2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Has anyone ever heard of a golf company by the name of Mixson Golf??

http://www.mixsongolf.com/

I'm appalled :cheesy:

Ah, a commercial from the now almost defunct "Shout a lot at the Camera" school of advertising.

The M2 irons are nice to look at, but I can't help think I've seen that head before...

The same goes for the M16 Tournament Blade, but I have to be honest: the lack of any design on the back is actually pretty cool.

Did you notice that the 2015 Limited Edition iron set (2,100USD!) not only includes a 1 and 2 iron, but is also a reverse muscle? That's...unusual.

The M16 Tournament blades I see a lot. They look like MP-5's maybe? No, more like the MP-29 after further consideration. I dig the 1&2 iron, but for that money there needs to be a bit more detail to the finishing. Cousin Jimmy's Dremel Dreamworks doesn't do it for me.

Well it's official! The new is beginning to wear off my MP-4's! There are dings and scratches in there that won't buff out. It excites me to know that once those clubs were new and the marks are a history of my own progress down the rabbit hole. That said, they still got a wash and dry followed by a light wipe down with oil...since it was muddy and I am not ready to let them go all the way just yet. There remains but one question: What ever will I do if I should wear out my 1&2 irons? This can't possibly happen. :stop:

It's funny how I'm getting my ID in bold font in this discussion. LOL

Pro Tour Camber Sole are a subset of the various Golden Rams. I first saw mention of them related to either the 80-82 Tour Grinds, or the 83-86 Vibration Matched, but had seen a set of Frequency Matched Camber Soles out on fleabay. Catchy, are those the ones you acquired, or did you run across a set in a shop?

The Camber Soles are essentially a specialty grind, or a limited edition, as it were. Not unlike the TW276 or TW282 in that regard. Fairly self explanatory, they'll probably have some camber in the grind, not sure if it will be a four way, just heel to toe, or just front to back. In any event, a worthy choice.

The differences between the various iterations of the Ram Tour Grinds, 80-82 / 83-86 Vibration Matched / 87-92 Frequency Matched / FX Forged / TG-898 are subtle. And, because Ram operated a fairly active custom shop, there's a lot of what you might call cross pollination. The Maltby Club ID Guide descriptions says each is very similar to the previous model head shape, with the soles perhaps getting a bit less flat with each generation.

The variable is that custom shop I mentioned. My first set of Rams were Frequency Matched (I'd traded them long ago), and I still own a set of Vibration Matched. The VMs have more heel-toe camber than the FMs did, in some cases very slight, in some cases, quite a bit. It's been quite a few years since I've looked at them, but I remember the camber becoming a bit more pronounced as you moved to the shorter clubs.

The Rams will be firmer feeling than the Mizunos you've been hitting. And probably even the MacGregors, as well. On the Feel Scale, they're somewhere between Hogan Apex and MacGregor/Wilson Staff.

Hope you enjoy them. :)

I got mine off the Japan Yahoo! auction site. The camber sole drew my attention as well; could be good off Japanese fairways. The main worry is the shafts: they are R400. If they are old-school Rs, they may be OK, but I am expecting to have to pull them and put in something else.

What is a brand new set of Mizuno TN-87's (originals) worth head only? Just curious...

Looking for estimated guesses, even wild stabs in the dark.

Hard to say because even though they are generally regarded as special irons there would be a wide price range on them.

I think a brand new set of heads could fetch top dollar although a limited market. My guess is between $700 and $1000.

This would be double what a great condition set of used heads would fetch.

I paid $500 for my first set and picked up my second for $120 from a bloke who did not really know what he had, so prices can vary depending who is selling.

An ebay store is Australia who specializes in Japanese clubs has had 2 sets for sale recently. Both around $1000. They haven't sold.

The M16 Tournament blades I see a lot. They look like MP-5's maybe? No, more like the MP-29 after further consideration. I dig the 1&2 iron, but for that money there needs to be a bit more detail to the finishing. Cousin Jimmy's Dremel Dreamworks doesn't do it for me.

Very much like the MP-29s (or MP-37s)!

Guys? .................Serious question in regards to forged chroming these days.

How many rounds do you think that are you getting out of the newer forgings before the chrome is beat off the faces, not counting the wedges.

I am seeing forged sets come into my friends shop that are 3-4 years old, and are worn out in the 6-9 irons.

