Search for new IRONS & fitting conflicts

EBE-GOLFIN ·  
EBE-GOLFINEBE-GOLFIN Members  115WRX Points: 67Handicap: 9Posts: 115 Fairways

Have been playing Titleist AP3's with AMT blk stiff shafts for a year. The shafts particularly in 7, 6 & 5 iron are not giving me enuff spin and heigth. Plus Mizuno optomizer and a few fitters are recommending lighter shafts. I have been pretty set on Mizuno Hot Metal PROs after the AP3's. The Nipon N.S. Pro Modus 3 - 105 Reg or Stiff both give good numbers and distance. Im a 'betweener" for Stiff or Reg in this shaft.

So yes I'm a equipment junkie.. Here's the delima I'm in. My son-in-law and a good friend are fitters and work for golf retail outlets. So after many demos with the Mizzy HM Pro's I was pretty set until I had a bad session with them and just decided to give the super game-emprovement (GE) Ping G410's a go. And here we start. The G410 was obviosly easy to hit solid and forgiving on misses and definatly got my spin and heigth #'s UP. So I said why not just go with the easy GE Pings.. So I ordered them in the Modus 105 stiff soft stepped 1X.

Did this before my scheduled fitting at Club Champions (CC). Dummy!! Didn't tell the fitter. Needless to say the fitter was amazing. Prior fitter for PGA pros and a fitter for 20+ years. So he went through my AP3's with my shaft on trackman and got all numbers & dispersions. Then he went throught different shafts with AP3 6-iron. He recommended staying with the Ap3's heads going with Aerotech SteelFiber I80 shafts. The numbers backed this. Told him I was pretty set on switch to Mizzy HM Pros. So we hit the Mizzy. Numbers on a whole were not as good or more so not consistently good. I was a bit tired at that point. But there were glimpes of how I've hit them in past sessions. He persuaded me to stay with the AP3 head in the Aerotech shafts.

Yesterday we had a Mizuno fitting day here at my Club. Smoked the HM Pros in the Modus 105R and numbers were really GOOD. I really want the HM Pro's.. I know the Club Champ guy will be gracious about putting Aerotech's in the Mizzys.. So I can just order the HM Pro's in the Nippon 105R and sell my AP3's... NOW what to do with the Ping G410s that have shipped.. Do I give the G410's a round or 2 and sell as LIKE NEW or just keep them in the box they came and sell as NEW?? You wouldn't put yourself in this predicament, but...
OK WRX'ers -- group advise, intervension, counseling, theropy and/or medication..

Posted:

Comments

• Jack_HJack_H Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers  30845WRX Points: 7,108Handicap: NONEPosts: 30,845 Titanium Tees

Lol. Well.

You can go whole hog and swap out irons every round. Or even every 9 holes. ( I don’t recommend but have done so ). Or..... take a week of only testing when you knkw you aren’t tired. Good day and bad days ok. But not tired. We do wonky things when fatigued. And decide from that. And immediately sell the other set. Otherwise. You’re in the rabbit hole waist deep already. Lol.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Artisan Raw  53 59 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • morgan1819morgan1819 Official Member Members  1012WRX Points: 133Posts: 1,012 Platinum Tees

Get the HM Pro's that you hit well, and got the best numbers with, and that you "really want". Modus 105R is a great shaft choice. Sell everything else, and roll with JUST those for the summer. Don't be tempted by another set until you've given the HM Pro's a bunch of rounds on the course. Just my 2 cents.

Posted:

Srixon 10.2 degrees. Accra TZ5 80
    Srixon 16.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 90
    Srixon 21.0 degrees. Accra TZ5 97
    Srixon Z 4-PW. TI S400
    Cleveland 52, 58. Raw. TI S400
    Byron Morgan DH89

• RogerinNewZealandRogerinNewZealand Maungakeikei Auckland New ZealandMembers  2787WRX Points: 270Posts: 2,787 Titanium Tees

Best Ho Award!
    Sell the pings new in plastic. Reshaft AP3 and get the Mizzys and update us in 3 weeks.Looks like you have learned a lot re Irons and hi / low spin dilemmas so you have Benefited from this!

Posted:
    April 2020  Home all April

Ping RaptureV2 👌👍😷
    Cally RazrEdge5wd19
    Titleist retro build
    904F 7wd steelshaft..

MP100 from 2006
    5 6 7 8 9  @ D5ish
    Hogan Apex 4 shafts
    (mp33 100yrs anniversary)

Cally MD2 50S12
    Vokey SM 54.10
    Clevo 588RTX2 60 
    ProPlatinumMidSLT

Best wishes to you all if stuck at
    home being Good Isolated Citizens
    New Zealand has all of [email protected]
    Strong Leadership saves lives

and thanks TaylorMade Crew
    for your online Questions Ansers!!
    I'm a huge tm200 vsteel r7Quad+
    r11/r15 hybrid fan

