2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tour Player's loft's on irons?

Emccance79

OK... I need to know, I am watching the PGA Championship and seeing tour players hitting it a COUNTRY MILE... I know that they are pros and there fitness, shafts and swing speeds are all above the rest. But I am asking if the lofts on there irons are another reason for there distance?

I mean I just saw Tom Watson hit a 4 iron on a 200 yard par 3!! I am a single digit hc and my 120 shot is my PW and my 190 shot is my 3 iron. My average ball speed is 120 so I swing well and like to think I am for the most part solid with my irons. But when I PURE my X forged I am not getting even close to the distance that I am reading that other on this site is getting. Standard loft on a player 3 iron is 21* and on a game improvement 4 iron a 21*.

So I started thinking to myself... Are the tour players playing Player irons lofted similar to game improvement irons?

I would appreciate your input.

Again I apologize in advance if there is already a thread on this topic, I couldn't find it.

Thank you

Callaway Optiforce 9.5* D3 SW Aldila Tour Green JV X flex
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Adams 20* Mini Pro Aldila Tour Green Striff
Mizuno MP 54 4-9 Project X 6.0
Cleveland BP RTX 46* 52* 58* TT W Flex
Cleveland CG 15 DSG 62* W Flex
Odyssey Rossie 2 33.5"

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most play standard lofts or close enough to it. There are very few who play strong throughout the bag (Phil used to be one, but I'm not sure if that is the case these days) but there are a few more who play a degree or two weak (Tiger immediately comes to mind).

The most common reason for playing a stronger loft is to fill a gap in the bag, usually the long irons (lots of 4 irons bent strong) but throughout the set it would be uncommon to see more than 1* difference from standard either way.

[quote name='Emccance79' timestamp='1407481691' post='9885889']
I mean I just saw Tom Watson hit a 4 iron on a 200 yard par 3!! I am a single digit hc and my 120 shot is my PW and my 190 shot is my 3 iron. My average ball speed is 120 so I swing well and like to think I am for the most part solid with my irons. But when I PURE my X forged I am not getting even close to the distance that I am reading that other on this site is getting. Standard loft on a player 3 iron is 21* and on a game improvement 4 iron a 21*.
[/quote]

200 yard 3i does not sound excessive, I can do that with my HC of 15.5 (from tee at least). And I have 22* 3i.

What is average ball speed?

edit. sorry you were talking about 200yd 4i, but same thing anyway. Tom Watson is not HCI 15.5, nor 6.8...

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

This is not a brag though it might come across that way.

I am an 8 index but on a flat 200y par 3 with no wind I would likely play my MP 64 5 iron. I average 181m carry with that (198y I believe) and it is an off the rack MP 64 + .5" long. I would say I am a long hitter but not super long by pro standards FYI I average 113mph with the driver and I think 92 mph with a 6 iron which would be mid pack in PGA Tour speed.

The difference in a strong hitter and what you might find with your distance is the ability to generate that speed and hold the club delivery angles to make sure you don't seriously change dynamic loft as that can increase spin, and launch, restricting distance. Pros are generally very good at delivering the dynamic loft they desire to maximize control their trajectory and distance.

Oh yeah, they tend to hit the centre of the face pretty often and that helps a little too!

Good question. It does make you wonder when the pros hit it so far.
I would guess that it would vary due to personal preference. There are many reasons to vary lofts for an individuals needs. Gaps, desired trajectory etc. You could be sure that getting extra distance from their irons would not be their highest priority.

OK... I need to know, I am watching the PGA Championship and seeing tour players hitting it a COUNTRY MILE... I know that they are pros and there fitness, shafts and swing speeds are all above the rest. But I am asking if the lofts on there irons are another reason for there distance?

Thank you
[/quote]

The typical PGA Tour professional's angle of attack, is negative 5*. Which means he's hitting a 6 iron, with the approximate loft of a 4 iron.

They hit it really hard.

