No new acquistions...?

Nice woods @deejaid. Going to refurb at some point? Always wondered why Wilson persimmons never receive any love around here. Rarely mentioned. Although Wilson irons are oft mentioned as amongst the best classic irons. Across multiple generations encompassing three decades. Not to mention wedges and the 8802. Perhaps as mentioned above, the laminates are predominate. Don't recall ever finding a persimmon while scrounging. Would seem to be mandatory if one is to put together an all Wilson vintage bag.

Wow, 245 with a Percy. I don't get close to that with my modern. Even downwind, downhill, on hardpan. Serious smash.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

> @Swingingk said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > >

> > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > >

> > > > vgo6qpyoud3r.jpeg

> > > >

> > > > k4zkw6yvnlyq.jpeg

> > > >

> > > > ftaau681rmno.jpeg

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > 0ag1ord5yzea.jpeg

> > > >

> > >

> > > That's a beautiful set! Nice score.

> >

> > Thanks SwingingK.

> >

> > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> >

> > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> >

> > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> >

> Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

>

> @Fellaheen51 said:

> Nice woods @deejaid. Going to refurb at some point? Always wondered why Wilson persimmons never receive any love around here. Rarely mentioned. Although Wilson irons are oft mentioned as amongst the best classic irons. Across multiple generations encompassing three decades. Not to mention wedges and the 8802. Perhaps as mentioned above, the laminates are predominate. Don't recall ever finding a persimmon while scrounging. Would seem to be mandatory if one is to put together an all Wilson vintage bag.

>

> Wow, 245 with a Percy. I don't get close to that with my modern. Even downwind, downhill, on hardpan. Serious smash.

Yeah, I absolutely drilled it. The real test is on #2. We have a creek cutting across the fairway. 216 to the creek, 228 to carry it. I’ve only carried it twice with persimmon, both times with my graphite shafted Cleveland TC-15 so I usually hit 4 wood off the tee when playing the steel shaft persimmon. After my drive on 1 with the Wilson Staff I thought I should go for it but played it smart and hit 4-wood which almost ended up in the creek as I pured that one too. Made par.

After two pure strikes with the Wilson’s on the first two holes I was feeling pretty good, then the par 5 #3 came and I hit my drive high and to the right into the trees. ?. End up with a double. Number 4, same thing. High and right into the trees. I punch out and this time I hit what I thought was a perfect 9-iron into the green only to fly it and go down into the creek that is crossing #2. Ended up with a triple. ?

Parred 5 of 9 holes, no birdies and still shot +7. I can attribute it a bit to unfamiliarity with the clubs as it was the first time out with the Wilson persimmon’s and the Byron Nelson 259 Macgregor irons, but still disappointing after a strong start.

As for refinishing them, aim not sure. I kind of like how they look all original. Plus, I dont have all the decals that wood need replaced so I might just keep these in their as-found state.

And yeah, if they were Strat-bloc I would have passed but since they were persimmon I had to grab them. They have lovely leather grips too. Nice clubs.

> @Swingingk said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > >

> > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > Thanks SwingingK.

> >

> > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> >

> > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> >

> > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> >

> Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

>

I wonder too if guys looking for a new set of woods bought Wilson’s because they bought into the claims Wilson made about Strata-bloc? If they wanted persimmon they could buy any number of brands but Wilson and this fancy “Strata-bloc” so guys bought into the marketing. Wilson catalogs show the Strata-bloc and persimmon as being the same price.

> @deejaid said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > >

> > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > >

> > > > > vgo6qpyoud3r.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > > > k4zkw6yvnlyq.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > > > ftaau681rmno.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > 0ag1ord5yzea.jpeg

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > That's a beautiful set! Nice score.

> > >

> > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > >

> > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > >

> > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > >

> > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > >

> > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> >

>

>

> I wonder too if guys looking for a new set of woods bought Wilson’s because they bought into the claims Wilson made about Strata-bloc? If they wanted persimmon they could buy any number of brands but Wilson and this fancy “Strata-bloc” so guys bought into the marketing. Wilson catalogs show the Strata-bloc and persimmon as being the same price.

