2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf is dying: "lost 5 million players in the last decade... another 5 million will quit in the next

Yellow Jacket

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ctmason_98' timestamp='1415306906' post='10407383'][quote name='Hutchi15' timestamp='1415306298' post='10407329']
Golf will forever stay popular - shouldn't be worried as I am not one of the major companies
[/quote]

So the solution all along is to redefine "popular." Got it.[/quote] glad we are on the same page

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Soloman1' timestamp='1398259762' post='9150471']
Some parts of the world have become Twitterized -- people thinking everything in their life has to be compressed into something easy, simple and short. No deep thoughts allowed.

If the playing population decreases, so what? The number of courses, or prices will adapt to the market like all services. Golf courses with smart management will improve the course and service to increase or maintain market share. Courses that don't will lose.

There are too many courses like this: poorly run with is no sense of service at all. A poorly paid person behind the counter takes your money with a frown, the carts are dirty or need maintenence, the course is maintained at the lowest possible level acceptable, no water, no ball washers, no raked traps, untrained grass cutters who buzz around you on the tees like hornets, cups that haven't been moved in weeks, untrained greenskeeping staff, a lousy hotdog served by a chain-smoking old grumpy woman, nowhere to clean your shoes, dirty bathrooms, uneven tee areas, dirty, expensive range balls that have to be hit off mats that looked like used carpet from a mobile home.

Maybe the game and courses could use some thinning out? :)
[/quote]

Well put... the contraction in golf shouldn't be viewed as a bad thing, necessarily. The sport is simply a function of the laws of supply and demand - and with every economic model, there is always a certain "cleansing" following any downturn.

Look at squash, or sailing. Neither or those sports are growing and the guys and gals who participate are more than happy to play or compete.

Does golf "owe" us something?

Like others, I haven't been in this thread for a while. I see I haven't missed anything. You all are still applying mouth to mouth.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo, Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 TMB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SM10 F52.12, T58.4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

To all these guys who wanna play as a single and book as a single during prime time are you high? Who would want that? A single waiting all dat for the foursome ahead. Nobody smart would even think of this.
Wake up early or play late if you're a single.
Golf can't be going that poorly when courses are refusing singles.
Singles have no business coming to the course during prime time far as I can say. I play often as a single but I do off peak times cuz I hate slow play. There's times when I do the prime time slow foursome game too and that's a different aspect of golf. You wanna be a single get up before dawn or play afternoons that's the real way.

See ball hit ball
KISS

Perhaps it's a generational shift? It just seems like millenials are just not into golf like their dads and granddads were.

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

I'm confused. You guys go out as singles and refuse being paired with people? Or, are some of you saying, that you insist that the starter doesn't let a single on with you despite the fact that you didn't bring a foursome?

I think my local would laugh in your face. Rightfully so.

What's the big deal about playing golf with a stranger? Are you in the mafia? Discussing hits you're putting out on people? It's not a long-term relationship, it's a round of golf. I've quit playing one semi-private (aka fully public) course because the cranky old farts don't ever want to combine groups. Talking about an invitation for slow play.

[quote name='Hoganstriker' timestamp='1418099025' post='10565763']
To all these guys who wanna play as a single and book as a single during prime time are you high? Who would want that? A single waiting all dat for the foursome ahead. Nobody smart would even think of this.
Wake up early or play late if you're a single.
Golf can't be going that poorly when courses are refusing singles.
Singles have no business coming to the course during prime time far as I can say. I play often as a single but I do off peak times cuz I hate slow play. There's times when I do the prime time slow foursome game too and that's a different aspect of golf. You wanna be a single get up before dawn or play afternoons that's the real way.
[/quote]

Huh? It must be sweet to have a life schedule that allows you to go out during off-peak times. I play as a single all the time, but would never expect to go out as a single during prime time. When a course allows a single to book online or by calling the pro shop, I will always ask to be paired with a twosome or threesome. As you note, I hate being a single stuck behind a pack of foursomes, although it has happened on occasion. When it does, I simply play two balls, and/or spend time around the green working on my short game.

