2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Duff, you haven't come across a set of Mac MT Pro Ms have you?

You know I've tried, but I just cannot get into the older models, seems the MP-33s are as far back as I can go and play. I know, I know. Yoof* these days. No appreciation for older things ;)

But yes, after the back and forth last week, I went with a set of these. Sub $500 for a new set of irons always piques my interest. I passed on the z945s when they were sub $400, but figured, heck who doesn't need a set of irons with two digits on the bottom :) So an even 3 sets of MBs is enough... for now.

*I'm 44.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

You know I've tried, but I just cannot get into the older models, seems the MP-33s are as far back as I can go and play. I know, I know. Yoof* these days. No appreciation for older things ;)

But yes, after the back and forth last week, I went with a set of these. Sub $500 for a new set of irons always piques my interest. I passed on the z945s, but figured, heck who doesn't need a set of irons with two digits on the bottom :) So an even 3 sets of MBs is enough... for now.

Interested to hear how those Ft Worths play...

*I'm 44.

Nice grab! I hope Hogan make it through the current crisis they seem to be having...haven't even seen a distributor in the U.K. yet! Those Macs only date to 2008 and were the last line before the Golfsmith buyout and decline...I'm having a bit of a fixation issue with them at the minute!! I'm only 47...I was 46 yesterday!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

But yes, after the back and forth last week, I went with a set of these. Sub $500 for a new set of irons always piques my interest. I passed on the z945s, but figured, heck who doesn't need a set of irons with two digits on the bottom :) So an even 3 sets of MBs is enough... for now.

*I'm 44.

Nice grab! I hope Hogan make it through the current crisis they seem to be having...haven't even seen a distributor in the U.K. yet! Those Macs only date to 2008 and were the last line before the Golfsmith buyout and decline...I'm having a bit of a fixation issue with them at the minute!! I'm only 47...I was 46 yesterday!

The Ft. Worths are my Xmas/Bday present to myself and they are staying in the flat until after I'm done some swing changes, as a further present for getting through that. Their topline is a bit thicker than the MP4s/Cobras, but they have a real boxy look to them which I like, which maybe contributes to the topline looking thicker or vice versa. Their 'V sole' is tiny compared the the z9s. And I am now totally done buying!

Well OK only '08 for the Macs? Ya OK, I'll see about sorting that out then.

And Happy Birthday! I'm a January baby as well. I miss being able to have a proper steak pie and some/many pints of something out of a cask to celebrate.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

*I'm 44.

The Ft. Worths are my Xmas/Bday present to myself and they are staying in the flat until after I'm done some swing changes, as a further present for getting through that. Their topline is a bit thicker than the MP4s/Cobras, but they have a real boxy look to them which I like, which maybe contributes to the topline looking thicker or vice versa. Their 'V sole' is tiny compared the the z9s. And I am now totally done buying!

And Happy Birthday! I'm a January baby as well. I miss being able to have a proper steak pie and some/many pints of something out of a cask to celebrate.

Cheers! I'm lucky that I live within 5 minute walking distance of 4 real ale pubs...first Thursday in the month is the usual 'Curry Club' (some guys from my street) night out but that's been pushed back this month due to Christmas...our local has 8 guest beers every week but that would be too many for one night ;-).

Have a good birthday yourself and look forward to seeing how the swing changes and new clubs work out.

Radius Classic 8

Found my clubs!

Been looking everywhere for the past 6-7 years for a clean set of these Macgregors M85's ColoKrom's. The sets that I came across were too beat up, or a bit too pricey for me.

Enter..... my buddy Eric who used to be my neighbor, a Norfolk City policeman, and a official "CLUB HO". We still get together once a year and have a fun day on the course. He's a cop up in Hellertown PA now where he grew up. He's always finding good deals out on his travels or off Ebay. I was teasing him the other night about being a HO, and he starts posting pics of some of his newer finds just to tease me. I saw the M85's in his 2nd or 3rd post. You all can read the back and forth conversation.

Link:

https://www.facebook.com/john.lannon.756/posts/1866387586929941?comment_id=1867235006845199

Oh man.... he amazes me sometimes with his finagling skills. Well, anyways, I am sending off my nice 990B's I have in exchange for the Mac's.

Cheers! I'm lucky that I live within 5 minute walking distance of 4 real ale pubs...first Thursday in the month is the usual 'Curry Club' (some guys from my street) night out but that's been pushed back this month due to Christmas...our local has 8 guest beers every week but that would be too many for one night ;-).

