Who would try a 15 in. cup?

pkwilli1999

It's all relative, if the cup were bigger your expectations would just be different, the people with good short games would just make the same percentage more in putts than those with bad short games. Imagine what it would do to your psyche if you started yipping putts with a large hole? How would you gain a handicap? How would you compare yourself to other players using a regulation cup? Think how much more difficult it would be mentally when playing a regulation hole.......

Personally I think the idea is silly.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

The 15-inch cup should only be used for teaching juniors and introducing beginners too the game (and for that I think it would be a great tool, much like the quick start program than now exists for tennis).

Once you start actually playing golf, a 15-inch cup puts WAY too much emphasis on length. As a single digit handicap of moderate length, I love the fact that I can compete with players that hit the ball significantly farther than I do if my short-game is sharp enough. Anything that cheapens the value of being able to make that 5-6 footer to save your par is bad in my book.

Although I haven't used a 15-inch cup exactly, my couple of experiences with a larger cup suggest that for a decent golfer it would totally eliminate three putts (short misses), and make mid-range 10-20 footers too easy.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist 917 F2 16.5 at C1 (15.75) - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 5.5
Titleist TSR2 21 at C3 (22) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

[quote name='pkwilli1999' timestamp='1398091243' post='9136069']
Have you played said course and did you score better than usual?

Patrick
[/quote]

Played there once years ago when the kids were little. Don't remember what I shot (but I don't remember what I shot this past Saturday either, so, there's that).

I think for the youngsters, it's a great way to learn the game. But please don't brag about an ace there...

X________________________________ Sign Here

I would think that the part of the game that is the hardest and frustrates beginners the most is hitting the longer clubs. What good is a larger cup if the average beginner is slicing into the woods off of every tee? Ok, so he chips in for an 8 after losing two balls OB, great, that was really fun!!

Bigger hole would just mean lower scores but does a 2 vs. 1 putt really change the whole experience for a beginner? To them, putting is the one part of the game where they can feel comfortable.

I'd give it a shot. Would be great for beginners who are getting to the green in already over par and just need to get it down and move on.

I think the soccer golf idea has better legs though (*wink*). Use an alternate goal near the green - no equipment cost (well a ball) and gives a great way for non-golfers to play along side golfers. Could do the same by allowing the Frisbee golfers to use the same course.

They tried this on tour in the 30's. The result? the best short game players had an even bigger advantage then before. Paul Runyan won a tour event with 6 inch holes by 9 shots I believe.

We did it for a week at our course in Calgary 15 years ago. 6600 yards and 12 inch holes. I shot in the 50's 3 out of 5 rounds. I don't know how much it would matter for a high handicap but for a low handicap, it makes the game ridiculously easy. I was chipping in 2-4 times per round and 10 footers were pretty much gimmies. I'm not sure about the slow play thing. Might speed up around the greens a bit but lost balls and beer runs add more time then putting in my experience.

I think you could sell golf to the masses on TV a lot easier if the holes were huge. So many hole outs and hole in ones it would be silly. There would be 10 shots holed from outside 100 yards every day. No clubhouse lead would be safe. You could be 4 back with 4 to go and possibly win by 2! The potential for crazy lead swings would be huge and the impossible shot would always be possible. A lot of potential fans might like the excitement...

Another way to look at this is that in the beginning, there was only one set of tees on every course. There was so much resistance to adding tees because people would think that their round wouldn't really count from the shorter tees. Well the slope/course rating took care of that and over time people got used to the idea.

What if you put two flags on each green. There could be two different ratings based on hole sizes. Just like playing from the shorter tees.

It could be worked out but there would be an adjustment time where people would have to check their egos.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1397834469' post='9118951']
[quote name='sharkiesj' timestamp='1397759379' post='9113155']
Played at the TM sponsored testing spot at [b]Pauma Valley CC[/b] with 15 inch cups about a month ago. It was really a fun day! Really a blast. Not as easy as you'd think. The one thing that stood out was pace of play. Done in little over 3 hours. Awesome. Those complaining about not being challenging enough do have a point but you're missing the big picture.

This isn't about you. It's about growing the game. That's all Mark King wants. Of course he wants to move merchandise but its more about growing the game. The game takes way way way too long. The other thing we had to do was put sand in the cups. The cups are so big that balls would just pop right back out if sand wasn't put in them to keep the balls in..
[/quote]
You played at a private country club. Three+ hours is pretty normal for a private club using regulation size holes. Not the best example.
Go to a muni at 10AM on a Saturday, and if 15 inch cups take it from 5 hours down to 3, you'll have something.
[/quote]

Uh.. No. Try again. Huge event. KPs, LDs, free giveaways, drinks, food, try that at any other private club it'll take 5 hours.

