2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

I haven't bought a ball in probably 6 years. I play the balls I find, and they are all premium. I play proV1s and V1Xs mostly and anything like them. I am not picky about it other than it be a premium 3 piece or more. I like the checkspin of 3 piece balls which is the main reason I play them. I am also not picky because performance of premium balls is all about the same and I can adjust to my ball for the day during warm up on the practice green. I can't stand the Nike RZN line and my favorite of all time is the Nike One Tour D.

You mean the ball that Nike physically forced Tiger to stop playing. He still played that ball 3 years after it was made and they weren't happy because they had to continue special runs of production on it just for him and they could't say he was playing their latest greatest ball

Holy crap, I feel like I am minoring in "metallurgy" (shout out to 3jack).

Regarding miura and sons, let's see. As I mentioned, almost all buyouts of small niche companies are with stipulation current ownership stays on for an extended period, 1-3 years etc. hell, my buddy works for an insurance firm whose owners sold out, $20m, and they have to stay on for 3 years and final payout is only if portfolio meets an agreed upon valuation at end of that term. Will miura and sons be there in 5 years would be interesting.

I can't believe this is news If they just sold distribution rights. The fact the direction of company is being mentioned means it is not at miura discretion. Just my .02.

I have no metal science to add. At best I am only good for answers to cnc questions.....

Me neither but I do think only the distribution rights were sold off. Miura family owned Miura the factory, owns or partially owns Miura-Gikken the entity that sold clubs in the Japanese market and Miura Golf the entity that sold clubs outside of Japan. Tru-Spec bough tonly the last company and probably with the caveat that they will only carry several models and that at least one has to be a SGI type club. Really not an unreasonable request to close an exclusive distribution deal. The big losers here seems to be anyone who was an authorized seller prior to this deal. They can no longer offer up Miura without going through Tru-Spec first.

Miura still designs and builds it's clubs in it's own factory, still sells in Japan as Miura-Gikken only now if we want to buy baby blades we now have to go to a True-Spec authorized outlet.

That's ot too bad

If that is truly the case, then it is a best case scenario for miura fans. It would mean that Giken is what it is and is available to anyone that will be willing to get it out of Japan, and instead of the world line being rebranded giken models for most part, Tru spec may push them to do granted more sgi stuff, but more stuff that isn't already in a jdm head. So less models could be more miura umbrella variety?

If they still have giken, then they will still make cool stuff like the type F/D blades and the 5005 I think it is. Sheeot, the type Fs were probably my next miura set anyway. I would prefer to just enjoy my small blades for next 5 years and not think about irons. I have an itch for wedges though. I have had the buchis for like 18 months and I am still Not sure my opinion on them. Part of it is my wedge play is spotty at best. They are like boring/medium across the board, nothing stands out, not look, not feel, I get along with the grinds but don't feel they are magical....I don't know, at same time something about them being so predictably boring has kept them in the bag bexuase that is a good thing in wedges.

My fear is clubs like the baby blade will not be available for US consumer since Tru-Spec has veto over what they are willing to support and sell. So even if my 'sunnyside of the street' outlook is true on paper a part of Miura may become extinct.

Ahem.........I stand corrected.......from the comment section of article....author of story replied see bold

Question:

So has TSG bought or invested in Miura Golf (which is the North American and International Sales arm of Miura) or have they bought the parent company Miura Giken from Japan who produces all the clubs for Miura and Miura Giken. So far in 2 articles it is still not clear!

• Answer:

Miura offers slightly different products under the names Miura and Miura-Giken (Japan), but all products are designed and manufactured under one roof.
    The deal encompasses all of Miura.

Me: Ugh!

Anyone have experience with Callaway Tour Prototype Quad Dots irons? (What a name, if that's the name!) I am offered a set in trade for an unused set but don't know much about them.

Great irons! One of the modern classics. I think I am right saying the quad dots just means they are higher bounce.

Thx! I wondered what the dots meant.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I thought it was time to join the conversation about blades.

A little bit about myself. I grew up playing hogan pc blades. Played them until i wore the out. Went to college and I could beat 5 of the 8 guys on the team. But the College coach would not give me a try out for team, so i gor married and turned pro. Played mini tour events as much as I could and worked as pga of America pro at courses. With a wife and small kids i got out of the golf business and got a real job. Played once a week for years. Since my kids grew and started playing i started going to the course everyday. Mostly to work on their games. i have three kids. My oldest played D1 in the south and now is in grad school. Goimg for her pharm d doctorate. Now only plays when she comes home. The second daughter plays D1 in Chicago and could go pro if she put in the time. Boyfriend kind of ruined that, even though he plays D1 and plans on going pro. My son is in high school and hits the ball a country mile. He needs to work on his consistency. Lessons start up on Sunday. My scramble team is unbelievable, we seldom loss. The girls off the red tees and the way they put it is like cheating. The last two we played we shot 54 both times i think are longest birdie putt was 5 feet. It is nice to have a wife that gets mad when we do not go to the course everyday when the weather is nice. She let me and the kids put a hitting bay in the living room along with a 14 foot ptting green.

As far as my golf bag for the 2017 season, i am going to play the miura titleist irons. You know the tiger replica irons that only 500 sets were made. Now all i have to do is decide what shafts i will put in them. Leaning towards nippon modus3 130s or 105x. Have a few months to decide. Now for the pictures.

