Golf bags for travel

Hey All,

I'm looking for a new travel golf bag. Looks like the Sun Mountain Club Club Glider is one of the better ones. I currently have an older Trav-A-Lite golf case. It was cool as you just put your clubs in it, no bag, remove the top when you get to where you're going..

Looking at most newer travel bags, they are all over the 62" airline limit for checked baggage. Some are saying the airlines charge you extra beyond 62 inches, some say they don't. What's the truth?

Greg
WITB:
Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 10.5 - Fubuki X

3 Wood: Callaway Xhot 3Deep 14.5[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° [/font]- Aldila Green X
Hybrid: Callaway Apex 20[font=helvetica,arial,sans-serif]° - [/font]
Irons: Titliest AP2 4-PW - KBS Tour C-Taper S
Wedges: Titliest SM6 50 Degree F Grind, Titliest SM6 54 Degree F Grind, Titliest SM6 60 Degree K Grind

Putter(s): Odyssey Works #9 33 Inch
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X Truvis

Comments

• az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭
    Sports equipment is a special category. You don’t get charged extra (beyond what you would already need to pay) for one set of clubs.
  • I_HATE_SNOWI_HATE_SNOW Members Posts: 3,228 ✭✭
    Check your airline, we've never been charged extra as long as they are under 50#. Flown United, American and Frontier.
  • tad950tad950 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    Golf bags aren’t usually restricted by the 62 linear inches maximum, as long as the bag meets weight restrictions. But go to the airline’s site to make sure. A counter person at Hawaiian Air once tried to charge me oversized fees for a ski bag. Their maximum for a ski bag was 62 linear inches. Which made absolutely no sense. The supervisor begrudgingly waived my fees.
  • I didn't get charged extra on my most recent trip on United for my Club Glove.
  • YMarkYMark Members Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    Fly Southwest if you can. Clubs fly free.
    Mark
    Havin fun in the AZ sun
  • YMark wrote:

Why would anyone want to deal with that unless they have status on SouthWest????
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,022 ✭✭
    You won't have a problem with size of the travel bag; just make sure it stays under 50 lbs. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Can't recommend the Club Glove enough. Have over a decade from the Last Bag
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭
    Some additional rules here for 12 major airlines: https://www.purpleparking.com/travel-advice/packing-and-baggage/golf-baggage-allowances

I’ve flown all of these with golf bags and another 20+ other airlines in South America, Africa, Australia and Asia. I can’t recall a single one that treated one item of “sports equipment” outside of the normal rules, e.g., weight restrictions apply the same as for regular luggage.

The only time I’ve ever seen this be a little weird was when a buddy of mine brought clubs to a national club he belongs to and left the clubs there but brought he travel bag back. They wanted to charge him for the bag being oversized because he didn’t have any clubs in it. image/laugh.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> Common sense eventually prevailed but it took a while and words with a supervisor.
  • JDFishJDFish Pickerington, OhioMembers Posts: 817 ✭✭
    Club Glove - they are nearly indestructible and last forever. And, instead of **** with checking a golf bag, I highly recommend ShipSticks and have the clubs delivered wherever you are playing first and ship them home from the last place you play. IMO, it is worth the price to eliminate the hassle of dealing with golf clubs in an airport, rental car, etc.
    Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
    Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
    Callaway XR 5 wood/Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
    Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
    Evnroll ER5 32"
  • Pearson10MPearson10M Posts: 100 ✭✭
    I have a Club Glove Bag Burstproof 2. It is a good sized, but a little tight for my Sun Mountain C-130 (2016 model). With a Stiff Arm, the Club Glove Bag has protected my clubs without incident on several flights.

I just got back from flying on Delta and they charged me $30 each way for my clubs. Same price as a normal checked bag.
    JDFish wrote:

Club Glove - they are nearly indestructible and last forever. And, instead of **** with checking a golf bag, I highly recommend ShipSticks and have the clubs delivered wherever you are playing first and ship them home from the last place you play. IMO, it is worth the price to eliminate the hassle of dealing with golf clubs in an airport, rental car, etc.

We usually fly to Mexico, don't think that would work for us.
  • krbkrb Members Posts: 62 ✭✭
    My next travel bag will be the Sun Mountain Club Glider. Very impressed with that as several friends have them. However, my Club Glove is showing no signs of wearing out. Regarding the stiff arm, recommended, but not fool proof. I remove the heads from my driver and three wood now.

• tad950tad950 Members Posts: 54 ✭✭
    I use a wood broomstick or closet rod cut 1 inch longer than my longest club. I also slice a tennis ball and put it on top of the rod for cushioning. The wood is way better for side impacts than the Stiff Arm. I’ve done this for dozens of flights, and so far I haven’t had any problems using the Last Bag,

I also put clothing (dirty laundry on the return) in the travel bag up to the 50 lb max. So maybe the extra padding helps protect the clubs.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,679 ✭✭
    I have the club glider tour series and it is crazy how easy it moves..!!! Very thick material and top has thick heavy padding. I still use a stiff arm and remove the head off my driver. I do use some velcro straps and strap the wood shafts to the stiff arm to keep them close to the center. Do it for irons too. I use a 2.5 SM bag and pull the iron shafts to the middle and use a strap on them too.
    tad950 wrote:

I use a wood broomstick or closet rod cut 1 inch longer than my longest club. I also slice a tennis ball and put it on top of the rod for cushioning. The wood is way better for side impacts than the Stiff Arm. I’ve done this for dozens of flights, and so far I haven’t had any problems using the Last Bag,

I also put clothing (dirty laundry on the return) in the travel bag up to the 50 lb max. So maybe the extra padding helps protect the clubs.

