2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Let's Get Real: 200 Yards

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1404878016' post='9664205']
Ability does have some impact, but it believe it is a small factor.

I play with on occasion with one of the top ams in the state. He is excruciatingly slow while he shoots three or four under.

My FIL, who can't break 100 from 5,000 yards will be around all day long in three hours. He hits it, drives to it, and hits it again. From the time he gets to his ball until he hits it, probably 10 seconds or less. No wasted time. He can hit A LOT of shots in three hours.
[/quote]

This style of play is probably why he still can't break 100. You can't get better when you're just rushing through the round.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1405270562' post='9691683']
Sean, I'm a human being, and I'm impressed by that quality. It is NOT in everyone. It cannot exist in everyone. The great minds in our society don't worry about what others think. They don't concern themselves with the petty emotions of other people. They know that in time folks will learn, but that the course and progress in their lives will be slowed if they allow themselves to be caught up in it.

My sister has always been an inspiration because she has so little sympathy for herself and for other people. She believes that you should work hard to get anything and that you should suffer the appropriate punishments when they are self-inflicted and have arisen from your own stupidity. I absolutely LOVE seeing that in people. It's inspiring.

I love that she is so direct and that she's the type of person, so grounded in reality, that she'll immediately call someone on there being ridiculous. When you talk about people who'd rather quit than adjust tee boxes, I think of her and how she would, in that amazing pragmatism that only the fairer sex seems to posses, say good, 'F 'em.'

I feel sorry for them. I've been through hard times. I know what it is to suffer, but you can't go around trying to fix everyone's problem when they are indeed self-inflicted. We have to let people suffer as it is from that which they learn the most.

[b]By the same token, I have friends who are very sympathetic to other people, but it also happens that they held back in certain areas of their lives because they care too much. It is true that when you dwell on the suffering of other people, you will only bring that suffering to yourself as well. That isn't necessary. It doesn't help.[/b]
[/quote]

That's an interesting take Mello. Something to think about.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1405299023' post='9694055']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1404878016' post='9664205']
Ability does have some impact, but it believe it is a small factor.

I play with on occasion with one of the top ams in the state. He is excruciatingly slow while he shoots three or four under.

My FIL, who can't break 100 from 5,000 yards will be around all day long in three hours. He hits it, drives to it, and hits it again. From the time he gets to his ball until he hits it, probably 10 seconds or less. No wasted time. He can hit A LOT of shots in three hours.
[/quote]

This style of play is probably why he still can't break 100. You can't get better when you're just rushing through the round.
[/quote]

Playing at that pace has zero to do with his scoring. He can't break 100 because he doesn't hit the ball well. If he slowed down? He would take four hours to still shoot 100+. Playing slower is not going to improve his game.

And if he's going to miss it more often than not, he might has well miss it quickly.

I actually think that almost all munis and public courses should just get rid of the black and blue tees. Unless youre a scratch player, you have no business playing anything farther than the whites anyways.
Ive I had a dollar for every 20 handicap hacker who I saw playing from the tips because they think its fun, Id be a very rich man.

[quote name='Badger_Golfer' timestamp='1405300660' post='9694249']
I actually think that almost all munis and public courses should just get rid of the black and blue tees. Unless youre a scratch player, you have no business playing anything farther than the whites anyways.
Ive I had a dollar for every 20 handicap hacker who I saw playing from the tips because they think its fun, Id be a very rich man.
[/quote]

that's worse than the (dare I say it) Blades vs cavity back debate.... handicap has nothing to do with what tees your playing...at least not at a single digit level.... Plenty of very good 1-8 handicap players who hit the ball a long way.....why on say a 6300 yard course could they not play the backs? got to watch being so general with opinions...... also maybe it wasn't meant that way but I take exception to that rule applying to only "munis and public" courses..... best players on the planet came from public courses at one time or another.... not everyone belongs to a private course and belonging to one certainly doesn't lower your handicap.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='Badger_Golfer' timestamp='1405300660' post='9694249']
[/quote]

If I had a dollar for every 20+ capper I've see playing the back tees when 3 or more options are available, I doubt I'd have enough money for round at the 19th hole. Might be a USA only phenomenon.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1405300408' post='9694225']
Sean, I'm a human being, and I'm impressed by that quality. It is NOT in everyone. It cannot exist in everyone. The great minds in our society don't worry about what others think. They don't concern themselves with the petty emotions of other people. They know that in time folks will learn, but that the course and progress in their lives will be slowed if they allow themselves to be caught up in it.

My sister has always been an inspiration because she has so little sympathy for herself and for other people. She believes that you should work hard to get anything and that you should suffer the appropriate punishments when they are self-inflicted and have arisen from your own stupidity. I absolutely LOVE seeing that in people. It's inspiring.

