2020 PGA Merchandise Show Coverage.... Here.

38 length putter shaft

PingPoncho ·  
PingPonchoPingPoncho PingPoncho 1420WRX Points: 100Members Posts: 1,420

When the ban on anchored putting took place, a lot of putters were available with 38 length shafts. That does not seem to be prevalent now. Some are available at 36 or 37 length.

I found the 38 length shaft with counter balanced either with a weight or heavier grip seem to help with my stroke.

Anyone using a 38 length shaft on their putter and what putter are you using it with?

Posted:

Comments

• Hoodman22Hoodman22  50WRX Points: 26Handicap: 9Members Posts: 50

I'm using a 38” counterbalanced putter. Have struggled with putting and have always tended towards mallets.

Nike Method Drone 2- distance control and accuracy have improved markedly since putting it in the bag a few years ago.

Posted:
    Ping G5 13.5 Driver
    Ping G30 5 Wood
    TEE EX-9 22 hybrid
    Callaway 26 hybrid
    Ping i25 6-S
    Cleveland RTX 58
    Nike Drone 2 Counterbalance
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ShallowbutDeadlyShallowbutDeadly  64WRX Points: 39Members Posts: 64

I struggled for years. Two years ago went to a 38" counter-balanced Odyssey Saber tooth TANK and I putting has been pretty good ever since. I have demoed many other putters since and still can't find anything better.

Posted:
  • jg1166jg1166  366WRX Points: 88Members Posts: 366

I went from from a Broomstick to a 40" Scotty Dual Balance and it is still in play but I have noticed recently that there are far less offerings in this length, it appears that the longer counter balance putters have gone out of vogue

Posted:
  • jaworskijaworski penturner  372WRX Points: 58Handicap: 15Members Posts: 372

I have extended all of my putters to 38 inches because that length works very well for me. I generally put an oversize putter grip which helps with counterbalance because of the heavier grip weight.

Posted:
    [font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font]
  • LeoLeo99LeoLeo99  4581WRX Points: 519Members Posts: 4,581

I've been trying out a Ping Kinloch with 38" CB shaft. On the fence with it. It does cause me to make a better stroke but I'm having trouble with distance feel. But then I have trouble with distance control with all putters.

Posted:
  • CapnSwaggaCapnSwagga TaylorMade 4 Life! Nevada 31WRX Points: 23Handicap: sandbaggerMembers Posts: 31

I extended a spider mini with a xl grip and 50g cw . ^ Distance feel was an issue as well but my putting significantly improved.

Posted:
    M4 9.5° Diamana 70g stiff
    SLDR 17° Diamana 80g stiff
    SLDR 19° Fujikara 72g reg
    SLDR 21° Fujikara 82g stiff
    2011 TP MC 4-PW KBS tour stiff
    2011 TP CB AW 51° S300 
    Hi Toe 58° bent to 56° KBS tour wedge
    TM Spider mini 37"
    TM purelite stand bag
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • 6holesn16holesn1  513WRX Points: 62Members Posts: 513

PXG Operator Gen 2. 38 inches. SS XL 2.0

400 gram head weight.

Posted:
    WITB:

TaylorMade M3 440 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red 6 stiff
    TaylorMade M3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7 stiff
    Titleist 818 H1 19* (turned down 1*) Graphite Design Tour AD-DI Hybrid 85 stiff
    TaylorMade 790 4-W Aerotech SteelFiber i95 stiff
    Vokey 50*-54*-58* Aerotech SteelFiber i110 stiff
    Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 34.5 inch Pistolini
  • Sean2Sean2  31527WRX Points: 730Members Posts: 31,527

I have a 38-inch CB putter. Mine is an Odyssey O Works Tank #7, with a SS Mid-Slim 2.0. I will never go back to a 35 inch...I felt way too hunched over.

Posted:

Treat yourself as if you were someone you are responsible for helping. 

Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is, and not as it should be. 

• GhostwedgeGhostwedge  676WRX Points: 86Handicap: 8.0Members Posts: 676

Picked up a Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Dual Balance putter last fall (stock shaft n grip - 38 inch ) Always been a streaky putter but i seem less streaky and make more putts with this compared to my normal length (35 in.) putters. Easier on the back while putting but more weight to lug around while walking.

Posted:
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom***  31901WRX Points: 1,675Members Posts: 31,901

I have 6 Odyssey Tank putters, all different models at 38 length. For whatever reason, I feel comfortable with this style putter and it has helped my putting greatly. Been using them for 5 years now.

Posted:
  • tilasan1tilasan1  16WRX Points: 16Handicap: 8Members Posts: 16

After testing putters at 36 inches (was using 33 to 34 inch putters before), I felt more comfortable standing a little more upright sort of like rickie.  So with me liking the longer putter, I wanted to try using putters that were longer 38 inch to 39 inch and a counter balance grip (I use to use a belly putter before the ban).  What I noticed when I putt with the 39 inch putter the shaft would feel a little loose, but mostly on longer putts.  So I decided to have my putter reshafted with a stability putter shaft in 38 inch length and a counterbalance 15 inch grip.  It is supposed to arrive Sunday, so I will update you on how it feels.  The putter is a ping jas wti anser.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.