2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Steelfiber vs Recoil

gmen4life

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hit some Nike Covert forged in 124 F4's yesterday and they are MONEY ! Will get those shafts in my next set

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Both will help out if you have tendentious. At the moment I like the SteelFibers better as they do play stiffer to flex. I just came from Recoils as those play softer.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I have a set of 125 f4, plays true to flex for me. Boy everything felt so soft and I really liked it. However it just wasn't for me for my type of swing. Debating if I should put it on the bst or just hold it and search for another set of heads.

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

I've tested both of them and you probably can't go wrong with either of them. I thought the SteelFibers felt more like a steel shaft but personally the recoil prototypes blew them out of the water (FOR ME). The recoils are so smooth. Feedback is still good with them but you can tell when you hit a bad shot. Its very different than steel. Almost weird to explain. And from someone who has elbow issues these have saved me.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

Recoil 660 F3 in my x2hot irons. Driver ss 95. 12 hdcp.
These are like nothing else I've hit but as I've not hit steel fibers I'm not in a place to give you the best feedback. But for me, balance was amazing. Came from mostly graphite background in R flexes and these are noticeably stiffer. No steel harsheness. No weird graphite whippy feeling. You have to demo them somewhere. Smooth. And at 71g a great weight compromise.

I had my G25 8 iron shafted with a Recoil Prototype 95 by Doug Mael (a poster and TourSPX clubfitter here) - lets just say, I stopped my search. Unbelievably smooth and tight. Came from a KBS Tour stiff and had no problem adapting to a lighter 95 weight - which is what I wanted, I work too hard on my irons with the KBS and I ain't getting any younger. Also, take a good look at AXE as well, I hear good things about this shaft.

I can't wait till the rest of my G25s come back with the Recoil Pro 95s....

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

OP, this comment is placed with the utmost respect but the frequency and nature of questions regarding these shafts make me think there is a campaign at work keeping these shafts in the spotlight.

If you simply do a search for steelfiber or recoil you will find pages of information on both shafts including their vibration dampening performance.

Once again I apologise if your post is genuine, just something that has been bugging me for a while.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1403865917' post='9588613']
OP, this comment is placed with the utmost respect but the frequency and nature of questions regarding these shafts make me think there is a campaign at work keeping these shafts in the spotlight.

If you simply do a search for steelfiber or recoil you will find pages of information on both shafts including their vibration dampening performance.

Once again I apologise if your post is genuine, just something that has been bugging me for a while.
[/quote]

The question is genuine...Sorry to have touched a nerve!!!

I have not played the steelfibers, but I love the recoils. The proto will play a little stouter than the newer retail version. I have the newer ones now, but they are still a solid shaft. Just switched back to these from a stint with program 130.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

[quote name='gmen4life' timestamp='1403894272' post='9591507']
The question is genuine...Sorry to have touched a nerve!!!
[/quote][list=1]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/987759-tendonitis-will-graphite-help/page__p__8889363__hl__recoil#entry8889363"]Tendonitis - will graphite help?[/url]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1004991-arm-and-elbow-pain/page__p__9120469__hl__recoil#entry9120469"]Arm and Elbow Pain[/url]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/813201-ust-recoils-vs-aerotech-steelfibers/page__hl__steelfiber__st__0"]UST Recoils vs. Aerotech Steelfibers[/url]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921573-recoils-whats-the-verdict-real-deal-or-overhype/page__hl__recoil"]Recoils. What's the Verdict? Real Deal or Overhype?[/url]
[/list]
a value alternative[list]
[*][url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/954313-xcaliber-tour-x-iron-shafts/page__p__8808653__hl__+axe%20+pro%20+iron%20+shafts#entry8808653"]xcaliber tour x iron shafts[/url]
[/list]
Plus many more using search.

I tested both during a trackman fitting. I had surgery on my wrist 9 years ago and it was flaring up with the continuous beating with steel shafts. Ended up with Recoil 800 series. My wedge game has improved dramatically and my index is moving from 9.2 to 7.0 at the next revision. The weight change was barely noticeable. I have them installed in Miura MC 102s.

[quote name='DaveMac' timestamp='1403865917' post='9588613']

[/quote]

Just a thought, but maybe you need to consider requiring a search before you can post a new thread. You have to know that the "above the fold" is a big deal, but to be honest, searches over multiple forum categories isn't going to bring someone into the thought of "hey, let me tag this onto another thread that's a dead horse beaten". Newer and fresher information is what people are seeking, and in the example of your first thread, Recoils weren't mentioned until post 14.

