2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Charity tournament tomorrow: 47º with 21mph wind at start...

This should be fun. I bet there's wind gusts on top of that too that might be closer to 30mph. That's about 10º, maybe 15º below my former absolute minimum wind chill number (figure this will feel like mid-30's) for playing golf. And that's the conditions at a noon start. It's only going to warm up another 2º-3º on the course. At least it's going to be clear and sunny and not rainy like today (although the course will be soggy). I'm in Houston. We don't deal with this weather and play golf in it. There's too many other good weather days in the winter you can play.

Having bought some new winter clothes for golf and yesterday morning being chilly, I went to the range with what I thought would work for Monday, and sure enough it would at least for the 45 minutes I was there, but yesterday it was about 50º and the wind was only about 12-15mph. Maybe I just wear a coat or jacket on top in the cart and take it off for the tee box and approach shots. I was already going with Under Armour base top and bottom, Nike rain/wind pants, and Nike therm-fit half-zip pullover and vest.

Into the wind and factoring in the cold also, I bet there's going to be some "add 6 clubs" scenarios. I already had to add 3 or 4 clubs at the range yesterday. I think I might warm up my golf balls to hot summer trunk of car temperatures before heading for the course and then putting them in a little insulated drink cooler to keep them warm, to help save a little of the distance. Anyone do that? I'd switch to a warm one after two holes I suppose.

How do you deal with cold conditions on the course without letting your muscles get cold or stiff and without sacrificing any mobility in your swing?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Free swingr' timestamp='1416163887' post='10456151']
I would never not show up for a tourney but in those weather conditions I think I'd rather be at work.

I can't believe I just said that. Lol.
[/quote]

I'm about to say the same. Although I just went and bought an under armour toboggan. I couldn't find whatever beat up excuse for one I thought I had. A hat ain't gonna keep my ears warm.

[quote name='LCP' timestamp='1416155202' post='10455571']

How do you deal with cold conditions on the course without letting your muscles get cold or stiff and without sacrificing any mobility in your swing?
[/quote]

You don't really. Keep moving and try and stay lose, get some hand warmers and maybe a hot thermos, but bottom line you're going to be physically compromised.

The key is to simply understand this. Take an extra club, focus on 'trying' to be smooth and plan for the possible consequences of not being at 100%.

I would use it as a learning exersize if this is out of the ordinary for you. Best of luck.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

I mentioned this in another post.. and I know it may be a little late for you today, but there's some really warm and thin hockey "warm up" gear we use up here for pond hockey. You could argue that we are warm because we are playing hockey, but I'll argue that the clothes do play a part when we are playing in the warm up sweats and a thermal with a pull over when its 10 degrees outside.

Your top layer HAS TO block the wind. It doesnt matter if you've got 10 layers of clothing on, if the wind isn't blocked, your going to be cold, but if you can block the wind, you take the wind-chill factor out, and now it's a lot closer to that 45 degree mark. There's a thermal in the under armour line called the 4.0 heat gear, and man, with an insulated windbreaker style pullover over that, you'll be warm.

Hand warmers, one for each pocket, these will go out fast so get back ups, and a set of mittens with a handwarmer in each of those. Keep something on your head, and wear wool socks.

Best of luck OP! Be sure to chime in when I've got something to say about how I cant stay cool when it's 90 degrees outside! haha

I have Under Armour cold gear pants and pullover. Makes a great base layer. Put a Footjoy mock over it, pair of pants and a polar fleece and good to go. I have those Footjoy winter gloves too but they do make it a bit more difficult to swing. Put on a knit hat and off you go. Can be done but it is unpleasant to play in those conditions.

Want to trade? It's 17 degrees here in Chicago. I played a few weeks ago, and it was 39 degrees, rainy, with 20+ mph winds. As others noted, layer up with a base layer, a long sleeve polo or mock, a wind vest, and a light outer jacket. The Mizuno Windlite is a great piece of gear, but it's probably too late for you to pick one up. Add headgear, ear covers, winter golf gloves, and wool socks, and you should be good to go.