Have a good birthday yourself and look forward to seeing how the swing changes and new clubs work out.

You b@stard! On two counts now :)

I used to live in St. Albans, so the spiritual and/or literal birthplace of CAMRA, depending on who you talk to. Even with the continual threat of closures, soooo many good pubs. We never went to fewer than 3 on a Thurs and Sat evening.

Anyhoo on the irons, I am guessing that the MBs in a combo set, while being stamped Pro-CM are no different than the full MB set stamped Pro-M?

F.T.

Found my clubs!

Been looking everywhere for the past 6-7 years for a clean set of these Macgregors M85's ColoKrom's. The sets that I came across were too beat up, or a bit too pricey for me.

Enter..... my buddy Eric who used to be my neighbor, a Norfolk City policeman, and a official "CLUB HO". We still get together once a year and have a fun day on the course. He's a cop up in Hellertown PA now where he grew up. He's always finding good deals out on his travels or off Ebay. I was teasing him the other night about being a HO, and he starts posting pics of some of his newer finds just to tease me. I saw the M85's in his 2nd or 3rd post. You all can read the back and forth conversation.

Link:

https://www.facebook.com/john.lannon.756/posts/1866387586929941?comment_id=1867235006845199

Oh man.... he amazes me sometimes with his finagling skills. Well, anyways, I am sending off my nice 990B's I have in exchange for the Mac's.

Beautiful sticks. That photo cracks me up, not only because I own both of those movies, but more so the camo golf bag. You throw on a ghillie suit at dusk and sneak onto the country club for premium golf? :D

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

After almost three seasons away from MBs, the 945s are firmly in the bag. I also think DGS300s are my shaft. I strayed away from both in search of something, but I feel like I have the most fun and control of the golf ball with them. I will hang on to the J15CBs (they're sweet) for those periods when I'm feeling like a change.

The vsole is very good. Played a couple times in sloppy conditions and they've been stellar.

Unfortunately as the ho I am, I can't say the 945s will stay forever, as the search for that soul filling true MB feel (tourstage 909s we're so good) will probably continue. As good as the 945s feel, they seem a tad soft/whispy, when compared to the fat powerful muscle style MBs.

Anyway, glad to be back and have that extra special part of the game back. And am hopeful I don't wander too far before Bandon next month, as playing there with MBs in the bag will be amazing.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

You b@stard! On two counts now :)

I used to live in St. Albans, so the spiritual and/or literal birthplace of CAMRA, depending on who you talk to. Even with the continual threat of closures, soooo many good pubs. We never went to fewer than 3 on a Thurs and Sat evening.

Anyhoo on the irons, I am guessing that the MBs in a combo set, while being stamped Pro-CM are no different than the full MB set stamped Pro-M?

Yes you got it. I have the Pro Cs that form the C bit of the combo and are fabulous clubs...hence the desire to play the Ms. Iirc Norman played a Proto set of Ms in the 2008 Open.

Radius Classic 8

After almost three seasons away from MBs, the 945s are firmly in the bag. I also think DGS300s are my shaft. I strayed away from both in search of something, but I feel like I have the most fun and control of the golf ball with them. I will hang on to the J15CBs (they're sweet) for those periods when I'm feeling like a change.

The vsole is very good. Played a couple times in sloppy conditions and they've been stellar.

Unfortunately as the ho I am, I can't say the 945s will stay forever, as the search for that soul filling true MB feel (tourstage 909s we're so good) will probably continue. As good as the 945s feel, they seem a tad soft/whispy, when compared to the fat powerful muscle style MBs.

Anyway, glad to be back and have that extra special part of the game back. And am hopeful I don't wander too far before Bandon next month, as playing there with MBs in the bag will be amazing.

Ooh, Fun fun!

I played there with the Fly Z Pros in November and... um... erm... I drove the ball well ;)

As you know, hopefully you have worn them in well enough by now, because winter Bandon will sure remove any vestiges of newness that remain. Surely the best worst place to take new sticks.

F.T.

Went for a little trip with my two newest acquisitions. (three if you count the deuce).

I've got some problems, but playing CBs ain't one.

2 irons are amazing clubs! Good find! Deuce counts double.

I've got 99 problems, but a 'back ain't one!

"...Like what?

One less, one less problem

Head in the clouds,

Got no weight on my perimeter

I should be wiser

And realize that I've got (I've got)..."

Sing it, Slicealotta Grande!

Also, sweet blades, Christen. I am partial to the R58s - a no nonsense blade design. Love it.

