2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

S300 for around 5 years, went to XP S300 Dynamite, tested 5.5 PXs, went back to S300 in MP-53s, then bought J15CBs sight unseen from a fellow WRXER. They had 125S shafts and I had never hit Nippon shafts before. It was night and day better for me. Higher launch, same weight, tighter dispersion, and smooth smooth smoooth.

New favorite shaft for a long time.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1443026485' post='12356400']
[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442973555' post='12353592']
[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1442955729' post='12352112']
[quote name='neilcsd' timestamp='1442896609' post='12348472']
This has probably been answered a few times...but what's the diff between 120x and 125x?

Really appreciate the answers!
[/quote]

120 will feel softer, launch lower initially but rise quicker and higher apex. 125 will feel stiffer and launch medium, with mid spin and a flatter/lower apex. 120 is for smooth transition people, less wrist action, early release caster types. 125 is for converted DG players looking for smoother feel with similar launch & spin. 125 is friendly to both mid and late releasers.

The 120 is love / hate. You love it or you hate it. I haven't met many luke-warm types about 120. A steel version of a Diamana White or Matrix Radix 7N.
The 125 seems to fit anyone. Very user friendly. The steel version of a Speeder 757, Diamana Blue, Aldila VS proto if you will.
[/quote]

One more question for you...and then I'll leave you alone, I promise. REALLY appreciate everything!

So I went to a driving range today and one of the pros I know had a launch monitor, I got on it to see if I could see anything. One thing we both noticed right away was that my toe was down 3.5-4.5 degrees on EVERY shot. Given that I was hitting my 8i 170-175 (with a couple 180ers in there) on every shot, we both thought that this definitely confirmed that the 120S is way too soft for me. Also of note - this was with knockdown 8i shots, where I was just feeling tempo and not really trying to hit it as far as I usually do.

Given this, do you still think the 120x would be a good choice, or would the 120tx be better? Or go to 125 (what flex)? I know that without seeing me in person and getting real numbers it's REALLY hard to say...but if you had to give me a swag (scientific wild-a** guess) what would you say? I can't afford to spend $100+ on a true fitting at this point (last one was $150 and got me into this bit of a mess) and still afford the shafts. Nor do I have access to anyone here in SD that has MP54s with a ton of shaft options I could hit to test.

Thanks bud, truly appreciate it.
[/quote]
I would say if like that softer feel of the 120S then 120X, maybe hardstepped. If you want a firmer feel, maybe 120TX, possibly soft-stepped once? If you want to feel more lag and more release in your shaft then 125X straight in. Tough to tell without seeing you in person and not talking more about feeling.
[/quote]

Well, I finally had a chance to hit the 120x and 125x today and for me the 120x was a CLEAR winner, both in terms of feel and performance. The 125x felt dead in my hands, and the ball flight just felt super low compared to what I'm used to. From a pure feel standpoint alone I almost stopped the comparison, but I did my due diligence and did a launch monitor comparison - see attached image. I'd say the 120x (top club) is a clear winner, would you agree?

The only thing that concerns me is that the toe is still fairly down on the 120x. Does this mean anything to you? My tests were done with a 6i. I lost 1/2 club in distance but that's fine, the dispersion looked really good, both to the eye and on the LM.

Currently have AP2 with KBS Tour ssx1- and I really like this shaft.

Think I'm changing it up to the new CF Apex- the one concern I have with this head is the reports of low spin due to the combination of string lofts and cup face, so I think I'd like a shaft to has some spin to it.

Am I thinking correctly? If so, what do you think for Nippon shaft recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Yankees Suck

^

I would def demo those heads before I splurged on them. I use to play KBS tour stiff ssx1 before going back to s300 and now play modus 125 stiff ssx1. The modus is the best of both the KBS and DG IMO.

If you want oomph with feel, descent flight and mid spin then look no further than 125 (results may vary).

@therealping

[quote name='yellolab' timestamp='1445213385' post='12474476']
Re the 125 in the apex- it's not an option from callaway - only the modus 120 and 130, and the 990 and 1100(whatever they are as I can't find any info in them)
[/quote]In that case demo (thoroughly) both 120 and 130 in the desired heads.

