2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Bigmean when I am not playing blades I mostly play shovels. The contrast is what makes it fun. Yes I pull the eye 2's out from time to time but the g15's are always good to go. I have a bit of a weakness for the old ping irons I must say. Picked up some isi k irons the other day pretty cheap. They are quirky in a 90's scifi sort of way; if you look at them with squinted eyes you can even see the beauty in them :)

This is what I enjoy. Stuff that's fun to play and still works very well when you put a good swing on 'em despite the age.

Oldplayer, how do you get on with the offset difference? I hit some shots with my friend's Big Bertha irons from years ago on the range and although I was striking them nicely, everything was going left and further left with draw spin...my normal shape is generally a fade. I couldn't hit my normal shot shape to save my life and it really messed with my head.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Shafted the mb1 3 iron. Pairs well with the small blade ( blasphemy I know). Just such a good iron too. So glad I found it. Shocking that the mb1 has so much more meat on the lower side compared to the razr mb I had before. THey produce a piercing flight and are uber forgiving. Much like the small blade. Now I only need to settle on a driver and a 3 wood shaft.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm a bit late sharing this. But this past Friday I recorded my first win with the small blade in the bag. Clubs Christmas tournament. I shot a clean round with 2 birdies to finish 2 under and win the stroke play portion.

I've had family staying with us so just haven't had the time to post.

So pumped about the year ahead . My goal for winter is to get into a driver that I feel as good about as my irons and wedges and feel like I am as consistent off the tee. It's obvious that a clean driving round equals par or better for me most days. And that's exciting !

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Oh FFS. KC you're supposed to be one of the good ones :deadhorse:

Haha. "Over the line!"

"Mark it zero Dude."

Classic.

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

So if it isn't thread blasphemy, I am open to suggestions of what a blade player plays when not playing blades? I think the real key is for them to be totally different and not getting what you want in blades in a cb. NR and the ping eye guys or similar in rotation are on to something with this.

I've offered an answer or two, but I'll chime in anyway, trying not to be *too* repetitious. :)

While I've dabbled over the years, for the most part, CBs don't have a lot of appeal to me. For some, it was offset, for some, it was just feel, and so on. I even had trouble going back to my Golden Rams after playing Tommy Armour 986 Tours for a month, they truly have no offset, and may actually be onset. The Rams aren't gifted with a lot, but there's a hint there, and it looked cavernous after the 986 Tours.

The weird, almost dichotomous, exception to this are the Ping ISI. For some reason, they appeal to me, and the offset in them doesn't bother me. Go figure. They also appeal to my inner nerd in a strange way, and Pings are so durable they essentially have a half life, LOL.

I'd decided one day to check out some Pings at the local 2nd Swing. They didn't have any ISI that really fit me, largely due to shafts, so I took a shot at hitting an Eye2+ set. It was the lower spin that really got me; around 1000rpm less on avg with a 6 iron, and as much as 1500 rpm less on some shots. With my having issues with spin with irons, the alarm bells started going off for me, and I walked out with them.

I'm going to give a shot to the 2011 version of TaylorMade's TP MC irons, for largely the same reason. I'd hit a 6 iron in a session, it was also giving me considerably less spin than I see with my blade 5 iron. The difference was less stark (than I'd seen with Eye2+) but still there. I figure, why not give them a shot?

I did eventually score a set of ISI from the BST here, they had DGX100 and were green dot, which is my fit. I felt it was a sign and grabbed them. I play them here and there, and find the SW (S2 at 54.5°) and LW (61°) to be quite playable, but the long irons are a bit squirrelly for me. Which makes no sense, I have no trouble hitting a Golden Ram 1 iron off the deck, an ISI 3 or 4 iron should be no big deal. Could be related to my confidence issue with oversized clubs, I feel like they're too big and I won't be able to get the clubhead on the ball properly. Yeah, another "go figure" moment.

