Mizuno MP-20 HMB - July 2019

GolfWRX

Got my custom ordered split set in the mail today with 5/6 being HMB. I will share that these are not easily bent. I ordered them std loft b/c im going to check them anyways on my machine. When attempting to get them 2* weaker they required alot more force. Nothing crazy but just thought i would share.

They look fantastic! Headed out on a golf trip next we to CA and cant wait to see how they perform.

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

Like these much better than the 919F. They feel softer, are more forgiving, and just look so much better. Probably helps that I changed shaft flex going to the HMB,s (was launching too high), but I never really warmed up to the 919F like I thought I would.Am a few strokes lower than you in the index and went with the full set of HMB's. While the MB's look nice, the HMB's are going to offer just a bit more forgiveness which is beneficial to everyone. Setting them side by side on the ground, there is almost no difference in the look either. Unless you are a very consistent ball striker (pretty much everyone on WRX, of course), skip the MB and go HMB.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

I'm a 1 index and have played the 900 forged for the last 3 years, which exceeds the longest I've ever had a set of irons in the bag by about 2 years . That said, I want to love these HMB's, but I spent about 3 hours on a simulator this week trying every shaft combo possible and simply could not replicate the performance of my 900 forged. Standard lofts on the 900 forged are about 1 degree stronger, but I weakened them years ago as I was simply hitting the PW too far, so lofts shouldn't be the difference. During the comparison, ball speed was higher by about 2 mph on average for the 900 forged. I will say that the HMB's launched a few degrees higher and spun slightly more. I will say that I could use a bit more spin, but I play really firm and fast greens and even though my spin is lower than the 5i/5000 rpm, 7i/7000 rpm's model, I don't have a problem holding greens.

When I went to the MMC's with $ taper, numbers were better than HMB and overall distance was better (close to 900 forged), but I lost some forgiveness. I'm not sure what to do.

Project X LZ 6.0's in my 900 forged. Has anybody had a similar experience and found a different shaft will solve the problem? I tried the LZ, AMT, $ taper, but did not try the Modus 120 as I was afraid it would only make the problem worse.

Edit: The obvious answer is "keep what I've got" but the problem is the grooves on the 8-PW are gone and I'm due for new grips, which I don't want to do if I'm not keeping these. Maybe the grooves are part of the reason I'm hitting them so far, but I don't feel like yardages have changed that much over time.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

I have also been playing 900 forged for 3 years and have hit many other irons since including my friends MP 18 MMCs and the MP 20 MMcs at PGASS. The 900 forged are just so easy to work, crazy long and toe hits(my miss) lose very little. The MMCs look great and feel soft like a Mizzy but they are a notch down in forgiveness imo. I actually prefer the feel of 900 forged as they feel powerful yet soft. If I struck the middle more often I would buy a set with a slightly smaller profile like the MMC but I need the forgiveness. I was disappointed with the shape of the 919 forged and felt that line took a huge step back in terms of aesthetics. I am hoping the 920s this fall will rectify this as I am itching for a new set. Maybe you could get P-8 heads on the bay and make it one more summer until the 920s come out.

920’s huh? I see a few Japanese sets on eBay. Interesting! May just pu another set of 900 forged as a temporary solution and then wait and see.

[size=3]Taylormade SIM Max 10.5 Hzrdus Green 70[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade M4 3 wood - Tensei White Pro[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 818 H2 Hybrid 19 - Atmos Blue[/size]
[size=3]Titleist 816 H2 Hybrid 21 - Diamana D+[/size]
[size=3]Mizuno MP-20 MMC 5-PW - $ Taper [/size]
[size=3]Callaway X forged 56, 60[/size]
[size=3]Taylormade TP Red-White Ardmore 2[/size]

I'm a 13 handicap and play a full set of HMBs. Occasionally, I'll substitute 4-6 in the 919 HM. I have used 919 forged in the past. The HMBs are more forgiving and feel slightly better than the 919 forged, IMO. Both are very good irons but the HMBs are one of the best sets I have ever played. They look fantastic in the bag and behind the ball, have a good level of forgiveness and feel amazing. On a side note, the 919HMs are by far the best game improvement iron I have ever used, so easy to hit and unmatched feel for this category of iron.

How would everyone think these compare the Titleist T100’s in terms of playability? I know they compare more closely to the T200, but I am curious if they are more forgiving than the T100? I like the look of the HMB in person, but want to make sure I am not making a lateral move ideally... looking for easier launch and a level of off center forgiveness. Have played AP2 as long as I can remember, so that is my benchmark for forgiveness level I feel is ok for me. Thanks for any advice!

An even bigger secret is that you can send your irons to Mizuno and the cost to re-shaft them is $20 per club - including the grip.

My relatively new HMB's went back since I didn't listen to the Optimizer and go with the Modus 120 in X (others suggested in X as well, but I like the 120 and have used them for several years per the last generation Optimizer). Went S since I was afraid to beat up my elbows - turns out I hit the 120 in that flex a bit too high and spinny. It still wasn't a bad deal to have Mizuno do the work. Live and learn.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

Now there’s a guy speaking my language. I’d REALLY like to know more...

I'm trying out the new NS Pro 950 Neo since at my age, I need a lighter weight shaft. So far, I love them in the 790 2019’s. I’ve yet to try them in the HMB. They are smooth and perfect for those new heads. I was struggling to get height in the 2019’s. But, these Look like they solved that issue.

I'm not certain how they’ll work in the HMB since ball height was not a problem from my early testing. I do love the consistency of the HMB’s.

I’ve gone back and forth with 5-P hmb or substituting 8-P from both 18 and 20 mmc sets. Yesterday full hmb bag and shot 39-39. The hmb 5 iron is a godsend. Hit one to 3.5 feet for birdie dead into a 2 club wind. The reduction of side spin with these is amazing.

all my mizzy 18 and 20 irons have the same specs, Including fli hi - 3 up 1/2 over recoil 95 f3. The fli hi launched 2* lower than 18 mmc on trackman. Saw CV at the show and told him my hmb were 2* higher than mmc where the fli hi where lower and he agreed.

thanks again Vosh! Be well

the mizzy putters are nice, but 34” is a no go. I’ll stick with my mizzy tpm. It was classy of mizzy to have them in the booth to honor their place in history.

Titleist tsi2 10 tensei blue raw R
Titleist tsi2 16.5 tensei blue raw R
Titleist 816 h1 17/21/25 Diamana red 60 S
Mizuno 6-P JPX 921 HMP recoil 95 f3
Mizuno t20 46/52/58 recoil 95 f3
Mizuno mcraft iii 
Titleist Pro V1x