2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

I HATE GOLF GALAXY!!!

BCULAW

I agree with whoever said it should be mandated that everyone work a year in retail.
Also everyone should spend a few months working in healthcare and possibly in a retail pharmacy.
"all you do is count the pills and stick them in a bottle"

Yep that's all it is.(sarcastic)

Personally I see GG and big box stores as basically self serve. If I am trying a club I am sure to get the salesperson's card if they have one. Rarely do I try and buy the same day. I will ask for the person who hleped me last time when I intend to buy. No idea if they get comission at all but I like to tell them I appreciate the help. As for shoes I see no reason for a salesperson to wait on me if all the stock is right in front of me.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mom died of brain cancer about 6 months ago. It didn't effect how I behave in Golf Galaxy when trying on shoes nor how I behave on this forum. I miss her as bad as anyone misses any loved one who's passed away but I'm pretty sure she'd rather I act in a positive manner than use it as an excuse in any way.

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

I work part time at Golfsmith and will tell you what we do to earn our paycheck. First off there is usually only two of us on the floor at one time. This is so the managers get a bigger bonus by saving on labor. Secondly everything in the store was stocked by us, there is no shipping guy who stocks the store. Finally about 5 times a day I get asked which clubs are best and can you fit me. Very few customers ask where an item is and say thanks and go.
My managers would rather I be doing all the stocking and busy work vs helping you try on 12 shoes. I spend about half my day picking up after customers like you. Clubs scattered, shoes everywhere, clothes strewn about.
The reason there is blood in the water is because it seems a lot of WRX'ers have worked retail and your behavior in that store was childish and incredibly hard on the sales staff. I am sorry for all the bad things affecting your life but taking out your frustration on some guy just trying to make a buck is pretty bad. Did you ever stop to think that some other guy did something similar and the sales associate was busy cleaning that mess?
I work at Golfsmith because I go to school and love golf. As soon as I get another non retail job I am gone. Retail is horrible. Customers want everything done for them and then haggle for $10. I have a million stories that would make you wonder why I show up there but the point is that none of the sales associates are there by choice. We just need a job and can't wait to quit there.
I guess what some posters are wanting is for you to admit your behavior wasn't as good as it could of been. Admit your error and next time ask the manager why he doesn't have more people on the floor or why he didn't help you instead of surfing the Internet in the office.
I am saying all this in a hope against hope that one time on a forum someone might realize they were wrong and just admit it and move on. It would show a tremendous amount of character amd earn tons of respect.

Without reading every post in this thread, it seems the OP is having to defend himself more than one would think. I completely in his gripe. I don't care if he is a baseball player, lawyer, or Donald Trump. The bait and switch tactic is just wrong. Clearly a picture was used to bring in sales to the store. Let's just move on and talk about something more important. Like could you use the discount for iron covers?

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

[quote name='RagingPlatypus' timestamp='1403538890' post='9558005']
I work part time at Golfsmith and will tell you what we do to earn our paycheck. First off there is usually only two of us on the floor at one time. This is so the managers get a bigger bonus by saving on labor. Secondly everything in the store was stocked by us, there is no shipping guy who stocks the store. Finally about 5 times a day I get asked which clubs are best and can you fit me. Very few customers ask where an item is and say thanks and go.
My managers would rather I be doing all the stocking and busy work vs helping you try on 12 shoes. I spend about half my day picking up after customers like you. Clubs scattered, shoes everywhere, clothes strewn about.
The reason there is blood in the water is because it seems a lot of WRX'ers have worked retail and your behavior in that store was childish and incredibly hard on the sales staff. I am sorry for all the bad things affecting your life but taking out your frustration on some guy just trying to make a buck is pretty bad. Did you ever stop to think that some other guy did something similar and the sales associate was busy cleaning that mess?
I work at Golfsmith because I go to school and love golf. As soon as I get another non retail job I am gone. Retail is horrible. Customers want everything done for them and then haggle for $10. I have a million stories that would make you wonder why I show up there but the point is that none of the sales associates are there by choice. We just need a job and can't wait to quit there.
I guess what some posters are wanting is for you to admit your behavior wasn't as good as it could of been. Admit your error and next time ask the manager why he doesn't have more people on the floor or why he didn't help you instead of surfing the Internet in the office.
I am saying all this in a hope against hope that one time on a forum someone might realize they were wrong and just admit it and move on. It would show a tremendous amount of character amd earn tons of respect.
[/quote]

