Golfnow VIP is now GOLFPASS (MERGED)

larciellarciel I play for eagleMembers Posts: 2,324 ✭✭
edited Feb 4, 2019 1:47am in Deal or No Deal? #1
I Did not recieve any notice about this. I updated the golfnow app and on changelog it says vip changed to golfpass. Wtf?

They are combining revolution golf and other stuffs into one membership. Golfpass and golfpass+

Golfnow vip is now golfpass+ and of course with this exciting new program they increased the price to $199. (I have original $99) What a great way to introduce a program.

I am probably going to cancel vip now. They say you get $250 worth free hot deals but it's divided into 12 months so you get measly $20 voucher per month. And with the hot deals redemption getting crappier, why bother?

Any other alternative?

Www.golfpass.com

Comments

• SubaruWRXSubaruWRX Members Posts: 3,336 ✭✭
    larciel wrote:

I am probably going to cancel vip now. They say you get $250 worth free hot deals but it's divided into 12 months so you get measly $20 voucher per month. And with the hot deals redemption getting crappier, why bother?

That’s only $240. Even less that promised.
    “I think getting advice from guys who are sitting at the computer in their underwear while taking a break from **** is a very solid way to choose clubs.” - bluedot
  • MychMych Members Posts: 1,896 ✭✭
    I got emails about the new Golfnow program and the new Teeoff.com program. Both of them are too expensive for my blood. I'm betting that the "free" hot deals would be limited to Mon-Thurs and have to be booked 3 days in advance. If so, there's no way I'd be able to squeeze in one of those each month.

I'm also still on the $99 VIP, but I doubt that I'll renew when mine expires in next month.
    "Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*~ F6 Baffler 16.5* ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,324 ✭✭
    edited Feb 4, 2019 2:03pm #4
    Mych wrote:

I got emails about the new Golfnow program and the new Teeoff.com program. Both of them are too expensive for my blood. I'm betting that the "free" hot deals would be limited to Mon-Thurs and have to be booked 3 days in advance. If so, there's no way I'd be able to squeeze in one of those each month.

I'm also still on the $99 VIP, but I doubt that I'll renew when mine expires in next month.

mine expires in March too. Don't forget to turn off that AUTO RENEW!

I checked out teeoff program. It's SO MUCH better. $150/year and you get 3x$50 voucher (much easier to use), and 25% off EVERYTIME you book hotdeals. Or EXTRA 10% off on TOP of existing coupon codes.

I know where I'm going to.
    larciel wrote:

Mych wrote:

mine expires in March too. Don't forget to turn off that AUTO RENEW!

I checked out teeoff program. It's SO MUCH better. $150/year and you get 3x$50 voucher (much easier to use), and 25% off EVERYTIME you book hotdeals. Or EXTRA 10% off on TOP of existing coupon codes.

I know where I'm going to.

I like Teeoff's program better, but for me they don't have enough courses available in my area. Golfnow has about 12 courses within a 30 mile radius. Teeoff only has 4, and all 4 are also on Golfnow. Out of those 4, only 1 is really part of my group's regular rotation so I'm not sure I'd get good value out of that membership. I'd probably break even or a little better (after the 3 vouchers), but I'll probably pass and reevaluate it next year.
    Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 9.5*~ F6 Baffler 16.5* ~ Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Forged Tec One 3i ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Ping Tatum putter
    6 club minimalist: Cobra Forged Tec One 3i ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ Cleveland 588 Diadic 53* wedge ~ Ping Tatum putter ~ Silo Club Carrier
  • pshabipshabi Members Posts: 96 ✭✭
    SubaruWRX wrote:

larciel wrote:

That's only $240. Even less that promised.

Well, it's $21 a month, so it's $2 more than advertised!

Taking this and making a monthly thing makes absolutely no sense to people in climates where we only get 8 months to play unless we like playing in crap conditions. I got it last year even at $199 because the free hot deals, discount, and reward points I racked up still made sense financially. Not anymore.
  • tomuch23tomuch23 WIMembers Posts: 554 ✭✭
    I always auto renewed at the $99 rate but now it says $199. Guess that "grandfathered in rate" is going away?
    Srixon Z785 9.5° HCPXHB65
    Srixon F85 15° HCPXHY75
    Srixon H85 19°/22° PXHB85
    Srixon Z565 5i-Aw NPM 105
    Cleveland Cbx 54°/58° DG115
    Cleveland HB Soft #8.5
    Srixon Z Star/Q Star Tour, TM tp5 
    Ogio Silencer
  • BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    What’s it like playing with random golfers all the time? Just curious
  • eddiebigeddieeddiebigeddie Members Posts: 1,795 ✭✭
    I’ve been using GolfNow for 2+ years now and I’ve never been paired up with anyone else. There’s been times when others have bought the same tee time, but when I get to the course so far the courses I play just let us go out separately.
    Cobra F9 (9.5)...….…………………..Aldila Tour Blue 65
    Cobra F6 Baffler (16)…......…...…Project X HZRDUS Red 75
    Cobra F7 Hybrid (20.5).........…..Aldila Tour Blue 85

Mizuno 919 HM (5 - GW)……..Project X LZ 6.5
    or 
    PXG 0211 (5 - G)……...............….True Temper Elevate Tour X

Cobra King Black (54/10)......…Nippon Modus 115
    Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10)......KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa #9Ht
    Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
    Taking hot deals means usually you are paired with someone else.