I love that she is so direct and that she's the type of person, so grounded in reality, that she'll immediately call someone on there being ridiculous. When you talk about people who'd rather quit than adjust tee boxes, I think of her and how she would, in that amazing pragmatism that only the fairer sex seems to posses, say good, 'F 'em.'

I feel sorry for them. I've been through hard times. I know what it is to suffer, but you can't go around trying to fix everyone's problem when they are indeed self-inflicted. We have to let people suffer as it is from that which they learn the most.

[b]By the same token, I have friends who are very sympathetic to other people, but it also happens that they held back in certain areas of their lives because they care too much. It is true that when you dwell on the suffering of other people, you will only bring that suffering to yourself as well. That isn't necessary. It doesn't help.[/b]
[/quote]

[/quote]

This thread is getting deep. Sean, you have a knack for starting
simple threads that grow into world changing philosophical
discussions. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405310002' post='9695213']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It took me a while to figure it out. On the surface Sean2 is the megathread god. Beneath it these threads are an outlet for him. He loves this game that much.

Sean2 even if you think you are overly caring just remember that nice things happen to nice people. BTW, tell me I'm wrong.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405311148' post='9695285']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It took me a while to figure it out. On the surface Sean2 is the megathread god. Beneath it these threads are an outlet for him. He loves this game that much.

Sean2 even if you think you are overly caring just remember that nice things happen to nice people. BTW, tell me I'm wrong.
[/quote]

Disagree. Sean seems to get a buzz from telling others how they "should" act.

It's sort of like that neighbor who seems extremely nice at first. Then everyone realizes he's controlling when he's telling you how you should manicure your yard.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1405314120' post='9695487']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's sort of like that neighbor who seems extremely nice at first. Then everyone realizes he's controlling when he's telling you how you should manicure your yard.
[/quote]

Startzel thank you for sharing your constructive opinion but [u][b]my post above was only intended for Sean2's response[/b][/u]. I did not intend for others to respond to it. I hope this is clear now.

Edit: Startzel I took the liberty of posting an excerpt from the forum rules of conduct below. Could you please review what is in bold font?

Community Posting Standards in Detail
1. [b]Being considerate and respecting each other[/b].
1.1. Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of the site’s goals.
1.2. While debating and discussion is fine, [b]we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or purposeless inflammatory posts[/b].
1.3. No foul language, nude pictures, and/or other objectionable material are allowed.
1.4. Discussions about religion or politics are not allowed.
1.5. Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
1.6. Registering with multiple accounts, impersonating another member, multiple identities, and/or false e-mail addresses are not allowed.

Registered Bladeocrat

Sean- good post. It's just too bad that 99% of golfers will ignore this logic, play from 7k yards, shoot 90-100 and go home.

But, you know who doesn't mind? The golf manufacturers! Because the guy who shot 90-100 may now have a reason to buy that new driver, irons, and balls to help him reach those 450 par 4's. Of course, we all know none of that can help. The player has two options: 1) take some lessons or 2) move to the next tee box. But, we also all know that this player wouldn't ever choose either of these options. Instead, the player chooses one of these options: 1) buys new clubs or 2) reads Golf Digest for some worthless tip that they can't even implement correctly.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

totally agree.....don't listen to the naysayers sean...empathy is an admirable trait.... I read you post on playing with someone whos having a bad round and finding yourself trying to "will" them to hit good ones and feeling bad if you hit a good one...... I thought I was the only one who had those thoughts on the course.... Its literally no fun "beating up" on someone who cant defend themselves...and your own scores do suffer because you find yourself worried about their play and not your own.... I get that... I don't see how anyone could argue that a person who has the ability to empathize with others is a more rounded individual compared to the guy who says "F-em , he doesn't practice as much as me so that's what he gets" . Then follows that up with a gut kick after a hole and tells the guy who just made triple bogey "hey maybe if you practiced a little more you could be a golf god like me".... now you tell me which guy would you rather play with????? I think its an easy choice ! One is the very definition of character, the other is a character flaw....you be the judge

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I played in a scramble this Saturday. Worst golf experience of my life, would have rather practiced than played - basically a waste of 4 hours.

So a local pro invites me to play in his place in a scramble while I am looking at some new equipment Saturday. I am not a scratch golfer, but play to an 8-9 at my local course. I recalled playing in my first scramble tournament with my dad and two other alumni at an outing this year, I had a blast. My dad would put us in play, and I would get my chance to "go after it". From the other pairing, we had an old guy who would drain a ton of putts and had a great touch around the green chipping and a guy who lost about 30 golf balls.

I am paired with this guy in his late 50's, and he is nice - and I never said anything bad after he hit the ball or gave him any bad looks. But from 18 holes, he hit 1 shot all day off the tee (including par 3's) that went 100 yards. And there was a rule where you have to play each person's drive 3 times every 9 holes, and 3 2nd shots on par 4s or 5s every 9. I played well on the back 9, including a hole where I made all 3 shots for a birdie. But after it was all said and done, I felt like it was a waste of time - time that could've been used to lower my handicap, or practicing to get better. You live and you learn, that will be my last scramble unless I am playing with my dad or someone I know is half decent.

