Club Corp Course Reviews for Play Away (Formerly Travel) Members

12345679»

Comments

• SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  455WRX Points: 260Handicap: 10.3Posts: 455 Greens

If you call the clubline, they generally have a good idea of who is overseeding when.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • SecondandGoalSecondandGoal South Shore MAMembers  455WRX Points: 260Handicap: 10.3Posts: 455 Greens

Played The Dye Club at Barefoot Resort and Wachesaw Plantation while down in Myrtle Beach for Thanksgiving.

Dye Club was a fun track. Conditions weren't as good as they'd normally be. They had to redo their overseeding because of a frost that partially killed off the initial effort, and there were absolutely torrential downpours early morning before we played. The range was closed and we were limited to cart path only because of it. The course is reasonably open, with most holes having huge waste bunkers. Misses weren't penalized too heavily, and it was really tough to get yourself into deep trouble. If you wanted to hit driver, you were usually hitting into a fairway that started narrowing at about 240 yards, so there was some risk involved. Lots of bunkers, with deep, soft sand. Greens were smooth but a bit slow.

Wachesaw Plantation is one of my favorite courses. A little tight, but again, not overly punishing on misses. Conditions were exceptional, especially for late November. Greens were smooth and slick, Stimping at 12 according to the clubhouse wall, which I'd say was pretty accurate. The course winds through a very nice development, with a variety of style of beautiful houses.

Posted:
  • tjbluetjblue Members  234WRX Points: 74Posts: 234 Fairways

Add in the Curahee club and my wife and I did the same trip last week.

Dye club was very wet and Wachesaw greens were running at an 11.

What a fantastic deal!

Posted:

Nice! Is Curahee part of the program, or did you just play it on your own?

Posted:

They are part of the program.

Curahee is a must play and the staff went above and beyond to make our visit special. Epic golf trip.

Posted:
  • clubtossclubtoss Members  1WRX Points: 5Posts: 1 Starters

Talkinggolfsticks - I believe Stonebriar Fazio overseeded this winter.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • SimpSimp Members  2960WRX Points: 179Posts: 2,960 Titanium Tees

Related question: if you're a member at one CC course can you practice at another course if you live closer to it?

Posted:
    WITB
    TM M3 440 10°
    TM M3 15°
    Adams Idea Pro 22°
    TM Gapr 17°
    Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
    Cleveland RTX CB 50°,54° 
    Callaway MD4 64°
    Ping Sigma Darby
  • marks21marks21 Members  217WRX Points: 98Posts: 217 Fairways

How strict are they with the 100 mile radius? There is a course roughly 80 miles from where I live. Are the pretty accommodating or strict on this rule?

Posted:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
    Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
    Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
    Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
    Toulon Portland H3
    Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

I was wondering why I didn't see Currahee on the list for Myrtle Beach. Duh, because it's in Georgia. We're heading out to Atlanta to visit my brother in law late winter, we'll have to play that one.

Posted:
  • suavitersuaviter Members  40WRX Points: 21Handicap: 15Posts: 40 Bunkers

Any recs on ClubCorp courses near Boca Raton or Palm Beach?

PGA National and Boca Lago looking like options.

Don't know if its worth it for us to go PGA National Champions course and get our brains beat in if we are just trying to get away and get some sun.

Posted:
  • RaytorRaytor Members  158WRX Points: 65Posts: 158 Fairways

In my experience, fairly strict.

I'm 104 miles from Somerby, near Rochester MN, and when we first called to book it, the ClubCorp phone agent Google Mapped it to confirm we were good.

We have friends who are also ClubCorp PlayAway members, they live 8 miles closer to Somerby (96 miles away), and have had their request to book there declined.

Posted:
    Taylormade M4
    Mizuno JPX-EZ 17
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 21
    Mizuno Fli-Hi 24
    Mizuno MP-25 5 - PW
    Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 wedges, 50, 54, 58
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2

Advertisement
  • TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TXMembers  595WRX Points: 85Handicap: 8Posts: 595 Golden Tee

Tha Champions course at PGA National I didn't think was overly difficult with the exception of the last few holes. You can always play the other course on property as well. Also, they only allow play on the Champions course M-Th.

Posted:

Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

• theebdktheebdk Members  452WRX Points: 82Posts: 452 Greens

You answered something I have always wondered about. Is it a 100 mile radius (100 miles as a bird flies) or 100 miles via Google Maps? Maps it is, good to know.

Posted:

Just got back from Phoenix and played Gainey Ranch in Scottsdale. I really wanted to play Seville, but could not get a tee time that fit my travel schedule. I read a review somewhere on GolfWRX that called it a boring track. I disagree.

Played Dunes and Arroyo 9s. Found the course to be fun, no two holes were the same, and conditions were excellent. The greens were a bit slow for my liking but were in good shape. Service was very good from the pro shop to the bar. The course was busy but pace was fast. I was a single that was matched up with three ClubCorp members including a fellow travel member. I had never met a travel member before so it was interesting to chat about their experience.

Will have to get back and play the lakes nine.

Posted:
  • tjl48tjl48 MNMembers  237WRX Points: 53Handicap: 4Posts: 237 Fairways

Just played both courses in Las Vegas. They are Canyon Gate and Bears Best. I enjoyed both courses and they were both in fine shape considering the time of year. Both are a little hike from the strip, but not bad at all if you are renting a car. I am not a golf course snob at all so I won't weigh in there. If I had to choose one to play when here I think it would be bears best. Everyone I talked to said they liked Canyon Gate better, but Bears Best is desert golf and being from the Midwest rarely get to play that style of golf. First 2 pictures are Canyon Gate and 3rd is Bears Best.

Posted:

If anyone who reads this thread and has any pull with ClubCorp please get the Pete Dye club in WV back in the fold....please.

Posted:

Advertisement

Perhaps the pull needs to be with the owner of the Pete Dye Club. Club was sold several years ago and around that time or shortly thereafter it left the Clubcorp program. Reading an article the new, or technically the originally owner, is trying to build a national membership. Sounds more like it fits into the dormie network model.

Posted:
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck Members  490WRX Points: 228Posts: 490 Greens

Not as certain about golf, but I was able to use a dining club located less than 90 miles away from my home club. I suspect it's a bit of a case-by-case thing.

Posted:
  • amb43amb43 Members  5WRX Points: 46Posts: 5 Bunkers

ATL

• not a ton of courses near the middle of town but Eagles Landing south of town is a fun track (27 holes) and usually in great shape
    • Windermere up 400 is also very fun

Posted:
  • tjl48tjl48 MNMembers  237WRX Points: 53Handicap: 4Posts: 237 Fairways

Anyone have any updated recommendations for the Dallas area? Headed down for a trip in a few weeks and will play at least 2 rounds, and am hoping to squeeze in a third. I was thinking of Stonebridge Ranch Dye course for one, the Fazio course at Stonebriar, and then trying to decide between TPC Craig Ranch and Gleneagles. Anyone played there recently. Haven't been able to find a ton on the TPC Course.

Posted:
  • TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TXMembers  595WRX Points: 85Handicap: 8Posts: 595 Golden Tee

I haven't played any of those recently but would choose TPC Craig Ranch over Gleneagles based solely on design.

Posted:

Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

Advertisement
  • oneunderbogeyoneunderbogey Lefty Boomers  667WRX Points: 83Posts: 667 Golden Tee

Any reviews on Cozumel Country Club. Heading down there in March and would like to get a round in

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.