New TP5 and TP5X

Given the talk about durability of the current TP5/TP5x as it relates to scuffs and shearing, I thought I'd post this info from the product launch event I attended in late November. The 2019 ball has a much improved paint system. It now moves with the cover at closer to the same rate during impacts, so the paint is less likely to shear off.

TaylorMade engineers did most of their testing by firing balls at cart path materials, before building a contraption that could simulate the effect in the same way.

I've hit the ball, but haven't had a chance to look into the claims that durability has been increased, so for now I can only go by what I was told.

TaylorMade SIM 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 3-4, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade P7MC 5-6, KBS $-Taper S

TaylorMade P7MB 7-PW, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade MG2 52, Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade Milled Juno proto, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

• Replies 650
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

> @sevenfourate said: > Late to the party,but: > > First time out with the 2019 TP5 yesterday. And I like ! Convinced already that I made the right choice In not getting the X version

I have a revolutionary tool that you guys might find useful:  

> @GolfTurkey said: > > @Zakers23 said: > > 19 TP5x has as much green side spin as a pinnacle > Yep, I played a new course this week and couldn't stop chips. Took out a ProV1x an

As usual with TM, all I care about are the golf balls. I'm hoping the TP5 is available in yellow.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (-)
(fw tbd)
PING i25 22°, 26°
Callaway XHP 6-AW
PING Glide Forged 54°
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 58° ES
PING TR B60, 35"
Srixon Z-Star Yellow

Given the talk about durability of the current TP5/TP5x as it relates to scuffs and shearing, I thought I'd post this info from the product launch event I attended in late November. The 2019 ball has a much improved paint system. It now moves with the cover at closer to the same rate during impacts, so the paint is less likely to shear off.

Interesting. Hopefully they hold up better than last years version.

I hope the seam line is closer too seamless.

Sim Max 9.75* GD IZ 6s
TS 17* 

SM8 52F-56D-60M
Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
Nike 006 Rory Proto ([b][color=#FF0000]Oven[/color][/b])
TP5x Pix

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

I would love to see a ball that fits in-between the 5 and X. The distance of the X and soft feeling spin around the greens of 5! :drinks:

I picked up the last gen tp5x when they went on sale for $35. They preform so well for me in all facets of the game.

TaylorMade engineers did most of their testing by firing balls at cart path materials, before building a contraption that could simulate the effect in the same way.

I've hit the ball, but haven't had a chance to look into the claims that durability has been increased, so for now I can only go by what I was told.

I couldn't ever figure out what the fuss was about (durability wise). I not prone to aiming at the cart paths or concrete so I must be in a minority. Improvement is improvement and I hope they didn't change the TP5X too much - feel wise.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

I couldn't ever figure out what the fuss was about (durability wise). I not prone to aiming at the cart paths or concrete so I must be in a minority. Improvement is improvement and I hope they didn't change the TP5X too much - feel wise.

I also didn't have durability concerns with the TP5 or the TP5x, but clearly it's a sentiment that exists.

The new TP5x feels firmer off irons and woods. It has gone from 90 to 97 compression and it's something you notice at impact. However, the cover formulation has also changed and is a little softer. The softer cover combined with a more rigid layer under the cover is supposed to increase spin on shots around the green and approach shots. I didn't have a chance to do any green side testing, unfortunately.

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

I also didn't have durability concerns with the TP5 or the TP5x, but clearly it's a sentiment that exists.

The new TP5x feels firmer off irons and woods. It has gone from 90 to 97 compression and it's something you notice at impact. However, the cover formulation has also changed and is a little softer. The softer cover combined with a more rigid layer under the cover is supposed to increase spin on shots around the green and approach shots. I didn't have a chance to do any green side testing, unfortunately.

After reading the propaganda, it looks like if I stay with the ball, it will be with the TP5 and not the X. We will see though.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Ping i20 3 Hyb 707H Stiff
TM R7 TP 3i Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4_-PW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, Ping ES 56º and ES 60º
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

After reading the propaganda, it looks like if I stay with the ball, it will be with the TP5 and not the X. We will see though.

Definitely test them both. They're better than last year's balls IMO. I'll likely stick with the TP5x, as I believe that's the better all around ball for me and I can't give up the performance in the wind.

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

Definitely test them both. They're better than last year's balls IMO. I'll likely stick with the TP5x, as I believe that's the better all around ball for me and I can't give up the performance in the wind.

When is the release date?

When is the release date?

