2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

AS for Miura, who knows what will happen. Can't see them pissing off people who buy their blades. That's the reason they even have a name. I will talk to one of the dudes at the golf shop down the street and see what he says (living an hour away from Miura HQ). My bet is no one even knows what's happening. The only people that do are Golfwrx and the Miura folks. Care to bet no one working in my golf shop will know?

I am happy to be holding on to a few sets of blades made by Miura. Though, none with the name stamped on them. It seems the world has really caught up with the small guy. Even if you've got a name you've got to sell or the competition gets you (cough cough PXG).

I'll still sleep okay, I guess.

Goals for this year?

More focused practice sessions

10 under par (at the short course I play with the tricky greens) - through narrowed focus over each shot.

Getting out to see more courses in Japan.

They are Tour Forged MTs, from 1980-83. Not a particularly remarkable model, but I got them for a few thousand yen to play around with. I actually found I liked them, and decided to put them into play. I've shafted them with DGX100, which is my favourite shaft.

I'll probably do the same for the RAMs, but I also have a plan involving some old Epon CBs and Nippon SPB shafts...

Incidentally, I just looked at Yahoo Auction now, and there is a set of RAM Tom Watson Limited Edition irons up for sale. Precision FM 4.5 shafts though, which would be like swinging an udon noodle.

All this club talking has smitten me with the club tinkering bug again. I gave all my clubmaking tools to a friend of mine some years ago and he still has his little shop out in the garage. I get tired of bugging him all the time to do things for me even if he does enjoy doing them.

I will be ordering a few tools from Maltby this week.

Balance beam scale

Hosel reamers

Maybe a shaft puller....... but I can just as easily make one.

Loft & Lie gauge

Shaft gauge for quick reference

They are Tour Forged MTs, from 1980-83. Not a particularly remarkable model, but I got them for a few thousand yen to play around with. I actually found I liked them, and decided to put them into play. I've shafted them with DGX100, which is my favourite shaft.

I'll probably do the same for the RAMs, but I also have a plan involving some old Epon CBs and Nippon SPB shafts...

Incidentally, I just looked at Yahoo Auction now, and there is a set of RAM Tom Watson Limited Edition irons up for sale. Precision FM 4.5 shafts though, which would be like swinging an udon noodle.

Those look bloody brand new.

At 4.5 I don't know how they can get away with using the name 'precision.' Maybe for my wife?

Those look bloody brand new.

At 4.5 I don't know how they can get away with using the name 'precision.' Maybe for my wife?

If I hadn't just bought this camber sole models (which I think are custom), I would have gone for those TW grinds. Still, I'm happy with what I got, and I paid half the price.

I think 4.5 is "hamster flex". Never seen shafts so soft as that before. 5.0 is the lowest I've come across. I'm almost tempted to buy them just to try the shaft.

Ugh it is so hard to stay optimistic. Now I feel like a betamax video tape player owner in the early 80s. My only defense mechanism to the likely travesty of Miura blades is that at least I got my BBs and I have two Miura blade sets that I can probably stretch over 15 years before I need to replace them.

Does anyone know for sure that this impacts both Miura and Miura-Giken? Meaning, is there any chance Miura-Giken will live on and untouched by the new owners? I think the article only mentioned Miura.

I'm not trying to be glib, but I think you've moved into the same zone I am, with my various Ram Tour Grinds. Ram disappeared into the hinterlands a couple years after the TearDrop group got hold of them, when they were positioned behind Tommy Armour (also owned by TearDrop) in terms of quality offerings.

These days, the name appears to be licensed for the sets you see at sporting goods stores.

From my perspective, doesn't look like it could/should wind up that way, at least not for quite a long while. Miura is at a completely different place than was Ram in the late 90s when the Hansbergers sold to TearDrop.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Totally missed the tour spec not being it thing. That makes me feel infinitely better and makes much more sense that a deal like that wasn't made on sweet talk alone.

Maybe there is some hope. I really wonder for pure curiosity what they sold for. I mean, what does miura gross a year? 33,000 sets sold at $600 to them per set for example gets you to $20m, rough and dirty, but I truly have no clue as to their sales. I would bet their PM has to be 20% min, as high pm is the hallmark of small specialized business. Is it possible they don't even do $20/year? The buyout had to be generational money for the 2 sons, and Japan is expensive....not sure how they tax things but I would bet since the japanese love grooming sons for hand me down companies this was probably an offer that couldn't be refused. Which makes me think they probably overpaid for it on paper for the name and the ability to get it? I would love to know, I feel like I would either be shocked at how little, or how much. With absolutely zero intelligence to the situation and a pure guess I would have to think $30-$50m range?

