New TP5 and TP5X

jwb10

I apologize if this has been mentioned but which box these two balls has less driver spin?

There won’t be much difference in driver spin between the balls. Maybe 300 rpm difference.

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I apologize if this has been mentioned but which box these two balls has less driver spin?

There won’t be much difference in driver spin between the balls. Maybe 300 rpm difference.

Doubtful the spin difference will even that much between two similarly constructed urethane balls. The main differences most people will see with these will be a slight difference in apex and obviously feel.

It wasn't at the show so, it doesn't look like yellow is coming to the US any time soon.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

There won't be much difference in driver spin between the balls. Maybe 300 rpm difference.

Doubtful the spin difference will even that much between two similarly constructed urethane balls. The main differences most people will see with these will be a slight difference in apex and obviously feel.

I agree, golf balls are mainly going to focus on feel and what the player is trying to feel from the golf ball at contact.

What's the early verdict on this ball? I keep hearing that it is incredible and that players are getting a few more MPH of ball speed with it.

Official release Feb 15th.....

Not seen any in stores / eBay etc yet :-(

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

I'm a relatively low launch/high spin player without much club head speed (around 90 with a driver). I just discovered recently that the current 2017 TP5x fits me better than anything I've tried. ProV1x is a somewhat close second.The TP5x behaves how I like/expect with every club and shows definite gains in distance with every club as well, including a nice drop in spin with the driver.

As a general rule, for some reason the softer balls don't work as well for me. For example, the non-X ProV1 & Chrome Soft don't fit me at all. But I'm wondering if the higher compression in the 2019 TP5x is going to mess up the otherwise excellent performance of this ball (for me). Obviously I'll figure this out in a few weeks, but I certainly hope they haven't geared this ball just for the bombers.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Explain how they don't "fit you". Im intrigued.

The 2015 ProV1 was great for me. Reasonably low spin off the driver with proper launch & distance and not-excessive spin off everything else. I never felt like I was leaving anything on the table.

When the 2017 ProV1s came out I did the "buy 3 dozen get 1 free" before hitting it. I assumed it would be about the same. For me, it wasn't even close to the old ball. Could barely get it off the ground with a driver and at the same time somehow it spun even more (on a good strike). Short flight with no rollout. It also launched too low off everything stronger than an 8 iron. It's a shame because this ball feels great.

I started trying a few others including the 2017 ProV1x and Chrome Soft, all while still hitting the ProV1s occasionally since I had 4 dozen. The CS almost feels mushy to me, but was a much better ball for with the irons & hybrids. However, I still the same issue with the driver: too much spin, short flight with no rollout. Months later I also tried the 2018 version. Same result. I never tried the CSx.

Over the course of this testing, I found that the 2017 ProV1x does (literally) everything better than those others, for me. It launches a little higher with every club, spins plenty, but not too much, and very predictably. It's also easily 10+ yards longer off the driver - a combination of higher launch & lower spin. Considering my low swing speed, I know this is a bit opposite to conventional wisdom, but there's something in my delivery that works with this ball. The only thing I don't like about it is the firm feel, but I could live with it considering the results.

Now to the TP5x... I heard that it was a softer feeling ball than the v1x so I got a dozen back in the Fall. I did the same thing as before - alternating the new ball in and out with the v1x. Holy cow. Ball flight looks just like the v1x, but every club flies a few yards longer, and with no low-spin issues coming in to the greens. Off the driver the launch is the same but the spin is definitely less. I'm getting even more rollout. And when you only carry a driver about 225, every extra yard counts. The feel is also great - a touch softer than the v1x but certainly not mushy. For me, the only thing the v1x does better is greenside spin.

I haven't tried the recent Srixon or Bridgestone balls.

Bottom line is the 2017 TP5x does almost everything just right for me. It's also literally 15 yards longer off the driver vs CS and ProV1, and about 5 yards longer than the v1x.

Rogue ST LS 10.5 | TSi2 15 | G425 4H 20.5 | ZX4 4 | ZX5 5-P | CBX ZC 48 & 52.5 | Glide 2.0 Stealth 58 | Itsy Bitsy Spider | TP5x

Excellent, and I mean excellent, follow up.

The original TP5x is a great ball plagued with durability issues. A lot of people see it and a lot of people don’t but, the durability also is incurred from a players particular swing, AoA, swing speed, and the elements of the course they play in. The tp5x durability was garbage for me and I do look forward to the market ball they release this new generation. The proto ball was very good.

Now, I can’t speak for Srixon. I have no bearing in their market and have only tried maybe 3 or 4 of their balls ever. Bridgestone makes a great ball. Their current line is great.

But, I would very highly recommend you try and current gen of Chromesoft X. It’s getting a really happy rapport of performance between the new TP5 and Prov1x. You really can’t miss, I’d think. Grab a sleeve (truvis, I am a believer) and give it a whirl. You will be surprised and I think intrigued to put it against anything else. If not, oh well brah!

