Player cavity backs

BrandonG31

One caveat is that I don’t want a ton of offset either. I’m used to looking down at a butter knife iron. Very minimal offset is a must. Thanks for the well wishes.

Titleist CB', either 716 or 718. I went from MP-69's to the 718's and couldn't be happier!

I don’t know if it’s the size of the head or the finish, but the 718 cb’s look to have a lot of offset to me. Am I seeing things or is this true?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One caveat is that I don’t want a ton of offset either. I’m used to looking down at a butter knife iron. Very minimal offset is a must. Thanks for the well wishes.

Titleist CB', either 716 or 718. I went from MP-69's to the 718's and couldn't be happier!

I don’t know if it’s the size of the head or the finish, but the 718 cb’s look to have a lot of offset to me. Am I seeing things or is this true?

Not true. If they had a lot of offset, I wouldn't have them.

Titleist TSi4 9.75 HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 915F 15.5 HZRDUS Smoke
Titleist U500 3 iron
Titleist 718CB 4 thru PW
Titleist Vokey SM7 50-08, 54-08, 58-08

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6

Stenson Legacy Blacks

Yup ^^^ Yup ^^^ Yup ^^^

I have a set of the 63's they feel pretty decent when middled. The Stenson's offer decent forgiveness with stellar feel. I am always on the lookout for more so iv'e got some MP 53's on delivery. Iron sets come and go but the Stenson's seem to stick around. Good luck in your search.

Stenson Legacy Blacks

Yup ^^^ Yup ^^^ Yup ^^^

I have a set of the 63's they feel pretty decent when middled. The Stenson's offer decent forgiveness with stellar feel. I am always on the lookout for more so iv'e got some MP 53's on delivery. Iron sets come and go but the Stenson's seem to stick around. Good luck in your search.

Please stop mentioning Legacy Blacks! Everytime I think I am over them you bring me back.

Stenson Legacy Blacks

Yup ^^^ Yup ^^^ Yup ^^^

Please stop mentioning Legacy Blacks! Everytime I think I am over them you bring me back.

Lol. The Golfingfanatic started it. :) The SLB's are a classic set of irons. I think every WRX'er should have a set. You bought and sold your set pretty quickly, if I recall right.??? Time for another set.

I can still remember reading this article about the Legacy Blacks, I waited very patiently to finally find a set in my price range numerous years later. These will never be sold.

Here is that review from WRX Editor Golfware, from 2013.

PRODUCT TESTED: CALLAWAY LEGACY BLACK IRONS (comparison pics with the X Hot Pros, the XHP have the satin C Taper shaft, the Legacy Blacks did not at the time)

CLUB SPECIFICATIONS: 4-PW, std lofts, 1* upright, +1/2” in length, KBS Tour C-Taper stiff shafts. NDMC Black/White grips.

post-439-0-08714100-1380153194.jpg

PROS:

These are the “Holy Grail” of Callaway cavity back irons. Period. For me, they are the “Holy Grail” of irons period, but that’s just my opinion. They are the ultimate in soft feel, forgiveness with a slight touch of offset, more traditional lofts and plenty of shot making capability. SOFT, SOFT, SOFT when struck well, and mis-hits give plenty of feedback but don’t hurt ones hands.

CONS:

I’m going to be honest, I can’t of a negative thing to say. They are NOT a distance iron, but more of a finely tuned piece of equipment.

BOTTOM LINE:

Unlike the X Hot Pros which are STUPID LONG, the Legacy Blacks are what every single traditionalist would kill for. Beautiful lines. SOFT feel. Solid amount of forgiveness for their size and just flat out KILLER looks. The PINNACLE of a shot makers forged cavity back to me.

LOOKS:

Initial impressions:

I remember seeing these the first time at CALLAWRX’12. HUGE thanks to Doc Hoc (Dr. Alan Hocknell) for letting me see his personal set when we were there at the ECPC. To be honest, I have been enamored with them for years. Ever since they were released. When Doc brought the 5-iron in to show me, everyone in the room just stopped. You could hear a pin drop… it was a moment I’d never forget. They are stunningly beautiful irons. The level of workmanship and detail that went into the design of them just amazes me. They are SUCH great looking irons. Wow. I was speechless.

