2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf is dying: "lost 5 million players in the last decade... another 5 million will quit in the next

Yellow Jacket

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP: Please continue to post messages like this. This can only be a good thing for real golfers. If we can get rid of all the clowns who have no business being on a golf course then you have served your purpose. Keep up the good work! Real golfers will always play and enjoy golf. There will always be plenty of courses to accommodate real golfers. The quicker we can get rid of those who do not belong on a golf course, the better! Do not let anything deter you from spreading your message! You are providing a great service to real golfers! :clapping:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

In my area 3 of the courses I played the most have closed. Every course is now 35-40 minutes away from my house. Seems like I know way more people who quit playing than have taken up the game.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1451581034' post='12784706']
In my area 3 of the courses I played the most have closed. Every course is now 35-40 minutes away from my house. Seems like I know way more people who quit playing than have taken up the game.
[/quote]"The world went and got itself in a bid damn hurry." Brooks 'Brooksy' Hatlen

Is anyone surprised golf is not as popular as it was after the Tiger explosion? Just like the housing bubble the growth was abnormal and was bound to burst at some point.

That being said I would bet a kings ransom that their is still more people golfing in 2015 that there was in 1995. Globally the game of golf is still bursting wide open and the Olympics is going to launch a whole new set of newbies.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

The best comment I heard was the one about an entry point for the game. I learned golf from a nine hole course on Ft.Campbell, and what has happened to that course that helped thousands learn the game, it is gone, making way for more housing. This to me is a great point, you have to open doors. The latest generation is being sucked in by games that all started in our generation, Nintendo. Who would have seen what this industry could do to our youth, horrible. Now we have had Halo for years, and the same thing. I really believe this is the reason for a lot of problems, including golf's demise to a point. As said earlier, when they get older they will start playing golf, and this is true. And just where do they go for their limited time, a par 3 golf course!

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

[quote name='platgof' timestamp='1451659531' post='12787978']
The best comment I heard was the one about an entry point for the game. I learned golf from a nine hole course on Ft.Campbell, and what has happened to that course that helped thousands learn the game, it is gone, making way for more housing. This to me is a great point, you have to open doors. The latest generation is being sucked in by games that all started in our generation, Nintendo. Who would have seen what this industry could do to our youth, horrible. Now we have had Halo for years, and the same thing. I really believe this is the reason for a lot of problems, including golf's demise to a point. As said earlier, when they get older they will start playing golf, and this is true. And just where do they go for their limited time, a par 3 golf course!
[/quote]
I agree, I grew up on Long Island with the Bethpage Park and Eisenhower Park courses at our doorsteps but the course we all went to learn the game was a 9 hole course in Melville "Hill and Tree" now long gone to upscale housing.
And the "slow play" issue today has been around since 1975

[/quote]

I agree. I started playing golf at a 9 hole state park course near work. Now that course is gone. In the county I live in there's only one golf course and it's a private country club course. The only driving range is at this CC course. So there's no place for us average folks to practice or even take up the game.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

[/quote]Yep. Today's youth are way over-stimulated through video gaming and other devices. I suppose if you could make a putting green that lit up like a dance floor when you drain one, that might attract some of them - for a while.

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1451668444' post='12788550']
[/quote]

I agree. I started playing golf at a 9 hole state park course near work. Now that course is gone. In the county I live in there's only one golf course and it's a private country club course. The only driving range is at this CC course. So there's no place for us average folks to practice or even take up the game.
[/quote]

That's really sad, and I truly feel really bad for you. For a person who really loves to play golf, that must be horrible! I live on Long Island, NY and there are approximately 75 public golf courses that I can play within a 5 to 40 min drive. Then there are probably the same number of private country clubs in the same area. We have lots of people on Long Island, (13 Million), lots of golfers (All but 2 people of the 13 million play golf....LOL), so....lots of money, and lots of golf courses to choose from. The bottom line (As I'm sure you know) is: There has to be enough regular traffic Mon-Fri as well as the usual "Crunch" on week-ends to sustain any golf course. They have to make money and turn a profit. It's a business. I know that is hard to understand when you live in a rural area and it just seems unfair. But, the only alternative is to move to a more populated area with the $$ to sustain courses. :sorry:

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='ohioglfr' timestamp='1451780880' post='12793742']
[/quote]Yep. Today's youth are way over-stimulated through video gaming and other devices. I suppose if you could make a putting green that lit up like a dance floor when you drain one, that might attract some of them - for a while.
[/quote]
Every Generation thinks the next one is the end of it all.

[quote name='Rob McHugh' timestamp='1451634972' post='12787488']
I appreciate all the above comments and agree with most but for me and a lot of players I know, it comes down to 2 words - SLOW PLAY.
[/quote]

As pinseeker said,slow play has been an issue since the 70's . There has been one constant in the 50 years that i have been playing...A round of golf will normally
take between 31/2 and 41/2 hours. It really hasn't changed that much in that time.What has changed is the number of guys who feel 4 hours takes too long.
I suspect it has to do with todays "right now" culture. I do not play on weekends,or holidays...so i seldom have a problem with slow play.When i do
it normally has been caused by the course pushing 7/8 minute tee times to grab every buck they can get.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Well, here is some information from Golf Digest Stix, 4/23/14:

According to Golf Datatech, interest in iron purchases for 2014 increased by 35%. This is up by about 9% from last year. The price golfers expect to pay is more than $700...the most in the survey's history.