99 problems, but a BACK ain't one!

LMAO excellent pick up there Sir! You even figured out how to work in your physics and science...

He blinded me with science....and failed me in geometry...Hahaha how's that for an ad summary?

2 irons are amazing clubs! Good find! Deuce counts double.

I've got 99 problems, but a 'back ain't one!

"...Like what?

Head in the clouds,

Got no weight on my perimeter

I should be wiser

And realize that I've got (I've got)..."

Sing it, Slicealotta Grande!

Also, sweet blades, Christen. I am partial to the R58s - a no nonsense blade design. Love it.

99 problems, but a BACK ain't one!

LMAO excellent pick up there Sir! You even figured out how to work in your physics and science...

He blinded me with science....and failed me in geometry...Hahaha how's that for an ad summary?

LOL Tommy D is well played! And absolutely I'm gonna keep working the (irrefutable) science of the technical superiority of blades and the sham science of "forgiveness"! At every opportunity!

But I also completely understand the pure aesthetics of beautiful blades in addition to the science. To paraphrase the venerable Sir Mixalot...

"I like muscle backs and I cannot lie,

You other bladers can't deny,

That when a blade walks in with no perimeter weight,

And an MB in your face,

You get sprung, want to pull up tough,

'Cause you notice that back was stuffed..."

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I took 5 years, away from golf after college, and starting my own business. Now the business is established and going well my wife told me I needed a hobby other than the business. So this summer I took my old clubs out, 690.MB, and I was very rusty. I decided to get some new clubs and the shop I went to pushed me into the Ping G. I couldn't stand to look down at them but the guys at the shop said that's what I needed and I truested them because I hit them better than most anything else. Needless to say I'm back to swinging my 690.MB and my swing is coming back with a lot of practice. The Ping G goes further than my 690 but if I compare same lofts the distance is the same. I'm not a great golfer and poor strike is bad with either, the G doesn't somehow make me a better golfer. A bad swing isn't magically made better with the G. I built a simulator in our barn and I hit a lot of balls. I feel like when I'm hitting the 690 I can tell when I hit it well and when I hit it poor. I can guess the outcome of a shot without the projector even turned on not seeing the shot result on the screen. I have found the sensation of a great shot and I work to reproduce that every time. A great shot with the blades is addictive. The blade irons have made me keep my hands ahead of the club head and not flick my hands and the club through contact. I was getting ok distance with the G doing that but it was masking a terrible swing fault. The 690 not so much. I'm hitting the ball higher on the club than before and the trajectory is so much better. I believe everything that has been said about working with blades because it makes you learn to hit the ball right they don't hide anything. These game improvement clubs just let you get away with poor mechanics. My father tells me to hit his old mcgregor 1 iron if I really want to practice. It's fun having a group of guys over and everyone taking a try with the 1 iron. I love hitting it off a tee.

My question is what modern club would be most like the 690.MB that I'm using now? I love everything about them but they are getting beat up. I love the look of them, and I'm not a great golfer, but I can tell it's like there is something different about the bottom of the club head they just feel like they work through the ground better for me. I have read a lot on here about the amount of bounce and grind of the sole and how it makes a difference for some. Whatever it is about the 690.MB I love it. When I go into the shop I ask about hitting the blades and they laugh at me and push the same giant ugly shovels at me so I have pretty much quit going. I tell them I don't play for a living. I want to like the clubs I play. I can't get over the light weight, ugly looks, and terrible feel of the irons they want me to try. They don't want to even help me or let me demo the different blades so I quit going and asking. From looks alone I have been close to pulling the trigger on the Wilson FG Tour 100 they look nice.

Edit: I should add back in college we played a lot of golf. We never tracked our scores or anything but I would have considered myself a decent player. My father was a 3 cap and he would beat me most times but we were close. I hope to get back there but I have gained some weight since and am trying to get my swing back.

My question is what modern club would be most like the 690.MB that I'm using now?

You could probably find second hand sets of 690.MBs on the net in decent condition, if you like them that much. Otherwise, I would suggest starting with Titleist blades (716, which are more like the 680s) and working your way from there.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!

Wow, what a great thread. 300+ pages! Amazing.

Used to frequent the site often but work has been insane the last couple of years and just no time. Trying to get back to doing some fun things instead of working.

Have played blades my entire life. Hogan hand-me-downs from my dad who bought every set that came out from the Producer (really ugly ones) up to the 92 Ft. Worth Apex Redlines. Can't stand looking at a cavity back club. Also don't hit them any better than blades. I can play them (Ping Eye2s etc.) but I don't like looking at them.