Long term:

The Legacy Black continues to be just a BEAUTIFUL set of irons. Simply superb. The 4-iron down to the PW is just perfect. The satin finish wears incredibly well. Sitting in the bag, they turn heads too, and when one of my buddies grabs one to waggle, he stands there befuddled while looking at them. They are the perfect iron in my mind. Perfect size, perfect shape, perfect amount of offset.

Rating: 5/5

PERFORMANCE/PLAYABILITY:

As in one of my previous reviews, one of the most important things for me at this period of my life is to be able to enjoy the game the maximum amount with the least amount of effort. Put a good swing and I’m amazed. Put a decent swing and I’m amazed. Put a crappy swing and I have a smile on my face because I’m still on the golf course. LOL.

These irons will give you what you put into them. They aren’t as forgiving as my set of X Hot Pros, but really, what is as forgiving as a set of X Hot Pros. Well, the X Hot’s, but that’s a different story. These are definitely more forgiving than the 2013 X Forged, but a bit less forgiving than the X Hot Pros (which I have found to be STUPID easy to hit).

With the Legacy Blacks, they can be worked, but do definitely offer help. I can work the ball left or right, hit it high, low, dead straight, you name it. BUT, you must put a decent swing on them to reap the benefits. I won’t sit here and tell you that they are as easy to hit as the X Hot’s, because that would be a lie. BUT, they are definitely easier more consistent than am X Prototype blade per say.

With the C Taper shafts, they are incredibly accurate. I’ve hit some phenomenal shots with them. I’ve also hit some BAD shots in which I knew the Indian was smoking the peace pipe before he hit the ball, but hey, at least they felt fantastic. LOL.

Now, similar to the X Hot Pros, I’ve been able to put these through the gauntlet of shots as well. Hook around that tree?? Check. Flush it OVER that tree?? Check. Fade it over that bunker and land softly pin high?? Check. Knock it down to fight the wind?? Yes SIR (although for some reason, I’m not very good at knocking it down when I want to, but I COULD do it at the range. LOL)

WHOA.

RATING: 5/5

FEEL:

This is where, in my mind, the Legacy Black has no sibling. They are SOOOOOFFFFFTTTTTTTTT. I mean, really SSSSSSOOOOFFFFFTTTTT. Whoa man. Uber-soft. With the C Tapers in them, it’s not really a fair fight. My 2013 X Forged with PXi’s are soft. But these are SOFT. I don’t really think I have to go into anything else. I’m pretty sure Henrik Stenson would say the same thing too.

RATING: 5/5

OVERALL BOTTOM LINE:

I love ‘em. Really do. They aren’t UBER forgiving, but they are more than forgiving enough for any 0-10 handicap that plays enough to really LOVE them. I mean REALLY love them. I wouldn’t recommend them for a high handicap. I just wouldn’t. They aren’t point-n-shoot irons, but they aren’t meant to be either… just like a Lamborghini or Ferrari is not really meant to be an everyday commuter car either.

The Legacy Blacks are THE PINNACLE of what an iron should be. In my mind they sure are. I consider myself blessed to have them. And there aren’t many irons I consider myself blessed to have.

No, I actually never bought a set. I keep flirting with sets on ebay and just keep panicking everytime I go to hit the buy now button. I am probably the biggest diablo forged lover on the forum and keep thinking this is the diablo forged royale. Not to mention, to my eye, they might be the best looking irons I've ever seen. Do you see how I am actually talking myself into it again as I type this post? Got to go, ebay is calling. I will get you back for this Stonewalled! This isn't over. I will find your achilles heel and make you pay! You're that friend that my wife hates who gets me in trouble everytime we get together. You are an evil, evil man.

No, I actually never bought a set. I keep flirting with sets on ebay and just keep panicking everytime I go to hit the buy now button. I am probably the biggest diablo forged lover on the forum and keep thinking this is the diablo forged royale. Not to mention, to my eye, they might be the best looking irons I've ever seen. Do you see how I am actually talking myself into it again as I type this post? Got to go, ebay is calling. I will get you back for this Stonewalled! This isn't over. I will find your achilles heel and make you pay! You're that friend that my wife hates who gets me in trouble everytime we get together. You are an evil, evil man.

LOL, you can thank, or blame Dr Evil, [Doc Hoc] for your current predicament. I got caught up in his spell long ago, and happy for it. Diablo forged u say?? I always wanted to try those, lots of love on here for those as well. Maybe Doc Hoc needs to step up again and bring us a 2019 version of the Stenson's.

