Apex cf16 to Apex 2019 irons - Loft jacking continuing??

Comments

• Joker91Joker91 Westminster, COMembers Posts: 563 ✭✭
    If they aren't what you want, don't buy them
  • golfer55082golfer55082 Members Posts: 290 ✭✭
    Joker91 wrote:

I just voice my opinion. As I said I am very disappointed as a owner of Apex 2014, Apex cf16, and Apex cf 16 / pro 16. Combo set. Sad to see Callaway now goes down the wrong path. My opinion only of course.
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 796 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

I used to have an old set of Spalding irons, had to be from the 1940's or 50's, early matched set....2-9 iron. the 9 iron was around 52 degrees I think. (who knows if it was at original specs)

The original matched sets were 1,2,3,4 wood. 1-9 iron and putter. 14 clubs.

Loft jacking started many years ago, it's just come to the point, with modern tech that it has to quit at some point.

It seems were are coming full circle, instead of buying a matched set we will soon be buying the entire set 1 club at a time like hickories. Based on loft or carry yardage.

It's funny you say that because when I saw the charts the OP posted I thought to myself, I should just buy 3-SW and just call it a day. Would that be very UNgolfWRX or very golfWRX?
    TaylorMade M2 Tensei Pro White 60s
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ Whiteboard 70s
    Callaway Rogue 5W w/ Whiteboard 80s
    Callaway Apex 19 Combo 4-AW
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*
    TaylorMade 60* Hi-Toe
    TaylorMade Spider X
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 910 ✭✭

Joker91 wrote:

I just voice my opinion. As I said I am very disappointed as a owner of Apex 2014, Apex cf16, and Apex cf 16 / pro 16. Combo set. Sad to see Callaway now goes down the wrong path. My opinion only of course.

If you can afford to buy 5 sets of irons in 5 years you can afford to have them bent to whatever loft you want them.

It's not that big of a deal.

Joker91 wrote:

Complaining just to complain?
  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino Members Posts: 2,178 ✭✭
    Since most manufacturers are going this route with almost all except their bladed or most demanding iron offerings, we're just going to be left with the easiest solution... add another gap wedge. Add in the 48 and go 48/52/56/60 or something similar.... not many people will be using a 43-ish degree wedge as a scoring club... it'll just go too far.
    M2 or M3 or M4 or ...
    Some driving iron for my home Links course
    Titleist Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2 or Pings
    A Vokey wedge or 2
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters
  • YepyukonYepyukon Hinge + Hold Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭

5 iron, 24° in cf16, 23.5° in cf19.

PW, 45° in cf16, 43° in cf19.

The pursuit for distance has reached a new level. Quite absurd.

See the pictures for all specs of cf16 and cf19.

At the end of the day, if a 7 iron still flys and lands like a 7 iron, why does it matter what loft it is.

Except that it is 10 yards longer than a traditionally-lofted 7 iron. Same for your PW. You suddenly have a 25 yards gap between the new PW and your 51-degree gap wedge. Then what you do?

I guess I learn to hit 3/4 shots, have the lofts bent, or buy a wedge to fill the gap?
    Srixon 785 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
    Nike VR Pro Limited 15* w/ Diamana Kai'li
    Srixon ZU85 18* w/ Diamana WB
    Srixon ZU85 22* w/ AxivCore Blue
    Srixon 785 5 - 8 w/ Project X Flighted
    Srixon Z Forged 9 - PW w/ Project X Flighted
    Cleveland RTX 4 50* 55* 60*
    Nike Method 003 Oven Prototype
    Srixon ZSTAR XV Tour Yellow
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Masters! ClubWRX Posts: 17,716 ClubWRX
    jjfcpa wrote:

5 iron, 24° in cf16, 23.5° in cf19.

PW, 45° in cf16, 43° in cf19.

The pursuit for distance has reached a new level. Quite absurd.

See the pictures for all specs of cf16 and cf19.

You do realize that those are standard lofts but you can custom order and specify weaker or stronger lofts. All this talk about loft jacking has me wondering if no one has every custom ordered clubs besides me?

"every custom ordered clubs"? - that explains it, if you have them all nobody else can get them!
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,260 ✭✭
    edited Jan 7, 2019 3:24pm #40
    Wait, you didn't listen to the OEMs?? They have to make the lofts stronger - the design of the irons launches the ball so high that without a 27* 7i your ball will launch to Jupiter!

/s
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• Jesse SanchezJesse Sanchez The Knife Members Posts: 278 ✭✭
    Can anyone chime in on the 19 pros Lofts? I could not see it anywhere on the website?
  • ZBigStickZBigStick Practice Perfect Form Members Posts: 5,313 ✭✭
    dlygrisse wrote:

Well, I mean, we are 7 days in to the new year, we are long overdue for a loft jacking thread.

