Do you think an 'artificial' course will ever be a reality?

I saw Rory's comments about all that goes into keeping a golf course up and I was actually thinking about this yesterday after attending a local golf show. They had some vendors who install putting greens but also offer varying levels of 'fairway and rough' to put around the green for chipping purposes.

My question is, do you think we will ever see an 'artificial course'? Maybe just have the greens be the only 'real' part of the course but everything else various levels of turf? I imagine it would be a gigantic investment up front however the ongoing maintenance would be minimal, the owners could tout that the course is always in perfect shape...even in the dead of winter.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Field Turf costs about 4.75 per square foot, but that's just for the material, not including the prep work. An acre is 44000 sq ft. So, $209,000, per acre, again, just for the turf. If you have 60 acres of fairways, that adds up. It also degrades over time, so you have to replace it occasionally. Judging from my BIL's artificial putting green, the turf still requires maintenance. Anyone have Jeff Bezo's phone number?

I read an article in Golfers Journal about an attempt to build such a course at a dude ranch in Colorado. The project stalled, I believe due to issues with neighboring landowners over excessive increased traffic or some such NIMBY stuff. I found a reference to the project in the Golf Club Atlas Discussion section, but there were no more details there.

Much like water desalinization, when the price of the artificial turf gets to be cheaper than the regular upkeep of natural grass, you will see it switch. There was a driving range I used to go to had their target areas all done in astroturf and it was contoured like a real course. That's when I first thought about that idea of doing an entire course like that. You would have to get used to the ball probably rolling out more on the harder surface vs grass. There are some companies that do high end backyard practice areas in turf and I bet that's pretty realistic.

Paloheinä golf in Helsinki already has one!* https://paloheinagolf.fi/evergreen/

Yes it is just a 5 hole par 3 course and the longest hole is 83m or 91 yards, but it has turf tees, turf fairways, turf greens, and is marketed as 'Evergreen' and a place to learn to play. The rough is still natural grass though. So there is a start, perhaps one day someone will build a full size one, I'm not sure people will flock to them though.

I've actually played in an indoor 3 hole par 3 course in South Korea with artificial turf and fake sand bunker area using sort of like brown cushy sponge like material. I didn't go in the bunker so didn't get to check out the feel for it. I think the longest hole was 85 meters, so approximately 93 ish yards, and other two were 80 yards or so like long (short more like). It was in one of those industrial warehouse building with very high ceiling and bright lighting with no shadows casting in the playing area. Entrance fee was around $9, so $3 per hole and had great food and drink options. I say the experience was good and the players moved pretty fast with not much of hold up. However, the holes were somewhat too close to each other so I was bit nervous about getting hit by a ball. Luckily, I walked away unscathed. Also, the feel was not bad just like hitting the range mat but much better fairway like feel. I will try to look for pics and post later.

I have thought someplace would change over the greens only to artificial since that seems to be the highest cost & water / sqft to maintain. As mentioned I would expect somewhere in Asia to be the first and it would spread from there.

I have had a small Southwest green in the backyard for about 8 years and the only maintenance I've had is blowing tree debris off it. Commercial use may need to be top-dressed every year. It would need a softer layer than I have to hold shots from most golfers. I can hold a 50 yard wedge shot (max distance available in my yard) on it if I really clip it and get my max spin. But anything less than max spin will roll the 20 feet from front to back.

A fully artificial course? Maybe... I think it might make sense to do parts of the course artificially and have "real" parts elsewhere.Tee Boxes: This is probably the easiest thing to do but probably has the lowest return on investment... Have a nice tee box, give people cut off shuttle cocks instead of tees (this is what my fitting facility does on their indoor trackman). Relatively low wear and tear... probably some people upset about it, but would probably have the least overall upkeep. Par threes might be a different story.Fairways: No watering, no cutting... no bad lies, no divots to fill... I hate hitting off mats, so this would be a not awesome change for me... Also a huge investment for a club, especially one with sprinklers already installed. Might make sense for a new installment in an extreme weather climate.Greens: If you could do this correctly, I think it would probably be a great investment... I don't know of any artificial greens that will behave like a real green or how you'd move the pin around... Countours and such would be interesting... My guess is on the hole front you'd have precut holes in 9-10 spots, and movable "caps" that you pull and move the pin on a day to day basis... Benefits would be a consistent putting speed and low maintenance... I'm just not sure how regular golfers would feel about it... I've experience the disappointment of temporary greens, so a long term solution that works would be awesome... I'm just not sure the technology is there...

Honestly, I think golf simulators are more likely to take more market share. I'm pushing for them at my club, but the board doesn't see them as an investment (just a cost)

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your perspective) the tree huggers and PC brigade make such a song and dance about the (perceived) environmental benefits of real grass over artificial that I don't think there are many countries which would allow an artificial course to be built in the current socio-political climate.

While I like the idea, I feel as though simulators are the next big thing with professional simulator tours already being established in some areas.

Driver - Taylormade M2 2017 9.75*

3W - Cobra RadSpeed Draw 14.5*

5W - Callaway Epic Flash 18*

7W - Taylormade M4 5HL 21*

5H - Callaway Rogue 24*

Irons - Taylormade P790 6-PW

Wedges - TM Milled Grind 50* & 54* | Hi-Toe 60*

Putter - Nike Method Converge B1-01

Grips - MCC clone| Ball - TP5

Found a short video of a place in UAE

Driver: Sim OG 8* (-2g), Diamana ZF 40x

3wood: Sim Ti Rocket 14*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

5wood: Sim Ti @18*, SMT 3390 Tour V 50x

4i-GW: Ke4 Max (-8g), SMT Bassara 65x +1"

SW: CBX2 52*, Rotex Precision 90g wedge flex

LW: Tour Grind MG 60*

P: 2013 Scotty Cameron Newport Black, Pistolero

Grips: Lamkin Crossline 58r

Ball: TP5X 2019

The problem with greens is the wear and tear around the holes. On real grass, after about two weeks the area is about recovered. On a turf green you start getting minute imperfections and lumps and bumps, and the turf gets worn out around the hole locations. I'm not convinced they'd hold up, but I could be wrong.

Another problem with turf is it gets really hot in the sun, and can smell as well. Think of the heat shimmer on a turf range in the summer. Plus in my experience with two nearby AstroTurf ranges, they had to be replaced after about 10 years from wear and tear. I'm not saying it's impossible but there are some tradeoffs to make.

Yeah, I'm not sure how it would actually be done... That was just my thinking process on it.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

I actually bought some birdietees today... they are basically just shuttlecocks without the ball part in varying heights... tees you don’t have to put in the ground. My club is on mats only until at least April, so I needed something to tee balls up with.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

If they do, I hope they put heater coils under the fairways and greens. I'd play all winter. Just imagine having the rough be 6 inches of snow!

Better play conservative!

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1 

Agreed on the simulator comments also. I play in a local league at a local bar, some Fri/Saturdays you cant get a spot (they have 3 simulators). It's fun, doesnt beat real golf tho but an hour in a simulator in January is better than waiting 4 months to even swing a club.

There is a place called X golf in my wifes hometown of Holland, MI. TOP NOTCH simulators and a full bar/food menu. I thought about looking at franchising one here in St. Louis but never really got dove into it. Little worried too as STL doesnt have near the winters Michigan does. Last year, by time it hit 70 up there, I had about 10 rounds under my belt.