In my experience, some courses know how to cater to singles. As such, more singles book there, so they are rarely playing solo. OTOH, there are many courses that discourage singles, i.e. not allowed to book online, and then the courses b*tch that their tee sheet is less than full. Boo hoo.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

To anyone that thinks they should be able to play golf as a 3-some, 2-some or single; 'you' are part of the problem. And if any course lets golfers dictate tee groupings, they too are part of the problem.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1418141402' post='10567185']
To anyone that thinks they should be able to play golf as a 3-some, 2-some or single; 'you' are part of the problem. And if any course lets golfers dictate tee groupings, they too are part of the problem.
[/quote]

Agreed. I sometimes wind up playing solo, but I certainly never go to a course and expect to be playing as a single. Of course, having less than a foursome does happen on occasion, but it certainly shouldn't be expected on a busy day. 'Off peak, maybe.

For the most part I've had very good experiences as a single joining a twosome or threesome. However, on rare occasions I've felt like I was Typhoid Mary when the starter informed the group that I'd be joining them. As others have noted, if you want to avoid having a single join you, then either get a 4th, or pay for the empty 4th slot.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1418142611' post='10567287']
[/quote]

Agreed. I sometimes wind up playing solo, but I certainly never go to a course and expect to be playing as a single. Of course, having less than a foursome does happen on occasion, but it certainly shouldn't be expected on a busy day. 'Off peak, maybe.

For the most part[u] I've had very good experiences as a single joining a twosome or threesome[/u]. However, on rare occasions I've felt like I was Typhoid Mary when the starter informed the group that I'd be joining them. As others have noted, if you want to avoid having a single join you, then either get a 4th, or pay for the empty 4th slot.
[/quote]

I often play as a single too, especially when traveling. When home, four or five courses know me and my game, so when I call in, they put me with others, even though its not commonly done. The only time I recall feeling like Typhoid Mary was a few years back they put me with 3 elderly (close to my age), unfriendly, culturally different men. After tee shots their unfriendly behavior made it clear, they wished I wasn't playing with them or blue tees, when they were playing whites and my drivers flew a few of theirs. I don't get people that think somehow they are entitled and or should be able to play by themselves and or act like children.

There are no excuses, golfers are 'suppose' to be friendly and accommodating. If they are not, they should take up another game that's more fitting to their maturity level; 'horse' comes to mind. :)

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1418148197' post='10567761']
[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1418142611' post='10567287']
[/quote]

For the most part[u] I've had very good experiences as a single joining a twosome or threesome[/u]. However, on rare occasions I've felt like I was Typhoid Mary when the starter informed the group that I'd be joining them. As others have noted, if you want to avoid having a single join you, then either get a 4th, or pay for the empty 4th slot.
[/quote]

I often play as a single too, especially when traveling. When home, four or five courses know me and my game, so when I call in, they put me with others, even though its not commonly done. The only time I recall feeling like Typhoid Mary was a few years back they put me with 3 elderly (close to my age), unfriendly, culturally different men. After tee shots their unfriendly behavior made it clear, they wished I wasn't playing with them or blue tees, when they were playing whites and my drivers flew a few of theirs. I don't get people that think somehow they are entitled and or should be able to play by themselves and or act like children.

There are no excuses, golfers are 'suppose' to be friendly and accommodating. If they are not, they should take up another game that's more fitting to their maturity level; 'horse' comes to mind. :)
[/quote]

I've almost always enjoyed joining other groups and meeting new folks. I've golfed with people from all walks of life, from school kids on up to surgeons and NASA engineers. The only time I found the people I got paired with to be intolerable was a couple of guys that couldn't stop saying racist crap. I picked up my ball from the middle of the 3rd fairway said "I gotta go" and walked over to the 4th tee.

The pro who runs our local city owned course can count us 12 old guys 3 times a week and even todays 40 degrees, he charges us the walking rate even tho we ride in carts.this reduced rate is why we only play here, they plan on staying open this winter as long as we have no snow..they realize 100 players at a reduced rate is better the 20 at regular green fees, we also buy our golf balls, shoes, shirts at a discount instead of buying at dicks, if other courses did this they wont see there lost of players and wont need to close..

[quote name='mcshooter' timestamp='1418691424' post='10598425']
The pro who runs our local city owned course can count us 12 old guys 3 times a week and even todays 40 degrees, he charges us the walking rate even tho we ride in carts.this reduced rate is why we only play here, they plan on staying open this winter as long as we have no snow..they realize 100 players at a reduced rate is better the 20 at regular green fees, we also buy our golf balls, shoes, shirts at a discount instead of buying at dicks, if other courses did this they wont see there lost of players and wont need to close..
[/quote]

Thats a great deal and congrats for returning the quid pro quo.

But I disagree with your hypothesis. If "everyone" did the same as your present course - I bet they lose business...b/c the price of golf would normalize at the lower price of golf and equipment, and you guys would have the luxury of additional choices.

"If everyone did the same..." is what turns any product into a generic commodity, at which point price--and price alone--becomes the determining factor in the purchase.

If that happened, all golf courses would be focused on offering the lowest prices.

If a price war broke out, a significant number of courses would go out of business.

The remaining courses, because there is now a more demand for their services (fewer courses, but same number of golfers/customers) would raise their prices.

So, if everyone did the same as your favorite course, it would eventually result in higher prices.

[quote name='Lime Shark' timestamp='1418747215' post='10600925']
"If everyone did the same..." is what turns any product into a generic commodity, at which point price--and price alone--becomes the determining factor in the purchase.

If that happened, all golf courses would be focused on offering the lowest prices.

If a price war broke out, a significant number of courses would go out of business.

The remaining courses, because there is now a more demand for their services (fewer courses, but same number of golfers/customers) would raise their prices.

So, if everyone did the same as your favorite course, it would eventually result in higher prices.
[/quote]

This is absolutely short-sighted. If the market was going to find equilibrium before with a price war, then those same conditions will prevent prices from going up again. As soon as prices start to rise, competitors come in to try to get some of the market share and prices fall again.

There is always a price war going on, really. It all depends on what kind of service the customers want. I know personally I want zero service, just a good course in good condition. I want no "amenities"...even the clubhouse is unnecessary. Just give me a shack to pay at and a course to walk that is in good shape.

[quote name='jewofgolf' timestamp='1418748805' post='10601045']

[/quote]

This is absolutely short-sighted. If the market was going to find equilibrium before with a price war, then those same conditions will prevent prices from going up again. As soon as prices start to rise, competitors come in to try to get some of the market share and prices fall again.

There is always a price war going on, really. It all depends on what kind of service the customers want. I know personally I want zero service, just a good course in good condition. I want no "amenities"...even the clubhouse is unnecessary. Just give me a shack to pay at and a course to walk that is in good shape.
[/quote]

This may not be realistic in some areas either. Having been involved in the running of the golf course for 5yrs the bar sales subsidized the maintenance of the golf course by a large percentage. We would not have been able to charge the memberships/greens fees to fully pay for course operation/maintenance. I'm other courses would e in the same position.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yet, its how capitalism and supply and demand works. Expecting or including other wishes that don't factor into supply and demand, speaks to idealism. And, your assumption regarding price wars is wrong. Golf courses are still businesses... each with a charter/business plan that defines what, when, where and how. Though nearby courses can influence pricing, the extent of pricing is decided by business plan perimeters, profits and the owners wish. Those without business plans, eventually go out of business, including courses with just shacks. Why, because the majority of golfers want more than a barn, and like me, willing to pay more.

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[/quote]

[/quote]

Ha ha - the "...in good shape" is the most expensive part of running a golf course. Short lush fairways and true greens cost, baby!

Y'all did notice the first line of my post didn't you?