In light of the other posts for blade sub forums, and the positive "back to reality" thread that went south, I would like to start a POSITIVE only thread for players that use blades or those curious about what users are saying. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES is anyone answering to bring up the cbs vs blades dead horse subject. If someone posts disregarding that rule, I ask that all others contributing COMPLETELY IGNORE what they posted, even if it is a harmless post meant as a way to get the crapfest ball rolling. Please use good judgement in responding.

I will do my best to moderate and remind people of the rules of this thread as it grows and this post is buried. If you cannot contribute to this thread in the spirit in which it is being posted, please do not click on it or respond. This goes for everyone on all sides.

So what is the point of this thread? Basically I would like to pick up where the back to reality thread left off, and keep it all positive. Please post your awesome pics of clubs, share what clubs you love, which ones you would like to get/try, share your experiences, and what you like about traditional irons and all things blade.

So I will start.

My name is nick, I am a high 70s low 80s golfer. I love the game, and I love the shots I remember. To me, the best thing in golf is standing behind your ball, seeing your shot, the stepping up to the ball and making that image a reality. I prefer playing blades not for one main reason but the sum of a few. I very much prefer the feel/feedback, I am handsy and feel I can manipulate through the impact zone better(this is not always a good thing), and I prefer the address setup and very much a thinner sole to cut grass.

I am very partial to my mp 14s, they were not my first set by a longshot, but they are the golf club equivalent of my first love.

Grew up playing my Dad's hand me downs which were firstly George Nicoll Pinsplitters - real butter knifes made by a a now long gone company based in Leven in Fife (Scotland) and then moved onto a set of Slazenger Jack Nicklaus $1m Dollar blades (the muscle was a chevron shape and they had a brass pin through the hosel - Jack played MacGregor but these Slazenger clubs were endorsed by him and branded for the UK market). Have since moved onto a variety of bladed irons and the much lauded (on here) Mizuno MP33s with DG S300 shafts have to be my favourites, followed by Mizuno MP32s and Titleist 690MBs (no dot) also with DG S300s. Modern blades are so easy to hit in comparison with older small headed wafer thin 60s and 70s blades, but you would expect that as forging and design processes get better - just like the thin sole as I'm more of a picker than a digger.

Back from India, fully recuperated from a frozen shoulder which scared me a lot re my golf future. Acquired a new set of Seven blades (very small Japanese company) mainly because they were based on the same design philosophy as my Mac 1025M's but with little stronger lofts. When I bought them, I promised myself that 'this is it. I'm done. No more ho'ing.' These blades are not your father's blades. Make anything resembling a decent pass at the ball, and you'll be ok. And they look great, let you control the ball, feel great, etc. And literally No One will recognize them. I have the most anonymous bag on the planet.

That lasted till the first crappy round earlier this week. Immediately I was thinking, "#%&^! blades. I'm a poser who needs to admit it." So I go to my local mega golf store, see a set of 'almost players' CBs and get about 6 inches from pulling the trigger. It's the seductive lure: clubs will fix what ails you. The big lie, but powerful lie. It's like a leak in a hydraulic system where you can escape responsibility for your crappy swing... The swing's the thing. Then the fever passed. No club would fix the swings I put on the ball the other day. Later at the range, a little shift in setup position and tweak in backswing and - bam - there is was again. Wonderful.

The point is: blades put the question to you. Are you going to trust your passion and skill to enjoy them? Truth is, I am not a poser. I am a serious amateur who is really pleased with what I have built as a game. Now, I may only be a 9 index but I can find the center of the clubface most of the time.

Happy New Year! A toast: to a lot of great golf in 2017! With the shoulder scare, I wasn't sure what my golf future looked like but now it's better than in years, so I'm going to play some tournament golf this year.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

The point is: blades put the question to you. Are you going to trust your passion and skill to enjoy them? Truth is, I am not a poser. I am a serious amateur who is really pleased with what I have built as a game. Now, I may only be a 9 index but I can find the center of the clubface most of the time.

Damn fine post. Damn fine :D

In regards to your Shinigawas; photos or it never happened.

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Back from India, fully recuperated from a frozen shoulder which scared me a lot re my golf future. Acquired a new set of Seven blades (very small Japanese company) mainly because they were based on the same design philosophy as my Mac 1025M's but with little stronger lofts. When I bought them, I promised myself that 'this is it. I'm done. No more ho'ing.' These blades are not your father's blades. Make anything resembling a decent pass at the ball, and you'll be ok. And they look great, let you control the ball, feel great, etc. And literally No One will recognize them. I have the most anonymous bag on the planet.