The PGA Junior Golf League, which will begin its third year next month, grew by 345% in 2013, and is expected to double again this year.

One question; how much does the PGA of America make off this? I'm asking since I do not know so don't slay me. I have an opinion and that would be if the PGAA cared hey would offer "free" access to clinics for youth and perhaps even on course events for minimal fees. Young apprentices should be eager. With the tons of money they make they could subsidize clinics, especially in areas where access is limited due to high fees or simply being private. Maybe the answer is they do; but I don't think so.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

That's really sad, and I truly feel really bad for you. For a person who really loves to play golf, that must be horrible! I live on Long Island, NY and there are approximately 75 public golf courses that I can play within a 5 to 40 min drive. Then there are probably the same number of private country clubs in the same area. We have lots of people on Long Island, (13 Million), lots of golfers (All but 2 people of the 13 million play golf....LOL), so....lots of money, and lots of golf courses to choose from. The bottom line (As I'm sure you know) is: There has to be enough regular traffic Mon-Fri as well as the usual "Crunch" on week-ends to sustain any golf course. They have to make money and turn a profit. It's a business. I know that is hard to understand when you live in a rural area and it just seems unfair. But, the only alternative is to move to a more populated area with the $$ to sustain courses. :sorry:

It is what it is. What makes it worse is that I live on this country club course and I absolutely hate it here. I've wanted to move for some time. I've finally convinced the wife and daughter to move so I'm on the lookout for some land. I''m definitely not a big city person so that is out. l'm ok driving 35-40 minutes to play at a course but it would be nice to have a place to just hit golf balls.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

It is what it is. What makes it worse is that I live on this country club course and I absolutely hate it here. I've wanted to move for some time. I've finally convinced the wife and daughter to move so I'm on the lookout for some land. I''m definitely not a big city person so that is out. l'm ok driving 35-40 minutes to play at a course but it would be nice to have a place to just hit golf balls.

Where in TN do you live now?? Not your exact address ...lol...just area.

Paul

SInce I am in and out of golf over the years and my kids play off and on, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Not all kids are addicted to video games, there are also kids who are into all sorts of sports. Go to a skate park and see what golf is competeing against; or mountain biking, BMX, dirt biking etc. And here on the west coast you can toss surfing into the mix... snowboarding. While I agree that participation trophies are a joke, there are kids who are doing sports where losing is not just a score but something that can have a physical impact. And these sports can be done for a few hours.

I really think the one thing that will help will be more 9 hole courses or, at the very least, more options for only playing 9 holes. Get out and get some holes in and and you have the rest of the day. Ii's like trying to get as many holes in after work during the summer.

My kids also play Topgolf. I've never played, but they'll get a group together and have a great time.

John

Well good luck to you. FWIW, I'm just "Average Folks" too. So I understand. Up here, because we have so many people, there are lots of courses to play that are not so expensive. Hope you find a good, friendly, course with reasonable greens fees!!

Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Where in TN do you live now?? Not your exact address ...lol...just area.

Paul

I'm in Bedford County....River Bend Country Club. The biggest collection of ****** bags that could ever be thrown together.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

Golf seems pretty strong in the KC area however the CC I was a member of closed a while back. Too much competition from all the new courses that were built over the last 20 years. Lots of higher end public courses that make you feel like a CC member for a day. Lots of people doing other things. The cost of golf seems to have increased faster than the increase of average income.

a Top Golf just opened not far from there and it is packed with people of all ages and lots of non "golfers". I suppose this is a good thing as some of these people will end up playing real golf at some point but times are a change'in. People like technology and have short attention spans.

You can also play with a group of friends in the winter or after sundown. Kind of like bowling and golf combined.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I appreciate all the above comments and agree with most but for me and a lot of players I know, it comes down to 2 words - SLOW PLAY.

The biggest issue in the game. I've played a foursome, albeit good players, and everyone was par or better on the day, on a 7200 yard world class golf course in 1 hour and 45 minutes. That's 18 holes. If a foursome cannot finish a casual round in 3.5 hours, that's MUCH too slow. Anything beyond that pace, the Marshall needs to be up their Word not allowedes until they hit that pace of play.

Yes, but the average handicap in the US has an average score of about 100.

100 x 4 players = 400 shots

400 shots/18 holes = 22.2 shots per hole

Using your imperative of 3.5 hours per round, that means an average of 11.6 minutes per hole, including time between holes.

11.6 minutes per hole / 22.2 shots per hole = 30 seconds per shot, including walking/riding between shots.

But not everyone is average. The group speed is limited to the slowest player and an average group will have someone taking more than average strokes.

Speed of your round is limited to the slowest group ahead of you.

Searching for balls will add to the time. Below average skill players don't hit it so straight.

I think 3.5 hours is an unrealistic expectation, so you're setting yourself up for frustration.

Here's the kicker. The same people complaining about slow play are the same people who drive like bats out of hell to get to the next red light, where they act like a dragster driver watching the starting tree of lights, just to rush to the next light 1/4 mile down the road.

It usually turns out that the people rushing around the course only want to rush home to sit on the couch. What's the point? :)

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

The newer golfers have not been taught how to play quickly or care about those around them. Played yesterday and it took 5.25 hrs. Every hole had newbies on it that we all over the place and not playing ready golf. On top of that almost every group had music playing in at least one of their carts. Hard to play good golf when waiting 3-4 minutes between shots.

I guess I should play less often and play more expensive course.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow