Golf Digest 2019-2020 public rankings.

124

Comments

  • LICCLICC Members Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

    And I wouldn’t put Torrey Pines on that list either.

  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @LICC said:
    There are very, very few courses that have such a history or tournament game that it would add to my experience of playing the course itself. Probably less than 5 courses in the world. Erin Hills isn’t one of them.

    And the vast majority of tour courses are mediocre at best from a design perspective. They are likely decently challenging but logistics is a far bigger factor in deciding where the tour plays than quality. As it should be BTW.

  • LICCLICC Members Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Agreed. Torrey Pines is a great venue to hold an event, even if the course isn’t among the greatest.

  • razor_1razor_1 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

    @Sixcat said:

    @bu11dog said:
    Because I'm in NC, I always tend to look at those courses first.

    Interesting that Tobacco Road (52) was ranked ahead of Pinehurst #8 (64), Pine Needles (79), and Mid Pines (91). Personally, I prefer all 3 of those courses over Tobacco Road.

    In my opinion, there isn't 90 courses in the US better than Mid Pines let alone, 90 public courses that anyone can play. I agree wholeheartedly, Tobacco Road isn't on the same level as #8, Pine Needles and Mid Pines.

    I second this post. Mid Pines is in my top 5 overall and I've played all over the world to include St Andrews-Old, Oakmont, Congressional, Pebble, etc.
    Golden Horseshoe-Gold has been renovated. It's the best course right now in the Williamsburg, VA area.

    Cobra F6+ 12 deg, Cobra F6+1 Hybrid, Cobra F6 3,4,5 hybrid, Mizuno 850 6-PW, Cleveland Classic GW 46, Wilson Staff FG copper SW 52, Vokey SW 56, Odyssey Versa, Callaway Chrome Soft.

  • razor_1razor_1 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

    @vallygolf said:

    @Sixcat said:

    @bu11dog said:
    Because I'm in NC, I always tend to look at those courses first.

    Interesting that Tobacco Road (52) was ranked ahead of Pinehurst #8 (64), Pine Needles (79), and Mid Pines (91). Personally, I prefer all 3 of those courses over Tobacco Road.

    In my opinion, there isn't 90 courses in the US better than Mid Pines let alone, 90 public courses that anyone can play. I agree wholeheartedly, Tobacco Road isn't on the same level as #8, Pine Needles and Mid Pines.

    Mid pines is a fine Donald Ross course, and I would never tell you it aint so, but for another perspective on how it could end up at 90 is the fact that on one of my rounds there I had gap wedge or less into 7 of the par 4's. Dictating so many layups on short par 4's is less interesting (even though the greens are penal) than if there is a bit more variety. Also three par threes within 10 yards of each other and longish at that with the addition of a classic super long Ross par 3 hurt variety as well. If it wasnt a name brand architect it probably would struggle to be top 100 in my opinion. I also think that after a round a #2, Dormie, Mid Pines, Pine Needles, #4 and #8 it can become a pine tree lined blah. All spectacular courses, but no doubt this hurts Mid Pines. Tobacco Road on the other hand is like the annoying nephew crying for attention. Because it stands out so much perhaps it is a bit more remembered....(didnt want to use memorable).

    That's your game at the time and the course conditions. I've played Mid Pines when I never had less then a 9 iron into any of the par 4's and used 4 different clubs to the par 3's. I'm pretty close to being a scratch player. I'd much rather play a course like Mid Pines than a course like Congressional where you have 200+ to almost every par 4 and 215+ to every par 3.

    Cobra F6+ 12 deg, Cobra F6+1 Hybrid, Cobra F6 3,4,5 hybrid, Mizuno 850 6-PW, Cleveland Classic GW 46, Wilson Staff FG copper SW 52, Vokey SW 56, Odyssey Versa, Callaway Chrome Soft.

  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @razor_1 said:
    That's your game at the time and the course conditions. I've played Mid Pines when I never had less then a 9 iron into any of the par 4's and used 4 different clubs to the par 3's. I'm pretty close to being a scratch player. I'd much rather play a course like Mid Pines than a course like Congressional where you have 200+ to almost every par 4 and 215+ to every par 3.

    Good point. Sometimes we lose track of the fact that most of us play these courses to have fun. Not to evaluate their architectural achievements. So whatever makes the course more fun contributes to its personal ranking.

  • FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Roadking2003 said:

    @LICC said:
    I don't question that Erin Hills is a great course and deserving to be on the list. But yes top-10 is meaningful compared to farther along. Golfweek has it as the 5th best course in Wisconsin and 99th of modern courses (all courses, not just public). In my view having a US Open is a factor in overrating it. Torrey Pines is by no means a great course but it gets in these lists because it holds the US Open.