Great, now I'm hungry.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

I have a question related to my earlier post about the MP54's:

Are you of you guys playing forgiving CB's like the MP54/25 in the long irons (say 4-6i) then MB's like the MP5 in 7-PW? I do love my Hot Metals, but I can really see the appeal after hitting the 54's in person. I however don't see how a higher cap (22) like me can benefit from MB design in longer irons that I struggle to pure 100% of the time.

Also, how does/did this change your bag when you went to weaker lofts? Right now I'm playing a 3,5, hybrid, 5-PW set up, but with weaker lofts, my 5i would then be 27* and not 25* like it is now. I would not have room for one of the three woods/hybrid as I would need to get a 4i, and need to keep gaps consistent. Did you switch from a 3 5 4i/hybrid to 4w, 4i/hybrid, 5-PW?

Are you of you guys playing forgiving CB's like the MP54/25 in the long irons (say 4-6i) then MB's like the MP5 in 7-PW? I do love my Hot Metals, but I can really see the appeal after hitting the 54's in person. I however don't see how a higher cap (22) like me can benefit from MB design in longer irons that I struggle to pure 100% of the time.

Also, how does/did this change your bag when you went to weaker lofts? Right now I'm playing a 3,5, hybrid, 5-PW set up, but with weaker lofts, my 5i would then be 27* and not 25* like it is now. I would not have room for one of the three woods/hybrid as I would need to get a 4i, and need to keep gaps consistent. Did you switch from a 3 5 4i/hybrid to 4w, 4i/hybrid, 5-PW?

Benefit schmenifit. Pick what you like to look at, that's got a shaft that works for you and have a bash :)

There are two main things to consider IMHO: how you get on with the different look at address and how you handle the gapping. The look is the look and either it doesn't bother you or it does. If it does you are done before you start. For gapping, yes something is likely going to need to be bent weaker or stronger.

If you can stomach the purchase price buy a full set of each and try them out as full sets, then mix and match to your personally 'breaking point'. The spot where you feel you'd rather play the other clubhead. Maybe you'll find out you prefer the same set through the bag.

A good stick - who was our men's club champ the year before last - played hybrids until the 6I and then the rest of his set was MP-33s. He said he's gradually been removing irons for about 5 years and eventually stopped there :)

Everyone is different and most here won't go that route, but give it a go, you've got nothing to lose but a few bucks in resale here and there!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Benefit schmenifit. Pick what you like to look at, that's got a shaft that works for you and have a bash :)

There are two main things to consider IMHO: how you get on with the different look at address and how you handle the gapping. The look is the look and either it doesn't bother you or it does. If it does you are done before you start. For gapping, yes something is likely going to need to be bent weaker or stronger.

If you can stomach the purchase price buy a full set of each and try them out as full sets, then mix and match to your personally 'breaking point'. The spot where you feel you'd rather play the other clubhead. Maybe you'll find out you prefer the same set through the bag.

A good stick - who was our men's club champ the year before last - played hybrids until the 6I and then the rest of his set was MP-33s. He said he's gradually been removing irons for about 5 years and eventually stopped there :)

Everyone is different and most here won't go that route, but give it a go, you've got nothing to lose but a few bucks in resale here and there!

Yeah I certainly can't stomach buying 2 sets even used, this year. As far as looks, I've never even addressed MP5's or even any real MB, except my buddy's 714's, but his are RH and I am LH.

Generally speaking, blade thickness is more of an aesthetic point to my eye rather than blade length. Slightly shorter or longer doesn't seem to catch my eye, but thick/thin does. For me right now, there is kind of a point where it would probably look too thin to inspire confidence, but certainly too thick (like say the M2 irons) where it just looks ridiculous.

I'd more than likely leave lofts on irons alone, and go with driver, 3/4w (16.5*), hybrid, 4-PW, 3 wedges, obviously putter. I may even be able to keep my 15* 3w, and take a 19* hybrid and deloft to 18*.

I'm heading to a Callaway fitting event Thursday, so somewhere there's bound to be some MB irons laying around.

