2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1445393722' post='12485402']
Blows my mind this thread is still going. I've bought 2 different nippon shaft sets and they were a complete waste of money. I bought them because if this thread and now I just laugh thinking, who's the next sucker to read this. And for all of you who want to bash this, list all the pga players, rank, etc.
[/quote]
I bought a set because:
1. read this thread
2. friend of mine another wrxer raves about them
3. I hit my pros titliest irons with them (by the way he was on pga tour for 15 years always uses Nippon and he just got a new set of titliest with nippons)
4. A member on this thread sold them to me he didn't like them.
Personally I love them show them off as much as possible. The first to sets of Nippons I tried didn't like at all. Of course didn't like any of the project X or Kbs until I had c-taper S+.
Quite possible you don't know the right shafts are for you.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='av1084' timestamp='1445529075' post='12492102']
Blows my mind this thread is still going. I've bought 2 different nippon shaft sets and they were a complete waste of money. I bought them because if this thread and now I just laugh thinking, who's the next sucker to read this. And for all of you who want to bash this, list all the pga players, rank, etc.
[/quote]

There is a thread floating around entitled "Worst golf clubs you've ever bought?" or something to that effect.

Given your seemingly impulsive buying nature, perhaps that is something you may be interested in as well.
[/quote]
I just got a set of Glide wedges debating on changing the shaft to Modus. Did you try the Modus wedge shafts? Do you like the 120x in the Wedges?
Nice avatar by the way. COYG

Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1445526291' post='12491882']
B Haas, Sergio, Stenson, JJ Henry, and I think like 3 others, ON THE PGA TOUR, use Nippon shafts.

...With very good results I might add.

Which tour has no one using it? Oh, I thought so.
[/quote]
Depending on the event there are regularly up to 20 sets of Modus in play. Lahiri (I think 120x?) and Casey (ORA X) I know for sure. Keegan 125X. And a lot more. The main reason you don't see the player counts is because Nippon doesn't pay for play. (As mentioned in this thread before.) They do have an LPGA'er on staff as well as a few over on the JPGA. They have plenty of male players on the JPGA using Modus. I honestly don't care all that much who plays what so I don't really keep track of it. It's cool to see it on TV or at an event and see the red streak, but I don't keep tabs. I also don't want to give old or bad info.

I don't need player numbers or names to tell me a shaft works for me. I require real-world trial. In true WRX fashion, I've tried just about everything out there. If Nippon didn't exist I would maybe be using S400 hard-stepped, KBS Tour V or possibly a Ctaper lite or something. (Don't prefer heavier Ctaper oddly.) But I try all the new stuff. I will try AMT when it is more available. I am not Nippon for life, I have no allegiance or affiliation to them. I just play what works. And I happened to try almost every Nippon shaft they made in the last 10 years. Along with all other major shaft companies. (I am lacking in Steelfiber and Shimada experience however.)

That said, I still don't see anything else knocking the 125X out of the bag unless I can get something that is the same feel, similar stability and dispersion that is just a little lower launch and spin and maybe a few grams lighter. But sadly a 115-120g lower launch and spin with Nippon feel doesn't exist.....yet. Maybe someone will work on that. Tour105 is close, need a tweener of the 105 and 125 but even lower launch & spin.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1445538789' post='12492810']
[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1445526291' post='12491882']
B Haas, Sergio, Stenson, JJ Henry, and I think like 3 others, ON THE PGA TOUR, use Nippon shafts.

...With very good results I might add.

Which tour has no one using it? Oh, I thought so.
[/quote]
Depending on the event there are regularly up to 20 sets of Modus in play. Lahiri (I think 120x?) and Casey (ORA X) I know for sure. Keegan 125X. And a lot more. The main reason you don't see the player counts is because Nippon doesn't pay for play. (As mentioned in this thread before.) They do have an LPGA'er on staff as well as a few over on the JPGA. They have plenty of male players on the JPGA using Modus. I honestly don't care all that much who plays what so I don't really keep track of it. It's cool to see it on TV or at an event and see the red streak, but I don't keep tabs. I also don't want to give old or bad info.