We carry a luggage scale just for the trip home, under $10 on Amazon.
  • Liberdo4Liberdo4 Members Posts: 3
    Are you interested in buying from an online shop? If yes, then you should search for a while on the Internet. There are lots of products available. All the best!
    Travelsites.com is a world best travel websites. Travel sites can give you lots of information about travel hotels, restaurant, car rental, travel accessories and many more.
  • AUTIGER07AUTIGER07 Just lost $1K on a putt Members Posts: 1,099 ClubWRX
    I picked up one of the Samsonite hard cases 2 years ago and it has been solid. Only challenge has been you need to make sure your rental car is at least a mid-to-full size (SUV preferred) as there is no way it'll fit in something smaller.

https://www.pgatoursuperstore.com/samsonite-hard-sided-golf-travel-cover/1094959001.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjaGm7_DV4AIVgxh9Ch2IwAf0EAQYAiABEgLvW_D_BwE

1000000019626_6850Black-copy.jpg?sw=1200&sh=1200&sm=fit
    915D3 8.5 D70X *B1*
    915F 16.5 D80X *C1*
    915Hd 20.5 D90X *C1*
    MP4 4-9 C-Taper X
    VR Forged 47 / 51 / 55 / 59
    Black Lab BL-7
  • UNClawgolferUNClawgolfer Members Posts: 99 ✭✭
    Another vote for Club Glove!
  • toddnttoddnt Members Posts: 4,269 ✭✭
    Club Glove!
  • BlackettBlackett Members Posts: 34
    Club glove as well.. I have debating on getting hard case
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Posts: 298 ✭✭
    Keep in mind that, if you're part of a guys group sharing a vehicle and you have a hard case, you'll be "that guy."
    Blackett wrote:

Club glove as well.. I have debating on getting hard case

We had SKB hard shells, went to Club Glove. LIghter, more capacity, easier to deal with.
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99 Members Posts: 3,925 ✭✭

YMark wrote:

Why would anyone want to deal with that unless they have status on SouthWest????

Deal with what? Southwest is great. Buy the early bird for $30 round trip and pick a nice seat. Clubs fly free and a suitcase. Easy peasy.
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,679 ✭✭
    edited Mar 8, 2019 10:59pm #25
    LeoLeo99 wrote:

YMark wrote:

Deal with what? Southwest is great. Buy the early bird for $30 round trip and pick a nice seat. Clubs fly free and a suitcase. Easy peasy.

+1......wondering what the issue is with Southwest??? I have the points card and I dont think I have paid for a golf trip flight in 3+ years. Never had an issue with SW related to luggage ever.
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Posts: 298 ✭✭
    One other note about ClubGlove: unless you don't ever want to pack some extra clothes in the golf bag, make sure you get the full-sized Last Bag, and not the collegiate size. The collegiate will accommodate a carry bag and not much else; wish I'd gotten the larger model. I am now using a cheaper travel bag just so I can put a few extra clothes in with my clubs.
  • LeftDaddyLeftDaddy Members Posts: 653 ✭✭
    I’ve tried a wide variety of travel bags. I had the Samsonite, and I’ve had two other hard cases. I also have that hybrid (forgotten who makes it) where the top is hard and covers your clubs, and the bottom has wheels for rolling (and the bag can be used as a cart bag).

Anyway, every single one of the hard cases got broken by the airlines. My clubs were always fine, but the cases themselves were broken. And they are awfully unwieldy to move through the airport and rental cars. So I broke down recently and bought the Club Glove based on everyone’s recommendation. I haven’t traveled with it yet but it looks really solid.
    Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
    Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
    Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
    Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
    Bettinardi BB1
  • DandyDonDandyDon Posts: 188 ✭✭
    Has anyone bought the accompanying travel bags with the club glove travel bag? If so, thoughts?
    DandyDon wrote:

Has anyone bought the accompanying travel bags with the club glove travel bag? If so, thoughts?
    We have the xl rolling duffle. Quality gear! Came with small zipper bags to tidy up packing. Bag will outlive me.
  • OutBackHackOutBackHack Members Posts: 902 ✭✭

DandyDon wrote:

We have the xl rolling duffle. Quality gear! Came with small zipper bags to tidy up packing. Bag will outlive me.

Best luggage ever....I treat it like an enemy... Will outlive me also.
  • desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Using a club glove currently. Like the straps and how sturdy it is.

Bag boy before and it worked great too.

Use the adjustable bag boy backbone.

Take head off woods.

Alaska airlines it’s just a checked bag, so with status etc... no bag fee when traveling.