[quote]"If everyone did the same..." is what turns any product into a [b]generic commodity[/b], at which point price--and price alone--becomes the determining factor in the purchase.[/quote]

The previous poster had recommended that everyone run their course the same way as his favorite course.

Obviously, it's more effective for courses to take a niche marketing approach. Each course tailoring it's marketing plan to a segment of the market.

[quote name='From_Parts_Unknown' timestamp='1398269710' post='9151751']
Golf has been around for hundreds of years. Golf is going to be just fine, the equipment companies are screwed.

What blows my mind is the arrogance of the people who think they can control an industry. Meddling is what got golf in trouble in the first place. Golf is over regulated as it is. We should really just leave golf alone. The PGA, R&A, TMAG, and especially the USGA are so self important. They all have to "save" golf. Are they kidding? That's the most arrogant thing I've heard. Save golf?

Golf doesn't need saving. These guys don't care about Golf, not in the abstract they don't. What they're concerned with is a bottom line, their own financial statement. People that are narrow and unenlightened don't impress me and it's hard to get behind their cause. Compared to the golf companies, Golf is doing great. Like I said, it's been here for hundreds of years. How long has TMAG been around? Since 1979? That's pretty conceded to think Hack Golf can save a game that has existed for hundreds of years. And this goes for all of the golf companies that meddle, I'm just using TMAG as the low hanging fruit example.

Think about how many golf companies have come and gone, but yet Golf is still here.

How long has American football been around? How about basketball? Maybe those are the sports that need to be saved so that they can one day be centuries old like Golf.

Golf has survived Protestant Reform, The Great Plague, King Henry VIII, The General Crisis, The Napoleonic Wars, The Industrial Revolution, Marxism, WW1, the great depression, and WW2, yet people think a 4.25" hole is going to destroy golf? Golf is just going through a period of self correction. It was never meant to be as popular as it has become. The adjustment doesn't mean golf is dying, it just means the sport is becoming more healthy. Golf will be around long after everyone on this website is gone.
[/quote]

Golf has been around for hundreds of years. Golf is going to be just fine, the equipment companies are screwed.

What blows my mind is the arrogance of the people who think they can control an industry. Meddling is what got golf in trouble in the first place. Golf is over regulated as it is. We should really just leave golf alone. The PGA, R&A, TMAG, and especially the USGA are so self important. They all have to "save" golf. Are they kidding? That's the most arrogant thing I've heard. Save golf?

Golf doesn't need saving. These guys don't care about Golf, not in the abstract they don't. What they're concerned with is a bottom line, their own financial statement. People that are narrow and unenlightened don't impress me and it's hard to get behind their cause. Compared to the golf companies, Golf is doing great. Like I said, it's been here for hundreds of years. How long has TMAG been around? Since 1979? That's pretty conceded to think Hack Golf can save a game that has existed for hundreds of years. And this goes for all of the golf companies that meddle, I'm just using TMAG as the low hanging fruit example.

Think about how many golf companies have come and gone, but yet Golf is still here.

How long has American football been around? How about basketball? Maybe those are the sports that need to be saved so that they can one day be centuries old like Golf.

Golf has survived Protestant Reform, The Great Plague, King Henry VIII, The General Crisis, The Napoleonic Wars, The Industrial Revolution, Marxism, WW1, the great depression, and WW2, yet people think a 4.25" hole is going to destroy golf? Golf is just going through a period of self correction. It was never meant to be as popular as it has become. The adjustment doesn't mean golf is dying, it just means the sport is becoming more healthy. Golf will be around long after everyone on this website is gone.
[/quote]

Best post on this site, ever.

[quote name='RiskyBusiness' timestamp='1419220046' post='10626835']

[/quote]

Best post on this site, ever.
[/quote]

Agree. It's too great a sport to die. But only time can tell. Face to face combat used to be the norm for years. Now backstabbing seems to be the norm. :)

I play as a single during the week quite frequently. Here is what irks me. Call up, say do you have a tee time I can have within the next hour? Answer, well I have three open tee times but you can't have one because you are a single. Me: Well I'm not driving all that way without a tee time goodbye, enjoy bankruptcy.