    Why don't you think the course history should matter? I love playing courses that I've seen on TV and especially the majors. Without considering the course history a lot of venues (St Andrews is a good example) would move way down on my list.

    Because of the simple fact that a course holding a event or being on TV does absolutely nothing to make it a better course.

    I can see how that would make it rank higher on RKs list of his favorite golf experiences for the day he was there but it should absolutely not effect a ranking of the best courses. Sad truth is the Tour does not always play on the best courses for a variety of reasons including location, logistics etc.

    FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • nathanrbellnathanrbell Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    I always look forward to the GD Top 100 List to come out. I have played 20 on the current list. I enjoy courses that are fun, challenging, and give golfers a unique experience. This is how I would rank the 20 courses I have played:

    1: Bandon Dunes, OR (#7)
    2: Pacific Dunes, OR (#2)
    3: Arcadia Bluffs, MI (#13)
    4: WS – Straits, WI (#3)
    5: Bandon Trails, OR (#14)
    6: Streamsong Red, FL (#19)
    7: Old Macdonald, OR (#12)
    8: WS – Irish, WI (#43)
    9: BR – River, WI (#15)
    10: Streamsong Blue, FL (#24)
    11: Quintero, AZ (#84)
    12: Tullymore, MI (#61)
    13: Sand Valley, WI (#18)
    14: Streamsong Black, FL (#32)
    15: Wild Horse, NE (#68)
    16: BR – Meadow Valleys, WI (#57)
    17: Lawsonia – Links, WI (#58)
    18: Cog Hill #4, IL (#51)
    19: French Lick Resort – Ross, IN (#99)
    20: World Woods – Pine Barrens, FL (#82)

  • LICCLICC Members Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @FairwayFred said:

    @Roadking2003 said:

    @LICC said:
    I don't question that Erin Hills is a great course and deserving to be on the list. But yes top-10 is meaningful compared to farther along. Golfweek has it as the 5th best course in Wisconsin and 99th of modern courses (all courses, not just public). In my view having a US Open is a factor in overrating it. Torrey Pines is by no means a great course but it gets in these lists because it holds the US Open.

    Why don't you think the course history should matter? I love playing courses that I've seen on TV and especially the majors. Without considering the course history a lot of venues (St Andrews is a good example) would move way down on my list.

    Because of the simple fact that a course holding a event or being on TV does absolutely nothing to make it a better course.

    I can see how that would make it rank higher on RKs list of his favorite golf experiences for the day he was there but it should absolutely not effect a ranking of the best courses. Sad truth is the Tour does not always play on the best courses for a variety of reasons including location, logistics etc.

    My general view is the same as Fairway Fred, but I will give credit to a very few (maybe 5?) courses in the world in which a combination of their history and public exposure would significantly add to my experience of playing and ranking the course. St. Andrews Old is one. Sawgrass. Augusta. Off the top of my head I'm not sure which others, if any. Pinehurst maybe? With Pebble it is a plus but by no means does its history and TV exposure count as nearly as close to the experience as the other aspects of the golf course.

  • zoned_post_meridiemzoned_post_meridiem Members Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

    @10&8 said:

    @TUGolfer06 said:
    Played a few and will likely knock a couple more off this year(Tobacco Road, Bethpage Black).
    (13) Arcadia Bluffs; played May 5th 2016, absolutely loved the course/experience!
    (73) The Virtues Club; played July 2018. I was not overly impressed. The layout was nice but nothing truly memorable imo. The conditions were solid but certainly not what I would expect for a Top 100 course. With that said, I kind of want to play it again.
    (74) Bulle Rock; played back in 2010. I thought it was excellent. I favored the back 9 a little more iirc. I'd like another crack at it.
    I think Taconic and Bedford Springs are worth consideration. Likewise the Links of North Dakota.

    @TUGolfer06 said:
    Played a few and will likely knock a couple more off this year(Tobacco Road, Bethpage Black).
    (13) Arcadia Bluffs; played May 5th 2016, absolutely loved the course/experience!
    (73) The Virtues Club; played July 2018. I was not overly impressed. The layout was nice but nothing truly memorable imo. The conditions were solid but certainly not what I would expect for a Top 100 course. With that said, I kind of want to play it again.
    (74) Bulle Rock; played back in 2010. I thought it was excellent. I favored the back 9 a little more iirc. I'd like another crack at it.
    I think Taconic and Bedford Springs are worth consideration. Likewise the Links of North Dakota.