These are good posts. More people do this S***!!!

I know everyones experience is different but I want to chime in that I played 6 boxes of TP5X last year and didnt have a single durability issue. I wonder if there was simply a bad (large) production batch.

I myself have wondered about that. I have played them mostly (have used Srixon and Callaway a little too) for 2 years and not had any durability issues. But then again I don't tear up any ball really. I've played a single (same ball) ChromeSoft for almost 6 months and over 100 rounds before and it still didn't have any cover scuffs. Of course the TruVis pattern was just about beat off of it, but... But yeah, I will play single balls for a LONG time, and never had a cover issue with a TP5 family golf ball.

I know everyone’s experience is different but I want to chime in that I played 6 boxes of TP5X last year and didn’t have a single durability issue. I wonder if there was simply a bad (large) production batch.

As stated before, it depends on a great deal of things. It wasn’t just TP5X but also TP5. It didn’t happen as much to other balls I was using (Nike RZN Tour black and platinum, chromesoft and chromesoft X, smell blad or red).

Even taylormade acknowledged the issue by specifically stating better cover durability and showed tests of new cover durability in other threads.

So no, it wasn’t a small batch / large batch issue. You’re just one of the many cases of people not seeing an issue but, there are equal amounts of people seeing problems as those that aren’t. Regardless, you’re not pro and it more than likely won’t even be noticed in your performance.

I know everyone’s experience is different but I want to chime in that I played 6 boxes of TP5X last year and didn’t have a single durability issue. I wonder if there was simply a bad (large) production batch.

I myself have wondered about that. I have played them mostly (have used Srixon and Callaway a little too) for 2 years and not had any durability issues. But then again I don't tear up any ball really. I've played a single (same ball) ChromeSoft for almost 6 months and over 100 rounds before and it still didn't have any cover scuffs. Of course the TruVis pattern was just about beat off of it, but... But yeah, I will play single balls for a LONG time, and never had a cover issue with a TP5 family golf ball.

Although I didn't mention it above, the TP5x has been much worse for me in terms of durability vs the ProV1x. Wedge strikes beat it up badly, and I'm also noticing a lot of cover wear that seems to magically appear for no reason at all. It's really quite strange.

And 100 rounds with 1 ball, that's great! Would love to see a pic of that.

You played ONE ball for 100 rounds ??! was it on a leash ?!

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

You played ONE ball for 100 rounds ??! was it on a leash ?!

Ha! No, I just don't lose many. A dozen is more than enough to last me all year usually.

I am surprised there a few who mention little to no experience with Srixon and their tour level balls. Wonder if that is because they have a smaller foot print on tour ? I would think having Cameron Champ bombing 340 all day would get a few more sales. BTW I have been a huge Srixon fan for 3 generations (soon to be 4)

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I am surprised there a few who mention little to no experience with Srixon and their tour level balls. Wonder if that is because they have a smaller foot print on tour ? I would think having Cameron Champ bombing 340 all day would get a few more sales. BTW I have been a huge Srixon fan for 3 generations (soon to be 4)

Srixon is an amazing ball manufacturer, and in fact I'd say have THE best top to bottom lineup of golf balls on the market. But, the problem with Srixon (and I can say this as a Srixon retailer) is that they, like most all of the Japanese companies, don't understand marketing in the US market and haven't done well with it. In talking with top level guys there though, they are making a much more concerted effort this year with a wide marketing and advertising plan, spending an impressive amount of money for commercials, print ads, etc for the entire lineup...clubs as well as golf balls. Srixon has still been increasing sales almost every year, but hasn't become as major of a player as their technology should allow because, quite frankly, the average golfer doesn't even know what they are, much less how to even pronounce the name. I've heard it pronounced wrong several times a week since they first brought golf balls to market under their own name.

For golf balls (or anything else in golf) to sell, average guys have to see it a lot...whether that's in commercials, lots of Tour usage and WINS, or at least multiple top level Tour guys using said product (as opposed to one top level guy...average golfer relates that to a big money contract), and just overall high quality exposure. Srixon also does themselves no favors by having $10 half-dozens promos several times throughout the year. With the average consumer, low price mentally equates to lower quality products. One time a year would be acceptable, as it's a way to get potential new people to try your product with a low barrier of entry, but several times a year just leads to people stockpiling them, and conditions others to equate the constantly low price with your product, and then they never want to pay the full MSRP.

Once I get rid of the 15 or so dozen balls in my closet / bag, I will put srixon in play. I’m not going for the ball that is hit by the long hitter...I could use Volvik for that.

The straight and skinny of it is, I play in San Diego. Support the local guys with TM and callaway among a lot of others. True, srixon and cleveland are right up the road but, I am not seeing them as much on the course.

I will, however, most definitely be playing and looking at them more in the coming season.