February 15, 2019

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

I perfectly timed my supply of the current TP5x to be gone by the time the courses closed in MN. So I'm ready for the new ones!

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

Release feb 15.

Durability was an issue. Again, not the urethane or inner layers but the cover paint used did get scuffed. Impact to your game was probably quite minimal but, many don’t like seeing scuffs and scratches in the ball cover. It’s offputting.

Price per dozen is $45.

Compression is up to 97 on TP5x...that’s pretty marbley. I’m talking harder than srixon z star xv, prov1x, laddie precept, etc. Itll feel like the pinnacles prior to 2010 and those were hard. This is harder. BUT, let’s just wait and see.

If I were to keep playing TM balls, the regular TP5 would be it for me. Softer compressions and better flight with amazing spin.

I perfectly timed my supply of the current TP5x to be gone by the time the courses closed in MN. So I'm ready for the new ones!

Ha. The struggle..losing a new ball off the tee is so so bad IMO. Currently have over two boxes left bc I am too scared!

It is good enough to pull Rickie away from ProV1s supposedly. Not on Titelist ball mentions anymore.

Has he been playing the new TP5? I haven’t been keeping up with the equipment changes this year.

Yeah, haven't seen the model reported, but one of the TP5s

So the 2nd markets for TP5X previous generations are going to be sweet !

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

I've never been so disappointed with a TM golfball as per the current TP5-X. And i've been a sole Taylormade golf-ball user since they re-launched in the premium market in 2006.

TP Reds, LDP's etc all seemed primarily (For me) to be plenty long enough, to spin well from 40 yards in [And living right by the sea] never balloon. Some versions were a little more hardy in reference the cover shearing, some felt a little softer. Perhaps. But more than anything they flat out performed.

The 2018 TP5-X is the complete opposite. Goes well off the long clubs. And that's it. Feels rank on less than a half-shots, very-very average around the greens. Clicky as heck off the putter. And doesn't even resist scuffing that well to boot !

I've 'just' changed / started trying other balls. But am so ready to go back to a TM offering if they change and improve. Not just change for change sake.

I feel like they were both too firm. Im hearing that this years tp5 are softer and spin better around the greens. I have a doz that i just got on monday but havent even pulled them out to putt with.

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

Not what I wanted to hear,, the ball getting firmer. I loved where the X was at feel wise.

Looks like the TP5 will be the ball I test against the ‘19 Pro V1. I hope the increase in compression of the new TP5 gives me the ball speed of the old TP5x while retaining most of the old TP5’s short game spin and putting feel.

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Tensei Pro White 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° and 23° hybrids MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 50-07, 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten 

Callaway Chrome Soft Triple Track

good stuff, can probably move from the x to the regular once my supply runs out

GBB Ventus Black 6
F9 Tour 3w-Ventus black 7
F9 Tour 5w-Smoke 70
F9 21* hybrid - ATMOS black 

F9 24* hybrid Hzrdus smoke 
JPX921F 6-G LZ Blackout 
MD5 53/58
Toulon Portland Garage 
TM TP5X 

So that means you had just enough hoping not to loose before snow hit...OR....you had plenty and sprayed them everywhere :D

Looks like the TP5 will be the ball I test against the ‘19 Pro V1. I hope the increase in compression of the new TP5 gives me the ball speed of the old TP5x while retaining most of the old TP5’s short game spin and putting feel.

The 2019 TP5 did not change compression. It's still 85 compression, just like the 2017-18 TP5. That said, it does have the firmer HFM layer under the cover to add speed off driver/irons and help optimize spin off wedges, but they changed the core slightly. The net result is a ball that should be a little faster, but it has the same feel.

It's the 2019 TP5x that changed compression from 90 to 97. They added HFM but did not change the compression of any parts of the core. The net result is a ball that feels a little firmer.

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

So that means you had just enough hoping not to loose before snow hit...OR....you had plenty and sprayed them everywhere :D

Ha! :D Let's just say I don't lose too many. Most end up in the shag bag.

TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

Oooooo Boy..... the Golfing gods are going to strike down now. I predict 1st tee ball next round will be lost! :busted_cop:

• SIM 10.5 - Ventus Black Velocore 7X 
  • SIM Ti 3W -  Ventus Blue Velocore 8X
  • P790 3I - ADDI 95X
  • P7MC 4-PW - TI X100
  • MG2  52 & 58 - TI S400
  • Spider X 
  • 19' TP5