Why not add Canada to the Ryder Cup?

Scaldy

Id like to see them scrap the Ryder/Presidents Cup format and go to something more like the International Crown that the LPGA just started doing. As for the Canadians joining the American team, no thanks. We dont want them and they wouldnt make any difference in the outcome.
As an American, I have absolutely no interest in teaming up with the Canadians

Id like to see them scrap the Ryder/Presidents Cup format and go to something more like the International Crown that the LPGA just started doing. As for the Canadians joining the American team, no thanks. We dont want them and they wouldnt make any difference in the outcome.
As an American, I have absolutely no interest in teaming up with the Canadians

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1412126874' post='10215319']
Not as players. They would get out of the way and concede. We don't need a synchronized Ryder Cup with twirling legs. But maybe as coach. Canadians have no problem with that. Their curlers go to China and elsewhere to coach national teams, even against Canadians. Kevin Martin is just bald and boring and articulate enough to lead USA 2016. Besides, curlers deal with strategy and placement on literally every stone. I don't doubt they'd be astute with team pairings.
[/quote]
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1412212175' post='10220849']
There must be reasons not to like Canada. One time I had a CFL team -2.5 and up by 3 it gave up a rouge in the final seconds to win by 2. That can't be forgiven. Another time in Quebec I bought gas at a mom and pop station and the kid tried to screw me over through the language barrier by pointing at the number of liters and claiming it was the price in Canadian dollars. Not until I laughed and started to call the Canadian police did he back away. I told him I dealt with con men in Las Vegas every day who made him look like Cinderella. But imagine how many tourists he successfully pulled that on.

Anyway, if Kevin Martin is not available I'm willing to settle for Cheryl Bernard. Of course, she has a tendency to choke down the stretch. She can pick the first 9 singles matches but nothing beyond that.
[/quote]

How does an American from Miami, FL (& it appears you went to school in Southern California?) get to be so well educated in our other winter pastime? I know a large percentage of Canadians (I'm talking about those who were born here) have no idea what sport Kevin Martin or Cheryl Bernard won their Olympic medals in. It sounds to me like you have followed and possibly played the sport of curing (another Scottish invention). I'm impressed.

On a side note as a patriotic Canadian, I have to agree that through most of the time the Ryder Cup has been contended, Canada hasn't had much in the way of talent to contribute. I'm proud of Knudsen, Barr, Nelford, Weir & DeLaet, but I doubt that they would have made any of their respective Ryder Cup Teams on points. Hopefully DeLaet & maybe Hearn can change that perception. Just too many potentially good golfers get drafted to the NHL.

How does an American from Miami, FL (& it appears you went to school in Southern California?) get to be so well educated in our other winter pastime? I know a large percentage of Canadians (I'm talking about those who were born here) have no idea what sport Kevin Martin or Cheryl Bernard won their Olympic medals in.

Not too hard not to know Cheryl.....mmmmm.....nice looking mom....Oh Canada Baby!!!

I'm still disappointed she and her team choked away the gold medal in 2010.

stay%2Bfit%2Bto%2Bstay%2Bfocus.jpg

[quote name='Bubbalongball' timestamp='1412261372' post='10223743']
[quote name='Awsi Dooger' timestamp='1412236855' post='10222455']
I should have mentioned that the gas anecdote was from the late '80s when the liter price was far less than a dollar. It was something like 50 liters and 15 Canadian dollars but the crook tried to charge me $50 Canadian.
[/quote]

That sucks, I live in New Brunswick the province beside Quebec and for most Maritimers (New Brunsick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland) if there was a bridge that went over top of Quebec most Maritime people would take it. They are very difficult to deal with and if you do not speak french you really need to be careful. There are definitely some great people there but the negative in the province far out ways the good ones.
[/quote]
OK...I'll jump on the get down on Quebec bandwagon.

At a disco in Quebec City....a female bartender was banging on the bar and yelling in French to an Anglophone.....I asked a colleague for a translation...she was asking for a more generous tip.....yet a Francophone never tipped her yet she said nothing and then when another Anglophone spilled some of their drink....she just threw a rag at him.

At Schwartz's deli in Montreal...try to get served as a Anglophone before a Francophone....lmao.

I was in a limo in Toronto for 45 minutes with three fellow managers from Montreal heading to the airport......I know these managers quite well and we all get along and like each other...yet they all spoke French for the entire duration of the ride.