I know how you feel on the friend who gets me in trouble with the wife. I had a Evil friend[great guy] who had contacts with the local reps, he contacted me just about everyday with the deal of the day. He always had the sweetest stuff, at a very good price. He found my Kryptonite and I had a hard time saying no, I rarely said no. If I said no he would just up the anti a bit till I couldn't refuse. Wife would just cringe, and say I don't even want to know. 5 years of constant Evilness, so your getting off very lucky. You interested in a Z765/Z965 combo set??? :help: LoL.

Are the stensons really considered to be forgiving in the range of the player irons of these days (z765, p760, etc). I love the look of them and they have a ton of great qualities but I feel like they are designed for better players, and I say that owning a set I won't get rid of but I feel like I don't middle enough to play consistently.

Are the stensons really considered to be forgiving in the range of the player irons of these days (z765, p760, etc). I love the look of them and they have a ton of great qualities but I feel like they are designed for better players, and I say that owning a set I won't get rid of but I feel like I don't middle enough to play consistently.

From my research, I have a feeling that they are not as forgiving as other cavity backs. That is the only thing holding me back. I thought initially that they were basically the asian market version on the diablo forged but, the more I read, the more it seems clear they are not as forgiving.

Check the Cobra Forged CB as well

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I was big fan of razor x tour irons....those were great cavity backs and were cast.....bit of offset but small head

I had diablo forged as well but those were a bit springy....

Forged only means something if the whole club is forged....put a steel face on forged body well what's the point.....

I liked razor x tour more than diablo forged

Sucks they both looked like chit after few months

From my research, I have a feeling that they are not as forgiving as other cavity backs. That is the only thing holding me back. I thought initially that they were basically the asian market version on the diablo forged but, the more I read, the more it seems clear they are not as forgiving.

I would say they are more forgiving than my 765's, but not as forgiving as my i200's. The i200's are one heck of a CB. I have been having decent success with using my 5,6,7 Jspec rapture V2's with the 8,9,pw of the CB of the day. Combo set lets me play the short irons of my favourite sets and I still get forgiveness where I need it. Best of both worlds.

Happy Holidays!

You know me so well. Between you and Stonewalled, i will break. A man can only take so much.

Ole Hawkeye takes a great picture. I think everyone needs some Stenson's under the tree. Did I mention mine have i95 steelfibers in them? Dang sweet feeling irons, best feeling irons I have ever had. Not sure if I had mentioned they feel real SO :happy: OFFTT

I'm selling my set of JPX 900 forged if you're interested. Was trying to do it locally but whatever. Shoot me a message

Ping G400 - 8.5 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV X-Stiff

Callaway Epic Flash - 3W - Fujikura 757 TR 

Callaway Epic Flash - 5W - HZRDUS Smoke 

Mizuno MP20 - 4-7 MMC, 8-P MB - Project X LZ

Vokey SM6 - 52/56/60 - DG S200

Evnroll - ER5 

I would say they are more forgiving than my 765's, but not as forgiving as my i200's. The i200's are one heck of a CB. I have been having decent success with using my 5,6,7 Jspec rapture V2's with the 8,9,pw of the CB of the day. Combo set lets me play the short irons of my favourite sets and I still get forgiveness where I need it. Best of both worlds.

I have not had the Legacy Blacks for long, but off initial impressions I would say this is right on. The Blacks are definitely not hard to hit. I would say more forgiving than 785, 765 and 965, and less so than the i200. I’d put them about even in forgiveness with a JPX 900. The LB’s do have a lot of perimeter weighting and a bit wider sole and both add a lof of forgiveness.

And I’ll say it again: Photos are nice but they still don’t quite capture how great they look in hand. They have a high-end look to them.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Ok, ok, I’ll play... what is the difference between the “Stenson’s” and these Legacy Blacks:

Callaway Mavrik 9* w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 60
Callaway Mavrik 3 wood w/ Aldila ROGUE White 130 M.S.I. 70
Callaway Mavrik 3 hybrid w/ Project X Catalyst 75
PXG Gen 1 0311X 4 iron w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80
PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 5-7 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 5 0311 XP 8-GW w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 54 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

PXG Gen 2 0311 Forged 60 w/ Mitsubishi MMT 80

Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2