That lasted till the first crappy round earlier this week. Immediately I was thinking, "#%&^! blades. I'm a poser who needs to admit it." So I go to my local mega golf store, see a set of 'almost players' CBs and get about 6 inches from pulling the trigger. It's the seductive lure: clubs will fix what ails you. The big lie, but powerful lie. It's like a leak in a hydraulic system where you can escape responsibility for your crappy swing... The swing's the thing. Then the fever passed. No club would fix the swings I put on the ball the other day. Later at the range, a little shift in setup position and tweak in backswing and - bam - there is was again. Wonderful.

Happy New Year! A toast: to a lot of great golf in 2017! With the shoulder scare, I wasn't sure what my golf future looked like but now it's better than in years, so I'm going to play some tournament golf this year.

Doth protest too much.

Imagine how much fun all those millions of golfers would REALLY be having out on the course if they weren't wrapped up in the "big lie".

Enjoy your GI irons and do note you have a typo in your signature. The clubs you bought are actually Shinigawa. If they do indeed say Shiagawa I'm afraid you bought some fakes ;)

Enjoy your weekend :)

Oh and I'm not looking to troll - I'm just responding to a different POV, I was actually going to post a new purchase for Mahonie and then this post is the first piece of nonsense I see clicking here.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I find the center of the club face every time. I make certain it is there when I pull the club out of the bag and also before I put it back. :cheesy:

Great post, and a warm welcome back to the thread, my blade brother!

This post says it all and is completely supported by the physics. You did good resisting the temptation of "forgiveness". The big lie is that blades hurt your game somehow. But the physics are in complete contradiction to this! There is only TRUTH about your game and swing when you play blades. When you play CBs, the lack of mishit feel, by design the more perimeter weighted you go, the big lie is that it wasn't a swing issue at all. With a blade, you know full well what you did wrong with it. You literally feel it and know it to the bones. Same thing goes when you pure one.

Edit: And player's CBs might as well be a blade. They are basically a CB designed to perform as close to a blade as possible without being one, feeling anything like one, and looking like one.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

I've been hitting a lot more balls than any previous year this winter, working on a swing change, most of the time at one of a couple of heated ranges in the area where you can still hit balls out into the air and see the flight of the ball (unless it's snowing too hard, or certain cloud conditions make it so the ball basically disappears as soon as you hit it off the longer clubs). I'll go to the dome occasionally, but I prefer to see the flight. And holy crap, do you really feel your mis-hits when it's 20 degrees! The heaters help some, but when you bone one, these SOBs let you know it.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Hi Blade Users - I finally found some time to get the VR Pro Blades gripped and ripped last night. I did not have my MP33s on hand to compare but still had a great time with these babies regardless. I had a few shots off the toe but did not loose that much distance. Harshness was about a 6 out of 10 in the Tri-State cold and that rating is without a glove. I ran straight to the range after work lol.

Just like any club, when I caught these in the center the sensation was very fulfilling. Being a mizuno guy, I always gauge my irons on that "butter feel" feedback. These did not quite have that mizuno butter going on but it did feel pure to me anyways. The sensation was different but still in a good way and I'll be keeping these in the arsenal for sure. I'm not the most technical golfer but i can tell you on feel alone these are in my wheel house and these gave me confidence I look for when I step up to the ball. Again, this was my first quick session with these so this post is just initial thoughts. I'll be taking these for a spin again Sunday so I'll keep my onging thoughts in this thread.

Pics below from last night:

IMG_3908_zpsofmq6kct.jpgIMG_3907_zpshszcvvwb.jpgIMG_3906_zps2h4cvuw3.jpg

TSR3|10.0|Tour AD-DI 6S TSi2|14.5|Tensei Blue 7S TSi2|21|HZDUS Smoke 6.0 MP-18 MMC Fli Hi 5i & 6i|KBS C-Taper Lite S MP-18 SC (Mizuno Pro Limited Copper) 6-PW|KBS Tour S Vokey SM7 50.F Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 54.S Slate Blue|Modus 125 Vokey SM7 58.K Slate Blue|Modus 125 Scotty Cameron Tour Brushed Black CARBON Timeless Circle T 350G Pro V1X

Good to see the new blades from callaway popping up on here (other threads)

More traditional looking than their recent offerings for sure.

Will be interesting to see what they look like from address and also how much bounce they have

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

Doth protest too much.

Imagine how much fun all those millions of golfers would REALLY be having out on the course if they weren't wrapped up in the "big lie".

Enjoy your GI irons and do note you have a typo in your signature. The clubs you bought are actually Shinigawa. If they do indeed say Shiagawa I'm afraid you bought some fakes ;)

Oh and I'm not looking to troll - I'm just responding to a different POV, I was actually going to post a new purchase for Mahonie and then this post is the first piece of nonsense I see clicking here.