Taylormade 16' M2 9.5º (Tensei 60 Orange R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5

Royal M Taper 360's

[quote name='tommy89' timestamp='1407494033' post='9886141']
200 yard 3 iron isn't far. Not even close. Bet he hits it straight though
[/quote]

As Tommy89 states 3 iron from 200 yards is not even close to long.
I hit my 6 iron 200 yards ( G25 irons with CFS-X )
its not the lofts its the swing and good contact everey time :taunt:
By the way most irons have stronger lofts compared with 20 years ago.
My G25 4 iron have the loft of a 3 iron 20 years ago...

Driver: Titleist 913 D2, PX 6.0 73 g
4 wood : Callaway Raxr fit extreme Stiff
Irons : Ping G 25 4-9, CFS XS
Wedges G25 pw+uw+sw , CFS XS + Ping Eye2 Xg lw, CFS XS.
Putter : Odessey 2 ball

I wouldn't be worried about there lofts, the fact that they can manipulate the club head in ways you can only dream of is what it more is, that and they are about 1000X more talented than you, even at a single digit cap. Club might have said '4' on the bottom, but what was his loft at impact?

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

Some play their clubs strong, some do not. As already mentioned, PMick has long had some pretty strong lofts on his irons. Couples was another who was said to have his clubs bent strong, at least in his Tommy Armour years. Then there's the delofting at impact also already posted.

Another aspect is something I've heard a few pros mention over the years. If you were playing on tour, and hitting balls as much as these guys do, you'd gain a club of distance from all that work.

Most years, I lose a bit of distance in the offseason, and gain it back by the end of the season, presumably for a similar reason. Took a while to figure out why I wasn't losing distance, and sometimes gaining a bit, in the cold weather. ;)

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

What I find odd sometimes is that their listed distances are often different than what we hear in tournaments. Rory, for example, we know hits it as far as anyone. But in the latest Golf magazine, he lists his 9 iron as 155 and 7 iron at 180. That's only 5 yards or so more than my hack distances. Yet he hit his 7 iron on the 215 yard par 3 yesterday. That's a huge difference.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1407502578' post='9886659']
What I find odd sometimes is that their listed distances are often different than what we hear in tournaments. Rory, for example, we know hits it as far as anyone. But in the latest Golf magazine, he lists his 9 iron as 155 and 7 iron at 180. That's only 5 yards or so more than my hack distances. Yet he hit his 7 iron on the 215 yard par 3 yesterday. That's a huge difference.
[/quote]

Believe very very little of what you read in those magazines.

I still go back to when GD within 4 months had two of their top tour pro teachers contradict each other completely with their tips. Its all ghost writer crap. Only thing a lof of thsoe mags are good for is the WITB, but this site is putting them to shame on a weekly basis for that.

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

[quote name='setter02' timestamp='1407502788' post='9886675']

I still go back to when GD within 4 months had two of their top tour pro teachers contradict each other completely with their tips. Its all ghost writer crap. Only thing a lof of thsoe mags are good for is the WITB, but this site is putting them to shame on a weekly basis for that.
[/quote]

The WITB numbers come from the players themselves. Numbers broadcast during tournaments can be all kinds of mucked up, you often hear a commentator say 'just a smooth 9 iron' and then get a close up of the club on the follow through and see it was a 7. They are also fond of quoting yardages as if a hole was playing its absolute longest (back tee/pin). Moving up a block, which they often do, and a front pin might make 40/50 yards of difference from the listed yardage.

Having said all that, a 215 yard 7 iron for someone who hits it 180 normally isn't such a stretch. Bit of wind behind, downhill shot and having to land it well short of the pin to allow for harder greens and there you have it. They do hit it miles, Rory in particular, but he's not going to be pulling 7 iron from 215 at sea level in neutral conditions I can guarantee you that!

One thing I've noticed is that the TV tends to inflate the yardage of holes, it seems they measure from the back of the tee box rather than where the tee's are and I've also noticed that they often inflate the clubs used. More than a few occasions I've heard Ferherty say the guy is using an 8 iron from 175 and then the camera zooms in on them with the follow through and you see the number 6 on the bottom of the club. You also don't get elevation changes on TV very well, Vallhalla has a lot of elevation to it and you also don't always get the wind conditions from sitting and watching!