With all due respect as well, the general demographic here isn't the thread-searching kind - unless you start making it easier or more required. If you do that, you'll get less interaction.

Good luck.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1404087793' post='9604123']

Just a thought, but maybe you need to consider requiring a search before you can post a new thread. You have to know that the "above the fold" is a big deal, but to be honest, searches over multiple forum categories isn't going to bring someone into the thought of "hey, let me tag this onto another thread that's a dead horse beaten". Newer and fresher information is what people are seeking, and in the example of your first thread, Recoils weren't mentioned until post 14.

With all due respect as well, the general demographic here isn't the thread-searching kind - unless you start making it easier or more required. If you do that, you'll get less interaction.

Good luck.
[/quote]
Just to say you have posted valid points here and I agree the forum format is not the best for categorising information. Personally I don't see a problem with a search first mantra, the discussion can simply be carried on by resurrecting an old thread.

Just to say I don't have any influence over site design.

I'm torn on the question raised. When you see a brand new thread on the same topic that has been discussed recently and thoroughly, it's tedious. But some long threads are themselves tedious to review especially when there are lots of digressing posts.

Callaway Rogue 10.5°
Ping G410 2, 3 Hybrid
Ping G410 3, 4 Crossover 
Ping G410 5-UW
Vokey spin milled 54/14
SC Studio Select Newport 2

• 4 years later...

I just picked up a new set of Recoil Prototype TourSPX 110 F4's and was wondering the difference compared to the standard retail 110 F4's? I seem to read that most think the Protos are the superior product can you explain? Thank, BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

I just picked up a new set of Recoil Prototype TourSPX 110 F4's and was wondering the difference compared to the standard retail 110 F4's? I seem to read that most think the Protos are the superior product can you explain? Thank, BB

Slightly lower torque and higher kick for a slightly lower flight. That’s it.

Hope you didn’t buy them from “ gegolf” out of aledo Texas on eBay. He’s been selling fakes quite cheap for a few months now.

Played both. Steelfiber i95 and Recoils 95 but the difference was the i95 were stiff flex and the Recoils are regular flex.

For my swing the Recoils work out much better. Didn't care for the Steelfibers even though I went from stiff flex steel to stiff Steelfibers.

The best graphite shaft I have hit is Aldila NV-3 in stiff flex.

I did Jag I'm not convinced he is selling fakes. I did read your post regarding discussions with Will so no disrespect intended. These shafts have been around for sometime now I have no doubt there are sets floating around wholesale. Trust me I will will find out soon enough, if they are I will get my money back.

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

Played both at 110x in DIs. The Recoil was much smoother and softer on my hands but it launched higher than I was looking for in a driving iron. The Steelfiber was very stable and required a more aggressive move on the ball which suits my swing better. It also launched lower so I used it in the DI. I also tried a Steelfiber 95 in a hybrid which felt closer to the Recoil while still felt stable. Neither are what I would call harsh feeling so for what you're looking for, go with what flight and feel you want.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I've played i95 stiff soft stepped, recoil oem 110 and 95 both stiff.

I like recoil 110 best followed by i95 and recoil 95. I still play recoil 110...fantastic.

I like the 110 weight better and thought both the 110 and i95 played more like steel.

But you have to try them yourself and the only one you'll find in a fitting cart is recoil 95.

Buy a single club with one (mizuno had recoil 95, no upcharge) and buy another shaft or two at $45 each to compare - cost assumes the recoil oem is adequate vs. proto (was for me fwiw).

I absolutely love my recoil prototype 125 f5. I had them in a set of Camilo prototype tmade irons and I loved them so much I put another set in my ping irons I got in May. I don't think I can ever go back to steel shafts. For reference my stock swing with 7i 97-100mph. I have two sets of them for my wedges but I haven't installed any yet. I will probably have them put in a back up set of wedges when I get home from traveling in a couple weeks.

Need help deciding which to with for in next iron set!!! i've got tendinitus in my wrist and that's the main reason for going away from steel. Any love out there for either???

In either case, I think you're headed in the right direction.

I went to graphite several years ago for the same reason, except elbows, and it made a difference. My only regret is not going with a premium graphite shaft at the outset; the Recoils I have now are head and shoulders better than the stock graphites I used at first. I haven't hit the Steelfibers, but would imagine it's the same story.

And fwiw, there is a big upcharge from steel to graphite; the upcharge from stock graphite to Recoils was not that big, and well worth it.