    I’m glad you mentioned the Links of North Dakota. It was always in the top 100 for many years after it opened in ‘95. Unfortunately I don’t think the raters get out there anymore. I’m obviously biased since it’s my home course, but it’s always an absolute joy to play and I’ve never grown tired of playing it. I’ve played many great courses over the years, and it’s still in my top 5.

    I'm on the easternmost edge of the State, and have yet to make it to the Links of North Dakota. Worth the 300+ mile drive?

  • aiyyeraiyyer Members Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @nathanrbell said:
    I always look forward to the GD Top 100 List to come out. I have played 20 on the current list. I enjoy courses that are fun, challenging, and give golfers a unique experience. This is how I would rank the 20 courses I have played:

    1: Bandon Dunes, OR (#7)
    2: Pacific Dunes, OR (#2)
    3: Arcadia Bluffs, MI (#13)
    4: WS – Straits, WI (#3)
    5: Bandon Trails, OR (#14)
    6: Streamsong Red, FL (#19)
    7: Old Macdonald, OR (#12)
    8: WS – Irish, WI (#43)
    9: BR – River, WI (#15)
    10: Streamsong Blue, FL (#24)
    11: Quintero, AZ (#84)
    12: Tullymore, MI (#61)
    13: Sand Valley, WI (#18)
    14: Streamsong Black, FL (#32)
    15: Wild Horse, NE (#68)
    16: BR – Meadow Valleys, WI (#57)
    17: Lawsonia – Links, WI (#58)
    18: Cog Hill #4, IL (#51)
    19: French Lick Resort – Ross, IN (#99)
    20: World Woods – Pine Barrens, FL (#82)

    Impressive list!
    I would rank the Blackwolf Run Irish Course way above the Irish Course At Kohler.

  • 10&810&8 Members Posts: 73 ✭✭

    You definitely need to get out here & play it. The course is in phenomenal shape this year. We’re hosting the state stroke play in a couple weeks, so I’d recommend playing just after that if you can. The greens should be rolling true & fast. > @zoned_post_meridiem said:

    @10&8 said:

    @TUGolfer06 said:
    Played a few and will likely knock a couple more off this year(Tobacco Road, Bethpage Black).
    (13) Arcadia Bluffs; played May 5th 2016, absolutely loved the course/experience!
    (73) The Virtues Club; played July 2018. I was not overly impressed. The layout was nice but nothing truly memorable imo. The conditions were solid but certainly not what I would expect for a Top 100 course. With that said, I kind of want to play it again.
    (74) Bulle Rock; played back in 2010. I thought it was excellent. I favored the back 9 a little more iirc. I'd like another crack at it.
    I think Taconic and Bedford Springs are worth consideration. Likewise the Links of North Dakota.

    @TUGolfer06 said:
    Played a few and will likely knock a couple more off this year(Tobacco Road, Bethpage Black).
    (13) Arcadia Bluffs; played May 5th 2016, absolutely loved the course/experience!
    (73) The Virtues Club; played July 2018. I was not overly impressed. The layout was nice but nothing truly memorable imo. The conditions were solid but certainly not what I would expect for a Top 100 course. With that said, I kind of want to play it again.
    (74) Bulle Rock; played back in 2010. I thought it was excellent. I favored the back 9 a little more iirc. I'd like another crack at it.
    I think Taconic and Bedford Springs are worth consideration. Likewise the Links of North Dakota.

    I’m glad you mentioned the Links of North Dakota. It was always in the top 100 for many years after it opened in ‘95. Unfortunately I don’t think the raters get out there anymore. I’m obviously biased since it’s my home course, but it’s always an absolute joy to play and I’ve never grown tired of playing it. I’ve played many great courses over the years, and it’s still in my top 5.

    I'm on the easternmost edge of the State, and have yet to make it to the Links of North Dakota. Worth the 300+ mile drive?

    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Alidila Rogue Silver 60 X
    Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
    Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
    Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
    Callaway MD Forged 52* & 56*
    Titleist Vokey SM 6 60*
    Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5
  • tbohtboh Need a game ... Im in MarylandMembers Posts: 92 ✭✭✭

    @Dave Saylor said:
    I have played 10 on the list and almost everyone of them I left thinking man I love this place, I could play this 100 times and never get bored, better go buy a lotto ticket. I was interested in what is the average cost? I did some quick internet searches to find out and figured I would share my results. Do not beat me up, I'm sure I'm off on some of these, was harder than I thought for some tracks, but should be an ok ballpark. Tried to find Peak Rates, some are missing required hotels, one rate includes a ferry ride, ect. These are just estimates. Enjoy.