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='cehb' timestamp='1407504946' post='9886953']

[/quote]

The WITB numbers come from the players themselves. Numbers broadcast during tournaments can be all kinds of mucked up, you often hear a commentator say 'just a smooth 9 iron' and then get a close up of the club on the follow through and see it was a 7. They are also fond of quoting yardages as if a hole was playing its absolute longest (back tee/pin). Moving up a block, which they often do, and a front pin might make 40/50 yards of difference from the listed yardage.

Having said all that, a 215 yard 7 iron for someone who hits it 180 normally isn't such a stretch. Bit of wind behind, downhill shot and having to land it well short of the pin to allow for harder greens and there you have it. They do hit it miles, Rory in particular, but he's not going to be pulling 7 iron from 215 at sea level in neutral conditions I can guarantee you that!
[/quote]

Creepy, we must have been typing similar responses at the same time.

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

[quote name='AdamWestAustralia' timestamp='1407486975' post='9885983']
This is not a brag though it might come across that way.

I am an 8 index but on a flat 200y par 3 with no wind I would likely play my MP 64 5 iron. I average 181m carry with that (198y I believe) and it is an off the rack MP 64 + .5" long. I would say I am a long hitter but not super long by pro standards FYI I average 113mph with the driver and I think 92 mph with a 6 iron which would be mid pack in PGA Tour speed.

The difference in a strong hitter and what you might find with your distance is the ability to generate that speed and hold the club delivery angles to make sure you don't seriously change dynamic loft as that can increase spin, and launch, restricting distance. Pros are generally very good at delivering the dynamic loft they desire to maximize control their trajectory and distance.

Oh yeah, they tend to hit the centre of the face pretty often and that helps a little too!
[/quote]

Good point... On that 200 Yard par 3 I would be hitting a 3 iron and if the pin was in the back my 2 iron (or 2 hybrid) I am looking for distance but do not want to go to a Game Improvement iron in order to do so, Your yardage is actually what would be ideal for what I am looking for... I would even be happy with a once club increase

Callaway Optiforce 9.5* D3 SW Aldila Tour Green JV X flex
Callaway X Hot Pro 15* Aldila Tour Green Stiff
Adams 20* Mini Pro Aldila Tour Green Striff
Mizuno MP 54 4-9 Project X 6.0
Cleveland BP RTX 46* 52* 58* TT W Flex
Cleveland CG 15 DSG 62* W Flex
Odyssey Rossie 2 33.5"

agreed...my normal swing 5 iron is 200-205....3 iron 225ish off Tee I say ish because if I get after one and turn one over at the same time (draw) 3 iron has been known to fly 235-240 off the tee.... that's with a mp68 iron standard lofts....and that's weaker than most standard lofts..... Its all about where on the face your striking it and angle of attack....my iron angle of attack is around -4 -5* ....so yes delofting at impact...but that's the only proper way to compress the ball into the ground and get distance and height on shots...cant do it coming in shallow and 'helping" it up

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I heard them talking about how much shaft lean tiger has now and Brandel was saying his 6i at impact could be delofted at times to about a 4i loft. Not sure if that is exactly accurate, but those who generate a lot of lag with their hands tend to hit irons longer because of delofting. They also hit them lower. For the Tom Watson example, there could have been a tail wind and the hole could have been slightly downhill. You never really know with TV. They also play the ball to bounce forward and release some due to faster greens. I didn't see the shot personally, but did he fly it 200 and stick it or did it bounce and roll to 200? I am a decently long player and I would typically use a smooth 4i to carry the ball 200 yards. And if it is a par 3 with the pin in the back measured to 200 I am probably going to hit a 5i and let the ball release back a bit.

Callaway Rogue SZ 10.5* W/ Matrix F7M2
Tour Edge Exotics XCG7 Beta 16.5* W/ Matrix F7M2 Proto

Adams Super LS 19* W/ Kuro Kage 80
Royal Collection Tour VS 5-PW W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
Taylormade RAC Satin 50 + 54 W/ Aldila RIP Tour 115
MaxFli CrossBax 3.0 (#9 Style)
Bag - Honma Mini Staff
Ball - Taylormade RBZ Urethane

[quote name='UofU02' timestamp='1407495631' post='9886181']
Mark Crossfied did a WITB with Darren Clarke and he said tour standard is 2 degrees strong. However he also said it is not so much about the number on the club but rather having specific distances and gaps.
[/quote]