I think you might have something there. With everyone else making woods from persimmon and all the troublesome maintenance issues associated with moisture infiltration, variable grain patterns, and inconsistent weights, perhaps the laminate clubs were a real selling point for Wilson. I'm sure all the stories of pro's scouring the earth for the perfect piece of wood are true, but maybe the average Joe just wanted something more durable and stable, which Wilson's marketing was more than willing to seize upon. I would guess that a laminated wood would be much easier to manufacture with a higher degree of club-to-club consistency than wood from different parts of a tree. Well, just some random thoughts on the subject...

• Like 1

> @Swingingk said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > >

> >

> > Thanks SwingingK.

> >

> >

> >

> >

>

My persimmon Wilson's of approximately the same year are almost identical but for opposite color inserts. Here are the 4 woods for comparison:adj28kb8bprm.jpg

ftq6bbk2aa1v.jpg

• Like 1

> @Swingingk said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > vgo6qpyoud3r.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > > > k4zkw6yvnlyq.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ftaau681rmno.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 0ag1ord5yzea.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > That's a beautiful set! Nice score.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > > >

> > > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > > >

> > > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > > >

> > > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > > >

> > > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> > >

> >

> >

> > I wonder too if guys looking for a new set of woods bought Wilson’s because they bought into the claims Wilson made about Strata-bloc? If they wanted persimmon they could buy any number of brands but Wilson and this fancy “Strata-bloc” so guys bought into the marketing. Wilson catalogs show the Strata-bloc and persimmon as being the same price.

>

> I think you might have something there. With everyone else making woods from persimmon and all the troublesome maintenance issues associated with moisture infiltration, variable grain patterns, and inconsistent weights, perhaps the laminate clubs were a real selling point for Wilson. I'm sure all the stories of pro's scouring the earth for the perfect piece of wood are true, but maybe the average Joe just wanted something more durable and stable, which Wilson's marketing was more than willing to seize upon. I would guess that a laminated wood would be much easier to manufacture with a higher degree of club-to-club consistency than wood from different parts of a tree. Well, just some random thoughts on the subject...

You are right. Most probably looked for convenience and the marketing of the sealed head that won’t be infiltrated by water, and by pricing the Strata-Bloc line the same as the persimmon it’s perceived quality was equal.

I also wonder how much amateurs club choice was affected by the Pro’s of the day clubs? I mean there wasn’t a whole lot of choice from each manufacturer. You had a professional line and a few store models mostly with a Pro’s name.

> @Swingingk said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > >

> > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > >

> > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > >

> > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > >

> > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > >

> > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> >

>

> My persimmon Wilson's of approximately the same year are almost identical but for opposite color inserts. Here are the 4 woods for comparison:adj28kb8bprm.jpg

> ftq6bbk2aa1v.jpg

>

Nice looking pair. I love those face inserts.

> @Swingingk said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > >

> > >

> > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

> My persimmon Wilson's of approximately the same year are almost identical but for opposite color inserts.

>

One of those is laminate, not persimmon

> @deejaid said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > vgo6qpyoud3r.jpeg

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > k4zkw6yvnlyq.jpeg

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > ftaau681rmno.jpeg

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > 0ag1ord5yzea.jpeg

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's a beautiful set! Nice score.

> > > > >

> > > > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > > > >

> > > > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > > > >

> > > > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > > > >

> > > > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but

> I also wonder how much amateurs club choice was affected by the Pro’s of the day clubs? I mean there wasn’t a whole lot of choice from each manufacturer. You had a professional line and a few store models mostly with a Pro’s name.

> @dcopp7 said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > vgo6qpyoud3r.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > > > k4zkw6yvnlyq.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > > > ftaau681rmno.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > > > 0ag1ord5yzea.jpeg

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > That's a beautiful set! Nice score.

> > > >

> > > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > > >

> > > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > > >

> > > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > > >

> > > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > > >

> > > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> > >

> >

> > My persimmon Wilson's of approximately the same year are almost identical but for opposite color inserts.