Obviously, the extra layers are going to restrict your swing, so plan on an extra club or two, along with the adjustments for wind and cold temps. One shot at a time. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Lastly, it helps if you remind yourself that it could be worse. :taunt:

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

[quote name='Argonne69' timestamp='1416240301' post='10460553']
Want to trade? It's 17 degrees here in Chicago. I played a few weeks ago, and it was 39 degrees, rainy, with 20+ mph winds. As others noted, layer up with a base layer, a long sleeve polo or mock, a wind vest, and a light outer jacket. The Mizuno Windlite is a great piece of gear, but it's probably too late for you to pick one up. Add headgear, ear covers, winter golf gloves, and wool socks, and you should be good to go.

Obviously, the extra layers are going to restrict your swing, so plan on an extra club or two, along with the adjustments for wind and cold temps. One shot at a time. Don't get ahead of yourself.

Lastly, it helps if you remind yourself that it could be worse. :taunt:
[/quote]

Sounds like a heat wave to me. :lol:

Man you southerners are getting soft!

Scared of 47 degrees and some wind?

When we get those numbers in the forecast this time of the year, we're making tee times! Then, we come home and wash the cars.

I'm pretty sure our Canadian friends would be opening their pools!

Bundle up, have fun and add 3 more clubs than you think!

X________________________________ Sign Here

So many namby pambees these days with their high launch irons sickens this wind lover.

Swing with a more loopy swing on approaches is the cure.
You have been destroyed yes.

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Had a good time. I didn't regret not being at work one bit. I wore enough to stay warm, and thanks to new gear, don't feel like it slowed me down hardly at all. The wind wasn't as bad as forecast: 10-15mph steady, with 20-22 gusts probably. But it was a bit cooler at start; probably 45, up to no more than 50 in the day. It was a death march at about 5:15 to play (189 registered for a 36 hole club, although there were probably a dozen or more no shows). It was really hard to hit accurate approach shots so it was hard to make birdies. We were -5 gross/-11 net, bringing up the rear of the pack of better teams (about top third), but the "winners" were *cough*cough* -13 gross/-20 net, in weather like this. That's right -13 with 7 strokes of adjustment for their handicaps on a day like today. My longest drive all day was on the first hole and was about 275 with the tail wind. I was 5 inches away from a natural birdie on that hole. Then I started stinking up the drives til late in the round, and even with the wind a bit calmer, but into it, absolute bombs of shots would only go 250-260 in these conditions.

For the record, clothes were Under Armour mock compression long sleeve shirt, Nike therma-fit ¼-zip pullover, Nike therma-fit vest and Nike storm-fit Hyper adapt jacket (I would take the jacket off to swing on the tee box or full swing approach shots). Bottoms were Under Armour compression leggings, Izod dri-fit golf pants and Nike storm-fit Hyper adapt pants (yes, two pairs of pants). And I wore an Under Armour toboggan and golf glove on both hands, and leather Nike Lunar Control shoes. So the top layer was the Nike storm-fit stuff, and that worked fine. Then I needed a layer (or two on my core) between it and my under layer for insulation.

By the way, staying cool when it's 90 is cake. All you need it dri-fit everything (including socks, underwear and ventilated shoes). Now it's challenging when the heat index is 105-110 though, but the key there is the Aussie chiller hat and Frogtog chilly pad dunked in ice every 20 minutes.

Had a good time. I didn't regret not being at work one bit. I wore enough to stay warm, and thanks to new gear, don't feel like it slowed me down hardly at all. The wind wasn't as bad as forecast: 10-15mph steady, with 20-22 gusts probably. But it was a bit cooler at start; probably 45, up to no more than 50 in the day. It was a death march at about 5:15 to play (189 registered for a 36 hole club, although there were probably a dozen or more no shows). It was really hard to hit accurate approach shots so it was hard to make birdies. We were -5 gross/-11 net, bringing up the rear of the pack of better teams (about top third), but the "winners" were *cough*cough* -13 gross/-20 net, in weather like this. That's right -13 with 7 strokes of adjustment for their handicaps on a day like today. My longest drive all day was on the first hole and was about 275 with the tail wind. I was 5 inches away from a natural birdie on that hole. Then I started stinking up the drives til late in the round, and even with the wind a bit calmer, but into it, absolute bombs of shots would only go 250-260 in these conditions.

