Have You Owned Or Do You Own A Muscle Car?

aloha b.aloha b. Members Posts: 577 ✭✭
edited Mar 4, 2019 12:09am in The 19th Hole #1
Being a teenager in the 60's I owned the following cars at one time and who knew then what they'd be worth today! 1957 Chevy Stepside, 1967 Chevelle with 396 L78 engine, 1956 Chevy with pumped up 327 motor (only got 4 miles per gallon), 1968 Camaro SS 350, 1969 Z28 with factory cross-ram, 1970 Chevelle 454 LS6. As you can see I was a Chevy guy and my friends had other Chevy muscle cars and also 426 Hemi-Cuda's, Roadrunners, 440 six-paks, Boss 429, Boss 302, etc. There was one guy from a wealthy family that had a AC Cobra 427 which was incredible. I don't know where my pictures are because we didn't have digital cameras in those days.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jaysno24jaysno24 Members Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I would kill for the chevelle you had! Maybe one day I will finally get my dream car!
    TM M1 10.5
    TM M1 3W
    Cobra King Oversize 3-4H
    Cobra King F7 One-Length 5-G
    PXG 0311 Gen 2 LW
    TM Spider Tour Platinum 35"
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I don't suppose it would qualify as a true muscle car, but I had a '71 Buick Riviera fastback with a 4bbl. 455. More along the lines of the "personal luxury car" genre, really . . . I bought it for around $800. from the original owner in 1980. Best American car I'd ever owned.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• KAndyManKAndyMan JUST GOTTA SEND IT!!! Members Posts: 319 ✭✭
    My neighbors growing up had all sorts of muscle cars and i was fortunate to spend quite a bit of time with them. The cars that stood out in their collection were a few late '60s Camaros, Chevelles from '66-72 and one really sweet '62 Impala they had. Truly awesome cars and lately ive been trying to figure out if my kids would have fun with me and a '69 Camaro w/383 stroker. '68-'69 Camaro is pretty much my dream car. Also like the '70 Nova
  • SixtySomePingSixtySomePing Members Posts: 5,049 ✭✭
    I had a '68 Camaro SS, same color as that Cobra. Sold it when I ordered my '73 Z28. It was cherry red, no stripes just cherry red. Wish I had both of them now... image/mellow.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' />
  • WrigglesWriggles Members Posts: 3,171 ✭✭
    I bought a 1984 base Camaro new, sluggish v-6, looked like a muscle car, though.

I bought a new Cadillac ATS in 2017. Same turbo 4 as a Camaro. Should qualify as a modern muscle car.
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,612 ClubWRX
    edited Feb 20, 2019 9:10am #7
    Not a true muscle car, but when we got married my wife drove a 72 Olds Cutlas Convertible. We got rid of it when we moved to Phoenix (no A/C). The guy who bought it (back in our hometown) spruced it up and sold it. I’ve been trying to buy that car back for at least 10 years. In fact the guy who has it now is one of my old customers, i mention it whenever I see him and he tells me his wife just loves it and it’s not for sale. I don’t think we’re ever getting it back. Looked just like this one.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Fellaheen51Fellaheen51 Go Green MichiganMembers Posts: 4,407 ✭✭
    BITD (1971). 1968 Pontiac Firebird 400. 330 h.p., Muncie trans stirred with a 4-speed Hurst shifter, 3.38 posi, duals. No PS/PB although it did have front discs. Took some muscle to drive it. Verdoro Green with NO vinyl roof. Plenty of giddy up. Bought it off a PMD engineer. Fun car, chicks dug it. Could regularly dust up Z28 302 Camaros (396 big blocks, no), 390 Mustangs, 383 Road Runners and Chargers (440's not so much. Hemi's forget it). It's the Motor City. Woodward Avenue. Something of a rite of passage to have a "go fast" car at least once in one's life.

Had it for about 1.5 years. Through one winter. Terrible traction even with the posi in a Michigan winter. Moved on, needing funds for tuition and other squandering's. Bought a beater '65 Dodge for transport. Sigh. A neighbor has a fully restored '66 GTO 389 Tri-Power, Black on Black, 4-Speed (muscle cars should always be so equipped). A beauty!!! Get's me to thinking. Although I dislike working on cars, so rationality returns.

Now days, not much desire to own a muscle car. But a long and low '63 Bonnie Convert would be nice weekend cruiser. Could easily fit four bags of clubs in the trunk with room left over for a cooler.

The Firebird looked just like this:

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs
  • ohioglfrohioglfr Municipal Junkie Members Posts: 712 ✭✭
    I visited this place a few times when I lived in the Chicago area. Usually lots of muscle cars for sale there. Worth the visit.

https://www.volocars.com/auto-sales/vehicles

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S)
    Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R)
    Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R)
    Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R)
    Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R)
    Ping Darby Sigma G

• joeshmojoeshmo Posts: 1,050 ✭✭
    1968 442 W30 Hurst 4 speed

1965 Chevy Impala SS 327-350HP 4 speed
    Talent is the desire to practice
  • aloha b.aloha b. Members Posts: 577 ✭✭
    ohioglfr wrote:

I don't suppose it would qualify as a true muscle car, but I had a '71 Buick Riviera fastback with a 4bbl. 455. More along the lines of the "personal luxury car" genre, really . . . I bought it for around $800. from the original owner in 1980. Best American car I'd ever owned.