I picked up my dad's bad habit and have a set of every Apex blade from 72 through 99. I play the PCs most regularly, but also play the white cameo Apex IIs and the redlines.

Even my modern set is still blades. Titleist 680s (used to be the 681s until they were no longer confirming...)

Here are some pics that I think I posted in the past: Hogan Apex PC irons, Wilson Fluid Feel Buttonback SW, Bullseye putter, Macgregor driver and 3 wood and a PowerBilt 4 wood. The 4 wood and putter are clubs I have owned since my high school playing days (yes, I was stupid enough to putt with a Bullseye back in the day).

Still have enough game to play persimmon and love the feel of a wood wood and old blade irons. The ball that I really enjoy using with these old clubs is the Wilson ZIP golf ball. Very soft feel.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I took 5 years, away from golf after college, and starting my own business. Now the business is established and going well my wife told me I needed a hobby other than the business. So this summer I took my old clubs out, 690.MB, and I was very rusty. I decided to get some new clubs and the shop I went to pushed me into the Ping G. I couldn't stand to look down at them but the guys at the shop said that's what I needed and I truested them because I hit them better than most anything else. Needless to say I'm back to swinging my 690.MB and my swing is coming back with a lot of practice. The Ping G goes further than my 690 but if I compare same lofts the distance is the same. I'm not a great golfer and poor strike is bad with either, the G doesn't somehow make me a better golfer. A bad swing isn't magically made better with the G. I built a simulator in our barn and I hit a lot of balls. I feel like when I'm hitting the 690 I can tell when I hit it well and when I hit it poor. I can guess the outcome of a shot without the projector even turned on not seeing the shot result on the screen. I have found the sensation of a great shot and I work to reproduce that every time. A great shot with the blades is addictive. The blade irons have made me keep my hands ahead of the club head and not flick my hands and the club through contact. I was getting ok distance with the G doing that but it was masking a terrible swing fault. The 690 not so much. I'm hitting the ball higher on the club than before and the trajectory is so much better. I believe everything that has been said about working with blades because it makes you learn to hit the ball right they don't hide anything. These game improvement clubs just let you get away with poor mechanics. My father tells me to hit his old mcgregor 1 iron if I really want to practice. It's fun having a group of guys over and everyone taking a try with the 1 iron. I love hitting it off a tee.

My question is what modern club would be most like the 690.MB that I'm using now? I love everything about them but they are getting beat up. I love the look of them, and I'm not a great golfer, but I can tell it's like there is something different about the bottom of the club head they just feel like they work through the ground better for me. I have read a lot on here about the amount of bounce and grind of the sole and how it makes a difference for some. Whatever it is about the 690.MB I love it. When I go into the shop I ask about hitting the blades and they laugh at me and push the same giant ugly shovels at me so I have pretty much quit going. I tell them I don't play for a living. I want to like the clubs I play. I can't get over the light weight, ugly looks, and terrible feel of the irons they want me to try. They don't want to even help me or let me demo the different blades so I quit going and asking. From looks alone I have been close to pulling the trigger on the Wilson FG Tour 100 they look nice.

Edit: I should add back in college we played a lot of golf. We never tracked our scores or anything but I would have considered myself a decent player. My father was a 3 cap and he would beat me most times but we were close. I hope to get back there but I have gained some weight since and am trying to get my swing back.

No need to believe what is being said about the superior workability and feel/feedback of a blade. It's not a subjective call. The physics fully supports it as FACT. The only thing technically debatable is relative magnitude of the superiority.

And what you experience at your shop when you want to try some blades is prevalent within the industry that is based on the FALSE PREMISES or faux "science" of "forgiveness". The industry and business of "forgiving" clubs want to create a market segmented as much as possible by handicap (i.e. ballstriking skill level) and with the mindset to push the most "forgiveness" possible on any and all golfers. This way, there is a greater chance that the golfer is going to keep purchasing more and more sets as his handicap changes.

This would all be fine and dandy if there was any merit to "forgiving" technology, but it is not at all justified by the science. Again because it is largely based on FALSE ASSUMPTIONS. Plus to supplement this there is ZERO scientifically valid data that correlates anyone's handicap to a particular iron type. If "forgiving" technology is so significant, then there *should* be data to support it by now. And by data I mean data that includes a statistically significant relevance to a golfer's score; otherwise, said "technology" is meaningless. Furthermore, golfers like you and I both continually prove the meaninglessness and waste of time with "forgiving" clubs and moreover prove the opposite: that blades are the best clubs for our games...and at any skill level.