I don't need player numbers or names to tell me a shaft works for me. I require real-world trial. In true WRX fashion, I've tried just about everything out there. If Nippon didn't exist I would maybe be using S400 hard-stepped, KBS Tour V or possibly a Ctaper lite or something. (Don't prefer heavier Ctaper oddly.) But I try all the new stuff. I will try AMT when it is more available. I am not Nippon for life, I have no allegiance or affiliation to them. I just play what works. And I happened to try almost every Nippon shaft they made in the last 10 years. Along with all other major shaft companies. (I am lacking in Steelfiber and Shimada experience however.)

That said, I still don't see anything else knocking the 125X out of the bag unless I can get something that is the same feel, similar stability and dispersion that is just a little lower launch and spin and maybe a few grams lighter. But sadly a 115-120g lower launch and spin with Nippon feel doesn't exist.....yet. Maybe someone will work on that. Tour105 is close, need a tweener of the 105 and 125 but even lower launch & spin.
[/quote]

Nothing is touching my J15CB/125S combo.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Hey Mark or Goat!

Could either of you two please educate me and compare the 105's and KBS Tour V?

Thanks you guys are great!

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1445536316' post='12492648']
[quote name='av1084' timestamp='1445529075' post='12492102']
[/quote]

There is a thread floating around entitled "Worst golf clubs you've ever bought?" or something to that effect.

Given your seemingly impulsive buying nature, perhaps that is something you may be interested in as well.
[/quote]
I just got a set of Glide wedges debating on changing the shaft to Modus. Did you try the Modus wedge shafts? Do you like the 120x in the Wedges?
Nice avatar by the way. COYG
[/quote]

I didn't get the Modus wedge shafts because there is nowhere here to try them...but I did take somewhat of a risk in that I never tried the 120x in the glide before purchasing. But, I knew I had a proven commodity with them in my irons so it was a calculated risk and a hedge of sorts.

That being said, I am super happy with the results so far as it is basically a seamless transition from my irons. I'd like to think that my wedge game is on point, the best it's ever been, but who knows if it is the shaft or the wedge (or gulp, practice).

With also now that being said as well, it is entirely possible that the wedge specific shaft may be better for me, but I'm not gonna go chasing that just yet. Yet.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you or anyone else has more questions.

[quote name='GC70' timestamp='1445559657' post='12494262']
Hey Mark or Goat!

[/quote]
Tour105 IMO will feel lighter and more active and more balanced with launch being a touch lower and spin a touch more. KBS tour V, being closer to a Tour130 will be mid-high launch and lower spin and slightly counter balanced. It will feel heavier and stiffer since the butt and middle sections are stiffer. The softer tip section can make impact feel a little "squishy" to some.

Stiff KBS TourV are listed at 110g and the Tour105 is 106.5 but the Tour105 feels much lighter and smoother IMO.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1445562593' post='12494508']
[quote name='GC70' timestamp='1445559657' post='12494262']
Hey Mark or Goat!

[/quote]
Tour105 IMO will feel lighter and more active and more balanced with launch being a touch lower and spin a touch more. KBS tour V, being closer to a Tour130 will be mid-high launch and lower spin and slightly counter balanced. It will feel heavier and stiffer since the butt and middle sections are stiffer. The softer tip section can make impact feel a little "squishy" to some.

Stiff KBS TourV are listed at 110g and the Tour105 is 106.5 but the Tour105 feels much lighter and smoother IMO.
[/quote]

Thanks Mark! I've been playing the 120's for the last 4 years, but the 105's really have me scratching that itch! One more question how would the 105's stack up against the C-Taper Lites?

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='jj9000' timestamp='1445521221' post='12491524']
[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1445480750' post='12490184']
The thread should state " is it just me, or are a lot of pro's on the lpga tour switching to nippon shafts?
[/quote]

Wouldn't this statement make this thread even more relevant to the Amateur male golfer's interests?

Average Amateur male swing speeds are much closer to LPGA numbers than they are to PGA numbers.

Look, Modus shafts didn't work for me either as DG Pro is a better fit [u]for me[/u]. However, I'm not going to refute the data that's right in front of me. I've read all 74 pages of this thread and the amount of positive outcomes with Nippon Modus far outweigh the negative outcomes.