In my nine years of hitting blades (mp67s) and CBs (mp60s and mpFliHi), I found, despite trying, ZERO benefit in playing CB long irons. Same conclusion no matter what my index (8-16 at the time). All I do is switch between a 3i and 7w based on my mood and sometimes conditions. But I would say 75% of the time I play PW-3i blades. Other than the personal experience, here is my logic...

As stated earlier, handicap is irrelevant with blades. This includes long iron blades.

Also from a science perspective, the same justification you use to play a short iron blade is completely applicable to a long iron blade. There is nothing different in the science of blades between long and short ones that all of a sudden changes because you are a certain handicap. You will reap the same exact benefits from switching to a long iron blade as you will with a short iron. The same issues you have with CB short irons apply to CB long irons.

Also BTW I'm pretty sure all of us blade users 'struggle' to hit a long iron pure 100% time. 100% is a rather lofty goal. The bottom line from a science perspective is simply that every iron that is longer and stronger lofted than the next one will get harder to hit. So yes the long irons are harder...but then so are long iron CBs! For the very same reasons.

As to the loft gap issue, my 3i is 21* and so is my 7w.

Also my inner OCD engineer doesn't like bag inconsistency (control the variables!!!), so adding a different club like a hybrid or CB long iron in between my blades and woods makes little sense. Another type of club added just adds potential for a little inconsistency as you switch to it and the other types of clubs. With my setup I have my woods swing and my blades swing which only slightly change based on club length and loft. But again I'm an OCD engineer that likes limited variability. (Keep...It...Simple...Stupid...is a mantra). To me, my head spins when I read posts like yours and guys stressing about long irons and what to do about it and it just results in more bag variability.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Ah-ha! Well there you go Ziggy! Callaway's Razr X MBs/X Prototypes are about as awesome an MB as you could get :)

You could do well to have a look at their new version, but picking up a set of their old ones would be a great introduction

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

In my nine years of hitting blades (mp67s) and CBs (mp60s and mpFliHi), I found, despite trying, ZERO benefit in playing CB long irons. Same conclusion no matter what my index (8-16 at the time). All I do is switch between a 3i and 7w based on my mood and sometimes conditions. But I would say 75% of the time I play PW-3i blades. Other than the personal experience, here is my logic...

As stated earlier, handicap is irrelevant with blades. This includes long iron blades.

Also from a science perspective, the same justification you use to play a short iron blade is completely applicable to a long iron blade. There is nothing different in the science of blades between long and short ones that all of a sudden changes because you are a certain handicap. You will reap the same exact benefits from switching to a long iron blade as you will with a short iron. The same issues you have with CB short irons apply to CB long irons.

Also BTW I'm pretty sure all of us blade users 'struggle' to hit a long iron pure 100% time. 100% is a rather lofty goal. The bottom line from a science perspective is simply that every iron that is longer and stronger lofted than the next one will get harder to hit. So yes the long irons are harder...but then so are long iron CBs! For the very same reasons.

As to the loft gap issue, my 3i is 21* and so is my 7w.

Also my inner OCD engineer doesn't like bag inconsistency (control the variables!!!), so adding a different club like a hybrid or CB long iron in between my blades and woods makes little sense. Another type of club added just adds potential for a little inconsistency as you switch to it and the other types of clubs. With my setup I have my woods swing and my blades swing which only slightly change based on club length and loft. But again I'm an OCD engineer that likes limited variability. (Keep...It...Simple...Stupid...is a mantra). To me, my head spins when I read posts like yours and guys stressing about long irons and what to do about it and it just results in more bag variability.

It's funny I actually barely use my 5i. I actually considered for a month taking out of my bag totally and carrying an extra sand wedge instead. I hit my 19* hybrid only about 5 yard further (yeah gapping issues... I just starting golfing last summer, and money is still tight) and I can manage to the hybrid much more consistent. I think it's because I only put on about a 90% swing because it's an R flex (noob move, assumed b/c I was new I needed R flex, when in fact I need much closer to X) and if I go for it 100%, I get a nice high hook that is impossible to control.

Anyway, after that ramble, I am def going to look into it. I'm getting to the point where I think I can have a break through in my game this year and get into the teens in index. I'm finding I'm able to hit draws or fades when I want with these GI irons now, although it's pretty hard for me to hit a real fade with them. My natural swing tends to always have face a touch closed at impact, so swing path is my main variable.

Ah-ha! Well there you go Ziggy! Callaway's Razr X MBs/X Prototypes are about as awesome an MB as you could get :)

You could do well to have a look at their new version, but picking up a set of their old ones would be a great introduction

LOL I'm hoping I almost don't like MB's because lord knows I don't need to spend ANY more money on clubs at this point, even though my bag is still a work in progress.

Jeez, the itch to constantly upgrade and try new stuff is super real..

LOL I'm hoping I almost don't like MB's because lord knows I don't need to spend ANY more money on clubs at this point, even though my bag is still a work in progress.

Well that's all part of the fun. I just posted in another thread my current sets of irons and there's just no way to play 10 sets at the same time ;)

But there is only one way to find out what you like - especially if you are new to the game - and that's to have an open mind and try various things (sound like something I may have said to a lady or two in college. I kid. I kid.)

You may find those Hot Metals are all you need and play them for a decade or maybe you go the other route. As long as you are having fun actually playing golf, outside on a golf course, and not in here, that's all that counts :)

F.T.

Well that's all part of the fun. I just posted in another thread my current sets of irons and there's just no way to play 10 sets at the same time ;)

But there is only one way to find out what you like - especially if you are new to the game - and that's to have an open mind and try various things (sound like something I may have said to a lady or two in college. I kid. I kid.)

You may find those Hot Metals are all you need and play them for a decade or maybe you go the other route. As long as you are having fun actually playing golf, outside on a golf course, and not in here, that's all that counts :)

Golf is a "Want" and a luxury sport as far as I'm concerned. All you "need" to play golf technically are a few clubs and range balls. However, I have found out being highly fit and really loving the feel of clubs makes a massive difference. My scores dropped 10 strokes almost immediately when I got my Fly Z driver, and a few more strokes when I got "real" wedges that fit my swing.

For me right now, it really comes down to money and buying things I know I need to help lower scores (lessons, more rounds, proper shafts) as opposed to GI CB vs MB clubs, even if the forged clubs feel oh so sexay. If it turns out I can budget for buying a used set of MP5's or something after I buy all the other stuff this year, I would certainly give it a go. If they feel as good or better than those 54's, I'm going to love playing even more!

Golf is a "Want" and a luxury sport as far as I'm concerned. All you "need" to play golf technically are a few clubs and range balls. However, I have found out being highly fit and really loving the feel of clubs makes a massive difference. My scores dropped 10 strokes almost immediately when I got my Fly Z driver, and a few more strokes when I got "real" wedges that fit my swing.

For me right now, it really comes down to money and buying things I know I need to help lower scores (lessons, more rounds, proper shafts) as opposed to GI CB vs MB clubs, even if the forged clubs feel oh so sexay. If it turns out I can budget for buying a used set of MP5's or something after I buy all the other stuff this year, I would certainly give it a go. If they feel as good or better than those 54's, I'm going to love playing even more!

That's it :)

The irons will always be there and you can always change them around and buy another set, but the sooner you get your swing to a place where you are happy with it and enjoying the game more because of it, the longer you have it with you.

Enjoy the journey!

F.T.

Ugh it is so hard to stay optimistic. Now I feel like a betamax video tape player owner in the early 80s. My only defense mechanism to the likely travesty of Miura blades is that at least I got my BBs and I have two Miura blade sets that I can probably stretch over 15 years before I need to replace them.

Does anyone know for sure that this impacts both Miura and Miura-Giken? Meaning, is there any chance Miura-Giken will live on and untouched by the new owners? I think the article only mentioned Miura.

I'm not trying to be glib, but I think you've moved into the same zone I am, with my various Ram Tour Grinds. Ram disappeared into the hinterlands a couple years after the TearDrop group got hold of them, when they were positioned behind Tommy Armour (also owned by TearDrop) in terms of quality offerings.

These days, the name appears to be licensed for the sets you see at sporting goods stores.

From my perspective, doesn't look like it could/should wind up that way, at least not for quite a long while. Miura is at a completely different place than was Ram in the late 90s when the Hansbergers sold to TearDrop.

Thanks for the empathy and perspective, mon frere.

Yeah in the article there was a pic of the new Miura G irons. Ugh, they looked like the rape child of a CB-501 by PXG. "Perfect" for a sporting goods store.

On another note, about 3 months ago, I was at my Miura fitter's shop, who also sells PXG, and I didn't think anything of it at the time, but he said he was selling PXGs over Miuras. In hindsight, it was an omen.

Registered Bladeocrat

Z1ggy16, you sound like you really want to play some blades. Assuming that, just get those mp32s or any blade within your budget. If that forged CB feel scratched an itch in your inner golfer, the forged + blades feel is going to keep itching down the road. You can do it!!!

Edit: Just for context, there is a subtle but yet distinct feel and feedback difference between my forged mp60s and mp67s. By analogy, mp67s are like seeing my swing in 720p HD and my mp60s are like standard def.

Registered Bladeocrat

I think the MP32's are going to be bid up like crazy. The next cheapest full set on ebay is listed for $269 :swoon:

I'm looking to spend $<150 seeing as this is pretty much just an experiment for me. My priority this year was to get the right shafts for all my woods and a new hybrid to fit gapping. But I'll keep my eye open and check listings often if either of these do not work out.

On another note, about 3 months ago, I was at my Miura fitter's shop, who also sells PXG, and I didn't think anything of it at the time, but he said he was selling PXGs over Miuras. In hindsight, it was an omen.

Certain amount of hype and flavor of the month going on. Sadly, that's the state of our society these last few decades.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I think the MP32's are going to be bid up like crazy. The next cheapest full set on ebay is listed for $269 :swoon:

I'm looking to spend $<150 seeing as this is pretty much just an experiment for me. My priority this year was to get the right shafts for all my woods and a new hybrid to fit gapping. But I'll keep my eye open and check listings often if either of these do not work out.

Are you mainly keen on Mizzys?

Anyways just be patient. I bought a set of MP-33s (3-PW) off Dallasgolf a couple years ago for around $135 and they were in very good nick.

While globalgolf, dallasgolf etc... might not have super deals on the most recent used clubs, I've found they will look to punt stuff from before 2010 quite cheap at times.

If you are flexible you may find an old set of 710 MBs or an older TMAG MB that don't have much cachet value, so they are cheap.

F.T.

Are you mainly keen on Mizzys?

Anyways just be patient. I bought a set of MP-33s (3-PW) off Dallasgolf a couple years ago for around $135 and they were in very good nick.

While globalgolf, dallasgolf etc... might not have super deals on the most recent used clubs, I've found they will look to punt stuff from before 2010 quite cheap at times.

If you are flexible you may find an old set of 710 MBs or an older TMAG MB that don't have much cachet value, so they are cheap.

Meh, kind of. To be fair though it's only because I play them now. I've hit all the recent manf offerings in CB design and they were by far the best for ME. I did hit the RSi1's well, but I wasn't into the whole face slot tech garbage going on. I like simple and clean and honestly mizzy was the only company that was making GI CB''s that fit the bill and felt awesome to boot.

I did look into older Titleist MB's though, and you have to go back pretty far in time to get to the $<150 value. Could be because golf is off season, maybe next month things will heat up, then for sure in March.

Hi all,

My name is Jesse and I live in western NY, so golf season here is currently over. I'm in the market for new irons, and find myself very drawn to Ping, specifically the i blades.

I married into a golf loving family and have been playing 2 - 3 times a week for 4 years. My goal is to shoot around an 85 but definitely try to stay under 90. That being said my personal best is a 79 and I'd shoot better scores if I didn't put a drive OB and duff a chip or crush a putt a few times around.

When I started I'd fight a slice in everything but now everything is pretty much straight (with the occasional slice w the driver).

Thank you for bearing with me through all that, so should I really be looking to stay in the GI catagory? Or would it be possible to play the iblades?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Schmeegz,

In short, you will be fine playing any iron your heart desires. If you like how it looks, play it!

There is zero statistically valid correlation between iron type and skill level.

There are some unforgiving features in GI/CB clubs too. A blade or player's CB is easier for clean ball contact due to thinner soles. Ball control and dispersion is better due to the reinforced and thicker face wall. Feel and feedback is better for learning and overall enjoyment (high definition golf and focus on GOOD strikes!) With CBs you get less of all of this.

Play what your heart desires without any technical fear.

But IMHO a blade made from a single block of forged steel will be better feeling than an iBlade.

Registered Bladeocrat