Fairway wood for someone who can't hit a fairway wood

md1m

I agree that some people are FW hitters & some would be better with a hybrid. But if it must be a FW then I will say once more here on wrx....the callaway fusion. If you cannot hit the fusion fw, you should give up golf. They swing themselves & are the easiest woods to hit in the air ever. Cobra & TEE are easily in the top 3 as well. Adams following 4th.

I was looking at the new F9 series, & they look incredible. The F9 hybrid might finally upset my Callaway X2 Hot right out of the bag. I didn't think that would ever happen.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hitting off the deck isn’t as hard as you would think it is. I acknowledge if someone has physical restrictions but if you swing is consistent it’s really easy to get down mentally at least lol. But when I was younger I watched a old YouTube video with a Irish feller broke down the sequence of hitting fairway woods in such a simple way.

To hit them, it broke down with a club waggle that included brushing the ground with the sole of the club. After just feeling that pathing the objective was to understand that that was the way to pass through the ball and of course with a slight descending blow. What I’m getting at is, if you understand this pathing tip and do it as a reminder before having to hit your wood(whether tee or ground) it’s a good reminder to do and one that I use especially as a routine and reminder so I don’t get choppy or steep.

The fairway wood I use has a deeper face and not so much a shallow face and I do not find it hard to hit deep faced woods imo. But if you do heed my advice I think any wood will become easier to hit for ya and it’ll just come down to feel and distance etc for ya.

Any chance you have the link to that video?

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993

I have to admit to not reading the entire thread, but I was once in the same position as OP. The Cobra F6 baffler was awesome for me and was the first fairway wood that I could truly hit. Small head, lots of loft range, and the bounce created by the rails really helps out. Not sure if the models that followed were as easy to hit, but the F6 was solid.

As some have mentioned. Adams is the way to go. Particularly the Tight Lies Titanium. Very solid feel and sound, but most importantly, very easy to hit off the deck and out of the rough. Most importantly is, you could probably ebay one dirt cheap.

Titleist 917D3 9.5
Titleist 917F2 13.5d
Titleist 818H2 17d. hybrid
Mltizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Scratch 8620 53d..
Odyssey white hot tour #2

Band aid solution with short term benefits - A low lofted hybrid.

Long term solution with long lasting benefits - Get lessons and work on your swing.

I often practice with an old MacGregor laminate 3 wood (off the deck of course) that I got from a Pawn Shop for $5 a few years ago. Although it was hard to hit at first since the head was smaller and its COG isn't low, it really made me force to use a lot of forward shaft lean at impact to get the ball in the air. By transferring what I learned to the other clubs, my other more modern clubs are stupid easy to hit and it helped me really compress the ball at impact with my irons, wedges and driver giving a lower trajectory with more distance.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Go back a few years and get an Adams Tight Lies 2 . Not the longest but definitely the easiest I've ever hit. Plus you can pick them up cheap so you won't be wasting much money.

You beat me to it. I was going to say the old Adams Tight Lies line is about the easiest thing to hit in the history of fairway woods. When we teach the Juniors, we have several of these for them to hit as they are learning and we choose the Tight Lies because they are inexpensive and very rewarding even for beginners. If you can't get one of these off the ground without stress, quit fairway woods all together.

Just ordered an old Tight Lies. I know this is mostly mental. Used to be able to use fairway woods fine, and now I'm a much better golfer but am having a mental block. Had a similar problem getting out of the sand in the past and used a couple of "cheater" wedges. I was able to ditch those wedges and am back to a "normal" wedge and am very comfortable out of the sand now. Hoping the same thing can happen with fairway wood.

I haven't regularly carried a fairway wood for a couple of years. I normally shoot in the 80's, with an occasional round in the 70's, but don't have the confidence to hit a fairway wood when it counts (so many times don't even carry one). I'm money with my 5 hybrid (Sterling), but it's the longest club after my driver (G30), which I also hit well, so looking to close that 60-70 yard gap. The crazy thing is I used to be able to hit one all the time (off the tee and from the fairway), but just can't do it consistently now. I do have the G30 3 and 5 woods.

Yes, I know I need continued lessons, and it's the Indian not the arrow. Wondering if a shallow faced wood would help.

I have a recommendation. Pick up a Ping 4-wood with a more flexible shaft that you would normally play. Pick it up cheap somewhere.

Practice with it, without trying to hit the crap out of it. Swing smoother, and just try to hit it nice, and hit it straight. See what happens when you start making center contact.