> >

>

> One of those is laminate, not persimmon

Yup. I have very similar 1,3, & 4 wood sets, one in laminated maple and another in persimmon - both with TT Pro-Fit shafts in "R". I thought I might show one of each set to show similarities.

> @deejaid said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > > > >

> > > > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > > > >

> > > > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > > > >

> > > > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > > > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I wonder too if guys looking for a new set of woods bought Wilson’s because they bought into the claims Wilson made about Strata-bloc? If they wanted persimmon they could buy any number of brands but Wilson and this fancy “Strata-bloc” so guys bought into the marketing. Wilson catalogs show the Strata-bloc and persimmon as being the same price.

> >

> > I think you might have something there. With everyone else making woods from persimmon and all the troublesome maintenance issues associated with moisture infiltration, variable grain patterns, and inconsistent weights, perhaps the laminate clubs were a real selling point for Wilson. I'm sure all the stories of pro's scouring the earth for the perfect piece of wood are true, but maybe the average Joe just wanted something more durable and stable, which Wilson's marketing was more than willing to seize upon. I would guess that a laminated wood would be much easier to manufacture with a higher degree of club-to-club consistency than wood from different parts of a tree. Well, just some random thoughts on the subject...

>

>

> You are right. Most probably looked for convenience and the marketing of the sealed head that won’t be infiltrated by water, and by pricing the Strata-Bloc line the same as the persimmon it’s perceived quality was equal.

>

> I also wonder how much amateurs club choice was affected by the Pro’s of the day clubs? I mean there wasn’t a whole lot of choice from each manufacturer. You had a professional line and a few store models mostly with a Pro’s name.

I've considered the "Pro effect" thing on older clubs before. My take on it is that the pro's name was much more important than what he/she was actually playing. Signature and pro-specific models seem to have been hugely popular before 1970 or so. There's so much of that type of thing from the 50's and 60's it's crazy. It must have been a pretty big seller back then, or at least more so than today. Who would buy the "Phil Mickelson Signature Model" iron set now? Nobody would be caught dead sporting that stuff - generally speaking. The odd thing pops up like Tom Watson wedges or John Daly starter sets but not like the past. I don't know why but I'd guess it's got to do with modern society and our seemingly insatiable need to prop ourselves up by putting others down. But I digress...

• Like 1

> @Swingingk said:

> > @deejaid said:

> > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > vgo6qpyoud3r.jpeg

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > k4zkw6yvnlyq.jpeg

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > ftaau681rmno.jpeg

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > 0ag1ord5yzea.jpeg

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > That's a beautiful set! Nice score.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > > > > >

> > > > > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > > > > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > I wonder too if guys looking for a new set of woods bought Wilson’s because they bought into the claims Wilson made about Strata-bloc? If they wanted persimmon they could buy any number of brands but Wilson and this fancy “Strata-bloc” so guys bought into the marketing. Wilson catalogs show the Strata-bloc and persimmon as being the same price.

> > >

> > > I think you might have something there. With everyone else making woods from persimmon and all the troublesome maintenance issues associated with moisture infiltration, variable grain patterns, and inconsistent weights, perhaps the laminate clubs were a real selling point for Wilson. I'm sure all the stories of pro's scouring the earth for the perfect piece of wood are true, but maybe the average Joe just wanted something more durable and stable, which Wilson's marketing was more than willing to seize upon. I would guess that a laminated wood would be much easier to manufacture with a higher degree of club-to-club consistency than wood from different parts of a tree. Well, just some random thoughts on the subject...

> >

> >

> > You are right. Most probably looked for convenience and the marketing of the sealed head that won’t be infiltrated by water, and by pricing the Strata-Bloc line the same as the persimmon it’s perceived quality was equal.

> >

> > I also wonder how much amateurs club choice was affected by the Pro’s of the day clubs? I mean there wasn’t a whole lot of choice from each manufacturer. You had a professional line and a few store models mostly with a Pro’s name.