I've had similar experiences in shops. It's frustrating and really an insult to anyone that understands the true physics of "forgiveness" and/or that just want to play some blades. I avoid those shops, but LOL given the opportunity I will give the ignorant sales guy a physics lesson about the detriments of CB designs...I love seeing their blank stares...and also I will proceed to hit both a blade and CB under their monitors to prove there is NOTHING brought to the table by a "forgiving" CB of similar length and loft to a blade.

Registered Bladeocrat

Oh momma!! I may have to pull the trigger.

Wow!

Damn shipping costs, damn import taxes, damn exchange rate!!!!

Radius Classic 8

Went for a little trip with my two newest acquisitions. (three if you count the deuce). Redlines are the most playable blade I've hit. I was hitting draws and fades on command and the height on the 6 iron was something else. Prettiest clubs out there too.

The Tourney MT R58... Really really nice looking club. Not so long, heel to toe. Solid as anything out there and seemed to fly a little further than the Hogans. I think the long irons maybe a little nicer than the Hogans, but I'm gonna leave that for next time.

I've got some problems, but playing CBs ain't one.

As many Macs as I have seen,owned and messed with I have never seen a set of R-58s Nice looking The Stamping on the sole reminds me of the mid 80s Macgregor Tour Blades--- Those must have been forged overseas or been an export product only

http://ameblo.jp/macgregor1897/entry-11514820814.html

Made in Japan.

A few people have speculated they were forged by Miura, but I haven't found out for sure.

Found my clubs!

Link:

https://www.facebook...867235006845199

Now THAT'S a hosel! Looks like a fricken' giraffe! Nice though.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

Well, the Ram irons arrived today, and they look absolutely gorgeous. They are in better condition than I anticipated for the price I paid for them (the listing did not show pictures of the faces). A touch of browning on the 7i, but not that noticeable, and the sole of the SW is a bit worn, but nothing too bad. In fact, I might well put the whole set into play, because the SW sets up nicely. What I really like about them is the fact that, although they have some offset, the face doesn't appear to be pointing left. That's what I really dislike about my VIPs, and even the MP-4s to a point; they all appear to me to be pointing left. As a drawer of the ball, that's not what I want!

Anyway, I've left the clubs at my local shop to get the lofts and lies checked, because I have no idea what they are, or even what they should be. I am going to try playing them as is--with the old R400 shaft, but I see a shaft swap in the near future.

They are beautiful looking irons. When I get them back tomorrow I will try to get some pictures up.

I took 5 years, away from golf after college, and starting my own business. Now the business is established and going well my wife told me I needed a hobby other than the business. So this summer I took my old clubs out,690.MB, and I was very rusty. I decided to get some new clubs and the shop I went to pushed me into the Ping G. I couldn't stand to look down at them but the guys at the shop said that's what I needed and I truested them because I hit them better than most anything else. Needless to say I'm back to swinging my 690.MB and my swing is coming back with a lot of practice. The Ping G goes further than my 690 but if I compare same lofts the distance is the same. I'm not a great golfer and poor strike is bad with either, the G doesn't somehow make me a better golfer. A bad swing isn't magically made better with the G. I built a simulator in our barn and I hit a lot of balls. I feel like when I'm hitting the 690 I can tell when I hit it well and when I hit it poor. I can guess the outcome of a shot without the projector even turned on not seeing the shot result on the screen. I have found the sensation of a great shot and I work to reproduce that every time. A great shot with the blades is addictive. The blade irons have made me keep my hands ahead of the club head and not flick my hands and the club through contact. I was getting ok distance with the G doing that but it was masking a terrible swing fault. The 690 not so much. I'm hitting the ball higher on the club than before and the trajectory is so much better. I believe everything that has been said about working with blades because it makes you learn to hit the ball right they don't hide anything. These game improvement clubs just let you get away with poor mechanics. My father tells me to hit his old mcgregor 1 iron if I really want to practice. It's fun having a group of guys over and everyone taking a try with the 1 iron. I love hitting it off a tee.