Nothing much than a handshake and telling names that you probably forget by the 3rd hole.

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,734 ✭✭
    larciel wrote:
    Taking hot deals means usually you are paired with someone else.

Nothing much than a handshake and telling names that you probably forget by the 3rd hole.

Lol! My experience to a T
    I don't mind playing with random folks as long as they keep a decent pace. I've met a few really nice folks on cheap hot deals tee times. Usually they are people who enjoy playing and don't take themselves too seriously, so it's generally a fun round. They don't spend the whole round griping about the course because they only paid $10-15. They're just getting some swings in and soaking up the outdoors.
  • Stephen1125Stephen1125 Members Posts: 431 ✭✭
    I called golf pass the other day to ask about the tee times. I was told that you get one promo code per month that's good for any "hot deal" tee time regardless of price. The guy also said that each code is valid for one year. If you don't use the code the month it is issued, no problem it rolls over.

This seems odd considering what I've read about the previous program golf now offered. It also mentions "more than $240 a year in free golf"

If what the told me is true then it seems like a no brainier. $10/month for a free dozen balls and pretty flexible promo codes for "hot deals"

Does anyone have first hand experience with the new program?
  • ChadR7371ChadR7371 ClubWRX Posts: 52 ✭✭

I called golf pass the other day to ask about the tee times. I was told that you get one promo code per month that's good for any "hot deal" tee time regardless of price. The guy also said that each code is valid for one year. If you don't use the code the month it is issued, no problem it rolls over.

This seems odd considering what I've read about the previous program golf now offered. It also mentions "more than $240 a year in free golf"

If what the told me is true then it seems like a no brainier. $10/month for a free dozen balls and pretty flexible promo codes for "hot deals"

Does anyone have first hand experience with the new program?

Yeah, I am cautious about it, but I signed up for the maximum package.

The restrictions are:... MON THROUGH THURSDAY AFTER NOON

At my level, the benefits are: cancellation up to an hour before the tee time, one unlimited value hot deal per month. I live in a tourist destination, so the hot deals are often worth $80-$100. I redeemed my first coupon for $85 for a tee time this Wednesday. Even with local rates, it's a good value.

The $20 maximum thing is for those in the grandfathered plans that (paid less?) and now get the new content.
    edited Feb 13, 2019 1:50am #15
    how much is maximum pkg? Must be $199/year too?

If it's one hot deal per month (no $20 limit) AND it rolls over, then this is a no-brainer.

Just saw the TOC. even $99/year plan has free golf/month. Hot ****. I'm going to cancel mine and sign up new.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • puttnforthe8puttnforthe8 Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭
    According to the FAQ it says specifically each month you will be sent a code for a Hot Deal Tee Time code for up to $21.

So the rep from the phone call stated above is probably misinformed.
  • aceofclubsaceofclubs Members Posts: 838 ✭✭
    Ive been thinking about signing up for GolfPass just for the free monthly golf....but apparently at this point it is still not clear what that gets you.

1 Hot deal for $21....no thanks.

1 Hot deal with no $ maximum that rolls over if you dont use it....yes please.
    Driver: TBD
    Fairway: Taylormade Superfast 16.5*/Even Flow Blue
    Hybrid: Titleist 913H/Rogue Black
    Irons: Mizuno MP 59s
    Wedges: Titleist SM4 52/56/60
    Putter: This area intentionally left blank
    edited Feb 17, 2019 2:15pm #18
    I re up’d my GolfNow Vip membership in Dec because they gave me a price of $49...then in Jan it changed to Golfpass...but I have not seen any free golf passes/hot deal money in Jan or Feb thus far.

or 

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
    Just got free hot deal code. Maximum$21 but I can pay difference if I want more expensive course.

Not bad.
  • thevaporzthevaporz Members Posts: 2,998 ✭✭
    edited Feb 21, 2019 5:25pm #20
    I'll keep using them without paying for any VIP program since they started it a few years ago. I just booked a cheap $10 time for this Monday that I didn't even play in order to get the 50% off future code they did for President's Day.

Monday was the last day to use the code so I said what the hey and burned $10 knowing I couldn't play and I still got the 50% off code.

Not worth $99 VIP membership to me when they seem to have been running lots of these types of holiday weekend codes frequently over the last year. "Book from here to here to play here to here and get two $20 Hot Deal codes, get 50% off (first I've seen this one I believe), get a free Hot Deal, etc."