    Estimates
    1 PEBBLE BEACH G. LINKS 595
    2 PACIFIC DUNES 335
    3 WHISTLING STRAITS (STRAITS) 475
    4 THE OCEAN COURSE 193
    5 SHADOW CREEK 500
    6 PINEHURST RESORT (No. 2) 405
    7 BANDON DUNES 335
    8 BETHPAGE STATE PARK (BLACK) 150
    9 ERIN HILLS G. CSE. 350
    10 SPYGLASS HILL G. CSE. 440
    11 TPC SAWGRASS (PLAYERS STADIUM) 550
    12 OLD MACDONALD 335
    13 ARCADIA BLUFFS G.C. 215
    14 BANDON TRAILS 335
    15 BLACKWOLF RUN (RIVER) 330
    16 PASATIEMPO G.C. 307
    17 THE PETE DYE CSE. AT FRENCH LICK RESORT 350
    18 SAND VALLEY 215
    19 STREAMSONG (RED) 275
    20 KARSTEN CREEK G.C. 400
    21 CHAMBERS BAY 275
    22 KAPALUA (PLANTATION) 329
    23 HARBOUR TOWN G. LINKS 350
    24 STREAMSONG (BLUE) 275
    25 THE OMNI HOMESTEAD RESORT (CASCADES) 300
    26 MAUNA KEA G. CSE 295
    27 MAMMOTH DUNES 215
    28 FOREST DUNES G.C. 160
    29 MANELE GOLF COURSE 485
    30 THE HIGHLAND COURSE AT PRIMLAND 200
    31 THE QUARRY AT GIANTS RIDGE 97
    32 STREAMSONG BLACK 275
    33 SEA ISLAND G.C. (SEASIDE) 150
    34 THE GREENBRIER (OLD WHITE TPC) 450
    35 GAMBLE SANDS G.C. 170
    36 TORREY PINES G. CSE. (SOUTH) 202
    37 PRONGHORN CLUB (NICKLAUS) 215
    38 FALLEN OAK 200
    39 THE BROADMOOR G.C. (EAST) 290
    40 MAY RIVER G.C. AT PALMETTO BLUFF 320
    41 THE PRAIRIE CLUB (DUNES) 350
    42 WILDERNESS CLUB 135
    43 WHISTLING STRAITS (IRISH) 250
    44 SENTRYWORLD G. CSE. 155
    45 THE LOOP (BLACK) 160
    46 CORDEVALLE G.C. 420
    47 THE LOOP (RED) 160
    48 THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY 310
    49 PGA WEST (TPC STADIUM) 200
    50 PAA-KO RIDGE G.C. 114
    51 COG HILL G. & C.C. (NO. 4) 155
    52 TOBACCO ROAD G.C. 150
    53 WOLF CREEK G.C. 230
    54 MARQUETTE G.C. (GREYWALLS) 145
    55 CROSSWATER 145
    56 THE DUNES G. & BEACH CLUB 201
    57 BLACKWOLF RUN (MEADOW VALLEYS) 330
    58 THE G. COURSES OF LAWSONIA (LINKS) 99
    59 THE CLASSIC AT MADDEN'S RESORT 160
    60 OLD WAVERLY G.C. 166
    61 TULLYMORE G.C. 160
    62 CASCATA 250
    63 MOSSY OAK 150
    64 PINEHURST RESORT (NO. 8) 250
    65 MAKAI G.C. (MAKAI) 275
    66 NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS RESORT (MYSTIC ROCK) 275
    67 GOLDEN HORSESHOE G.C. (GOLD) 169
    68 WILD HORSE G.C. 78
    69 TROY BURNE G.C. 88
    70 ATUNYOTE G.C. 225
    71 TETHEROW G.C. 190
    72 THE WILDERNESS AT FORTUNE BAY 102
    73 THE VIRTUES G.C. 100
    74 BULLE ROCK 99
    75 TRUMP NATIONAL DORAL MIAMI (BLUE MONSTER) 450
    76 RED SKY RANCH & GC (FAZIO) 250
    77 CALEDONIA G. & FISH CLUB 370
    78 RED SKY G.C. (NORMAN) 250
    79 PINE NEEDLES LODGE & G.C. 235
    80 BAY HARBOR (MICH.) G.C. (LINKS/QUARRY) 200
    81 POPPY HILLS G. CSE. 250
    82 WORLD WOODS G.C. (PINE BARRENS) 178
    83 PELICAN HILL G.C. (OCEAN SOUTH) 310
    84 QUINTERO G.C. 275
    85 OMNI BARTON CREEK RESORT & SPA (FAZIO CANYONS) 200
    86 HUALALAI G. CSE. 295
    87 PUMPKIN RIDGE G.C. (GHOST CREEK) 125
    88 THE PRAIRIE CLUB (PINES) 200
    89 BELVEDERE G.C. 99
    90 TPC SAN ANTONIO (AT&T OAKS) 299
    91 MID PINES INN & G.C. 215
    92 BOYNE HIGHLANDS (HEATHER) 202
    93 TORREY PINES G. CSE. (NORTH) 200
    94 GREAT WATERS AT REYNOLDS LAKE OCONEE 195
    95 GRAND TRAVERSE RESORT & SPA (THE BEAR) 150
    96 PELICAN HILL GC (OCEAN NORTH) 310
    97 POIPU BAY G. CSE. 250
    98 KALUHYAT G.C. 150
    99 THE DONALD ROSS CSE. AT FRENCH LICK RESORT 120
    100 INNISBROOK GOLF RESORT (COPPERHEAD) 115
    Average 246.82
    Average Top 10 377.8
    Average Top 50 291.94
    Average Top 51-100 201.7