Those were really nice cars.
    KAndyMan wrote:

My neighbors growing up had all sorts of muscle cars and i was fortunate to spend quite a bit of time with them. The cars that stood out in their collection were a few late '60s Camaros, Chevelles from '66-72 and one really sweet '62 Impala they had. Truly awesome cars and lately ive been trying to figure out if my kids would have fun with me and a '69 Camaro w/383 stroker. '68-'69 Camaro is pretty much my dream car. Also like the '70 Nova

I don't see how your kids wouldn't have fun with you and a 69 Camaro w/383 stroker. You'd probably be the envy of your kids friends!

Not a true muscle car, but when we got married my wife drove a 72 Olds Cutlas Convertible. We got rid of it when we moved to Phoenix (no A/C). The guy who bought it (back in our hometown) spruced it up and sold it. I’ve been trying to buy that car back for at least 10 years. In fact the guy who has it now is one of my old customers, i mention it whenever I see him and he tells me his wife just loves it and it’s not for sale. I don’t think we’re ever getting it back. Looked just like this one.

Sweet! I can see why you'd like to get that car back.
    When I had my cars premium leaded gas was in the .36 - .50 range I think.
  • joeshmojoeshmo Posts: 1,050 ✭✭
    aloha b. wrote:

When I had my cars premium leaded gas was in the .36 - .50 range I think.

It needed to be that low with the mileage we were getting
    Talent is the desire to practice
  • BIG STUBIG STU Members Posts: 11,155 ✭✭
    edited Feb 23, 2019 4:29am #16
    Lets see back in the day

66 Chevelle Super Sport 396

66 Ford Fairlane GTA 390

69 Corvette 427

69 Dodge Super Bee 440 Six Pack

69 Camaro Z-28

70 Camaro Z-28

55 Chevy 210 Bel Air 427 Built this car myself from the ground up

69 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ 455 4 speed--- I built this car from a stock SJ and a wrecked GTO Judge

69 Corvette 396 I built this one too and this was the one that was stolen

The last muscle car I owned was back in 87 and it was tame compared to the others not really muscle 78 Corvette 350 automatic

Since 87 it has been ratty pick up trucks mostly-- I was basically rat rodding before it was cool--- All of my muscle cars except the 55 Chevy and the 69 SJ were rat rods. For some reason I mostly ended up with 1969 model cars
    Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stock Regular shaft
    FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
    Irons 3 thru 9 KZG Kyoei Forged CB 1st generation Swing Science 400 Graphite Senior flex
    PW Cleveland Special 588 45* bent to 47* Stock Cleveland Steel Shaft
    SW Cleveland 588 56* DG Sensicore S-300 ( old dependable)
    Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Bulls Eye fluted shaft rusty and lead taped as heck named "Rusty"
    Bag-- Jones Classic non stand
    Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want **** the USGA & R&A
    Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
    Vintage
    Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
    3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
    Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green or 1980 Macgregor VIP 3 thru PW Hogan Apex #2 shafts " The famous Bastardized Macs"
    PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
    SW Macgregor LRA 56* S-400 DJ Special-- Will rotate out when old dependable does not behave
    Putter ( subject to change) Lil David 8802
    Bag Old School Power Bilt orange mini staff
  • My father had an early Mustang which was a 65 convertible. He went off the Vietnam and came home to a totaled car. My grandmother had a 67 Tempest Lemans which was all original. She came over to the house one day in a Ford Tempo. I asked her what happened to her car? She sold it for 500 bucks. Someday I'd like a GTX, Roadrunner or Super bee.
  • TerpFangolferTerpFangolfer Members Posts: 576 ✭✭
    My 1st car out of college was an new '88 Mustang 5.0

Loved that car...sold it 1 month before 1st kid was born for a 4 door Oldsmobile :-(
    TM R1
    TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
    Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
    Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
    Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
    Ping TR 1966 Anser2
  • sunbeltgolfersunbeltgolfer Members Posts: 471 ✭✭
    I;ve owned a 68, 69 Corvette and a 68 Camaro RS/SS. Tinkered with all of them and the Camaro wound up being modified to the point where it wasn't street legal anymore. Have moved on from the muscle era cars to more modern stuff with a little comfort and luxury. I guess it's part of aging. The closest thing we have now is an SL550.
  • bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,301 ✭✭
    Never any old muscle cars, but I've had a few from my era. I've had a 90, 01, 04 and 15 Mustang GT. None of them stock, all fun to drive.

The 90 I was building into a drag car when I got laid off. It sat in my garage for a while, then in my ex mother-in-laws garage while me ex and I spent a year in New Jersey. When we got back, I towed it to the house we bought and it sat under a tarp for a while. I ended up loading it up on a trailer and selling it for $800. I tore the engine down to the short block, pulled the transmission, gutted the interior, and was planning to build it back up. When I got it out of the MIL garage, that was the first time I had seen it since my friends packet it up and towed it over there (I took a job that required me to leave in 2 days, my ex and my friends packed our house). All of the parts were just thrown inside the car, and it would have been a nightmare to try to put it back together. I sold it in either 08 or 09.