I tested it and might play Aviara (LPGA Kia Classic) normally $170 with code for $89. Or do a different course $60 for $30 deals instead. Aviara is really nice and this is the cheapest it gets using GolfNow for that course.
  • A-rexA-rex Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    Does anyone have the actual fine print of each tier? I don't see it on the sign-up page. I am still pretty disappointed from last year's changes and found the membership of little value personally. It looks like you now need the 199 tier to even have fees waived. Autorenwal --> OFF
    Callaway Big Bertha DBD
    Callaway Apex Pro Irons
    Callaway MD3 Wedges
    Odyssey Two Ball
    I turned my autorenewal off, so I only have a few weeks left. Good luck to all who move to the new program. I'm hoping I'll get a sweeter renewal deal as my expiration date approaches..
  • darkcm21darkcm21 Members Posts: 67
    Has anyone signed up for golf pass, $9.99 a month or $99 for the year? ncludes a round of free golf every month. Just that, seems worth it to me. Does anyone know how that works? Do you pick the course? Or do they randomly pick one for you in the area?
    Taylormade M3 Driver 9.5
    Titleist 816 H1 17 2 hybrid
    Titleist 716 Cb 3-PW
    Vokey SM5 52 F, 56 S, 60 S
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • jli2636jli2636 Members Posts: 1,050 ✭✭
    If it’s anything like GolfNow’s old system that free round will only be good Monday-Thursday before 3 pm and has to be booked 3 days in advance. It’s likely a “free”round meaning they will contribute $X towards a round and you would have to come up with the difference. Don’t know for a fact, but just a hunch.
    edited Feb 27, 2019 5:45pm #25
    jli2636 wrote:

If it's anything like GolfNow's old system that free round will only be good Monday-Thursday before 3 pm and has to be booked 3 days in advance. It's likely a "free"round meaning they will contribute $X towards a round and you would have to come up with the difference. Don't know for a fact, but just a hunch.

correct

$21 voucher / month. you pay the rest. M-Thr after 12pm. With summer coming, it's not bad.

But I've noticed that many popular courses in SoCal now has hot deal time of 11:48am .. sneaky Golfnow... lol
    The Mon-Thu with 3 day advance is what killed their program for me. Golfing during the week is usually a same-day decision for me based on workload, so it's extremely rare for me to be able to predict 3 days out that I'll be able to play midweek. That made most of the free round deals and "buy 1 round, get 2 free" type of promotions almost valueless for me. I think I have accumulated about 4 of them since Halloween, and I couldn't even find time during the slow period around the holidays to use them. There's no chance I'll get to use them in the next few months.
    Mych wrote:
    The Mon-Thu with 3 day advance is what killed their program for me. Golfing during the week is usually a same-day decision for me based on workload, so it's extremely rare for me to be able to predict 3 days out that I'll be able to play midweek. That made most of the free round deals and "buy 1 round, get 2 free" type of promotions almost valueless for me. I think I have accumulated about 4 of them since Halloween, and I couldn't even find time during the slow period around the holidays to use them. There's no chance I'll get to use them in the next few months.

If you don’t want them, I’d be more than happy to help you use them. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

or 

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie

Mych wrote:

If you don’t want them, I’d be more than happy to help you use them. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I'll dig through my email/account and see what I have that I can share.
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭
    Mych wrote:

The $99 renewal is no more. Incredible.

And so I called in to ask about it - told them I was "grandfathered in" and he said "No, it was just for one more year."

So now GN is not only changing the terms of engagement midstream but they have resorted to outright lying.

I know what I was told, multiple times, when I signed up. And it wasn't $199.

And when I pointed out the restrictions and how I CANNOT take off in the middle of the week his response was classic. "Sir, just take a vacation day and enjoy some cheap golf."

Naw, I think I will just use GN to find course prices, call the course directly and toss them to the floor. What was once an awesome website has become a total mess. I simply don't play enough golf to justify "saving the booking fees" and those coupons are worthless to me.
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft
    Not sure how I got lucky, but when mine ended last year in (April/May) I didn’t renew...but in Dec they sent me an email with a $49 renewal + $200 in free golf. So of course I took it. There’s a few courses near me where I can play for $10-15 through them which is really good. And luckily my job is very flexible as far as days and hours I work.

or 

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • MedicMedic Members Posts: 9,422 ✭✭
    I literally just received an email this morning advising me that my "GolfNow VIP is now Golfpass!"

No thanks.

I think I will let it run it's course until the expiration and then move on.

Just not quite sure anyone there is really all that concerned about customer retention. They put a bunch of crap into the "membership" that no one asked for, remove the things every single member enjoyed, increase the annual fee and then tell you about the changes after they have been made and lie about what their reps previously stated.

Time to exercise other options....
    Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
    Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
    Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
    Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
    Titleist Vokey 50*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
    Tad Moore TM-1 35"
    Callaway Chrome Soft