    Holy **** ... this is eye opening

    G400 10.5*
    200 Steel 15*
    Rescue #2 16*
    919 Hm 4-5
    919 F 6-P
    T7 Blue 50* 54*
    Er2 Sqback
    Ogio
    Mtb Black
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Dave Saylor said:
    I have played 10 on the list and almost everyone of them I left thinking man I love this place, I could play this 100 times and never get bored, better go buy a lotto ticket. I was interested in what is the average cost? I did some quick internet searches to find out and figured I would share my results. Do not beat me up, I'm sure I'm off on some of these, was harder than I thought for some tracks, but should be an ok ballpark. Tried to find Peak Rates, some are missing required hotels, one rate includes a ferry ride, ect. These are just estimates. Enjoy.

    Estimates
    1 PEBBLE BEACH G. LINKS 595
    2 PACIFIC DUNES 335
    3 WHISTLING STRAITS (STRAITS) 475
    4 THE OCEAN COURSE 193
    5 SHADOW CREEK 500
    6 PINEHURST RESORT (No. 2) 405
    7 BANDON DUNES 335
    8 BETHPAGE STATE PARK (BLACK) 150
    9 ERIN HILLS G. CSE. 350
    10 SPYGLASS HILL G. CSE. 440
    11 TPC SAWGRASS (PLAYERS STADIUM) 550
    12 OLD MACDONALD 335
    13 ARCADIA BLUFFS G.C. 215
    14 BANDON TRAILS 335
    15 BLACKWOLF RUN (RIVER) 330
    16 PASATIEMPO G.C. 307
    17 THE PETE DYE CSE. AT FRENCH LICK RESORT 350
    18 SAND VALLEY 215
    19 STREAMSONG (RED) 275
    20 KARSTEN CREEK G.C. 400
    21 CHAMBERS BAY 275
    22 KAPALUA (PLANTATION) 329
    23 HARBOUR TOWN G. LINKS 350
    24 STREAMSONG (BLUE) 275
    25 THE OMNI HOMESTEAD RESORT (CASCADES) 300
    26 MAUNA KEA G. CSE 295
    27 MAMMOTH DUNES 215
    28 FOREST DUNES G.C. 160
    29 MANELE GOLF COURSE 485
    30 THE HIGHLAND COURSE AT PRIMLAND 200
    31 THE QUARRY AT GIANTS RIDGE 97
    32 STREAMSONG BLACK 275
    33 SEA ISLAND G.C. (SEASIDE) 150
    34 THE GREENBRIER (OLD WHITE TPC) 450
    35 GAMBLE SANDS G.C. 170
    36 TORREY PINES G. CSE. (SOUTH) 202
    37 PRONGHORN CLUB (NICKLAUS) 215
    38 FALLEN OAK 200
    39 THE BROADMOOR G.C. (EAST) 290
    40 MAY RIVER G.C. AT PALMETTO BLUFF 320
    41 THE PRAIRIE CLUB (DUNES) 350
    42 WILDERNESS CLUB 135
    43 WHISTLING STRAITS (IRISH) 250
    44 SENTRYWORLD G. CSE. 155
    45 THE LOOP (BLACK) 160
    46 CORDEVALLE G.C. 420
    47 THE LOOP (RED) 160
    48 THE LINKS AT SPANISH BAY 310
    49 PGA WEST (TPC STADIUM) 200
    50 PAA-KO RIDGE G.C. 114
    51 COG HILL G. & C.C. (NO. 4) 155
    52 TOBACCO ROAD G.C. 150
    53 WOLF CREEK G.C. 230
    54 MARQUETTE G.C. (GREYWALLS) 145
    55 CROSSWATER 145
    56 THE DUNES G. & BEACH CLUB 201
    57 BLACKWOLF RUN (MEADOW VALLEYS) 330
    58 THE G. COURSES OF LAWSONIA (LINKS) 99
    59 THE CLASSIC AT MADDEN'S RESORT 160
    60 OLD WAVERLY G.C. 166
    61 TULLYMORE G.C. 160
    62 CASCATA 250
    63 MOSSY OAK 150
    64 PINEHURST RESORT (NO. 8) 250
    65 MAKAI G.C. (MAKAI) 275
    66 NEMACOLIN WOODLANDS RESORT (MYSTIC ROCK) 275
    67 GOLDEN HORSESHOE G.C. (GOLD) 169
    68 WILD HORSE G.C. 78
    69 TROY BURNE G.C. 88
    70 ATUNYOTE G.C. 225
    71 TETHEROW G.C. 190
    72 THE WILDERNESS AT FORTUNE BAY 102