You might fall in love with a used, softer shafted fairway wood. Part of being a good fairway wood player is putting a smoother swing on the club. A softer shaft will help you there.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have a PING G25 4wood that I absolutely love. Always had issues with a 3w, but the 4w just does something for my confidence. Plus, it always peeks the interest of my playing partners, some of whom act as if they've never heard of a 4w before.

PING G400 Max 10.5 Tour 65 s
PING G400 SFT 16 3 Wood Tour 75 s
PING G400 19 3 Hybrid Tour 85 s
PING I210 4-P KBS Tour C-Taper Lite s
PING Glide 2.0 50(ss) 54(es) 60(es) AWT Wedge
PING Vault 2.0 B60

I have a PING G25 4wood that I absolutely love. Always had issues with a 3w, but the 4w just does something for my confidence. Plus, it always peeks the interest of my playing partners, some of whom act as if they've never heard of a 4w before.

I have the Ping G25 4-wood, 5-wood and 7-wood. They might not be as long as a Tour Edge (I had a CB2 which was a cannon), but they are easy to hit and dependable. They go straight.

If someone is having trouble trying to hit a fairway wood, they are probably using an iron swing. Learning to sweep a fairway wood off the turf is a great asset.

I guess I am lucky; I learned to play in the 1970's with a 3-wood, 4-wood and 5-wood, all small wood woods.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

I have to admit to not reading the entire thread, but I was once in the same position as OP. The Cobra F6 baffler was awesome for me and was the first fairway wood that I could truly hit. Small head, lots of loft range, and the bounce created by the rails really helps out. Not sure if the models that followed were as easy to hit, but the F6 was solid.

I actually just ordered one of these from RBG. I’m debating whether I’m going to use a 70g Black Tie or a Nunchuk shaft I just got from a buddy. I plan on playing it at 16* or 16.5* with the weight back at first.

I want something that I can trust from the fairway, and I haven’t trusted a 3 wood off the deck since my old Adams XTD 15* Super Hybrid that I stupidly got rid of.

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

I picked up a Taylormade 2016 M2 3 wood HL which is more like a 4 wood. Great off the tee, but was also struggling a bit off the fairway. Found if I choke down about 1.5" when hitting off the deck it is way more consistent and doesn't give up much distance.

First fw I found that I could hit off the deck. Have stuck with he 16.5* head since

Could never hit a fw off the deck until I got a 16.5 in the bag I can hit it a mile off the fairway

Titleist TSI3 10

TM Sim Rocket 

TM Sim 2 TI 5 wood

TM 790 UDI 2 iron

Titleist T 200s 4-pw

TM Milled grind 50,56,60

Toulon Chicago 

www.nike.com

Dear OP,

I would recommend you to try the Rogue Star fairway woods or the Ping G400 SFT woods.

This is because their CG is weighted towards to the back making it easier to launch. Also the MOI on these heads are higher, leading to more forgiveness on off center strikes.

Do take note and match the right shaft to the club head so as to optimize your distance! The only difference between your hybrid and your fairway woods, aside from forgiveness & head weight is the shaft length and the loft! With a lower lofted fairway wood compared to your hybrid, do make sure you put in a light enough shaft for you to maintain a good swing speed and also a shaft with slightly higher torque, less stiffness in the tip and lower kick point to assist your launch. Try to keep swing weight at around D-0 at least to garner abit more feel when you hit.

I personally recommend the Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Red in 7S or 7X, butt trimmed to about 42inches(5wood) or 42.5inches(3wood) total playing length. If you find it slightly on the soft side, tip it by 0.25 inches to fine tune the stiffness but be sure to add some lead tape or tungsten powder to rebalance the swing weight.

Another shaft with the similar trimming strategy as the above that can be considered is the Project X Evenflow Red Max Carry in 7S. These shafts are geared towards players needing abit more launch and spin to keep the ball in the air.

The rest is up to your swing coach to make sure your strikes are consistent!

All the best!

I haven't regularly carried a fairway wood for a couple of years. I normally shoot in the 80's, with an occasional round in the 70's, but don't have the confidence to hit a fairway wood when it counts (so many times don't even carry one). I'm money with my 5 hybrid (Sterling), but it's the longest club after my driver (G30), which I also hit well, so looking to close that 60-70 yard gap. The crazy thing is I used to be able to hit one all the time (off the tee and from the fairway), but just can't do it consistently now. I do have the G30 3 and 5 woods.

Yes, I know I need continued lessons, and it's the Indian not the arrow. Wondering if a shallow faced wood would help.

I have a recommendation. Pick up a Ping 4-wood with a more flexible shaft that you would normally play. Pick it up cheap somewhere.