There's not a large scale brigade of WRX members all consolidated on this thread to push Nippon.

They didn't work for you...no need to get upset and crap on the thread, because Modus has obviously worked for many people around here.

Don't you agree?
[/quote]I agree. But my main point is the thread title. If the thread was just called "Nippon shafts", I wouldn't care. But its the "is it just me, or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon" part. Like its some big secret or something, its very misleading. And "a lot" to me should be a lot. As in 40 or 50 percent. Someone listed 4 PGA members using them, get my drift? I'll stay out of this thread and am sorry if I ruffled some feathers.

"Patience without understanding"

[quote name='slantsflood' timestamp='1445569500' post='12495042']
The thread should state " is it just me, or are a lot of pro's on the lpga tour switching to nippon shafts?
[/quote]

Wouldn't this statement make this thread even more relevant to the Amateur male golfer's interests?

Average Amateur male swing speeds are much closer to LPGA numbers than they are to PGA numbers.

Look, Modus shafts didn't work for me either as DG Pro is a better fit [u]for me[/u]. However, I'm not going to refute the data that's right in front of me. I've read all 74 pages of this thread and the amount of positive outcomes with Nippon Modus far outweigh the negative outcomes.

There's not a large scale brigade of WRX members all consolidated on this thread to push Nippon.

They didn't work for you...no need to get upset and crap on the thread, because Modus has obviously worked for many people around here.

Don't you agree?
[/quote]I agree. But my main point is the thread title. If the thread was just called "Nippon shafts", I wouldn't care. But its the "is it just me, or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon" part. Like its some big secret or something, its very misleading. And "a lot" to me should be a lot. As in 40 or 50 percent. Someone listed 4 PGA members using them, get my drift? I'll stay out of this thread and am sorry if I ruffled some feathers.
[/quote]

This thread was started 2 years ago man. When Nippon wasn't even really known on tour.

I agree. But my main point is the thread title. If the thread was just called "Nippon shafts", I wouldn't care. But its the "is it just me, or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon" part. Like its some big secret or something, its very misleading. And "a lot" to me should be a lot. As in 40 or 50 percent. Someone listed 4 PGA members using them, get my drift? I'll stay out of this thread and am sorry if I ruffled some feathers.
[/quote]

Thank you. The answer to the OP's title question at this point is pretty clear, it's just you. A lot of pros are [i]not[/i] switching to Nippon.

Anyone out there willing to loan out a 6iron shaft at standard length in the 120X,120TX or 125X. For me to try and test out. No fitters around me have any to demo. PM me if you do. Much Appreciated!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

[/quote]

Don't you agree?
[/quote]
40-50% would cause an all out media frenzy!! This is just a thread in pre-release tour equipment started by an average Joe. Not a paid partnership with OEM involvement like the AMT thread.

But if you insist here's a partial list of pro's playing or used to play Nippon Modus shafts. I just came up with this myself. I could probably get 20+ more names from Nippon directly but they aren't in the busieness of ho'ing out pros names.

Sergio, Vijay, Bill Haas, Stenson, Leishman, Gary Woodland (wedges,) Paul Casey, Bo Van Pelt, Hunter Mahan, Scott Stallings, Kevin Stadler, Keegan Bradley, Zack Sucher, James Morrison (euro,) George McNeil, Rickie Fowler (tested 130x,) Rod Pampling, Andy Sullivan (euro,) Thong Chai Jaidee, Goeff Ogilvy, Stephen Gallacher (wedges,) Brendan De Jonge (in past, not sure now,) Bob Estes, Charlie Beljean, Chris Stroud, Charley Hoffman, Ryan Moore.

I wouldn't really say misleading. However your trolling is mislead/misguided for sure.

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1445833951' post='12506814']
[/quote]

Don't you agree?
[/quote]
40-50% would cause an all out media frenzy!! This is just a thread in pre-release tour equipment started by an average Joe. Not a paid partnership with OEM involvement like the AMT thread.

But if you insist here's a partial list of pro's playing or used to play Nippon Modus shafts. I just came up with this myself. I could probably get 20+ more names from Nippon directly but they aren't in the busieness of ho'ing out pros names.