>

> I've considered the "Pro effect" thing on older clubs before. My take on it is that the pro's name was much more important than what he/she was actually playing. Signature and pro-specific models seem to have been hugely popular before 1970 or so. There's so much of that type of thing from the 50's and 60's it's crazy. It must have been a pretty big seller back then, or at least more so than today. Who would buy the "Phil Mickelson Signature Model" iron set now? Nobody would be caught dead sporting that stuff - generally speaking. The odd thing pops up like Tom Watson wedges or John Daly starter sets but not like the past. I don't know why but I'd guess it's got to do with modern society and our seemingly insatiable need to prop ourselves up by putting others down. But I digress...

Yeah, I believe it was the 1960 or 61 Wilson golf catalog that showed the one set of Staff Dynapowered line and then had something like 12 signature models.

I also have a set of Macgregor M75 irons and a set of Macgregor Byron Nelson 259 irons and I find the Byron Nelson’s to be a nicer club than the M75. Just a nicer feeling shaft, better head shape, etc. Although the signature models were a lower level offering I don’t think there was too much difference in quality.

> @deejaid said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > > > > I picked up this set of Wilson Staff woods last week with all the iron sets I got. These are a little harder to come by as they are persimmon not Stata-bloc. I believe them to be 1962 or 63.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > I hit them for the first time this morning at the range and they flew very nice. I’m gonna take them out for a late 9 this afternoon.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > vgo6qpyoud3r.jpeg

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > k4zkw6yvnlyq.jpeg

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > ftaau681rmno.jpeg

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > 0ag1ord5yzea.jpeg

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > That's a beautiful set! Nice score.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Thanks SwingingK.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Took them out yesterday afternoon and on the first hole striped the driver about 245. Wow! I thought I was in for a great round driving the ball. Then the rest of the day I was hitting everything right and high. I think it has to do with my new driver set up my instructor has me trying as I am definitely not comfortable with it yet.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The 3 and 4 woods are lovely off the deck as I hit them wonderfully all round, didn’t even swing the 2-wood.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I’m going to keep them in the bag a bit as I think they work well once I get my driver tamed.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > > > > > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > > I wonder too if guys looking for a new set of woods bought Wilson’s because they bought into the claims Wilson made about Strata-bloc? If they wanted persimmon they could buy any number of brands but Wilson and this fancy “Strata-bloc” so guys bought into the marketing. Wilson catalogs show the Strata-bloc and persimmon as being the same price.

> > > >

> > > > I think you might have something there. With everyone else making woods from persimmon and all the troublesome maintenance issues associated with moisture infiltration, variable grain patterns, and inconsistent weights, perhaps the laminate clubs were a real selling point for Wilson. I'm sure all the stories of pro's scouring the earth for the perfect piece of wood are true, but maybe the average Joe just wanted something more durable and stable, which Wilson's marketing was more than willing to seize upon. I would guess that a laminated wood would be much easier to manufacture with a higher degree of club-to-club consistency than wood from different parts of a tree. Well, just some random thoughts on the subject...

> > >

> > >

> > > You are right. Most probably looked for convenience and the marketing of the sealed head that won’t be infiltrated by water, and by pricing the Strata-Bloc line the same as the persimmon it’s perceived quality was equal.

> > >

> > > I also wonder how much amateurs club choice was affected by the Pro’s of the day clubs? I mean there wasn’t a whole lot of choice from each manufacturer. You had a professional line and a few store models mostly with a Pro’s name.

> >

> > I've considered the "Pro effect" thing on older clubs before. My take on it is that the pro's name was much more important than what he/she was actually playing. Signature and pro-specific models seem to have been hugely popular before 1970 or so. There's so much of that type of thing from the 50's and 60's it's crazy. It must have been a pretty big seller back then, or at least more so than today. Who would buy the "Phil Mickelson Signature Model" iron set now? Nobody would be caught dead sporting that stuff - generally speaking. The odd thing pops up like Tom Watson wedges or John Daly starter sets but not like the past. I don't know why but I'd guess it's got to do with modern society and our seemingly insatiable need to prop ourselves up by putting others down. But I digress...

>

> Yeah, I believe it was the 1960 or 61 Wilson golf catalog that showed the one set of Staff Dynapowered line and then had something like 12 signature models.

>

>

> I also have a set of Macgregor M75 irons and a set of Macgregor Byron Nelson 259 irons and I find the Byron Nelson’s to be a nicer club than the M75. Just a nicer feeling shaft, better head shape, etc. Although the signature models were a lower level offering I don’t think there was too much difference in quality.

Man, MacGregor stuff is just so rare around here (Canadian prairies) that only one of my 25 or so sets bear their name. I've always wanted a set of anything with the black ceramic faces but I've never pulled the trigger on epay - my only source for them. My one set is a super-rare Tommy Armour Tourney set, model GA 210. I'm missing the 6 iron so I've never played a real round with them. I'm kind of anal about missing irons.

Also the blade is quite a bit bigger than I like. I'm one of those weird guys who gets scared looking at bigger irons. The smaller the blade the more comfortable and confident I am with it. Lol

I really need to break down and buy the Kaplan books. I love old catalogs and brochures (yet another of my collecting weaknesses) so it's a wonder I haven't picked them up yet.

s36efsslegst.jpg

oex9qkhf5e0m.jpg

Have mostly been selling bits and pieces the past couple of months, can't remember the last thing I bought. But just stumbled upon an item I've been looking for for years on ebay.co.uk. Thought I'd give the search for "busson" another chance expecting to see the same item I always see on that search (1939 GOLF CIGARETTE CARD #7 - BUNKER, J.J. BUSSON) but someone had this for sale (now I only have to get him to ship it to the Netherlands):

0434mjk0sfu3.jpg

> @84425 said:

> Have mostly been selling bits and pieces the past couple of months, can't remember the last thing I bought. But just stumbled upon an item I've been looking for for years on ebay.co.uk. Thought I'd give the search for "busson" another chance expecting to see the same item I always see on that search (1939 GOLF CIGARETTE CARD #7 - BUNKER, J.J. BUSSON) but someone had this for sale (now I only have to get him to ship it to the Netherlands):

> 0434mjk0sfu3.jpg

>

Great find! I look forward to more pictures when you finally get it in hand. A Busson is a pretty rare find, I think.

I found a nice set of Hogan vinyl head covers that match my vintage Fernquest & Johnson perfectly but needed a 4th. I found this one on eBay for $5 shipped. The pics in the listing were dark but I could tell there was some sort of pattern on it.

Well, I got it and it looks like something from the Haight-Ashbury circa 1967! Pretty cool!

ilyxro1hrvl6.jpeg

• Like 1

> @SpaldingBear2PW said:

> > @fluffy265 said:

> > Somehow I'd forgotten about these, possibly because I'd been hiding them from the Mrs.....

>

> Regardless of distribution point, they really are a good looking set. Found some of my own for $20 on facebook marketplace:

> 2s4xz9zebs0v.jpeg

>

>

My buddy has that exact set with the matching 1-3-5 laminate woods with the golden bear insert, that he got for $10 bucks last year. Not the most forgiving set to start his golf career with, but he's determined to give it a shot!

> @deejaid said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @deejaid said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > > @deejaid said:

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > >

> > > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > Geez, 245y out of the gate is pretty darn impressive. That driver must be a solid unit. Very nice. I'm not a Wilson expert but I'd think your about right on the age. I've got some late 50's persimmon Wilson's and they are a little different but quite similar. I'll post a pic for comparison when I get out to the garage.

> > > > I find it kind of weird that Wilson persimmons are seemingly so rare. They appear to be exactly the same as their much more available laminated maple brothers, just made of persimmon instead. Neat stuff!

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > I wonder too if guys looking for a new set of woods bought Wilson’s because they bought into the claims Wilson made about Strata-bloc? If they wanted persimmon they could buy any number of brands but Wilson and this fancy “Strata-bloc” so guys bought into the marketing. Wilson catalogs show the Strata-bloc and persimmon as being the same price.

> >

> > I think you might have something there. With everyone else making woods from persimmon and all the troublesome maintenance issues associated with moisture infiltration, variable grain patterns, and inconsistent weights, perhaps the laminate clubs were a real selling point for Wilson. I'm sure all the stories of pro's scouring the earth for the perfect piece of wood are true, but maybe the average Joe just wanted something more durable and stable, which Wilson's marketing was more than willing to seize upon. I would guess that a laminated wood would be much easier to manufacture with a higher degree of club-to-club consistency than wood from different parts of a tree. Well, just some random thoughts on the subject...

>

>

> You are right. Most probably looked for convenience and the marketing of the sealed head that won’t be infiltrated by water, and by pricing the Strata-Bloc line the same as the persimmon it’s perceived quality was equal.

>

Absolutely correct especially with the weekend warriors---- A lot of it had to do with price and what their local Pro pushed---- Those Strata Blocks required almost no real maintenance . At the end of the weekend throw them in the car trunk and forget them until Saturday morning----- On the pro line end Wilson had the best value my old man sold a lot of Wilson Equipment when he was a dealer for that line. If he was here today he would tell you he was a Macgregor man at heart but sold more Wilson equipment than anything else other than Bristol and Ram starter sets.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

A couple of recent purchases:

First, a Honma 3w with a carbon shaft. I've got a nice steel-shafted 3w, but wanted a carbon-shafted one as well. I've not seen a firing-pin insert on a Honma wood before, and I suspect it was a custom option. In fact, it was the main reason I decided to buy it.

Looks like I'll have to redo the clear-coat at some point (and I will be asking for help from the experts on this forum as I've never done it before).

k205pl8xhkuv.jpg

qwdpbahbm1cz.jpg

du5dk7c2qvrb.jpg

wz00dx1dd1os.jpg

Next is a Driver-4w set of Mizuno MS-1s, which I think dates them to early to mid-Eighties. They are shafted with Exsar Alpha gold carbon shafts in flex 8, which I understand is stiff (7 is regular). The 4w looks like it's never been hit. The driver is similar to one I had when I was a junior, although mine had a shallower face and a steel shaft. I always wondered what it would be like with a carbon shaft, which were then taking over in the metal woods. Anyway, I really like the way these two clubs set up to the ball. Slightly open at address, which is just perfect.

Coincidentally, I have a set of MS-1 irons (3-SW), and a old 8802-type Mizuno putter, so as I gaze into my crystal ball, I see an all MS-1 round in the near future...

0uemzw1l312h.jpg

wqpa8chptw0k.jpg

ft63p86atwxa.jpg

6ayfjhbnzm85.jpg

sjsgpjd7cajt.jpg

dfc3cf445p5g.jpg

p7u0p9gny6rs.jpg

ih3dqdq22xp8.jpg

> @Swingingk said:

> Wow what a great looking 3 wood! The insert is uniquely cool. The sole plate looks to be bronze too which is also uniquely cool, especially with the contrasting color of the brass screws. Nice find.

Thanks, I really like the insert. The LB range all had brass soleplates, and judging by the amount on sale on the Japanese auction sites, I can guess they were pretty popular. The idea was to lower the CoG and help get the ball in the air.

I was torn between getting this 3w and an LG GET 3w, which is pretty cool because it has rails on the sole, a bit like the old TaylorMade Raylors. Possibly inspired by the Ginty?

4zu9foiaw9o2.jpg

Very nice Catchy. The Mizuno Exsar Gold shaft line was the hot shaft to put in any driver during that time.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > @Swingingk said:

> > Wow what a great looking 3 wood! The insert is uniquely cool. The sole plate looks to be bronze too which is also uniquely cool, especially with the contrasting color of the brass screws. Nice find.

>

> Thanks, I really like the insert. The LB range all had brass soleplates, and judging by the amount on sale on the Japanese auction sites, I can guess they were pretty popular. The idea was to lower the CoG and help get the ball in the air.

> I was torn between getting this 3w and an LG GET 3w, which is pretty cool because it has rails on the sole, a bit like the old TaylorMade Raylors. Possibly inspired by the Ginty?

> 4zu9foiaw9o2.jpg

>

Oh yeah, grab the Big LB Get - very nifty and yes, quite ginty'esque as it were.

Yes it is cool and different to have a brass driver sole plate instead of the usual aluminum, but that bad boy has a "bronze" sole plate and I've never seen that before. The usual brass has a yellow look to it but bronze has more copper and therefore looks more red. Bronze is more corrosion resistant which it why marine brightwork is made of it. It's also more expensive. Very, very cool. It's going to be a beautiful full set!

Edit: Whoops! I got all excited there and screwed that up. It's the 3-wood sole plate I was looking at. That's the one with what looks like a bronze bottom. It's getting late and I'm tired... lol

> @Bigarch said:

> Very nice Catchy. The Mizuno Exsar Gold shaft line was the hot shaft to put in any driver during that time.

That's good to know. I really don't know anything about the carbon shafts of the period, other than what I have found out myself through hitting them.

> @Swingingk said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > @Swingingk said:

> > > Wow what a great looking 3 wood! The insert is uniquely cool. The sole plate looks to be bronze too which is also uniquely cool, especially with the contrasting color of the brass screws. Nice find.

> >

> > Thanks, I really like the insert. The LB range all had brass soleplates, and judging by the amount on sale on the Japanese auction sites, I can guess they were pretty popular. The idea was to lower the CoG and help get the ball in the air.

> > I was torn between getting this 3w and an LG GET 3w, which is pretty cool because it has rails on the sole, a bit like the old TaylorMade Raylors. Possibly inspired by the Ginty?

> > 4zu9foiaw9o2.jpg

> >

>

> Oh yeah, grab the Big LB Get - very nifty and yes, quite ginty'esque as it were.

>

> Yes it is cool and different to have a brass driver sole plate instead of the usual aluminum, but that bad boy has a "bronze" sole plate and I've never seen that before. The usual brass has a yellow look to it but bronze has more copper and therefore looks more red. Bronze is more corrosion resistant which it why marine brightwork is made of it. It's also more expensive. Very, very cool. It's going to be a beautiful full set!

>

> Edit: Whoops! I got all excited there and screwed that up. It's the 3-wood sole plate I was looking at. That's the one with what looks like a bronze bottom. It's getting late and I'm tired... lol

I see what you mean about the sole plate colour being more reddish. Is there any way to test whether it's bronze or brass without damaging it?

> > @Bigarch said:

> > Very nice Catchy. The Mizuno Exsar Gold shaft line was the hot shaft to put in any driver during that time.

>

> That's good to know. I really don't know anything about the carbon shafts of the period, other than what I have found out myself through hitting them.

>

> > @Swingingk said:

> > > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > > > @Swingingk said:

> > > > Wow what a great looking 3 wood! The insert is uniquely cool. The sole plate looks to be bronze too which is also uniquely cool, especially with the contrasting color of the brass screws. Nice find.

> > >

> > > Thanks, I really like the insert. The LB range all had brass soleplates, and judging by the amount on sale on the Japanese auction sites, I can guess they were pretty popular. The idea was to lower the CoG and help get the ball in the air.

> > > I was torn between getting this 3w and an LG GET 3w, which is pretty cool because it has rails on the sole, a bit like the old TaylorMade Raylors. Possibly inspired by the Ginty?

> > > 4zu9foiaw9o2.jpg

> > >

> >

> > Oh yeah, grab the Big LB Get - very nifty and yes, quite ginty'esque as it were.

> >

> > Yes it is cool and different to have a brass driver sole plate instead of the usual aluminum, but that bad boy has a "bronze" sole plate and I've never seen that before. The usual brass has a yellow look to it but bronze has more copper and therefore looks more red. Bronze is more corrosion resistant which it why marine brightwork is made of it. It's also more expensive. Very, very cool. It's going to be a beautiful full set!