A month ago, while I was bored offshore working, I was browsing the classifieds on facebook and saw it for sale. The guy I sold it to replaced the interior, rebuilt the engine, and sold it to someone on the other side of houston. It still had the stickers I put on the windows and the 302 badge I put just above the 5.0 badge on the front quarter panel. I wanted to buy it back so bad, but now just isnt a good time to spend money for me. Unfortunately, it's no longer listed. I had that car for almost 10 years. I'm in a much better position financially now and could fix it right, but I reckon it wasnt meant to be.
  • mizuno playermizuno player Mizuno player Members Posts: 1,300 ✭✭
    '67 mustang coupe. Stuffed a 351 Windsor in it. It was a sleeper. Most every thought it's was a 289...

'71 Chevelle. I built a small block 400. 11-1 big solid lift cam worked up 202 heads. Thing had a tone of torque. Then I had to grow up and a car more suit for driving to work.
  • uhs82uhs82 Posts: 239 ✭✭
    Owned several through the years but my two favorites were:

1967 Fastback Mustang - swapped the 289 out for a 302 with a nice solid lift cam, 4 speed, 3.73 rear end.

Early 70’s Plymouth 340 Duster, factory 4 speed, 6 pack intake (not sure if that was stock or not).

Was always a Ford man but those Mopars had the best and deepest sounding motors of anybody.
    PING G400, 10.5°
    PING G25 3 Wood
    PING i25 Hybrid, 22°
    PING i E1, 4-U
    PING Glide, 54°/58°
    Odyssey Protype #7
  • prsgtrmanprsgtrman prsgtrman Members Posts: 1,544
    i dont know if it qualifies as a "muscle" car. im currently building up my 67 c10. shortened it from a long bed to a shortbed last winter. picked up a 400 sbc which is currently at the machine shop being bored 30 over. converting it to a roller cam @540 lift. with world products cylinder heads that have been worked. and a stage 2 700r4 tranny.

i also picked up throttle body FI injection but im gonna run it with a carb before converting it.
  • prsgtrmanprsgtrman prsgtrman Members Posts: 1,544
    couple of pics of the truck and pic of my old 30 model a.

• bscinstnctbscinstnct Members Posts: 26,091 ✭✭

Thats funny, dsd. One of my first cars was a 72 cutlas, blue, not a convertable, pretty beat up.

But it had a 350, 4bbl and could move. Move forward, that is, handling package was nil ; )

Loved that car.
    bscinstnct wrote:

Thats funny, dsd. One of my first cars was a 72 cutlas, blue, not a convertable, pretty beat up.

But it had a 350, 4bbl and could move. Move forward, that is, handling package was nil ; )

Loved that car.

Awesome B!

My wife’s dad was pretty heavy into Chevy cars, he had a really good body man and mechanic at his lot. All those old cars were immaculate and ran really well. What was nice about that car was it was very drivable on a day to day basis. It was still comfortable and easy to drive. I haven’t even taken our corvette out of the shop for two years. Hard to get in and out of, golf clubs barely fit��, and I hate to leave it parked anywhere.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
    BIG STU wrote:

Lets see back in the day

66 Chevelle Super Sport 396

66 Ford Fairlane GTA 390

69 Corvette 427

69 Dodge Super Bee 440 Six Pack

69 Camaro Z-28

70 Camaro Z-28

55 Chevy 210 Bel Air 427 Built this car myself from the ground up

69 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ 455 4 speed--- I built this car from a stock SJ and a wrecked GTO Judge

69 Corvette 396 I built this one too and this was the one that was stolen

The last muscle car I owned was back in 87 and it was tame compared to the others not really muscle 78 Corvette 350 automatic

Since 87 it has been ratty pick up trucks mostly-- I was basically rat rodding before it was cool--- All of my muscle cars except the 55 Chevy and the 69 SJ were rat rods. For some reason I mostly ended up with 1969 model cars

That's a really nice list and what you did to some of them. Can you imagine the value if you still owned them?

I found a picture of ours, didn’t think I had one.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • Kyle MKyle M Members Posts: 273 ✭✭
    Had a 2010 challenger SRT8 - really should have not got rid of it. I had a custom exhaust on it that was absolutely pure ****. That car was fun to drive. Have also owned a 2000 Viper years ago - that car was a lot of fun, but also scary. Just so much power and lightweight. My next toy will be a charger hellcat.
  • PixlPutterman PixlPutterman Look At My Lefty J33R(hey I can wish) Members Posts: 8,211 ✭✭
    Ill just "park" this right here....

SLDR 460 8.5° - Rogue 60x
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125
    Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120
    Wilson Staff FG62 - S300
    Cobra Tour Trusty 52°/56°/62- S300
    SC X7M - P2 Aware
    RZN Platinum
    Here’s mine.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*