Haha. Busted yet again with spelling! I think I'll leave it misspelled just to be ornery.

Let me clarify. The 'big lie' is one I have told myself repeatedly. I meant it as an internal thing and not as a general statement about the industry or blades vs GI. This is not my first rodeo... I have gone back and forth between blades and GI repeatedly. Always it goes - buy a blade, get in a funk, buy a CB, get on a roll, buy a blade... What I figured out for me is I score the same, have the same ups and downs, regardless of what I play. The only real difference is if the shaft is too heavy with real low torque or if the sole of the short irons is too wide to chip with. These mess with my mind. Otherwise, scores stay pretty consistent. Swing well, break 80. Swing well and putt well and mid 70's. Swing poorly and curse the gods. My point was changing clubs wasn't going to help - and illustrate even after many years of experience that the seduction of the new club fantasy is still powerful. That's the lie. The truth is, I'm a 9 index. My swing varies. Sometimes it's real solid. Sometimes it sucks. That's golf and a better club won't change it.

But I don't have a dog in the blade vs CG vs GI debate. Golf is a game we play for fun and everyone should do whatever he/she enjoys. My best golf buddy plays to a 3 and plays some old Callaway shovels whose badges are falling off. This is a prominent physician who dreads the day these clubs finally wear out. He routinely thumps me.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Damn fine post. Damn fine :D

In regards to your Shinigawas; photos or it never happened.

Oops. I forgot the rules. The look at address is pretty much perfect.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Doth protest too much.

Not looking to troll, but what is nonsense is thinking CB "technology", based on as presented in the marketing, is actually helping your game. Wide soles increase the chances of hitting the ground before the ball, thinner face walls more randomize the ball spin and ultimately precision and control is (theoretically) worse. This is the "sense" behind the design of a CB. What's nonsense is thinking that there is any amount of tangible benefit to playing one based on science. Psychology is a different story altogether.

Registered Bladeocrat

Went for a little trip with my two newest acquisitions. (three if you count the deuce). Redlines are the most playable blade I've hit. I was hitting draws and fades on command and the height on the 6 iron was something else. Prettiest clubs out there too.

The Tourney MT R58... Really really nice looking club. Not so long, heel to toe. Solid as anything out there and seemed to fly a little further than the Hogans. I think the long irons maybe a little nicer than the Hogans, but I'm gonna leave that for next time.

I've got some problems, but playing CBs ain't one.

Went for a little trip with my two newest acquisitions. (three if you count the deuce).

2 irons are amazing clubs! Good find! Deuce counts double.

I've got 99 problems, but a 'back ain't one!

"...Like what?

One less, one less problem

One less, one less problem

Head in the clouds,

Got no weight on my perimeter

I should be wiser

And realize that I've got (I've got)..."

Sing it, Slicealotta Grande!

Also, sweet blades, Christen. I am partial to the R58s - a no nonsense blade design. Love it.

Registered Bladeocrat

Went for a little trip with my two newest acquisitions. (three if you count the deuce). Redlines are the most playable blade I've hit. I was hitting draws and fades on command and the height on the 6 iron was something else. Prettiest clubs out there too.

The Tourney MT R58... Really really nice looking club. Not so long, heel to toe. Solid as anything out there and seemed to fly a little further than the Hogans. I think the long irons maybe a little nicer than the Hogans, but I'm gonna leave that for next time.

As many Macs as I have seen,owned and messed with I have never seen a set of R-58s Nice looking The Stamping on the sole reminds me of the mid 80s Macgregor Tour Blades--- Those must have been forged overseas or been an export product only

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Guys? .................Serious question in regards to forged chroming these days.

How many rounds do you think that are you getting out of the newer forgings before the chrome is beat off the faces, not counting the wedges.

I am seeing forged sets come into my friends shop that are 3-4 years old, and are worn out in the 6-9 irons.

Depends on where you are at and where you play. Down here in Coastal SC we literally beat the hell out of clubs with the sand and salt air. One course we play is a great course but the fairways are kinda thin and sandy and waste bunkers all over the place reminds you of desert golf. Desert golf is also rough on clubs even if you hit the fairways. It can be rough down here I wore out a set of new MP-33s in about 3 years of course back then I practiced and /or played everyday too

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Doth protest too much.

Duff, you haven't come across a set of Mac MT Pro Ms have you?

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Doth protest too much.

Duff, you haven't come across a set of Mac MT Pro Ms have you?

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8