder HB 9.8 Tour-Spec X
    PING Anser 20* Aldila Rogue Black 110MSI 105h Tour-X || Taylormade V-Steel 21* Project X Rifle Satin 6.5
    Mizuno MP-H4 3i 21* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-H4 4i 24* Project X PXi 7.0
    Mizuno MP-59 4i-PW 24*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
    Vokey  SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx1
    Vokey Special 62* Black Oxide V-Grind Brunswick Precision FCM 7.3 SSx2
    Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bullseye shaft

WITB Thread

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.