So to go along with this topic, I don't think the average golfer hits it much further than 200 off the tee.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1405314120' post='9695487']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Startzel, while I may not know Sean personally, there are many
on here that do and contradict the things you say about him.

Maybe rather than sticking to your guns maybe you....and DP4
might feel differently if you actually knew him.

Sean doesn't need me to defend him but it's getting a little
tiresome reading your and DP4s little "dig" posts. How about
giving it a rest.

[quote name='daryguy77' timestamp='1405350491' post='9697045']
I played in a scramble this Saturday. Worst golf experience of my life, would have rather practiced than played - basically a waste of 4 hours.

So a local pro invites me to play in his place in a scramble while I am looking at some new equipment Saturday. I am not a scratch golfer, but play to an 8-9 at my local course. I recalled playing in my first scramble tournament with my dad and two other alumni at an outing this year, I had a blast. My dad would put us in play, and I would get my chance to "go after it". From the other pairing, we had an old guy who would drain a ton of putts and had a great touch around the green chipping and a guy who lost about 30 golf balls.

I am paired with this guy in his late 50's, and he is nice - and I never said anything bad after he hit the ball or gave him any bad looks. But from 18 holes, he hit 1 shot all day off the tee (including par 3's) that went 100 yards. And there was a rule where you have to play each person's drive 3 times every 9 holes, and 3 2nd shots on par 4s or 5s every 9. I played well on the back 9, including a hole where I made all 3 shots for a birdie. But after it was all said and done, I felt like it was a waste of time - time that could've been used to lower my handicap, or practicing to get better. You live and you learn, that will be my last scramble unless I am playing with my dad or someone I know is half decent.

So to go along with this topic, I don't think the average golfer hits it much further than 200 off the tee.
[/quote]
Wait. Is this a joke? Or are you serious?

Because you saw one bad golfer then your conclusion is the average golfer is bad?

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405350854' post='9697091']

giving it a rest.
[/quote]

There are always two sides to every story Conrad. I could share a series of PM's from Sean2 where he sends thanks from when I was checking in on him while he was recovering from stress fractures. I didn't post them as my goal is to be respectful of people but that has to go both ways. There have been digs that have been directed at me in this and other threads and the implication that I am 'following" him and the word "weird" was used. If you also notice, I stayed away from this thread for a while after that rather unpleasant exchange.

For the record, Starzel and I don't know each other. But this is a discussion board and as long as we allow people to express their thoughts, I think the DB is serving it's purpose. But when someone initiates something that is an affront, I do think it's within my choice to defend my character or express an opinion without being slammed.

I guess if the guy only plays a few times a year, he shouldnt be considered an average golfer. I think I needed to vent, that was a train wreck of an experience on Saturday, and I would not wish that on anyone. I really started playing well, even though we "couldnt" utilize my drives. What is funny is that I shoot better playing by myself than in a scramble using a few of his shots. I should've told the guy to take 2 weeks, and then quit.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405314590' post='9695515']
Startzel thank you for sharing your constructive opinion but [u][b]my post above was only intended for Sean2's response[/b][/u]. I did not intend for others to respond to it. I hope this is clear now.

Edit: Startzel I took the liberty of posting an excerpt from the forum rules of conduct below. Could you please review what is in bold font?

1.1. Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of the site’s goals.
1.2. While debating and discussion is fine, [b]we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks, or purposeless inflammatory posts[/b].
1.3. No foul language, nude pictures, and/or other objectionable material are allowed.
1.5. Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed.
1.6. Registering with multiple accounts, impersonating another member, multiple identities, and/or false e-mail addresses are not allowed.
[/quote]

Not sure where you're going with this. Are you attempting to make an inflammatory accusation that I am violating one of your bolded rules?

If you reread my post you will clearly see that I am participating in good conversation.

My buddy and I are fortunate enough to get to play with our dads a few times a year. On an average drive, they both hit the ball anywhere from 180-230, and shoot between 95-105. We always play the Whites, or whatever tee box is closest to 6,000 yards. That means most almost all par 4's are around the 350 range, meaning with a decent drive, they pretty much have a shot to get to all par 4s with an iron.

Also, for me it's a fun challenge, because if I smack driver on many of these hole, I'll have a little half wedge, a shot I know I need to practice.

Golf should always be fun, but it's often difficult to have a good time when you're playing poorly, and playing from a closer tee box can help to alleviate some of that frustration.