For a young guy, who doesn't post much. That's a damn good post.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='Anser' timestamp='1403530957' post='9556703']
My mom died of brain cancer about 6 months ago. It didn't effect how I behave in Golf Galaxy when trying on shoes nor how I behave on this forum. I miss her as bad as anyone misses any loved one who's passed away but I'm pretty sure she'd rather I act in a positive manner than use it as an excuse in any way.
[/quote]
Sorry for your loss. Dad passed 3/26.
I'm not using any of this as an excuse, and I'm [u]very[/u] sorry to have mentioned it. But when people are flinging doo at you, and intimate things like, "are you disabled that you need help with shoes" or whatever along those lines was flung my way, you try to give people flinging the doo some cause for pause. "Why yes, I do have a lot wrong with me, thank you." And then it escalated further. And I shared more. And again, regret doing so.
So this is not about sympathy. I'm trying to point out what complete a-holes everyone acts like online. When you fling comments about, they may hit home and you never know WHAT a person has been dealing with that your crass comments might strike a nerve with. That's what happened here.

I dunno....lotta people saying how poor my behavior is, but I think the resulting posts give you all pause and material upon which to reflect. It's clean shoes. In boxes. Penny pinching and stupid retail experiences which ensue are the topic, and your GS experience paints a picture. Thank you. But it does kinda show why these stores suck so badly too. And [u]that[/u] was supposed to be the topic at hand. I think you reinforced the perception pretty well. You work there and seem to think it sucks.

This particular store I went to has been going downhill for many years. It was cumulative frustration with them. Its kinda a sad day when the two golf stores remaining in town really aren't that enjoyable to visit. And they ran everyone else off. So those saying no one is "forcing" you to go to a big box are a little off as well. I largely do not like where the golf retail landscape has gone.

Apologies to everyone for mentioning anything of my life. Let's just try to treat each other more kindly here, and I'll be sure to put shoes back on the shelf next time in the new self-serve world that we've apparently come to not only expect, but defend.

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1403541545' post='9558405']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I suspect new account to protect their identity from said employer?
[quote name='ZAP' timestamp='1403529534' post='9556481']
I agree with whoever said it should be mandated that everyone work a year in retail.
Also everyone should spend a few months working in healthcare and possibly in a retail pharmacy.
"all you do is count the pills and stick them in a bottle"

Yep that's all it is.(sarcastic)

Personally I see GG and big box stores as basically self serve. If I am trying a club I am sure to get the salesperson's card if they have one. Rarely do I try and buy the same day. I will ask for the person who hleped me last time when I intend to buy. No idea if they get comission at all but I like to tell them I appreciate the help. As for shoes I see no reason for a salesperson to wait on me if all the stock is right in front of me.
[/quote]
I worked retail. Late 80's/early 90's. Things were different back then, I got news for y'all.... like I had to mop floors AND help customers for....drumroll....$4.25 an hour.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403542016' post='9558487']
[quote name='Hateto3Putt' timestamp='1403541545' post='9558405']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I suspect new account to protect their identity from said employer?
[/quote]

Maybe, but it's still a good post. Plus, the account has been around for over a year, so not exactly 'new'. Not like he signed up for it the minute before he posted.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

If I understand things correctly, I believe Dick's & Golf Galaxy are one and the same.