> >

> > Edit: Whoops! I got all excited there and screwed that up. It's the 3-wood sole plate I was looking at. That's the one with what looks like a bronze bottom. It's getting late and I'm tired... lol

>

> I see what you mean about the sole plate colour being more reddish. Is there any way to test whether it's bronze or brass without damaging it?

I don't know of any way to test it... but it's bronze. ? Just the color gives it away. It's cool cuz it's like an extra swanky detail, in my opinion anyway.

> @Bigarch said:

> Very nice Catchy. The Mizuno Exsar Gold shaft line was the hot shaft to put in any driver during that time.

Agreed---- but back in those days I could still rope hook one just like any other graphite---- HA HA-----

> Next is a Driver-4w set of Mizuno MS-1s, which I think dates them to early to mid-Eighties. They are shafted with Exsar Alpha gold carbon shafts in flex 8, which I understand is stiff (7 is regular). The 4w looks like it's never been hit. The driver is similar to one I had when I was a junior, although mine had a shallower face and a steel shaft. I always wondered what it would be like with a carbon shaft, which were then taking over in the metal woods. Anyway, I really like the way these two clubs set up to the ball. Slightly open at address, which is just perfect.

> Coincidentally, I have a set of MS-1 irons (3-SW), and a old 8802-type Mizuno putter, so as I gaze into my crystal ball, I see an all MS-1 round in the near future...

> 0uemzw1l312h.jpg

> wqpa8chptw0k.jpg

> ft63p86atwxa.jpg

> 6ayfjhbnzm85.jpg

> sjsgpjd7cajt.jpg

> dfc3cf445p5g.jpg

> p7u0p9gny6rs.jpg

> ih3dqdq22xp8.jpg

>

Nice stuff Catchy---- I like the little compact look on that 4 wood----- And you mentioned the 8802 style Mizuno putter---- You will love it all those Mizuno putters have a buttery feel----- My buddy the Miura dealer putts with an Anser style Mizuno TP Mills #2. That is one soft feeling putter and softer than any Miura and he will admit that. The only thing you need now to go all Mizuno is one of those Faldo style Mizuno Staff bags

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > Next is a Driver-4w set of Mizuno MS-1s, which I think dates them to early to mid-Eighties. They are shafted with Exsar Alpha gold carbon shafts in flex 8, which I understand is stiff (7 is regular). The 4w looks like it's never been hit. The driver is similar to one I had when I was a junior, although mine had a shallower face and a steel shaft. I always wondered what it would be like with a carbon shaft, which were then taking over in the metal woods. Anyway, I really like the way these two clubs set up to the ball. Slightly open at address, which is just perfect.

> > Coincidentally, I have a set of MS-1 irons (3-SW), and a old 8802-type Mizuno putter, so as I gaze into my crystal ball, I see an all MS-1 round in the near future...

> > 0uemzw1l312h.jpg

> > wqpa8chptw0k.jpg

> > ft63p86atwxa.jpg

> > 6ayfjhbnzm85.jpg

> > sjsgpjd7cajt.jpg

> > dfc3cf445p5g.jpg

> > p7u0p9gny6rs.jpg

> > ih3dqdq22xp8.jpg

> >

>

> Nice stuff Catchy---- I like the little compact look on that 4 wood----- And you mentioned the 8802 style Mizuno putter---- You will love it all those Mizuno putters have a buttery feel----- My buddy the Miura dealer putts with an Anser style Mizuno TP Mills #2. That is one soft feeling putter and softer than any Miura and he will admit that. The only thing you need now to go all Mizuno is one of those Faldo style Mizuno Staff bags

If I found one of those staff bags going cheap, I'd be squealing like a little girl.

Trying to cool off any more purchases for a while as I've pretty much filled all the gaps I wanted to fill.

I was looking at a set of Custom Mac persimmons (1, 3, 4, and 5) and found myself more tempted by the three green Macgregor head covers the seller was throwing in with the woods. Dangerous...