@therealping

Re the 125 in the apex- it's not an option from callaway - only the modus 120 and 130, and the 990 and 1100(whatever they are as I can't find any info in them)
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. I've been demoing the Apex CF16 and love how easy it is to hit but I'm a little concerned about the low spin numbers on the monitor. On the course, I've not had any trouble stopping the 7 iron demo but on the monitor, the spin looks awfully low. Im more concerned about producing enough spin to have predictable distances. I'm really hoping I can find a Modus shaft that will work for me. I've been demoing the Apex CF16 with the KBS Tour-V stiff (110 grams). I ordered a Modus 130s that will be here this week.

My launch monitor numbers after hitting 10 balls on a foresight with the 7 iron Apex CF16 with tour-V stiff are
Swing Speed - 82 mph
Ball speed - 118 mph
Launch Angle - 17 degrees
Spin - 5310 rpms
Peak height - 30 yards
Descent angle - 45 degrees

I don't know enough about the Modus 130S to predict how it would compare, other than its profile is similar to the Tour-V. My question is, if the spin and launch doesn't come up with the modus 130S straight-in...how do you guys with more experience think soft stepping the modus 130s would change the launch and spin?

[quote name='WV_Golfer' timestamp='1445214982' post='12474592']
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. I've been demoing the Apex CF16 and love how easy it is to hit but I'm a little concerned about the low spin numbers on the monitor. On the course, I've not had any trouble stopping the 7 iron demo but on the monitor, the spin looks awfully low. Im more concerned about producing enough spin to have predictable distances. I'm really hoping I can find a Modus shaft that will work for me. I've been demoing the Apex CF16 with the KBS Tour-V stiff (110 grams). I ordered a Modus 130s that will be here this week.

My launch monitor numbers after hitting 10 balls on a foresight with the 7 iron Apex CF16 with tour-V stiff are
Swing Speed - 82 mph
Ball speed - 118 mph
Launch Angle - 17 degrees
Spin - 5310 rpms
Peak height - 30 yards
Descent angle - 45 degrees

I don't know enough about the Modus 130S to predict how it would compare, other than its profile is similar to the Tour-V. My question is, if the spin and launch doesn't come up with the modus 130S straight-in...how do you guys with more experience think soft stepping the modus 130s would change the launch and spin?
[/quote]

Using range balls? curious how much more your preferred ball of choice would increase the spin rate?

Yankees Suck

[/quote]

Also curious if you're using a harder range ball?

Soft-Stepping might increase spin 100-300 rpms at the most. Launch varies, some go lower, some go higher.

Your angle of decent is a little low at 45°, should be closer to 50° in a 7i. The 130's are so close to KBS Tour V I'm not sure you're going to see a huge difference. You might need something a little softer in the mid-section. Have you tried something like a Nippon Tour105, KBS Tour, PXi, DG Lite? The Nippon 990 might not be a bad to try if you can find a fitter and he has that shaft available to try.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1445271751' post='12477304']
[/quote]

Also curious if you're using a harder range ball?

Soft-Stepping might increase spin 100-300 rpms at the most. Launch varies, some go lower, some go higher.

Your angle of decent is a little low at 45°, should be closer to 50° in a 7i. The 130's are so close to KBS Tour V I'm not sure you're going to see a huge difference. You might need something a little softer in the mid-section. Have you tried something like a Nippon Tour105, KBS Tour, PXi, DG Lite? The Nippon 990 might not be a bad to try if you can find a fitter and he has that shaft available to try.
[/quote]

No, I was using Titleist Pro V's on the launch monitor. The fitting cart may have some lighter shafts like the pxi and DG lite so I will look. I've never had a problem of not producing enough spin. I currently play c-tapers and have no problem spinning them. These heads just don't spin. I'll report back once I get to test some more. Thanks for the replies

I just picked up a set of wedges today that I put Modus 125 wedge shafts in. I currently play the Modus 130s in my irons and wanted to make the Modus move into the wedges for some time. I only have 9 holes in (I did hit approach shots more than a few times tinkering getting the feel of the new toys), but I am thrilled. They were easy to get the ball up or flight it down and I loved the feel of the shaft. I could not find anywhere to demo the shafts, but do not think I will regret the move.