This is correct - if you want proof, call the golf shop or golf store and ask them to order you a set of irons with the lofts bent to "tour lofts". They will come 2 degrees strong - I've done it twice, and heard it discussed multiple times among PGA club pros. Now - whether that is 100% accurate or not is a different matter, as I suspect this varies a lot between players -

[list]
[*][size=4][b][color=#0000ff]Ping G410 LST, Mitsubishi Tensei Orange Pro [/color][/b][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 wood, Mitsubishi Diamana BF[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 3 hybrid, Mitsubishi Tensei Blue Pro[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][color=#008000][b]Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black[/b][/color][/size]
[*][size=4][b]Titleist T200 5-9 KBS Tour Flt [/b][/size]
[*][size=4][b][color=#daa520]Callaway MD5 45,49,54,58/[/color]
[*][color=#b22222][b][size=4]TP Mills Trad II Hand Forged [/size][/b][/color]
[/list]

[quote name='Bushwood Country Club' timestamp='1407506494' post='9887149']
This is correct - if you want proof, call the golf shop or golf store and ask them to order you a set of irons with the lofts bent to "tour lofts". They will come 2 degrees strong - I've done it twice, and heard it discussed multiple times among PGA club pros. Now - whether that is 100% accurate or not is a different matter, as I suspect this varies a lot between players -
[/quote]

It could be common among club pros but I'd be surprised if there were more than 2 or 3 world class players who play 2* strong across the board. If you have a look at the GD WITB articles they often have the lofts listed, most are very close to, if not standard. Certainly no one even close to 2* strong throughout the bag (a few strong 4 irons)

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag

[quote name='cehb' timestamp='1407506987' post='9887229']
[quote name='Bushwood Country Club' timestamp='1407506494' post='9887149']
[/quote]

It could be common among club pros but I'd be surprised if there were more than 2 or 3 world class players who play 2* strong across the board. If you have a look at the GD WITB articles they often have the lofts listed, most are very close to, if not standard. Certainly no one even close to 2* strong throughout the bag (a few strong 4 irons)

[url="http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/whats-in-my-bag"]http://www.golfdiges...whats-in-my-bag[/url]
[/quote]

for sure.... look at tigers lofts... at least up until recently he played a 48-49 degree PW.... that's weaker than most now... youll find a few taylorr made or callaway iron players you could call strong..but they aren't stronger than oem lofts.... tour guys aren't looking for iron distance and they certainly would bring trajectory down with shaft selection not lofts....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='cehb' timestamp='1407504946' post='9886953']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[quote name='MountainKing' timestamp='1407505333' post='9887003']
One thing I've noticed is that the TV tends to inflate the yardage of holes, it seems they measure from the back of the tee box rather than where the tee's are and I've also noticed that they often inflate the clubs used. More than a few occasions I've heard Ferherty say the guy is using an 8 iron from 175 and then the camera zooms in on them with the follow through and you see the number 6 on the bottom of the club. You also don't get elevation changes on TV very well, Vallhalla has a lot of elevation to it and you also don't always get the wind conditions from sitting and watching!
[/quote]

I had to give credit to both of you. :)

I've seen this myself. Was watching an event (I want to say the World Match Play, but can't say for sure), players hitting on a 213 or 214 yd par 3. Mark Brooks and Adam Scott. Scott said to be stupid long, Brooks, not that I've ever heard. Both players are announced as hitting 6 irons, boy that's a long shot, etc. Both players follow through allowed the number on the club to be visible on camera, and for both, it was a 4 iron.

Let's also not forget the Trackman averages and Shotlink data, both of which show the average tour pro is hitting around a 5 iron from 185. Of course there are guys longer than that, but that means there are some shorter, as well.

The summary, don't believe everything you see on TV.

A last thought: adrenaline is a lovely thing. Guys will hit distances in the heat of competition that they wouldn't be able to normally.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='BrianL99' timestamp='1407494129' post='9886143']

Thank you
[/quote]

The typical PGA Tour professional's angle of attack, is negative 5*. Which means he's hitting a 6 iron, with the approximate loft of a 4 iron.
[/quote]

Good point. And, welcome back. :-)