You are welcome image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> It is only 7 days into the year but we have seen multiple increasing loft jacking instances in M6 (not surprising) and now Apex. Personally I am very disappointed in seeing this happen for Apex because Apex is supposed to be a PLAYER iron. **** it.

Apex CF are “Player’s” irons

X-Forged and MB are for Playas!
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]M4 9.5˚(10˚) GD TP-6[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]BB Alpha 816 16˚(15˚) Rogue I/O 70
    Apex 20˚ Kuro Kage Black 80
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Z U45 23˚ Steelfiber i95
    Z 745 5-PW Steelfiber i110 cw
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]RTX-4 50˚M, 56˚F (55˚), 60˚F S400 ti[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Spider Tour L-neck Silver
    Pro V1 2017
    [/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TP-5[/font]
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]Oakley Targetline Prizm Golf Dark[/font]
  • ChrisO72ChrisO72 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭
    Is another way to look at it is a problem created by obsession with increasing distance and forgiveness. Either it's due to jacked lofts or just more tech in the heads meaning launch angle increases meaning lofts need lowering.

Either way the irons are going further which is always going to create gaps at the bottom of the bag because we still need to cover all the shorter yardages.

Another consequence should be it creates overlap at the top so you can drop a club there. For me I don't need a hybrid because these 4 irons are as easy to hit as a hybrid these days anyway!
    WITB:
    Ping G400Max 9dg Tour 65S
    Ping G400 2h Tour 85S
    Titleist AP3 4-GW TT AMT White X100
    Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.08M, 58.08M
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • autronicdsmautronicdsm Members Posts: 745 ✭✭

Joker91 wrote:

If you can afford to buy 5 sets of irons in 5 years you can afford to have them bent to whatever loft you want them.

You're right, except you can't bend these 4* weaker.
  • CaseyDanCaseyDan Members Posts: 796 ✭✭
    It's interesting. The Apex specs we are all going from are provided by ****, not Callaway. What if their information is not correct? I still haven't seen any "official" information from Callaway posted in regards to the lofts.

In the standard 2019 standard Apex irons the lofts they list are 0.5* stronger in the 4-8 irons vs the CF16's. Then it goes a little crazy.

2019 Apex is:

1.5* stronger in the 9 iron

2* stronger in the PW

2* stronger in the AW

1* stronger in the GW

this is in comparison to the CF16.

Plus, why would an OEM make so many of their lofts in a set of irons at a 1/2 degree.

And no, I am not a Callaway hater. Big fan. Already ordered a set. Just throwing this thought out there since it crossed my mind.
    TaylorMade M2 Tensei Pro White 60s
    Callaway Epic Flash w/ Whiteboard 70s
    Callaway Rogue 5W w/ Whiteboard 80s
    Callaway Apex 19 Combo 4-AW
    Ping Glide 2.0 56*
    TaylorMade 60* Hi-Toe
    TaylorMade Spider X
  • rtraudtrtraudt Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭
    Alternative solution...buy a set of National Custom Works irons, have them stamped with the loft in numbers or something arbitrary but unique to you, and hit whatever club a given shot calls for. Subsequently confuse your playing partners when you respond to their inquires about club selection with "I hit my 24 degree" or "I hit my B club." After all, the numbers on the bottom of these clubs is completely arbitrary anyways.
    Callaway Epic SZ 11* ACCRA TZ6 
    Callaway Epic Flash 17* Atmos Red Tour Spec 7
    TM TP UDI 21* Nunchuk Xi
    Adams MB2 Raw 4-P PX LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 52, 58 Nippon Modus 115
    Byron Morgan 612
    Sun Mountain 3.5/CaddyTek
    Snell MTB Red
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,142 ✭✭
    CaseyDan wrote:

It's interesting. The Apex specs we are all going from are provided by ****, not Callaway. What if their information is not correct? I still haven't seen any "official" information from Callaway posted in regards to the lofts.

In the standard 2019 standard Apex irons the lofts they list are 0.5* stronger in the 4-8 irons vs the CF16's. Then it goes a little crazy.

2019 Apex is:

1.5* stronger in the 9 iron

2* stronger in the PW

2* stronger in the AW

1* stronger in the GW

this is in comparison to the CF16.

Plus, why would an OEM make so many of their lofts in a set of irons at a 1/2 degree.

And no, I am not a Callaway hater. Big fan. Already ordered a set. Just throwing this thought out there since it crossed my mind.