Other scenario: Course is empty, five open tee times. One other single, he wants to join me. Excuse me? There are five other tee times, go in front of me, go behind me, I don't care. Oh no, I don't like playing alone. Well I DO, especially if I don't know the person. Too many personality issues crop up that invariably ruin my zen.

If I show up to a crowded course, or on a weekend I know what to expect. But if I'm calling and your course is empty, and you can't cater to my needs then just forget it.

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1418105516' post='10566049']
Perhaps it's a generational shift? It just seems like millenials are just not into golf like their dads and granddads were.
[/quote]

I haven't read through all 27 pages of this thread, and apologies if this has already been mentioned, but I do believe it IS a generational shift, but for reason other than the common ones that are brought up, e.g., time, cost, etc.

Professional sports oftentimes drive the popularity of a sport, and key players of all sports inspire the average person to try those sports (read: Tiger Woods). However, golf has been and will forever be a game that does not require it's participants to be athletic, but rather skilled. In other popular sports, e.g., football, baseball, basketball, soccer, etc., participants are athletic, and they LOOK athletic. Men want to play those sports because it rewards athletic training with an athletic body. I'd venture to guess that 99% of professional golfers wouldn't be comfortable posing as a fitness model, whereas you often see baseball players, football players, hockey players, soccer players, and so on plastered on magazine covers.

No one can deny that sex sells. If the general female population does not consider the average professional golfer an athlete whom they'd want to rip the collared shirt from, then the young male population will likely pick a different sport that attracts more female attention. The average kid in middle or high school isn't going to pick golf unless he's directly exposed to it, i.e., forced to play it by his parents.

Bottom line, to put it bluntly, is that young people, i.e., men, don't take up golf because it doesn't get them laid. Who does the head cheerleader date? The captain of the football team, not the captain of the golf team.

Just a thought...

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

I loved the post about the single being asked if he had a tee time on a wide open course. I play 3-4 times a week and I haven't made a tee time in 4 years. Sometimes when I walk on they ask me if I have a tee time and I turn and point to the desolate vista on 1 and 10 as the crickets chirp and answer, "Why bother?". Twice in 2014 I played on days the course was open and I was the ONLY golfer to show up all day.

The question of golf's ultimate survival is not the question you should be asking. You should be asking, "Will golf survive AROUND WHERE I LIVE?"

Golf has only been around my corner of civilization for 100 years, not 500 hundred. For the first 400 years it was a game played by a few Scottish shepherds, no one else. What were there -- 35 total contestants in the Open when Old Tom Morris played? Is that the kind of golf we want to return to? I hope not.

In my area 2014 was worse than 2013 and 2015 is shaping up to be worse still. One course closed when a developer went to the city with a simple plan. He said he'd carve off 50 acres and build the city a good park with ball diamonds and soccer fields, buying the rest for himself with zoning for luxury homesites. City said, "Hella good deal!", then held a hearing, no objections, gavel banged, done deal. This is the shape of things to come.

Two other local muni's just forced their head pro's to retire, promoting their assistants. They will NOT be replacing the assistants.

The county has 3 courses slated for closure and one of the three on the chopping block is probably unsaveable. It's a good links at the airport, I played there on a Thursday afternoon in August and the clubhouse was locked up. Only one staffer on duty, so when he has an errand he just leaves. Happens quite a bit, said the girl in the restaurant. I played for free. Half the water hazards were drained into caked mudflats. It's a goner.

The state tried to find a buyer/management company for the 6 fine courses it owns. No takers, so they're stuck.

Many Golfnow specials can be had at fine courses for good tee times, with cart, for under $1 per hole.

Bottom line, I predict 4 closures statewide and no new openings in 2015.

Oh yeah, things are just peachy. But hey, no waiting for tee times!