    73 THE VIRTUES G.C. 100
    74 BULLE ROCK 99
    75 TRUMP NATIONAL DORAL MIAMI (BLUE MONSTER) 450
    76 RED SKY RANCH & GC (FAZIO) 250
    77 CALEDONIA G. & FISH CLUB 370
    78 RED SKY G.C. (NORMAN) 250
    79 PINE NEEDLES LODGE & G.C. 235
    80 BAY HARBOR (MICH.) G.C. (LINKS/QUARRY) 200
    81 POPPY HILLS G. CSE. 250
    82 WORLD WOODS G.C. (PINE BARRENS) 178
    83 PELICAN HILL G.C. (OCEAN SOUTH) 310
    84 QUINTERO G.C. 275
    85 OMNI BARTON CREEK RESORT & SPA (FAZIO CANYONS) 200
    86 HUALALAI G. CSE. 295
    87 PUMPKIN RIDGE G.C. (GHOST CREEK) 125
    88 THE PRAIRIE CLUB (PINES) 200
    89 BELVEDERE G.C. 99
    90 TPC SAN ANTONIO (AT&T OAKS) 299
    91 MID PINES INN & G.C. 215
    92 BOYNE HIGHLANDS (HEATHER) 202
    93 TORREY PINES G. CSE. (NORTH) 200
    94 GREAT WATERS AT REYNOLDS LAKE OCONEE 195
    95 GRAND TRAVERSE RESORT & SPA (THE BEAR) 150
    96 PELICAN HILL GC (OCEAN NORTH) 310
    97 POIPU BAY G. CSE. 250
    98 KALUHYAT G.C. 150
    99 THE DONALD ROSS CSE. AT FRENCH LICK RESORT 120
    100 INNISBROOK GOLF RESORT (COPPERHEAD) 115
    Average 246.82
    Average Top 10 377.8
    Average Top 50 291.94
    Average Top 51-100 201.7

    Nice work/effort. I know No.42 is not that fee unless I missing something. If you projected two round (replay rate) than yes. I play it quite often.

  • nocarts83nocarts83 Member Members Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

    @10&8 said:
    You definitely need to get out here & play it. The course is in phenomenal shape this year. We’re hosting the state stroke play in a couple weeks, so I’d recommend playing just after that if you can. The greens should be rolling true & fast. > @zoned_post_meridiem said:

    @10&8 said:

    @TUGolfer06 said:
    Played a few and will likely knock a couple more off this year(Tobacco Road, Bethpage Black).
    (13) Arcadia Bluffs; played May 5th 2016, absolutely loved the course/experience!
    (73) The Virtues Club; played July 2018. I was not overly impressed. The layout was nice but nothing truly memorable imo. The conditions were solid but certainly not what I would expect for a Top 100 course. With that said, I kind of want to play it again.
    (74) Bulle Rock; played back in 2010. I thought it was excellent. I favored the back 9 a little more iirc. I'd like another crack at it.
    I think Taconic and Bedford Springs are worth consideration. Likewise the Links of North Dakota.

    @TUGolfer06 said:
    Played a few and will likely knock a couple more off this year(Tobacco Road, Bethpage Black).
    (13) Arcadia Bluffs; played May 5th 2016, absolutely loved the course/experience!
    (73) The Virtues Club; played July 2018. I was not overly impressed. The layout was nice but nothing truly memorable imo. The conditions were solid but certainly not what I would expect for a Top 100 course. With that said, I kind of want to play it again.
    (74) Bulle Rock; played back in 2010. I thought it was excellent. I favored the back 9 a little more iirc. I'd like another crack at it.
    I think Taconic and Bedford Springs are worth consideration. Likewise the Links of North Dakota.