• EBE-GOLFINEBE-GOLFIN Members  115WRX Points: 67Handicap: 9Posts: 115 Fairways

UPDATE--- My fellow Wrx'ers (RogerinNewZeala & Bladehunter) ...... it's only been 2 weeks but, heres the latest..
    I have had the Ping G410's in the MODUS3 105 stiff. soft step 1 time for about a week or less. I just picked up the Mizzy Hot Metal Pros yesterday in same shaft. The Titeist AP3's are on EBAY. I'm all in and waist deep so why not go all out and committed to giving both sets a shot at a journey of EBE-GOLFIN.
    I have had 2 short range sessions and 2 nine hole rounds with the 410s. I've been trying to think of the words to describe what feels like total disbelief after the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th ... great range shots in a row. Longer than I could dream, and height I've never been able to produce. So I'll plagerize Bron from Chicago & JMH1220,
    "AUTO CORRECT" & "Forgiveness to a whole new level"
    The on course shots still beyond expectations but the 9 hole live course rounds a reality check Still way more easier.. I'm at least 10 plus yards longer with way more heigth and tighter dispersion. Still meausuring roll out. The off center strikes are much more forgiving, chip and a putt ( MTF.
    Heres a unreal reality check. Home course #6 par 3, 190 to 210 yds. I never would hit my AP3, 5iron and whenever I did,
    it would just remind me why I don't hit it. So pin was about 195. Having not hit the Ping 5iron on the range, I still said what the heck. Flushed it finising back of green 205. Couldnt find pitch mark so not sure of on the fly yardage. Could have been higher but that might come. Still higher than any possible expectation.
    So the Mizzy HM Pros are here and the battle is on!!! It may not be long?? Question is, I have Match 1 of a 64 player MatchPlay tournement Monday. Question is??? Will I be tooling the Ping G410's or the Mizzy HM Pros.. This may be harder than the choice between the blonde or the redhead. Both with olive skin and after market accessories!!!!
    Any BETS gentlemen?????????
    MIzzy is the RED head
    Ping is Blondie
    The brunett is on EBAY...... FOREEEEE

Posted:
  • Little NedLittle Ned Members  1136WRX Points: 105Posts: 1,136 Platinum Tees

On -, @EBE-GOLFIN said:

UPDATE--- My fellow Wrx'ers (RogerinNewZeala & Bladehunter) ...... it's only been 2 weeks but, heres the latest..
    I have had the Ping G410's in the MODUS3 105 stiff. soft step 1 time for about a week or less. I just picked up the Mizzy Hot Metal Pros yesterday in same shaft. The Titeist AP3's are on EBAY. I'm all in and waist deep so why not go all out and committed to giving both sets a shot at a journey of EBE-GOLFIN.
    I have had 2 short range sessions and 2 nine hole rounds with the 410s. I've been trying to think of the words to describe what feels like total disbelief after the 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th ... great range shots in a row. Longer than I could dream, and height I've never been able to produce. So I'll plagerize Bron from Chicago & JMH1220,
    "AUTO CORRECT" & "Forgiveness to a whole new level"
    The on course shots still beyond expectations but the 9 hole live course rounds a reality check Still way more easier.. I'm at least 10 plus yards longer with way more heigth and tighter dispersion. Still meausuring roll out. The off center strikes are much more forgiving, chip and a putt ( MTF.
    Heres a unreal reality check. Home course #6 par 3, 190 to 210 yds. I never would hit my AP3, 5iron and whenever I did,
    it would just remind me why I don't hit it. So pin was about 195. Having not hit the Ping 5iron on the range, I still said what the heck. Flushed it finising back of green 205. Couldnt find pitch mark so not sure of on the fly yardage. Could have been higher but that might come. Still higher than any possible expectation.
    So the Mizzy HM Pros are here and the battle is on!!! It may not be long?? Question is, I have Match 1 of a 64 player MatchPlay tournement Monday. Question is??? Will I be tooling the Ping G410's or the Mizzy HM Pros.. This may be harder than the choice between the blonde or the redhead. Both with olive skin and after market accessories!!!!
    Any BETS gentlemen?????????
    MIzzy is the RED head
    Ping is Blondie
    The brunett is on EBAY...... FOREEEEE

So what did you go with? Hot Metals? Pings? AP3? I’m dying to find out!

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
  • NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members  19372WRX Points: 1,452Posts: 19,372 Titanium Tees

The best fitting is playing clubs on the course. Numbers sumbers. Is the flight good? Do the clubs give you confidence? Go with your gut and commit.

Posted:
    Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • toctoc Members  2899WRX Points: 614Posts: 2,899 Titanium Tees

Ya gotta love it when someone is so unfamiliar with GI irons that he thinks it’s GE.

Posted:
    Glove: ML
    Tees: 2 3/4
    Towel: white
    Repair tool: metal
    Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
    Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying
  • No_Catchy_NicknameNo_Catchy_Nickname Kyushu,_JapanMembers  6063WRX Points: 1,228Handicap: mePosts: 6,063 Titanium Tees

This here is some quality WRXing.

Posted:
    Driver: Ping G400 Tour 65S
    4w: TaylorMade R9 stock Fujikura Motore X flex
    7w TaylorMade V-steel, Quadra Fire Express RB 6SX
    Hybrid: RomaRo iBrid 23* Attas EZ 85S
    Irons (4i-PW): Mizuno MP4 Attas 115X 4-PW (+0.5")
    Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 Forged 52* and 58*, DGS400 (both at 35.5")
    Putter: Mac Jack Nicklaus Muirfield/Taylormade TPA XVIII/Wilson 8802

Old stuff: Tons of persimmon and older irons. 
  • BB28403BB28403 Members  4276WRX Points: 751Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Posts: 4,276 Titanium Tees

Super GE are the jet engines of golf

Posted:
  • Red4282Red4282 Members  664WRX Points: 267Posts: 664 Golden Tee

Hit ball. Find ball. Repeat... thats golf. Your definitely overthinking it. Bottom line i think is play what you feel best with and what turns out results, even if some flight data contradicts. Pretty data numbers dont ALWAYS translate to lower scores.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.