[quote name='Ampire2121' timestamp='1412282547' post='10225769']
We blame Canada for everything so it would be a good scapegoat
[/quote]

More like Canada blames us for everything?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1412283046' post='10225825']
[quote name='Ampire2121' timestamp='1412282547' post='10225769']
We blame Canada for everything so it would be a good scapegoat
[/quote]

More like Canada blames us for everything?
[/quote]

Lies.

We blame Quebec for everything. Or Alberta if you live in BC

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1412280124' post='10225505']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1412209913' post='10220623']
Easiest people in the world to get along with...

1. Bermudians
2. Anyone in Ireland
3. The entire country of Canada

1,760. People from the US
[/quote]
So does this mean you'll give me 3 strokes a side cause I'm such a nice guy? :taunt:
[/quote]

You know Putt, every rule needs to gave an exception.

[quote name='Mr22putt' timestamp='1412280810' post='10225577']
I should have mentioned that the gas anecdote was from the late '80s when the liter price was far less than a dollar. It was something like 50 liters and 15 Canadian dollars but the crook tried to charge me $50 Canadian.
[/quote]

That sucks, I live in New Brunswick the province beside Quebec and for most Maritimers (New Brunsick, Nova Scotia, PEI, Newfoundland) if there was a bridge that went over top of Quebec most Maritime people would take it. They are very difficult to deal with and if you do not speak french you really need to be careful. There are definitely some great people there but the negative in the province far out ways the good ones.
[/quote]

At a disco in Quebec City....a female bartender was banging on the bar and yelling in French to an Anglophone.....I asked a colleague for a translation...she was asking for a more generous tip.....yet a Francophone never tipped her yet she said nothing and then when another Anglophone spilled some of their drink....she just threw a rag at him.

At Schwartz's deli in Montreal...try to get served as a Anglophone before a Francophone....lmao.

I was in a limo in Toronto for 45 minutes with three fellow managers from Montreal heading to the airport......I know these managers quite well and we all get along and like each other...yet they all spoke French for the entire duration of the ride.
[/quote]

Quebec isnt bad if you are in the city. Most french Montrealers are not separatist and will genuinely "frenglish" to you if they sense you are more comfortable in English. It's the outskirts that kind of cause trouble in the elections. Montreal is an international city

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1412294327' post='10226713']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Quebec isnt bad if you are in the city. Most french Montrealers are not separatist and will genuinely "frenglish" to you if they sense you are more comfortable in English. It's the outskirts that kind of cause trouble in the elections. Montreal is an international city
[/quote]

As an Anglophone who moved to Quebec City seven years ago with 0% ability to speak, write or understand French, and has been around the province, including the Montreal region (in which I personally find the spoken French language a rarity on the streets); it is no worse than any other place in the world. There will always be people trying to screw us out of our money or with prejudices. This is nothing unique to people living in Quebec or speaking French.

Yes, some people do indeed have an attitude, but I have found that if one expects an attitude they can surely find it in others, when in fact it may be partially them (and I have been guilty of that myself) in how they are filtering things.

Personally, it has been a great growing experience for me as I have learned how to better communicate. When you don't really understand words you start to take advantage of the other 80% of communication (tone and body language) that most people ignore or take for granted (myself included from when I was in an english only world).

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[i]At a disco in Quebec City....a female bartender was banging on the bar and yelling in French to an Anglophone.....I asked a colleague for a translation...she was asking for a more generous tip.....yet a Francophone never tipped her yet she said nothing and then when another Anglophone spilled some of their drink....she just threw a rag at him.[/i][list]
[*]Um ... the bartender was a b$tch, nothing to do with speaking french - I'm pretty sure we could find an equivalent speaking any other language
[*]The tipping thing does bug me a bit as I find most of my French colleagues just do not tip (but will spend a small fortune on wine) and the bartender obviously knew it and thus put pressure on the tipping patrons - personally with that attitude I would have told her to f$$k-off and leave no tip
[/list]
[i]At Schwartz's deli in Montreal...try to get served as a Anglophone before a Francophone....lmao.[/i][list]
[*]Who knows - woke up on the wrong side of the dog house, cannot really understand english and did not want to look stupid, or just rude, etc.
[/list]
[i]I was in a limo in Toronto for 45 minutes with three fellow managers from Montreal heading to the airport......I know these managers quite well and we all get along and like each other...yet they all spoke French for the entire duration of the ride.[/i][list]
[*]This is a refection of the managers, not French people. I've been with people of different cultures all guilty of this one and none of them saw any issue
[/list]
The thing is, we can say it is because these people spoke French or that they are in Quebec, but if we are being honest we can easily find similar behaviour closer to where we live and then what is the excuse/reason in those cases? People often tend not to be as nice to strangers as to familiar customers. Really, people are not too bright in general. Just look at the average golfer who has a slice who will not change anything or try anything new, but still is expecting that slice to magically go away one day.

Wilson Deep Red II Tour (9.0)
King Cobra SZ (15.5), G10 HY (18, 21, 24)
MP-32 5i - 9i, Vokey SM5 50, 54 (F), 58 (M)
Rife Aussie

[quote name='BenHoganSlam1953' timestamp='1412299533' post='10227195']
[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1412294327' post='10226713']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

As an Anglophone who moved to Quebec City seven years ago with 0% ability to speak, write or understand French, and has been around the province, including the Montreal region (in which I personally find the spoken French language a rarity on the streets); it is no worse than any other place in the world. There will always be people trying to screw us out of our money or with prejudices. This is nothing unique to people living in Quebec or speaking French.

Yes, some people do indeed have an attitude, but I have found that if one expects an attitude they can surely find it in others, when in fact it may be partially them (and I have been guilty of that myself) in how they are filtering things.

Personally, it has been a great growing experience for me as I have learned how to better communicate. When you don't really understand words you start to take advantage of the other 80% of communication (tone and body language) that most people ignore or take for granted (myself included from when I was in an english only world).
[/quote]

As I've mentioned, I really like to visit Canada and have many times. Now that it has been brought up (LOL); yes sometimes in the rural areas of Eastern Quebec, some of the people can be a bit standoffish toward Americans, but absolutely nothing that would prevent me from visiting there. Quebec City and Montreal.......They're just the same as NYC to me. I know because I'm in NYC all the time, as I live only 35 miles from Times Square.

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

[quote name='Tmiller72' timestamp='1412294195' post='10226699']
Not sure which idea is worse, this one or the one about adding a scramble format to the Ryder Cup? Good lord.
[/quote]

Have to agree. Might as well just add every country while we're at it and no one wins, no one loses. Isn't that how they do it now with youngsters in sports?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You don't think maybe the common denominator for this behaviour was you, do you? ;)
Never had an issue at Schwartz's, IMO you misintepreted or are BSing, either way really. The amount of tourist and Anglo traffic that place gets, no way.

After two years in Quebec a few years ago I got to transfer to California; however, while there I only experienced anything that could be called anti-Anglo sentiment once, when buying some furniture off of Lespac out in the sticks, otherwise nothing. Living in QC instead of Montreal, there was a lot more opportunity to 'mix' as it were and amongst the people I met it wasn't a thing.

If you show up with a ROC chip on your shoulder you can find scenarios wherever you want to fit your narrative, but like BHS1953 says, these are just anecdotes you are sharing not terrible francophone/awesome anglophone anecdotes.

Interesting. figured an 'Merica angle could develop, but not this one. Ha :)
Is political talk a lock on this forum? Or maybe being Canada it's only funny politics, like Canadian Tire money versus real money.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1412314826' post='10228291']
Interesting. figured an 'Merica angle could develop, but not this one. Ha :)
Is political talk a lock on this forum? Or maybe being Canada it's only funny politics, like Canadian Tire money versus real money.
[/quote]

Speaking there of, did you see the promo the Ottawa Senators have had for the duration of the Pre-Season?

why not do some sort of commonwealth or british empire event?

canada vs. aus vs. nz vs. safrica vs. zimbabwe vs. india vs. england vs. scotland vs. wales etc. ... and other places........... 3 or 4 man teams.... wouldn't cost that much (maybe guys would do it for free like presidents/ryder/etc.).......

grunching completely here........ but quebec women are so sexy. probably cause they are so stylish. even not so good looking ones are good in quebec.

i've never been (can picture right where it is though) but i always heard that the bar called dagobar (phonetic spelling) in quebec city is all-world..... if you've never been to quebec city, it's like a piece of europe right in north america. montreal is amazing city too but less european feel. quebec city feels just like being in europe.

• 6 years later...