Practice with it, without trying to hit the crap out of it. Swing smoother, and just try to hit it nice, and hit it straight. See what happens when you start making center contact.

You might fall in love with a used, softer shafted fairway wood. Part of being a good fairway wood player is putting a smoother swing on the club. A softer shaft will help you there.

I think this is great advice. I recently switched from epic sz with rogue silver to g400 with alta cb and it makes a big difference in your confidence to hit the shot. I now look for reasons to hit 3w because its so easy to hit straight...

Ping G400 SF Tec 5w. Thank me later. I’ve tried them all.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

This is GREAT advice. Love this.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

I actually think it's almost never the equipment. It's two factors...

#1 - hitting it when you have a lie that calls for something else. Too often, when faced with 200+ to go, we just pull out a fairway wood. Nevermind the funny undulation or crud around it, or the unevenness.

#2 - it's usually hit when distance isn't "complete". For example, you normally hit it 225, but there's 245 left. "A good swing, and I can get there" you say to yourself. This causes you to swing a little fast, and top the ball. It didn't happen on the range because you were content with its total yardage. However when faced with an option, and a challenge, you "man up" and try to get there.

Look, if you're topping a wood while you're at the range, it's probably not going in the bag. But if you hit it ok on the range, you can't assume success if you haven't been working on it with slight variations. It's not teed up.

The question you have to ask is, if swung properly, is it actually going to get down and hit the face, or is this a likely topper? Then, you can talk about equipment, and depth of face... specifically if you want a tall one, or a short face for more deck shots.

Good luck, mate.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

Any of the original Tight Lies or the Orilimar Tri-Metals.

Stupid-easy to get airborne. Provided you can find a decent shaft (steel even?) they won't balloon.

TaylorMade M4 (9.5*) -- w/ Mitsubishi Diamana S+60 (X-stiff)
TaylorMade M1 3HL (17*) -- w/ UST Mamiya Proforce V2 7F4 (stiff)
Titleist 913F (19*) - Mitsubishi Diamana BB S+ 72 (stiff)
TaylorMade Tour Preferred (4-PW) -- w/ TT Dynamic Gold S300
Titleist Vokey SM6 M Grind (54*) 
Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind (60*)
Odyssey Stroke Lab - One - w/ Super Stroke Flatso 2.0

When I read the original post I thought I was reading an autobiograhpy... I know the feeling here!

I think a big issues is the sterling is a short SL hybrid... so jumping from that length to your FW can cause some issues.

I've tinkered all last season and I think that G30 5 wood trimmed down is still the ticket. You can buy aftermarket G30 weights to adjust the swing weight if you wish (I did this on my driver) so a new weight and grip... peanuts in cost and if it doesn't work out you can still park it without wasting too much cash.

Don't overlook some of Wishon's fairway woods either... the 929 series is killer with weight ports in the toe and heel. A fitter can build you a nice middle club that blends between your driver and hybrid. If you want two woods... highly recommend a 7 wood and 4 wood combo.

For me... the search continues! :-)

My favorite club is a K15 7 wood so I may just hunt down a K15 3 wood (16*) and throw it in the bag with it... most days I just use a F8 4 hybrid.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

When I read the original post I thought I was reading an autobiograhpy... I know the feeling here!

I think a big issues is the sterling is a short SL hybrid... so jumping from that length to your FW can cause some issues.

I've tinkered all last season and I think that G30 5 wood trimmed down is still the ticket. You can buy aftermarket G30 weights to adjust the swing weight if you wish (I did this on my driver) so a new weight and grip... peanuts in cost and if it doesn't work out you can still park it without wasting too much cash.

Don't overlook some of Wishon's fairway woods either... the 929 series is killer with weight ports in the toe and heel. A fitter can build you a nice middle club that blends between your driver and hybrid. If you want two woods... highly recommend a 7 wood and 4 wood combo.

For me... the search continues! :-)

My favorite club is a K15 7 wood so I may just hunt down a K15 3 wood (16*) and throw it in the bag with it... most days I just use a F8 4 hybrid.

For price point, K15 would be idea, but Ping G400 SFT fairway wood is much and I do mean MUCH better. I sold my K15 16* shorty after I bought G400 SFT.

Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5 Stock Alta (need shaft fitting)
Fairway Wood: Ryoma F5
Hybrid: TaylorMade M6 4H & 6H
Irons: OnOff Kuro 2015 6 - PW
Wedge: Cleveland RTX4 50, 54 and 58
Putter: S.C. GoLo 3
Ball: TaylorMade TP5X
Club hoe, builder, fitter and tester as hobbyist since 1993