Sergio, Vijay, Bill Haas, Stenson, Leishman, Gary Woodland (wedges,) Paul Casey, Bo Van Pelt, Hunter Mahan, Scott Stallings, Kevin Stadler, Keegan Bradley, Zack Sucher, James Morrison (euro,) George McNeil, Rickie Fowler (tested 130x,) Rod Pampling, Andy Sullivan (euro,) Thong Chai Jaidee, Goeff Ogilvy, Stephen Gallacher (wedges,) Brendan De Jonge (in past, not sure now,) Bob Estes, Charlie Beljean, Chris Stroud, Charley Hoffman, Ryan Moore.

I wouldn't really say misleading. However your trolling is mislead/misguided for sure.
[/quote]

Peter Uihlein has been playing the 130's for a few years.

http://youtu.be/HcFZ9J54rlI

@therealping

I'm pretty sure Charley Hull was using Modus on the LPGA this week.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Carrie Webb is prominent on the Nippon Shaft website in Japan and has been playing the N.S. Pro 1050 shaft in her irons and their Regio graphite shafts in her woods.

As far as the PGA tour, and all tours, their recent promotional material has the following breakdown of the shafts the players who are playing their shafts.

PGA Tour Global tour usage

30% play the 120 35% play the 120
28% play the 105 20% play the 105
25% play the 130 18% play the 130
8% play the 125 15% play the 125
5% play another NS shaft 8% play a prototype
3% play a prototype 4% play another NS shaft

14 Beaten and Battered clubs,

a few balls and tees,

tattered golf bag and

one unwavering spirit that loves the game

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1445904796' post='12510528']Scott stallings just showed off his Nippons on playing lessons.[/quote]
[attachment=3008862:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1445905019.531820.jpg]

Vokeys SM9 56,60

I'm sure it's been discussed before but I can't read through all 75 pages... Which Modus has characteristics most like the KBS C-Tapers with better feel? I need something to keep the flight low and the chart on Nippons site is a little confusing. It has the new 105/125 in between the 120. So I guess your flight will either be high or low/mid depending on your swing with the 120s and the 105/125s are a straight mid launching?

I need something that keeps the ball down because I'm losing distance due to high launch..

[quote name='Milez28' timestamp='1445975181' post='12514454']
I'm sure it's been discussed before but I can't read through all 75 pages... Which Modus has characteristics most like the KBS C-Tapers with better feel? I need something to keep the flight low and the chart on Nippons site is a little confusing. It has the new 105/125 in between the 120. So I guess your flight will either be high or low/mid depending on your swing with the 120s and the 105/125s are a straight mid launching?

I need something that keeps the ball down because I'm losing distance due to high launch..
[/quote]

I am in the same boat as you. Game KBS 120 C-Tapers in a stiff and I do like the flight with them but looking for a Nippon shaft that would be comparable with my current C-Tapers. Something with better feel and something that would allow me to control trajectory if possible.

[quote name='TerryRossiGut' timestamp='1445978839' post='12514760'][quote name='Milez28' timestamp='1445975181' post='12514454']

[/quote]

I am in the same boat as you. Game KBS 120 C-Tapers in a stiff and I do like the flight with them but looking for a Nippon shaft that would be comparable with my current C-Tapers. Something with better feel and something that would allow me to control trajectory if possible.[/quote]

The closest thing to the c tapers I have found is the Nippon super peening Blues. There was also info that the modus 125 is the same profile as the super peening Blues. I will be able to confirm shortly as I just shafted up the 125's.

I switched from c-taper s+ to the Nippon 120x. I have noticed a little higher flight but zero loss of distance. You will love the feel. The soft feel of the Nippons is wonderful especially coming from the c-tapers

Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='sethdavidsdad' timestamp='1445989633' post='12515686']I switched from c-taper s+ to the Nippon 120x. I have noticed a little higher flight but zero loss of distance. You will love the feel. The soft feel of the Nippons is wonderful especially coming from the c-tapers[/quote]

Do you find the 120's spin a ton more than the c tapers? For me the 120's ballooned as bad as anything but the c tapers/super peening Blues had a nice mid high penetrating flight.