In my opinion, people are viewing it wrong. It would be an entry level game. Something between putt putt and real golf.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I saw a comment from Justin Rose about his 5 year old not taking an interest in the game and thinking 15 inch cups would help.
Maybe he just isn't ready? Kids need the attention span for this game.

For what its worth, I never even thought of a bigger cup ever growing up playing this game from age 6. It was just the cup and the challenge was getting the ball in the hole. I didn't feel entitled to a larger cup. (Gawd I sound old and all Bushwoody and I am NOT at all!) ha!

This 15 inch cup thing is like every kid getting their trophy once again just for showing up. Golf breeds character. Changing it to be easier changes that instantly.
Whatever happened to this First Tee ideal of perserverance, honesty, patience, etc.?

<p>[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1397748925' post='9111833']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bdjmohab2%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1397747984' post='9111695']
Really, [b]even my hacker friends are capable of two putting pretty much everything.[/b] It's the getting there in a decent amount of strokes which seems to be the killer for them. Plus putting is the one strong point of my game that is well above average. I'd be pretty pissed to be equalized to the rest of the field, just because they can't hit the ocean if they fall of the deck of their boat.
[/quote]

I'll be honest, I find this hard to believe.
[/quote]

<p>[quote name='bub72ck' timestamp='1397748925' post='9111833']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3Bdjmohab2%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1397747984' post='9111695']
Really, [b]even my hacker friends are capable of two putting pretty much everything.[/b] It's the getting there in a decent amount of strokes which seems to be the killer for them. Plus putting is the one strong point of my game that is well above average. I'd be pretty pissed to be equalized to the rest of the field, just because they can't hit the ocean if they fall of the deck of their boat.
[/quote]

I'll be honest, I find this hard to believe.
[/quote]

It's an interesting idea. And if the people who are proponents are really doing it in order to grow the game and get kids and families involved, then I do believe that it's a worthy effort.

I do however think that there is a far better proposal that is starting to get a little traction. [url="http://vimeo.com/36625538"] U. S. Kids is doing something that I think will not only bring kids and families to the game, but also keeps the integrity of the game more intact. Check out this link.[/url]

(The video that I am linking to is a 6 minute video that shows what can be done with installing a better graduated tee system to have tee boxes for all skill levels.)

I am a big fan of this system and would love to see it get some momentum. I am only just starting to hear about this system, and I already think that it does more for the growth of the game AND still will keep purists pleased. Not to mention that it could completely reinvent the whole handicapping system too.

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1398367792' post='9162559']
Why not!!! Well, let's just continue to dumb down the game like we do in all other aspects of our society. I feel a rant coming on, so I will just say "no."
[/quote]

Rant on brother, RANT. ON. I have a feeling I know where it's heading (I'm sure 'participation trophies' would be thrown in there somewhere) and I'd be in complete agreement with you. I just like knowing there are in fact others out there that think like I do ;)

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

I've played a course that had both a regulation cup and a 15 inch cup on each green.

15 inch cup is perhaps the lamest idea to speed up the game or bring new people to the sport. If anyone thinks that people don't like golf because the hole is too small, and not because they can't get the ball in the air, hit a fairway or shell out $60 a pop, well then I have some land I need to sell you.

You want 15 inch holes for newbies? Build more short par 3 courses and use both regulation and 15 inchers.

[quote name='paztormike' timestamp='1398372755' post='9163277']
It's an interesting idea. And if the people who are proponents are really doing it in order to grow the game and get kids and families involved, then I do believe that it's a worthy effort.

I do however think that there is a far better proposal that is starting to get a little traction. [url="http://vimeo.com/36625538"] U. S. Kids is doing something that I think will not only bring kids and families to the game, but also keeps the integrity of the game more intact. Check out this link.[/url]

(The video that I am linking to is a 6 minute video that shows what can be done with installing a better graduated tee system to have tee boxes for all skill levels.)

I am a big fan of this system and would love to see it get some momentum. I am only just starting to hear about this system, and I already think that it does more for the growth of the game AND still will keep purists pleased. Not to mention that it could completely reinvent the whole handicapping system too.
[/quote]

This is also a really great idea, then anyone could play the same course together

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2