Wow underpar69 thank you for sharing such a rare set. So beautiful.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I haven't bought a ball in probably 6 years. I play the balls I find, and they are all premium. I play proV1s and V1Xs mostly and anything like them. I am not picky about it other than it be a premium 3 piece or more. I like the checkspin of 3 piece balls which is the main reason I play them. I am also not picky because performance of premium balls is all about the same and I can adjust to my ball for the day during warm up on the practice green. I can't stand the Nike RZN line and my favorite of all time is the Nike One Tour D.

You mean the ball that Nike physically forced Tiger to stop playing. He still played that ball 3 years after it was made and they weren't happy because they had to continue special runs of production on it just for him and they could't say he was playing their latest greatest ball

That would be the one. That ball would still be fine today. Both the Tour and Tour D were great.

I also think earlier El Tigre played the TA2 and kept playing it over other balls. The TA2 was also a great ball, possibly the best budget ball ever.

Once Nike started using that resin ball thingy as the core of their balls I gave up on them. It killed the feel.

Registered Bladeocrat

Thanks for the nice comments. You like looking at rare sets, I bought my son a set of titleist t irons in 2000 when he was born. The picture is a comparison of three titleist seven irons. My 714 tour issue mb which my son just stole. The miura 7 iron and the Titleist black T. Lmk what you think

u69 if I didn't know the middle one was a Miura I could not decide which one I liked best. I am a 714 MB fan through and through, but all three designs are equivalently elegant in their own way. But knowing there is Miura steel in the middle, I would take that set in a heartbeat. How do all three feel and perform compared to each other? Anything that stands out in one or another?

Registered Bladeocrat

BTW u69 I have to mention it is also nice to see a senior member come in here and support blade using.

Also I like hearing about your son stealing your blades. LMAO when I was 10 years old I was stealing my Dad's Hogan Vector Lites.

Last question: Have you prepared yourself for the day he comes home with a set of CBs?

Registered Bladeocrat

He started with 712 blades and he sometimes had trouble hitting them. So he tried his older sisters 710 ap2 irons and really liked them so I bought him some 714 ap2 irons. He swings so hard at it and hits the ball so high. He had c taper s+ in his irons. He tried my 714 MB irons with modus 105x shafts at a swing weight of d4. He hit the 9 iron at a carry distance at 150 yards with a small draw. He hit the modus more consistent and took them. So I just sold the ap2 irons.

BTW when I meant senior member I meant in WRX membership years. Not real age!

It is good he is going with the 714 MBs. I keep trying to convince my buddy to ditch his ap1s for them.

Registered Bladeocrat

Anyone have experience with Callaway Tour Prototype Quad Dots irons? (What a name, if that's the name!) I am offered a set in trade for an unused set but don't know much about them.

Great irons! One of the modern classics. I think I am right saying the quad dots just means they are higher bounce.

Thx! I wondered what the dots meant.

You mean the Callaway X proto? If so, I think the dots are lie indicators, at least according to the USGA conforming clubs website.

http://www.usga.org/...rod=X-Prototype

(click on "View Markings" to see)

I was reading a description on a set of older irons and in the description it had stated that the irons were outfitted with Dynamic Gold R500 shafts. A search hasn't come up with much. Is that a typo, or did Dynamic Gold actually make an R500 shaft?

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

I was reading a description on a set of older irons and in the description it had stated that the irons were outfitted with Dynamic Gold R500 shafts. A search hasn't come up with much. Is that a typo, or did Dynamic Gold actually make an R500 shaft?

I've seen lots of R400s in older iron sets here, and I've seen recently a listing for clubs with S500 shafts, so I imagine it's possible. They are afterall just the tolerances. R500 would be, what, 3-4g over the weight of an R300?

There was indeed a time when Dynamic Gold shafts had both 100 and 500 sub flexes, on top of the 200/300/400 we're all accustomed to seeing in R and S flexes.

It been quite a while since those were around, though.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

This thread continues to amaze me and the first thread to bring me out of the woodwork. I think one thing remains the same as I have no idea what my next set of blades should be or will be.

When in doubt, trust your aesthetics. Is there any blade that just catches your eye the moment you look at it? That's your next blade when you have nothing else to go by. And as long as you are using a blade you will get all the performance you need. You can't go wrong in the performance department so then it comes to aesthetics. I say envision the player that you want to be and what clubs he would be playing, and then just get those clubs and go be that player.

Registered Bladeocrat

Thoughts on the Bridgestone J15's. I've got a buddy that is wanting to get rid of his...I can get a good deal. Love the look of them, but how will they feel compared to my money making MP32's. My 7-PW in the MP32's are almost done...so I figured I will have to switch at some point.

I'm sure they have been discussed, but given 323 pages of forum to sort through, I figured I would just ask again.

EDIT: I love the look of them, so that is not in question. Just wondering who does the forging. Quality of those forges, etc. He lives across the country...just had back surgery which will keep him from the golf course...perhaps forever...so I can't just take them to the range to try out.

I thought they were clicky. About the perfect size for an iron. Can be had pretty cheap brand new most places.

Gotcha. I know better than to stray from Titleist and Mizuno (and unfortunately Miura's aren't in the budget), but given the look and condition and price, I figured it was worth asking.

Feel is subjective. I've read several reviews where folks said they felt dense. I wasn't crazy about their stock shaft, and I'm not a fan of chrome irons. If they're a good deal, I'd get em. I almost got a brand new set then sat down and calculated the reshaft and grip cost and decided to pass. Mainly on the hassle to turn them into gamers and still be left with a chrome head I didn't much like to begin with. I went as far as to bead blast my KZG heads to a satin. I really don't like chrome :D

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]