    I’m glad you mentioned the Links of North Dakota. It was always in the top 100 for many years after it opened in ‘95. Unfortunately I don’t think the raters get out there anymore. I’m obviously biased since it’s my home course, but it’s always an absolute joy to play and I’ve never grown tired of playing it. I’ve played many great courses over the years, and it’s still in my top 5.

    I'm on the easternmost edge of the State, and have yet to make it to the Links of North Dakota. Worth the 300+ mile drive?

    I agree it's worth the trek. Tee to green, I'm a huge fan. If I had to nitpick, I wish it played more "linksy". The greens are on the small side (a la Pebble Beach I guess). Additionally, (and maybe this was only true when I was there, but I kind of guess not) the green surrounds aren't firm enough for a lot of ground game. The greens ran slower than I'm used to (a good thing in my book, but probably detracts among the rating crowd), which does match the fairway speed a little better. The forced carries on a couple of the par 3's didn't fit with the playability of the rest of the course, though they were probably needed to connect the routing.

    Should my "complaints" be addressed, though? Probably not. I grew up in ND and am well aware of the soil composition there. It's great for growing wheat, but can get a little spongy when it's wet. I'm guessing that changing it would be an enormous expense, both to truck in the sand and to maintain. If the goal is to shoot up rankings lists, that's probably the way to go. If the goal is to be a really good, fun course for locals and those willing to travel there, it's an absolute success and I applaud that.

  • SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

    I would go with the Golfweek rankings. They are far superior to GD IMO.

  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @SCalGolfer said:
    I would go with the Golfweek rankings. They are far superior to GD IMO.

    Golfweek has it's own issues. For example, Michigan best courses you can play according to Golfweek - Arcadia, Greywalls, Forest Dunes in that order.. Best modern golf courses you can play according to Golfweek - Arcadia (44), Forest Dunes (69), Greywalls (84) in that order. Their own lists contradict themselves.

  • SCalGolferSCalGolfer Members Posts: 127 ✭✭✭

    @mci711 said:

    @SCalGolfer said:
    I would go with the Golfweek rankings. They are far superior to GD IMO.

    Golfweek has it's own issues. For example, Michigan best courses you can play according to Golfweek - Arcadia, Greywalls, Forest Dunes in that order.. Best modern golf courses you can play according to Golfweek - Arcadia (44), Forest Dunes (69), Greywalls (84) in that order. Their own lists contradict themselves.

    Interesting oversight by them. That being said my tastes are better aligned with their rankings. YMMV

  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @SCalGolfer said:

    @mci711 said:

    @SCalGolfer said:
    I would go with the Golfweek rankings. They are far superior to GD IMO.

    Golfweek has it's own issues. For example, Michigan best courses you can play according to Golfweek - Arcadia, Greywalls, Forest Dunes in that order.. Best modern golf courses you can play according to Golfweek - Arcadia (44), Forest Dunes (69), Greywalls (84) in that order. Their own lists contradict themselves.

    Interesting oversight by them. That being said my tastes are better aligned with their rankings. YMMV

    Of course, these lists are completely subjective, everyone likes different things. I like to look at a few different places and see overlap. I've played a lot of good courses not on any list. I think they are fun to look at though and they are a good starting place for planning.

  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

    @bu11dog said:
    Because I'm in NC, I always tend to look at those courses first.

    Interesting that Tobacco Road (52) was ranked ahead of Pinehurst #8 (64), Pine Needles (79), and Mid Pines (91). Personally, I prefer all 3 of those courses over Tobacco Road.

    I've played 3 of the 4. I'd put TR substantially ahead of Mid Pines and a bit, but not far, behind Pine Needles. I've not played Pinehurst #8, but one of the best comments that I heard about it was from a guy in the business down in Pinehurst who said "if they told me I could play #8 for free, I'd tell them not to worry...it's not worth the price."

  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

    The issue with rates is that people always use peak rate. In many of those cases, there are no other rates, but in many, there are huge breaks for off-season times. Streamsong is $125 for people who aren't resort guests right now. TPC Sawgrass, when I played, was $275 during February. Bandon has very reasonable rates in winter. If you're a Duke's Club member, Spyglass drops to as low as $100 and Spanish Bay to $75...the $360 membership would pay for itself in 2 rounds. The list goes on, but if you're willing to do a bit of research, a lot of these courses get a lot cheaper than the advertised rates.

  • duckboat24duckboat24 Members Posts: 6 ✭✭

    @Johnny Biarritz said:
    The issue with rates is that people always use peak rate. In many of those cases, there are no other rates, but in many, there are huge breaks for off-season times. Streamsong is $125 for people who aren't resort guests right now. TPC Sawgrass, when I played, was $275 during February. Bandon has very reasonable rates in winter. If you're a Duke's Club member, Spyglass drops to as low as $100 and Spanish Bay to $75...the $360 membership would pay for itself in 2 rounds. The list goes on, but if you're willing to do a bit of research, a lot of these courses get a lot cheaper than the advertised rates.

    I agree. Played World Woods - Pine Barrens for $45 in June. Hate to see it keep dropping on the list but I’m sure it has to do with course conditions and the facilities. Probably my favorite course I’ve played. Played Streamsong the same trip and enjoyed WW more. Just a fun track.

  • zer0zer0 Members Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Lawsonia at $95 might be the best bargain on this list.

    And it should be higher than #58. A lot higher.

  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @zer0 said:
    Lawsonia at $95 might be the best bargain on this list.

    And it should be higher than #58. A lot higher.

    I'd say Bethpage is the best deal.

  • zer0zer0 Members Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @mci711 said:

    @zer0 said:
    Lawsonia at $95 might be the best bargain on this list.

    And it should be higher than #58. A lot higher.

    I'd say Bethpage is the best deal.

    I never played it, but $150 doesn't sound like some amazing bargain. Lots of other courses on that list at similar or lower price. On the other hand, paying $95 for a top 60 ranked course is pretty spectacular...and you don't have to sleep in your car in the parking lot overnight to get it!

  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 6:50pm #117

    @zer0 said:

    @mci711 said:

    @zer0 said:
    Lawsonia at $95 might be the best bargain on this list.

    And it should be higher than #58. A lot higher.

    I'd say Bethpage is the best deal.

    I never played it, but $150 doesn't sound like some amazing bargain. Lots of other courses on that list at similar or lower price. On the other hand, paying $95 for a top 60 ranked course is pretty spectacular...and you don't have to sleep in your car in the parking lot overnight to get it!

    I booked online and slept in Manhattan. Average price of the other 9 courses in the top 10 is about 350 peak rate. And there is literally no comparison of quality between Bethpage and Lawsonia, it is a much bigger gap than $60. BP is only $25 more than Seven Bridges peak or Cantigny 😂

    Post edited by mci711 on
  • Johnny BiarritzJohnny Biarritz Members Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭

    Bethpage can be played for as little as $78 for out of state. Twilight times are easy to get if you do a bit of work. Regular times during the week are $130. It's a great deal.

  • eboettneeboettne Members Posts: 204 ✭✭✭

    @zer0 said:

    @mci711 said:

    @zer0 said:
    Lawsonia at $95 might be the best bargain on this list.

    And it should be higher than #58. A lot higher.

    I'd say Bethpage is the best deal.

    I never played it, but $150 doesn't sound like some amazing bargain. Lots of other courses on that list at similar or lower price. On the other hand, paying $95 for a top 60 ranked course is pretty spectacular...and you don't have to sleep in your car in the parking lot overnight to get it!

    If you play Bethpage it will feel like an amazing bargain. I paid $130 and felt like I pulled one over on them driving out of the parking lot.

  • LICCLICC Members Posts: 893 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @eboettne said:

    @zer0 said:

    @mci711 said:

    @zer0 said:
    Lawsonia at $95 might be the best bargain on this list.

    And it should be higher than #58. A lot higher.

    I'd say Bethpage is the best deal.

    I never played it, but $150 doesn't sound like some amazing bargain. Lots of other courses on that list at similar or lower price. On the other hand, paying $95 for a top 60 ranked course is pretty spectacular...and you don't have to sleep in your car in the parking lot overnight to get it!

    If you play Bethpage it will feel like an amazing bargain. I paid $130 and felt like I pulled one over on them driving out of the parking lot.

    Bethpage is $65-75 for NYS residents, but even $130 is a great price for such an incredible course.

  • duffer987duffer987 I'm old enough to remember a time when Ignore and Feedback worked. Canadian in CaliforniaMembers Posts: 9,356 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @mci711 said:

    @zer0 said:
    Lawsonia at $95 might be the best bargain on this list.

    And it should be higher than #58. A lot higher.

    I'd say Bethpage is the best deal.

    Bandon courses $100 & $50 replay rate, best deal by a looooong ways :-)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file