Thanks again for the advice in this forum guys.

Blows my mind this thread is still going. I've bought 2 different nippon shaft sets and they were a complete waste of money. I bought them because if this thread and now I just laugh thinking, who's the next sucker to read this. And for all of you who want to bash this, list all the pga players, rank, etc.

"Patience without understanding"

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1445393722' post='12485402']
Blows my mind this thread is still going. I've bought 2 different nippon shaft sets and they were a complete waste of money. I bought them because if this thread and now I just laugh thinking, who's the next sucker to read this. And for all of you who want to bash this, list all the pga players, rank, etc.
[/quote]

k

[/quote]

Probably a loft problem.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

[/quote]

Joke is on you, "bought them because of this thread" is a lack of precaution on your part. Demo/test/analyze are vital in the decision making process.

They're not going to be the be all end all, they're simply just more options for those looking for particular characteristics within a golf shaft.

Better precaution next time.

@therealping

[/quote]

why would you buy shafts because someone on the internet likes them?

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

[quote name='mokedaddy' timestamp='1445444841' post='12487574']
[/quote]

why would you buy shafts because someone on the internet likes them?
[/quote]

+1

That's the BIG mistake there. I bought a set of irons on here from a wrxer and they just happen to be one of the first sets with modus 125Ss in them. Bought blind,never hit the shaft or the iron before. Best decision I have EVER made. The 125Ss are night to day better then DG for me. But I bought after reading hours of reviews and talking with multiple reps and Markheardjr. (Wrx nippon guru). Though I was heavily influenced by reviews from the J15CB and the Nippon threads, I would never buy a club just based on what others think ALONE (though it helped on the final decision ;))

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

[/quote]
What did you buy? What didn't you like? What do you play or prefer to play? What's your ss, release timing, etc?

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

It doesn't matter. I'm not a troll and the truth is that if this thread wasn't still going, people wouldn't even know what a nippon is. I'm sure they have quality products, I'm just going off my experience and I did a ton of research. I always do. The thread should state " is it just me, or are a lot of pro's on the lpga tour switching to nippon shafts?

"Patience without understanding"

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1445480750' post='12490184']It doesn't matter. I'm not a troll and the truth is that if this thread wasn't still going, people wouldn't even know what a nippon is. I'm sure they have quality products, I'm just going off my experience and I did a ton of research. I always do. The thread should state " is it just me, or are a lot of pro's on the lpga tour switching to nippon shafts?[/quote]
1. Nippon was around before this thread started.
2. You've contradicted yourself within 2 sentences.
3. Yes, you are a troll.

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1445480750' post='12490184']
The thread should state " is it just me, or are a lot of pro's on the lpga tour switching to nippon shafts?
[/quote]

Wouldn't this statement make this thread even more relevant to the Amateur male golfer's interests?

Average Amateur male swing speeds are much closer to LPGA numbers than they are to PGA numbers.

Look, Modus shafts didn't work for me either as DG Pro is a better fit [u]for me[/u]. However, I'm not going to refute the data that's right in front of me. I've read all 74 pages of this thread and the amount of positive outcomes with Nippon Modus far outweigh the negative outcomes.

There's not a large scale brigade of WRX members all consolidated on this thread to push Nippon.

They didn't work for you...no need to get upset and crap on the thread, because Modus has obviously worked for many people around here.

Don't you agree?

B Haas, Sergio, Stenson, JJ Henry, and I think like 3 others, ON THE PGA TOUR, use Nippon shafts.

...With very good results I might add.

Which tour has no one using it? Oh, I thought so.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

[/quote]

There is a thread floating around entitled "Worst golf clubs you've ever bought?" or something to that effect.

Given your seemingly impulsive buying nature, perhaps that is something you may be interested in as well.

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1445480750' post='12490184']
It doesn't matter. I'm not a troll and the truth is that if this thread wasn't still going, people wouldn't even know what a nippon is. I'm sure they have quality products, I'm just going off my experience and I did a ton of research. I always do. The thread should state " is it just me, or are a lot of pro's on the lpga tour switching to nippon shafts?
[/quote]

You did a "ton of research" yet still ended up with two sets of shafts that were a "complete waste of money"? Sounds to me like your research methods were rather flawed.