If I was to buy new gear (which I never do) I would go to a serious pro and pay for a SHAFT fitting....try them all in flex and weight with a head that was at a minimum a players' CB. Confirm, weighting, flex, swing weight and off set preference. From there choosing new irons (especially traditional clubs) will get a lot easier and your buy will be a lot more informed. You have the a perspective on why you want to play MB's ('the swing is the thing'..I agree :) ) and retail guys have their perspective on why they do not want to sell MB's (a ton of buyers' regrets). Navigating their biases by understanding the benefits and trade offs of specifications frees you up to look beyond local Golf Galaxy guy and find yourself a club you can love.

Anybody have any golf related (or non golf related) resolutions or goals for 2017? In 2016 mine was to learn to hit a stock cut with driver and 3w off tee, which I did with quite a bit of success (had always hit draw or two way miss my whole life). This was a huge part of winning the Wyoming State Four ball championship last fall, as I was a fairway finding machine with the cut.

Anyway, this year my golf goals/resolutions are pretty vague, but they all have to do with short game and mental game. Feeling pretty good about full swings. Just want to practice my face off from 130 in, get wedges dialed for contact, trajectory, shape, spin, direction, and distance control. Then do tons of practicing greenside, develop huge arsenal of chips and flops. And putting of course. Want to putt the lights out this year. And then mental game: stay in present, control emotions, consistent preshot routine, get as clear a picture as possible on every shot, execute with no fear., accept the result, develop post shot routine.

Sorry, I know that's kind of vague and a lot of stuff (i.e. get better at golf is my goal) but the short version is: Focus on short game and mental game and continue to improve.

Anybody else?

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Anybody have any golf related (or non golf related) resolutions or goals for 2017? In 2016 mine was to learn to hit a stock cut with driver and 3w off tee, which I did with quite a bit of success (had always hit draw or two way miss my whole life). This was a huge part of winning the Wyoming State Four ball championship last fall, as I was a fairway finding machine with the cut.

Anyway, this year my golf goals/resolutions are pretty vague, but they all have to do with short game and mental game. Feeling pretty good about full swings. Just want to practice my face off from 130 in, get wedges dialed for contact, trajectory, shape, spin, direction, and distance control. Then do tons of practicing greenside, develop huge arsenal of chips and flops. And putting of course. Want to putt the lights out this year. And then mental game: stay in present, control emotions, consistent preshot routine, get as clear a picture as possible on every shot, execute with no fear., accept the result, develop post shot routine.

Sorry, I know that's kind of vague and a lot of stuff (i.e. get better at golf is my goal) but the short version is: Focus on short game and mental game and continue to improve.

Anybody else?

Yeah to play the game totally right brained ........to leave swing thoughts at the range and to play with a lot more creativity.

To play more. I worked just over 3300 hours in 2016 with a grand total of 19 days off. I'd find that the nights I'd get called out and catch myself working 18-20 hours at a time that on my way home the next morning I had just enough in me to call my father in law (who's retired) and go golf somewhere. Towards the last 3-4 holes I'd catch my hands shaking while putting from exhaustion. Was the only real time I got to go golf. I get called out enough that I just kept golf clothes and equipment in my car.

So yeah. Just play more.

***Edit to adjust hours. Have never sat down and actually calculated it before

My goals:

Eliminate my slide in the DS and keep the center of the swing (the point directly in between the shoulder sockets) in a stable and consistent position at impact.

Shorten my backswing.

Break 80 from the tips at my home course.

Maintain my index in the single digits. Not one ghin update with it > 10.

Registered Bladeocrat

My goals:

Eliminate my slide in the DS and keep the center of the swing (the point directly in between the shoulder sockets) in a stable and consistent position at impact.

Shorten my backswing.

I've thought about shortening the back swing as well. Do you lose control at the top and tilt your wrists in towards your head at the apex?

My goals:

Shorten my backswing.

I've thought about shortening the back swing as well. Do you lose control at the top and tilt your wrists in towards your head at the apex?

Yes. The only way to extremely hinge your wrists is to start cupping the lead one which is the same thing as tilting them towards the head as you stated. While you can turn fast at the start of the DS with extreme wrists hinge at the top (because the clubhead weight is close to the body so you can turn with a low swing MOI), it is harder to be consistent with setting the hinge itself. The wrists have relatively weak muscles and so to hinge them too much makes consistency more difficult.

But another bigger issue with overswinging for me is that I am super flexible and I can make a shoulders turn more than most folks. And when it gets out of hand my head turns to the point that I lose sight of the ball and the center of my swing has a tendency to drift towards the target so that the ball comes back into my field of view sooner as I am downswinging. So the issue exacerbates my DS slide issue more than the issue of losing wrist control.

If I fix my overswing, it will help both issues.

Registered Bladeocrat