Srixon is an amazing ball manufacturer, and in fact I'd say have THE best top to bottom lineup of golf balls on the market. But, the problem with Srixon (and I can say this as a Srixon retailer) is that they, like most all of the Japanese companies, don't understand marketing in the US market and haven't done well with it. In talking with top level guys there though, they are making a much more concerted effort this year with a wide marketing and advertising plan, spending an impressive amount of money for commercials, print ads, etc for the entire lineup...clubs as well as golf balls. Srixon has still been increasing sales almost every year, but hasn't become as major of a player as their technology should allow because, quite frankly, the average golfer doesn't even know what they are, much less how to even pronounce the name. I've heard it pronounced wrong several times a week since they first brought golf balls to market under their own name.

For golf balls (or anything else in golf) to sell, average guys have to see it a lot...whether that's in commercials, lots of Tour usage and WINS, or at least multiple top level Tour guys using said product (as opposed to one top level guy...average golfer relates that to a big money contract), and just overall high quality exposure. Srixon also does themselves no favors by having $10 half-dozens promos several times throughout the year. With the average consumer, low price mentally equates to lower quality products. One time a year would be acceptable, as it's a way to get potential new people to try your product with a low barrier of entry, but several times a year just leads to people stockpiling them, and conditions others to equate the constantly low price with your product, and then they never want to pay the full MSRP.

I would file Bridgestone in the same category as Srixon. Both make great golf balls but their propaganda is lacking. I'm testing the B-Stone SX/RX/RXS and the Srixon Z Star and Q Star Tour because I want distance with soft feel and spin around the green. Currently using the AVX to get soft feel but the spin around the green aspect is lacking. Maybe the TP5 will contend. Maybe it will be the Project A that will be best. Time will tell!

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

I would file Bridgestone in the same category as Srixon. Both make great golf balls but their propaganda is lacking. I'm testing the B-Stone SX/RX/RXS and the Srixon Z Star and Q Star Tour because I want distance with soft feel and spin around the green. Currently using the AVX to get soft feel but the spin around the green aspect is lacking. Maybe the TP5 will contend. Maybe it will be the Project A that will be best. Time will tell!

I used to love Bridgestone, but in dealing with/buying from them as this level, I've all but stopped. They've completely lost the little bit of direction they once had. Don't know how to market or sell golf balls, and definitely not golf clubs. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they pulled completely out of the US market, especially in golf clubs. And the transition from Tour B330 to Tour B in golf balls has really done a number on them at the retail sales level. I've seen countless die hard Tour B330 customers completely leave Bridgestone altogether because of the totally different marketing on the Tour B line (it's way more confusing than the original fitting and marketing). Bridgestone has gone from being the top selling golf ball brand in my proshop to being literally hard to give away at my wholesale cost in just 1-2 years. They have ZERO clue in how to market anything. It's a shame, because they do make great products.

I used to love Bridgestone, but in dealing with/buying from them as this level, I've all but stopped. They've completely lost the little bit of direction they once had. Don't know how to market or sell golf balls, and definitely not golf clubs. I wouldn't be totally shocked if they pulled completely out of the US market, especially in golf clubs. And the transition from Tour B330 to Tour B in golf balls has really done a number on them at the retail sales level. I've seen countless die hard Tour B330 customers completely leave Bridgestone altogether because of the totally different marketing on the Tour B line (it's way more confusing than the original fitting and marketing). Bridgestone has gone from being the top selling golf ball brand in my proshop to being literally hard to give away at my wholesale cost in just 1-2 years. They have ZERO clue in how to market anything. It's a shame, because they do make great products.

Everything else for 2018 is on sale, I went in wanting to buy the XS yesterday, but at $45 compared to everything at $30-35 no way.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Everything else for 2018 is on sale, I went in wanting to buy the XS yesterday, but at $45 compared to everything at $30-35 no way.

The B-Stone balls were refreshed last year so they aren't on sale. Same story on the AVX. Most any ball introduced last year is still at full price.

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

Indeed, im more confused now with their ball lineup than i do with insurance policies.

The worst is when they decided to break off the e6's to soft and speed ? Like wtf ?

TS3 9.5 / TSi2 15 / Z785 / SM7

Indeed, im more confused now with their ball lineup than i do with insurance policies.

The worst is when they decided to break off the e6's to soft and speed ? Like wtf ?

Definitely getting off topic of the OP, but according to what Bridgestone was telling us (retailers), that was more or less the rebranding of the old e7 to be in the e6 family, since the e6 (when they had e5, e6, e7) was the most sold ball of the e-series. So it somehow made sense to them to make them both an e6 and distinguish them by "Speed" and "Soft"...which creates two different model names anyway, so I actually liked it more when it was e6 and e7.

The B-Stone balls were refreshed last year so they aren't on sale. Same story on the AVX. Most any ball introduced last year is still at full price.

Weird. Up here in the great white north, the Bridgestone balls are on sale at Golf Town. I got a few boxes for $40cdn last week (regular price is $60cdn)

Can’t wait to compare in Florida next month.

Lucky man ! ***Some sort of trial pack I take it......

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):