Considering they were amongst the multitude of golf folks that were at the launch they probably have the right info

Joker91 wrote:

You're buying the wrong thing if you need to bend them 4°
    Joker91 wrote:

Joker91 wrote:

You're buying the wrong thing if you need to bend them 4°

Exactly my point! By jacking up lofts, Apex irons turn from RIGHT thing to OK thing for some, and from OK thing to WRONG thing for some others.

edited Jan 7, 2019 5:27pm #51

Exactly my point! By jacking up lofts, Apex irons turn from RIGHT thing to OK thing for some, and from OK thing to WRONG thing for some others.

So you buy something different that's right for you. Your point is bad
  • HifadeHifade Sleepin' on the job. Slacker! Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭

FIGHT THE POWER!! SAVE TRADITIONALLY LOFTED IRONS!!!

God forbid my buddy is going to hit his “8 iron” as far as my 34* 7 iron! My fragile ego will NOT stand for that, **** it!!

All will be well in the world for you once he breaks out the greenbacks he owes ya.......press him NOW....ego fixed. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    PING G400 MAX 9* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15* - HZRDUS 6.5 Smoke
    PING G410 10* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    CALLAWAY '19 Smoke APEX 4-PW - KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY MD4 48* S Grind - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5 (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
    BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's
  • akseemakseem Members Posts: 29 ✭✭
    if you need to bend them 4 degrees weaker it is probably cheaper to get a label maker and cover the 7 on the bottom with a 6 and so on. it just means more wedges and the number on the bottom is no longer a universal standard, if it ever was.
  • CAThompsonGolfCAThompsonGolf Future Senior PGA Pro Members Posts: 399 ✭✭
    Trying to chip with these clubs must be really hard!
    KING LTD PRO HZRDUS 6.5
    Callaway GBB 3 wood 757 X flex
    Tour Edge CB Pro U Kuro Kage 90 X
    PING S55 3-PW TI DG X100 PURE'D
    Titleist Vokey SM4 52 56 60 DG X100 PURE'D
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 34"
  • Bimmer1Bimmer1 Members Posts: 2,538 ✭✭
    Do the lofts on the Apex CF19 have anything to do with the stock TT Elevate shaft? Maybe the flight of the shaft works with those lofts. Changing to a different shaft may present a problem.
  • vmanvman Members Posts: 1,228 ✭✭
    If you were buying the Apex cf19's 4-A wedge with a 52* and 58*, it seems like a good set up to me. You can fine tune gaps with a little bending. Then it's driver, 3 wood, 5 wood/hybrid....makes for a great set-up.
    CALLAWAY EPIC SUB ZERO 10.5*
    CALLAWAY X2 HOT 3 DEEP 14.5*
    ADAMS PRO MINI 18*
    CALLAWAY APEX 4-A
    CALLAWAY MD4 RAW 52* 58*
    ODYSSEY TUTTLE FLOW 35"
  • ChrisO72ChrisO72 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭
    vman wrote:

If you were buying the Apex cf19's 4-A wedge with a 52* and 58*, it seems like a good set up to me. You can fine tune gaps with a little bending. Then it's driver, 3 wood, 5 wood/hybrid....makes for a great set-up.

That's what I'm thinking too. Going to trade my 50 and 54 for a 52. They are too close anyway.
    WITB:
    Ping G400Max 9dg Tour 65S
    Ping G400 2h Tour 85S
    Titleist AP3 4-GW TT AMT White X100
    Vokey SM7 50.08F, 54.08M, 58.08M
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5
  • burritos4breakfastburritos4breakfast Members Posts: 227 ✭✭
    I've gone back to 14 Apex pros. Bent a Apex 4 iron weak to replace the Apex pro 4 iron and it's a great set. The gapping is better and I like the feel better than the 16 cfs and pros. Didn't like cupface it balooned too much not as purcing trajectory. I'd like to try xforged though

I've gone back to 14 Apex pros. Bent a Apex 4 iron weak to replace the Apex pro 4 iron and it's a great set. The gapping is better and I like the feel better than the 16 cfs and pros. Didn't like cupface it balooned too much not as purcing trajectory. I'd like to try xforged though

Definitely give xforged 18 a try. It’s almost as easy to hit as cf 16. It’s my current gamer and I think will stay in my bag for a while especially I have been turned off by the lofts of cf 19.
  • wbgfore!wbgfore! Members Posts: 8 ✭✭
    Really looking forward to an apex pro 19 vs x forged 18 review...hopefully someone does it.
  • smashdnsmashdn Let's cut them trees down. Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited Jan 8, 2019 12:33pm #61
    1988 - 2-PW - 9 clubs - $799 + 2 wedges + 2 woods + Putter

2019 - 4-PW - 7 clubs - $799 + 4 wedges + 2 woods + Putter

They can sell you an iron set with less clubs and then sell you more wedges at ~$130 per wedge.