In March, Dick's had a 150% Trade-in bonus going on. So I traded a 3 month old set of Mizuno JPX800's in on new Cobra Bio Cell Driver & 3 Wood. I paid $240 for the Mizzy's in Dec and Dick's gave me $411 for them in March. That got me the Cobra driver & half off the 3 wood. I added $100 cash.

I then went to another Dick's Sporting Goods(There are 5 in the Tampa Bay area) and custom ordered a Cobra Bio Cell 5-7 wood and 2-3 Hybrid, after trading in a very used set of Nike VR Pro cavity back irons, a Covert Driver & Covert 3 wood. You could only trade in 3 items at a time with a set of irons counting as one. This time I got enough to pay for the order. I received the delivery the following week.

Both Times the sales staff were more than courteous. The one at the second store that I hardly frequent even gave me a couple two ball sleeves of the Wilson Duo and a Srixon hat....very nice.

The following month, I received a $70 reward certificate.....when I went to Dick's, I purchased a $99.99 pair of Nike Free running shoes. The cashier rang up my shoes, then applied a $20 off ($10 off $50/$20 off $100 coupon) from a coupon I had, then applied my $70 Rewards certificate, leaving me with $9.99 plus tax......total cost for the Nike Frees was $10.67.....and I had an extra 100 points applied to my rewards account.

Now I don't know about you, but the staff at the of the Dick's in Tampa (Westshore, Citrus Park & Wesley Chapel) are exceptionally friendly,. extremely courteous and willing to help at any time.

Thanks Dick's sporting Goods/Golf Galaxy!

Cobra King LTD driver @12* w/Paderson Kinetix Green IMRT shaft
Cobra Bio Cell 3-4W - 16*
Cobra Bio Cell 2-3 Hybrid - 19*
Cobra King F6 4-GW w/Matrix Red Tie graphite
Bellum Winmore 707 Putter 33"
Snell MTB & Bridgestone B330RX

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403541649' post='9558429']
[quote name='Anser' timestamp='1403530957' post='9556703']
[/quote]
Sorry for your loss. Dad passed 3/26.
I'm not using any of this as an excuse, and I'm [u]very[/u] sorry to have mentioned it. But when people are flinging doo at you, and intimate things like, "are you disabled that you need help with shoes" or whatever along those lines was flung my way, you try to give people flinging the doo some cause for pause. "Why yes, I do have a lot wrong with me, thank you." And then it escalated further. And I shared more. And again, regret doing so.
So this is not about sympathy. I'm trying to point out what complete a-holes everyone acts like online. When you fling comments about, they may hit home and you never know WHAT a person has been dealing with that your crass comments might strike a nerve with. That's what happened here.

I dunno....lotta people saying how poor my behavior is, but I think the resulting posts give you all pause and material upon which to reflect. It's clean shoes. In boxes. Penny pinching and stupid retail experiences which ensue are the topic, and your GS experience paints a picture. Thank you. But it does kinda show why these stores suck so badly too. And [u]that[/u] was supposed to be the topic at hand. I think you reinforced the perception pretty well. You work there and seem to think it sucks.

This particular store I went to has been going downhill for many years. It was cumulative frustration with them. Its kinda a sad day when the two golf stores remaining in town really aren't that enjoyable to visit. And they ran everyone else off. So those saying no one is "forcing" you to go to a big box are a little off as well. I largely do not like where the golf retail landscape has gone.

Apologies to everyone for mentioning anything of my life. Let's just try to treat each other more kindly here, and I'll be sure to put shoes back on the shelf next time in the new self-serve world that we've apparently come to not only expect, but defend.
[/quote]

I think the thing that got people was that you admit you know it sucks...but then you were mad about it and made it more difficult for the guy who has to put them away.

It's not a statement against the organization, it directly impacts the guy who is making close to minimum wage and has to deal with stuff to ALSO have to put away a mess someone made because they didn't like the store.

That's how I took it, at least. Which is why I took offense to it. And I didn't mean to downplay your life, my point was just that we don't need to go down that path here, because it's not relevant to the conversation, which is that the OP tried to apply coupons himself, online, that didn't work, and he apparently didn't call anyone to ask for help or ask a store to fix it.

So, while I agree that it was a bummer he couldn't combine coupons...he could have tried to get some customer service, and this whole thing could have turned out to be a win-win situation.

^ This is a conversation about the "new economy" as much as anything relating directly to just GG. I wish people could sometimes take just a small step back and recognize the more holistc conversation going on, rather than the nuts and bolts of given scenarios. Even in this same GG, a few short years ago, it wasn't this bad. They were still very bad, but not this bad.

Coupons with exclusions are in play.
Expectations of staff and customers is in play.
What the "big box" model has done to the golf retail landscape is in play.
Why parse it down to attacking someone for leaving clean boxed shoes on a floor after having enough of all of the above mentioned?
Save such ire for those which further complicate things by trying in store and buying online. Or those that steal and inflate the price of consumer goods.
Or U.S. Chines trade relations. This is bigger than me and some boxes of shoes, or the OP and his coupons. But its more fun and easier to attack someone for something pretty small. And I've had issues with this same store more than once. I'm only a fool for giving them yet another chance.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403563727' post='9561451']
Am I the only one that's amazed that Mr. Divots still doesn't believe he did anything wrong? Even when almost everyone has pointed out he was in the wrong?
[/quote]
[b]Flip the script:[/b] why is it SOOOOOO HARD for an [i]employee[/i] to put the same shoes it was so EASY for [i]me[/i] to put back?
Did I just upend their entire day? No.
Did they mine? No.

Holy mountain out of molehill, batman. I'll keep expecting people to do SOMETHING for a paycheck, and you guys keep on accepting the new economy. I don't think your brow beating is going to change my mind. In fact, I know it won't. All it does is make me think you guys are awfully accepting of things as they are now, and that you're weird and [i]wrong[/i]. LOL!

And will America PLEASE find an adjective other than "Amazing!" Everyone sounds like a stupid Kardashian.

[quote name='diehllane' timestamp='1402871802' post='9501733']
[quote name='kal32473' timestamp='1402871697' post='9501725']
Well, as long as you buy the shoes from then place you try them on from, the fee would be a moot point....
[/quote]
A lot of people don't. They go into the store to get the fit and then go online to buy them.
[/quote]NFS. The box stores are woefully behind since this practice is common and well understood to be an issue. So get competitive or grow extinct.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403567662' post='9561883']
[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BStartzel%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403563727' post='9561451']
Am I the only one that's amazed that Mr. Divots still doesn't believe he did anything wrong? Even when almost everyone has pointed out he was in the wrong?
[/quote]
[b]Flip the script:[/b] why is it SOOOOOO HARD for an [i]employee[/i] to put the same shoes it was so EASY for [i]me[/i] to put back?
Did I just upend their entire day? No.
Did they mine? No.

Holy mountain out of molehill, batman. I'll keep expecting people to do SOMETHING for a paycheck, and you guys keep on accepting the new economy. I don't think your brow beating is going to change my mind. In fact, I know it won't. All it does is make me think you guys are awfully accepting of things as they are now, and that you're weird and [i]wrong[/i]. LOL!

And will America PLEASE find an adjective other than "Amazing!" Everyone sounds like a stupid Kardashian.
[/quote]

Sadly, your inability to take any personal responsibility for your actions is far too common in society.

^^^ Sadly our society has become one full of victims with no responsibility or accountability for their actions.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1403567662' post='9561883']

[/quote]

Amazing isn't strong enough ...how about
Un-FNG-believable !!
No one is attacking you man, they are trying to help you
Help you to see that you're in the wrong and out of line. Help you correct the error in your ways.
But you want to keep blaming others, making excuses to try and justify your behavior, and playing the victim.

Weather or not you want to believe it, the facts are that you and the the OP were both out of line.
And you got told so, on multiple occasions, by multiple people.

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1403574028' post='9562729']
^^^ Sadly our society has become one full of victims with no responsibility or accountability for their actions.
[/quote]THIS is the most accurate post on the page!

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

OP I feel your pain the coupons are misleading but damn dude you could have called someone at GG to work out the details.

Mr.divots please take a step back and read some of your first posts in this thread. You admitted to having wide feet and shoes are difficult to find. This doesn't seem new to you so why would you try on 12 pairs of shoes only to be disappointed. Zappos has golf shoes....and probably in your size....order like 3-5 pairs of different brands and styles you like. Try them on in the comfort of your own home and send back the ones that don't fit for FREE. It will be painless for you and for society. This may not be ideal but it should work. My brother does this at least twice a year....he wears size 14-16 depending on brand and can't shop in any store.

IMO GG doesn't suck. It has it's downfalls but the upside is fantastic... they will price match online pricing! I price matched a set of clubs at dicks(same company as GG) and used a $25 off coupon and got $10 back in reward points. Online can suck it! Even with tax I still paid less than online and played 2 rounds with the clubs before my online order would have been delivered.

[quote name='zwalk1839' timestamp='1403590946' post='9564241']
OP I feel your pain the coupons are misleading but damn dude you could have called someone at GG to work out the details.

Mr.divots please take a step back and read some of your first posts in this thread. You admitted to having wide feet and shoes are difficult to find. This doesn't seem new to you so why would you try on 12 pairs of shoes only to be disappointed. Zappos has golf shoes....and probably in your size....order like 3-5 pairs of different brands and styles you like. Try them on in the comfort of your own home and send back the ones that don't fit for FREE. It will be painless for you and for society. This may not be ideal but it should work. My brother does this at least twice a year....he wears size 14-16 depending on brand and can't shop in any store.

IMO GG doesn't suck. It has it's downfalls but the upside is fantastic... they will price match online pricing! I price matched a set of clubs at dicks(same company as GG) and used a $25 off coupon and got $10 back in reward points. Online can suck it! Even with tax I still paid less than online and played 2 rounds with the clubs before my online order would have been delivered.
[/quote]

Exactly.

GG price matches all authorized retailers. So no amazon...but other companies yes.

So you can buy in person and get online pricing. It's a no-brainer.

I think a lot of times, what you have are unrealistic expectations for a given scenario or situation. As I've stated before, I've only had good experiences with the local GG and the Dick's that I frequent, however I realize that there are variables in play that are not in another's encounter, and as the techs are not allowed to accept monetary "tips," I have given two of them fast food gift cards. They aren't much I know, however it's one less lunch or dinner that that individual has to reach into his pocket to pay for, and they would do anything for me, and many times go way beyond what they are getting "paid" to do, or a few times, what their manager would want them to do.

Let me say that I did not read the post where it was stated that the individual tried on a dozen pairs of shoes, leaving them, neatly or not, for the non-existent employee to restock. However, if this was done due to physical limitations, that's one thing.

Though, if one is able to take out, remove, try on, then rebox said shoes, I would think that one could go the extra step of putting the boxes back on the shelf.

If one is unhappy with the service, there are much better ways to address the issue.

Approach the manager, because for all that you know, the poor SOB that gets to restock the shoes wasn't even the one at "fault" for the lack of service.

It's like I'll tell customers in my bar-

To tip my bartenders nothing or start berating them in front of others, tells me nothing, except that you're a jerk-off.

You have a problem- You ask to speak to the manager or owner, if appropriate.

And please, I'm not saying that it was in play here, as obviously, I wasn't present.

Though, two prevalent behavior patterns that run rampant today, along with Startzel's and HotRod's astute observation, are PCness and passive-aggressive behavior.

HaHa, please excuse the irrelevent rant, lol

It's kind of obvious when I get my meds, lol ;)

Have a great day Gals & Gents!

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24