[color=#000000]Ping G30 LST - Ping Tour 65x[/color]
[color=#000000]Mizzy Fli-Hi 3 iron - Project X 6.0
Cobra Fly-Z Pro 4-AW - DG X100 ss1x
Vokey Wedgeworks 54* K Grind- DG S200
Ping Glide (SS) 60*/Lob Combo Grind - DG S400
Cameron Select NP2[/color]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/533027-jlevitt9s-witb-set-for-2013-possibly/"]WITB Link[/url]

Startzel I saw your post and reported it as a potential violation of forum conduct and yes that is why I sent you the excerpt because I felt your post was disrespectful and inflammatory to him.

If you take that as inflammatory back then I apologize. Feel free to report it. I have no issue letting a moderator review all of it and take the necessary actions.

Can you clarify the purpose of your statement about him and what purpose it served that would positively contribute to the discussion? (Since I clarified why I posted the forum rules)

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1405353044' post='9697395']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405314590' post='9695515']

1.1. Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of the site's goals.
[/quote]

Not sure where you're going with this. Are you attempting to make an inflammatory accusation that I am violating one of your bolded rules?

If you reread my post you will clearly see that I am participating in good conversation.
[/quote]

and angel wings and a halo suddenly sprouts from his arse...... :WTF:

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1405351015' post='9697105']

[/quote]

Because you saw one bad golfer then your conclusion is the average golfer is bad?
[/quote] The average golfer IS bad, very bad, as a starter, I see it every Saturday & Sunday.

[quote name='mesquite2' timestamp='1405357149' post='9697911']

[/quote]

[/quote] The average golfer IS bad, very bad, as a starter, I see it every Saturday & Sunday.
[/quote]
The average golfer is, by definition, average.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1405352193' post='9697279']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405350854' post='9697091']

giving it a rest.
[/quote]

There are always two sides to every story Conrad. I could share a series of PM's from Sean2 where he sends thanks from when I was checking in on him while he was recovering from stress fractures. I didn't post them as my goal is to be respectful of people but that has to go both ways. There have been digs that have been directed at me in this and other threads and the implication that I am 'following" him and the word "weird" was used. If you also notice, I stayed away from this thread for a while after that rather unpleasant exchange.

For the record, Starzel and I don't know each other. But this is a discussion board and as long as we allow people to express their thoughts, I think the DB is serving it's purpose. But when someone initiates something that is an affront, I do think it's within my choice to defend my character or express an opinion without being slammed.
[/quote]

PM sent.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405353660' post='9697487']
Startzel I saw your post and reported it as a potential violation of forum conduct and yes that is why I sent you the excerpt because I felt your post was disrespectful and inflammatory to him.

If you take that as inflammatory back then I apologize. Feel free to report it. I have no issue letting a moderator review all of it and take the necessary actions.

Can you clarify the purpose of your statement about him and what purpose it served that would positively contribute to the discussion? (Since I clarified why I posted the forum rules)
[/quote]

I'm sorry you feel that way.

However it's not your job to moderate the forum. If you feel that I broke the rules you should have reported the post.

From there you should have exited the conversation. You are just inciting problems when you take it upon yourself to post the rules and give directions to another member. That is the responsibility of the moderators.

I wonder if golfers ever follow the handicap recommendations some course have for playing certain tees. I have seen on more than one occasion where it was not and watched a golfer not make it over the the gully's on certain tee boxes.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

[quote name='mesquite2' timestamp='1405357149' post='9697911']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The typical golfer is bad compared to a good golfer. It's hard to pin down the average.

I could sit on the patio and overlook the first tee for a full day at our local muni (it's a good course / not a cow pasture - but a muni nonetheless) and probably count on one hand the number of players who have any game . . . then I have to remind myself what my first shot of the day can look like and that's all the reality check I need. Maybe the average starter needs a reality check too.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1405361406' post='9698489']

[/quote]

However it's not your job to moderate the forum. If you feel that I broke the rules you should have reported the post.

From there you should have exited the conversation. You are just inciting problems when you take it upon yourself to post the rules and give directions to another member. That is the responsibility of the moderators.
[/quote]

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1405361406' post='9698489']

[/quote]

[/quote]
As stated I apologize for it and fyi it was done after I had already reported it to a mod. Again I have no issue if my own posts are reported to the moderators. They may see both of our supposed inflammatory posts and take a different position.

To continue with your post that was such good conversation, What insight and positive contribution were you trying to illicit by, to paraphrase, referring to Sean2 as a nosy neighbor? Maybe then I can understand and not take it as disrespectful and inflammatory.

Registered Bladeocrat

[/quote]

I don't know DeNinny. There are at least a few people on this forum, who for some reason or another, have it in for me. I have no idea why. Frankly, it's getting old.

One has called me a liar, a troll, and dishonest. They both claim I tell others what clubs they should play, or tees they should hit from, which I have NEVER done. If anything, I'm just the opposite.

I get tired of defending myself from their obfuscations and misrepresentations.