Bandon Trip - February Itinerary

eboettne

I said before going to Bandon in December of 2018 that it would probably be a once in a lifetime trip. Fifteen months later and I am returning with the same buddy that I went with last time, seems to be a common theme. This time we are flying into North Bend in place of Eugene(not thrilled flying United over Delta but it allows us to shuttle to and from the resort and avoid the 2.5 hr drive each way so I'll take it). Here is our current itinerary, looking for feedback on anything you'd change:Wednesday - Land in North Bend, Aviation Transportation shuttle to the resort(will they stop at a liquor store or is that out of the question?), shipsticks clubs to resort

Play the Preserve if we can get on, current tee time is about an hour after we land so not holding my breath on that oneThursday -

Pacific Dunes AM

Bandon Trails PM

Possibly Preserve here, should have a bout an hour of daylight leftFriday

Bandon Dunes AM

Pacific Dunes PM

PunchbowlSaturday

Old Mac AM

Bandon Dunes PM

Shorty'sSunday

Old Mac AM

Fly out of North Bend

Staying at the Double Room at The Inn so liking our location relative to The Preserve. We didn't play it last time so hoping it would be possible to jump on around dusk to play a couple holes with a wedge and putter if that's acceptable. This was our routine at Sand Valley last May but not sure if that would fly here.

I would nix the Preserve, Get to the Bandon when you get there and go to the driving range instead, Enjoy a nice warmup, get used to the tighter lies, and then go play Shortys for $20/person. It doesn't have the views of the Preserve, but to get a good feel for playing the courses at Bandon, it is a quick and cheap way to play some golf and get used to the conditions.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Donations benefit the Evans Scholarship program. The son of one of my good friends got a Evans Scholarship. I just look at it as a way to support a good cause. There is no "minimum" donation/fee to play Shorty's, it is whatever you are willing to do. Didn't mean to imply a minimum.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

Oops. You are correct and I didn't realize the OP arrived on Weds. Shorty's is only open Thurs to Sun. I guess that won't work for the OP

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

We played it for the first time in Nov. and they didn't have the box out. Maybe in the winter/weather dependent times, they take it in? That said, they also only had a couple beat up scorecards too.

Do you know if they keep a donation box in the coffee shack at the range too?

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Actually never played shorty's without the donation box being there. Don't know what to tell you. If you check in at any of the main pro shops, they can probably tell you where you can donate if the box isn't at the first tee.

Old stuff:

New stuff
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I will be there from Feb 9-11 as a single. This will be my 4th trip, but first since 2016. Always go the second week of Feb. Weather on past trips has been amazing and crossing fingers that we get a good stretch this year as well.

weather on past trips:

2014 - - 54/54/57

2015 - - 54/55/57

2016 - - 72/61/63

8th Flying to PDX late and driving to Eugene.

9th Preserve and BD

10th BD and BT

11th PD and OM

No. LOL. Seriously, they're fine and provide fuel for golf, but I don't ever go there thinking - yeah I get to have such and such. With those level expectations you'll be grand :-)

That said, I am a big fan of Bandon Coffee Cafe in town for bagel and coffee breakfasts and their breakfast cookies for mid-round snack and do look forward to going there.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Both times I've gone to Bandon I've taken this flight. I always recommend shipping your clubs. This plane is small. There is not a lot of room for luggage, and additionally there are no overhead compartments for carry ons, so anything larger than a backpack goes below in the standard cargo area. Additionally a large percentage of the people on this flight are going to Bandon, with full luggage and some with clubs. If you get the wrong combination of people who are flying their clubs with them, have a big suitcase and a fullsize carry on, you can run into the scenario where they don't have room and items get bumped. And if your items get bumped, there's no afternoon plane coming later, it waits until the next day as there's pretty much only 1 flight in and out of this airport daily. You could get lucky and everything works out, but there's a chance you get to Bandon without your clubs. I don't know how often that happens, but it can happen. For me it's too big of a trip to risk it on that, just me though.

Yeah you might want to suspend that for a weekend. :) I'm on that as well right now, there's probably not a lot that's going to work all that well for you. Like everything else I'm sure you can find something that works, you'll just really limit the menu. There are pdfs for each course's snack shop/smaller restaurant online so you can get an idea ahead of time what's available. I always liked Trails' setting and food options, Pacific is good as well and overlooks the Punchbowl. McKee's is my preference. The meatloaf is good if you like that kind of thing. I really enjoyed the pot pie, and the Reuben Fritters are phenomenal. Regarding price, it's a little up there compared to a typical restaurant but in my opinion vs other places I've been the pricing is quite reasonable for what you get.

I'm also taking that flight for the 1st time and not even risking it or giving myself a chance to stress about it. If my clubs didn't make it or were even a day late it would ruin my trip(or part of it). I can't play with rentals and have the same experience, especially at a place like Bandon when knowing how you hit(see: flight) your clubs is crucial.