For the record, clothes were Under Armour mock compression long sleeve shirt, Nike therma-fit ¼-zip pullover, Nike therma-fit vest and Nike storm-fit Hyper adapt jacket (I would take the jacket off to swing on the tee box or full swing approach shots). Bottoms were Under Armour compression leggings, Izod dri-fit golf pants and Nike storm-fit Hyper adapt pants (yes, two pairs of pants). And I wore an Under Armour toboggan and golf glove on both hands, and leather Nike Lunar Control shoes. So the top layer was the Nike storm-fit stuff, and that worked fine. Then I needed a layer (or two on my core) between it and my under layer for insulation.

By the way, staying cool when it's 90 is cake. All you need it dri-fit everything (including socks, underwear and ventilated shoes). Now it's challenging when the heat index is 105-110 though, but the key there is the Aussie chiller hat and Frogtog chilly pad dunked in ice every 20 minutes.

%7BEA8B18E1-96B4-41C0-BBAA-9AFD8FFC4CA6%7D76829311_10.jpg

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I played in a memorial tournament with my Father-in-Law the day after Halloween up in Muscle Shoals, it was 44* with gusts up to 24mph.... rough day for sure. Into the wind = +3 clubs. Downwind = watch out. Having been stationed in San Diego and Jacksonville for the last 13+ years it was the coldest weather I've played in a loooong time. Still had a great time though. Nothing a little scotch can't warm up.

Most people in So. Calif go into hybernation when those temps and weather conditions come around. For people in places like Wisconsin or Minnesota or Canada I guess that's sun bathing weather :D

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1416327199' post='10466553']
Most people in So. Calif go into hybernation when those temps and weather conditions come around. For people in places like Wisconsin or Minnesota or Canada I guess that's sun bathing weather :D
[/quote]

That's why I carry earmuffs and sun block in my bag.

[quote name='gaikentm' timestamp='1416332378' post='10467143']
Op and others: Do you use a softer ball or different than your normal in the winter? A few people in my group swear by this, I've never really thought of this till this year.
[/quote]

I think most people do in the cold. I tried going all the way down to dt solos that i got for free but they were still mushy in 40 degree weather. If it's above 50 then theres not much to worry about, but I switched to regular z stars and titleist velocities and I actually learned to really love them both over all. I hit my longest drive ever on my final round when it was 38 with a velocity actually. Youre going to lose distance in the cold no matter what, so using a more playable ball for the loss of swing speed and the cold makes it a bit more enjoyable, and you dont want to cry every time you lose one since they dont cost $4 a ball =)

[quote name='Tcann32' timestamp='1416333055' post='10467231']
[quote name='gaikentm' timestamp='1416332378' post='10467143']
Op and others: Do you use a softer ball or different than your normal in the winter? A few people in my group swear by this, I've never really thought of this till this year.
[/quote]

I think most people do in the cold. I tried going all the way down to dt solos that i got for free but they were still mushy in 40 degree weather. If it's above 50 then theres not much to worry about, but I switched to regular z stars and titleist velocities and I actually learned to really love them both over all. I hit my longest drive ever on my final round when it was 38 with a velocity actually. Youre going to lose distance in the cold no matter what, so using a more playable ball for the loss of swing speed and the cold makes it a bit more enjoyable, and you dont want to cry every time you lose one since they dont cost $4 a ball =)
[/quote]

I've experimented with softer balls in cold weather and I'm not sure it makes much difference.

If it's windy (even if it's cold and windy) I stay with the usual pro v1. In windy conditions I know I'll need to pitch, chip and putt well so I stay with a ball I like around the greens.

Anyone check out Buffalo (actually just south) - already have 4 foot on the ground and it's coming down between 3-4 inches per hour for the next 6 hours - it will continue to lake effect until Friday!!! Ditto Watertown NY. Now that would be something to play in.

B2ulPDHIAAAPWk4.jpg

B2u5ayAIMAAveyz.jpg

B2ucm7CCMAAzR6J.jpg

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified