Ping i25 Driver, Fairway Woods and Hybrids: In-hand photos

GolfWRX

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1390353215' post='8505187']
I made the mistake of hitting the i25 woods tonight
they were delightful[list=1]
[*]the racing stripes are VERY subtle - almost ghost like. NOT DISTRACTING at all
[*]the OEM PWR shafts are very good (for me anyways). Much improved over last years stock offerings. Smooth smooth smooth. I hit the PWR 75X in a 8.5, 9.5, 10.5 head
[*]these things are deep ... and forgiving. I hit a few low on the heel (my miss) and it was barely off line and still went.
[*]very low spin head, not Anser low, more like G25 low maybe a tad less, like in-between G25 and Anser I'd say
[*]I found I had to go up in loft to get a high enough L/A, and normally PING I need to go down. I got my best numbers in a 9.5 head, turned to ( - ), PWR75 TOUR X flex.
[*]some of my longest drives were in the 1900-2200 spin, 15* L/A and a few touched 300 (and im not a long ball hitter)
[*]the fwy's are GORGEOUS ..... seriously now PING, you nailed these RIGHT ON THE HEAD.
[*]just like the drivers, long, low spin and forgiving
[/list]

After all this tho, Im still pretty satisfied w my current set up as numbers were very close to the i25 line.
that being said, if they mis-behave, I know I can buy an OTR i25 driver & 3w and be stoked on them

I wasnt 100% sold on this line when I first saw it, but coming from someone who played the whole i20 line of woods .... these are better - MUCH better
[/quote]I've been skeptical about this line since I've seen photos, but the ping has potential to shut me up.

@therealping

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1390356310' post='8505663']
I've been skeptical about this line since I've seen photos,[b] but the ping has potential to shut me up.[/b]
[/quote]

You're wise beyond your years.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1390148190' post='8489053']
So why did PING drop the lofts on the hybrid?

3-hybrid is now 19? And 4-hybrid is 22? What's up with that?
[/quote]

I never understood why companies label hybrids with numbers. Just call it the loft. PING calls the 19* a 19. There is no #3 on the head anywhere. Maybe it's carryover from the advent of hybrids where people didn't know what to expect from the club - and they tried to align the logic comparatively to an iron.

I never hit any manufacturers 3 hybrid the same distance that I hit a actual 3 iron. I hit (labelled) 3 hybrids considerably further.

I like when companies like PING just label the loft.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='enis750' timestamp='1390353215' post='8505187']
I wasnt 100% sold on this line when I first saw it, but coming from someone who played the whole i20 line of woods .... these are better - MUCH better
[/quote]

That's awesome. I didn't hit a fwy wood, I was just gonna get it. Good to hear they too exceeded expectations.

I love PING. :-)

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1390154847' post='8489689']
Yeah, it definitely creates gapping issues. If you go from 22 hybrid to 27 5-iron, that's a big gap.

You almost need 22 hybrid, 24 4-iron, and 27 5-iron.

It's just silly that the 22 hybrid is called a 4-iron replacement.
[/quote]

Totally agree about the hybrid gapping. I would love to have a fitter bend my g25 3-hybrid up a full degree to close the gap.

Ping bag filled with Ping clubs...

Anyone hit the hybrid yet? When I see it I keep seeing a Ping version of the old tour issue Idea Pro (the halo) from Adams. This is the best hybrid pretty much ever made so I was hoping this was simply the Ping version of it.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I took a picture of the racing stripes so you can see how subtle they are. My bay is VERY dimly lit so I increased the exposure on the picture just a little bit, thereby making the stripes actually stick out more. On the original pic you would've had a hard time seeing the lines.

To me, what I see is a thin white line through the center that angles to my view no matter my posture. It's very subtle and honestly, maybe it's just because it's PING, but I like them quite a bit now. I thought I would hate them. I virtually pouted to the PING rep when I saw the first pics.

BetdKLnCIAA2Tgh.jpg

[quote name='greenadam21' timestamp='1390535009' post='8521209']
I actually like the stripes. I'm curious to hear how this measures up against other offerings this year.
[/quote]

I would be interested in this also, ive over looked ping since I had a set of g5 irons, which where not good for my game.....Gaming some Anser woods and quite frankly, some of the best peforming ive ever had.

interesting to see how it stacks up against the other OEMS and the anser line.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='etotheo' timestamp='1390489168' post='8516049']
Yeah, it definitely creates gapping issues. If you go from 22 hybrid to 27 5-iron, that's a big gap.

[/quote]

Totally agree about the hybrid gapping. I would love to have a fitter bend my g25 3-hybrid up a full degree to close the gap.
[/quote]I believe the answer is the Adams DHy 24 Hybrid for a 4i replacement (38.75"). It felt great off the deck (indoors) and tee. I didn't pull the trigger a few months back because I was going in for shoulder surgery but I'm heading to GS tomorrow to hit it again against my 4i. Either way it was easier to hit and felt better.

Ping i25 9.5 PWR 75 Stiff/ Rapture 13 3W
Ping i25 15 3W PWR 75 Stiff
Ping i25 19h PWR 80 Stiff
Callaway Apex 5 - AW KBS Tour-V Stiff
Ping Tour Gorge 54WS and Nike VR 60TS
Ping Scottsdale TR Senita B

I am going to give this driver a test for sure. I like my G25 but I like the shape of the i25 better in these pictures. I think these stripes might be beneficial for me too. If it spins way low, then I may go up in loft and launch it a touch higher if the spin stays way down, that is the ultimate combo. I want 14* launch with 2000 spin, bombs away.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1390609505' post='8526509']
I am going to give this driver a test for sure. I like my G25 but I like the shape of the i25 better in these pictures. I think these stripes might be beneficial for me too. If it spins way low, then I may go up in loft and launch it a touch higher if the spin stays way down, that is the ultimate combo. I want 14* launch with 2000 spin, bombs away.
[/quote]

Try the Anser, it will give you that, though it launches a touch low.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

I had a full Ping fitting today at Ping headquarters (Canada)... the i25 strong 3 is easily the best 3-wood I've had in my hands, period. Its size, shape, finish, and even the stripes (which I had reservations about) were perfect to my eye. I was equally surprised/impressed with the stock PWR shaft. After trying a few different combinations of shaft, flex, and loft, we settled on the Tour X-flex 75 and set the 14 degree head in the "-" position. I was thoroughly, thoroughly impressed, so now after sorting out the 3-wood, it was on to the driver.

We began with an 8.5 head and the 75 Tour X-flex shaft. It didn't take long for us to see that this combo was waaay too low spin for me, so we decided to try out the 9.5 head next (same shaft). While this set up was certainly better, I still didn't generate enough spin to make this a winner. It wasn't until we put together the 75 Tour S-flex and 9.5 head that I got good numbers and solid results. In the end however, I wasn't as excited by Ping's i25 driver as I'd been with their i25 3-wood. Its size and shape were nice, the sound/feel were good (when struck well), but most importantly... we didn't find markedly better performance with i25 D than my current Titleist 910D3 set ups (8.5 Kiyoshi White 75X & 9.75 ATTAS 5GoGo 7TS). I also experienced that the racing stripes were more noticeable at address, and less helpful toward their stated intention of alignment (I think this has to do with the bigger size and curvature of the crown).

One thing I didn't try out, was i25 hybrid. In my hands the headshape looked great, but I don't really play hybrids much anymore, so hitting them wasn't on my radar. In hindsight I probably should have, perhaps another time :-)

Titleist.

[/quote]

Agreed. I replaced my 4 iron with a 27* g25 hybrid and still hit it at ~10 yards further carry than my 4 iron.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Hit the 19* i25 hybrid yesterday at a demo day and it was amazing. Bought one on the spot. Love the more compact shape of the head. By far the best hybrid I have ever hit. So easy to hit and the feel and sound were great. The ball exploded off the face.

The lofts are a little funky and I was looking to replace a 21* hybrid I hit around 200-210. The 19* was carrying around 235. So I went with the 22* then my 4 iron is 24*. I hit my 5 wood around 225-235 and I'm thinking of also buying the 19* to replace that.

I really can't say enough how much I loved this hybrid and I recommend everyone give it a shot.

I didn't think it was possible, but the fairways actually managed to improve quite a bit from the awesome i20.

CALLAWAY GBB - 9* Aldila Rogue I/O 60 X
TEE E8 Beta - 13* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S
TEE CBX hybrid - 16* HZRDUS 6.0
TEE EX9 Tour hybrid - 18* Recoil 780 ES S
WILSON FG Tour V4 - 4-P DG Pro S
TITLEIST Vokey SM6 - 52.12 F
Indi Golf Stingray TT 58*
EXOTICS DG-v 1.2

I liked the pics but was skeptical of the racing stripes. Well, that skepticism has been dashed. The driver and fw's are simply perfect in their appearance. The racing stripes are much better than the old alignment aid and not obnoxious at all. Both feel excellent and are much more forgiving than the i20. The hybrid is simply gorgeous as well. Ping never fails to impress.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

[quote name='Konklifer' timestamp='1390798158' post='8541009']
I liked the pics but was skeptical of the racing stripes. Well, that skepticism has been dashed. The driver and fw's are simply perfect in their appearance. The racing stripes are much better than the old alignment aid and not obnoxious at all. Both feel excellent and are much more forgiving than the i20. The hybrid is simply gorgeous as well. Ping never fails to impress.
[/quote]

Well spoken Konklifer..I couldn't agree more with your assessment.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1390782884' post='8539297']
Hit the 19* i25 hybrid yesterday at a demo day and it was amazing. Bought one on the spot. Love the more compact shape of the head. By far the best hybrid I have ever hit. So easy to hit and the feel and sound were great. The ball exploded off the face.

The lofts are a little funky and I was looking to replace a 21* hybrid I hit around 200-210. The 19* was carrying around 235. So I went with the 22* then my 4 iron is 24*. I hit my 5 wood around 225-235 and I'm thinking of also buying the 19* to replace that.

I really can't say enough how much I loved this hybrid and I recommend everyone give it a shot.
[/quote]

Nice one! I've been thinking of doing the same as you. Getting the 22* as the next Club up from my 24* S55 4 iron. Hybrids will always fly that bit farther, so like you, it should give me the gapping I want. Did you find the 19* easy enough to elevate?

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1390815728' post='8541727']
[quote name='moose557' timestamp='1390782884' post='8539297']

[/quote]

Nice one! I've been thinking of doing the same as you. Getting the 22* as the next Club up from my 24* S55 4 iron. Hybrids will always fly that bit farther, so like you, it should give me the gapping I want. Did you find the 19* easy enough to elevate?
[/quote]

Absolutely! It was so easy to get up in the air. I don't know if my swing was really on that day or if the club is that easy to hit. The 19* was so easy to hit I'm interested in finding and demoing a 17* and see how I hit that and where it would fit in with my distance gaps. I was thinking 19* to replace the 5 wood but want to see how I hit and the distance of the 17*.

The i25 will get a look and a demo, but it's gonna have to be really good to seriously challenge my R1.

TSr 2, 11 driver, Tensei Blue, 55r

TSi 2, 16.5 fairway wood, Tensei Blue, 65r

Aerojet, 21 fairway wood, Kai’li Blue, 65r
Qi10 22 hybrid, Ventus Blue, 65r
AP3, 5-48* - Steelfiber i95 r
Vokey SM9 - 52, 56, KBS Tour lite
Evnroll ER2,  33"