Anyway, there you go. I kind of like Pings, though they are the antithesis of my generally preferred iron, and I kind of like TaylorMades, for no real good reason. <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I am a 1 Handicap First set was Blades never knew the difference until a year of playing golf ( 9years now ) I never Stopped playing blades I Like the Fact I must hit it Some what Pure To get A Good result I Like Not Havig a lotta OffSet I also Feel That If U Strike The Ball Poorly You Shouldent Be Awarded With a 5ft birdie putt, Currently Play Titleist 670 Mbs Switching To Cobra King MBs ( rickie flowers current Gamers )

I am really likening this thread Since I feel like Us Pblade players are kinda like Becoming Extinct

Biggie, I am currently playing my Mac MT Pro-Cs which is perhaps the opposite of what you're suggesting as they are as similar to my MP4s as can be. I think the Mizzys are 1/4 inch shorter in the shaft, but that is about it...same shafts, lofts and lies. The top line and soles are very similar too. The Macs fly slightly higher and feel a fair bit softer than the Mizzys.

Reason I swapped out the Mizzys was that I was going to get them re-shafted with a lighter shaft (XP105 or similar from S300s) and I put the Macs in play so that I could take the Mizzys to the fitting 'cold.' However, my club builder cancelled our appointment and has not re-arranged yet. Thing is I have really enjoyed the Macs after not playing them for quite a while and they have stayed in the bag. Next weekend is our first competition of the year and I am minded to put the Mizzys back in, particularly as I have a proper 'links' weekend at Princes in March and want to take my best game with me.

I did an iron fitting about 7-8 years ago when I got fitted into a set of Ping S58s (which, if it was not for the GD USGA and their stupid groove rule, would probably still be in my bag today), and during that fitting, I hit the Pro C's, and was never so surprised by an iron in my life. It wasn't even on my radar prior to that day, but if it wasn't for the Ping durability advantage (at the time--their finishes have become much less durable since then), I probably would have gone with them. They're an unbelievably great iron that got way less love than they deserved.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

At this point I would like to just state that the mindset being projected here is not that blades are better than cbs, just that even non scratch players can appreciate the blade tradeoffs vs cb tradoffs and not have the score card change....LOL

Now, the thread 100% endorses the fact that japanese irons with gimicky grinds/carvings are in fact better, but that is common knowledge.

I gotta say, with the exception of added hybrid(enter your jokes here) my bag is going to be going on 2 stright seasons of not changing at all. And since I play driver/3wood, the hybrid was literally added to make 14, so nothing was swapped. It is sorta boring, but I know in my heart it is just a waste of effort and money to keep hoing. I am going to try to focus on a cb set that is truly different than my irons, but sets up in a way that I can rotate. i think it will be sorta hard to find this.

So if it isn't thread blasphemy, I am open to suggestions of what a blade player plays when not playing blades? I think the real key is for them to be totally different and not getting what you want in blades in a cb. NR and the ping eye guys or similar in rotation are on to something with this.

so im plundering around in my favorite pro shops back room and in the broom closet i find this... a brand new MB1 3 iron head...complete with tour only stamps... odyssey swirl, smily, stretched stars etc... just thought i would share... bought it for $20.... a tour only ultra rare iron head ... just sitting there...said a callaway staffer had them rebuild and reshaft a set and he didnt use the 3 iron ...

Makes you wonder what the "Trev" means

You know 'im. Trev the golf pro. Good player, but doesn't like a 3 iron. :)

This is quoted for funniness.....awesome.

BM, the JPX 900 Tours are pretty phenomenal. If you're not gaming blades, they're a nice back up set.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

Biggie, I am currently playing my Mac MT Pro-Cs which is perhaps the opposite of what you're suggesting as they are as similar to my MP4s as can be. I think the Mizzys are 1/4 inch shorter in the shaft, but that is about it...same shafts, lofts and lies. The top line and soles are very similar too. The Macs fly slightly higher and feel a fair bit softer than the Mizzys.

Reason I swapped out the Mizzys was that I was going to get them re-shafted with a lighter shaft (XP105 or similar from S300s) and I put the Macs in play so that I could take the Mizzys to the fitting 'cold.' However, my club builder cancelled our appointment and has not re-arranged yet. Thing is I have really enjoyed the Macs after not playing them for quite a while and they have stayed in the bag. Next weekend is our first competition of the year and I am minded to put the Mizzys back in, particularly as I have a proper 'links' weekend at Princes in March and want to take my best game with me.

I did an iron fitting about 7-8 years ago when I got fitted into a set of Ping S58s (which, if it was not for the GD USGA and their stupid groove rule, would probably still be in my bag today), and during that fitting, I hit the Pro C's, and was never so surprised by an iron in my life. It wasn't even on my radar prior to that day, but if it wasn't for the Ping durability advantage (at the time--their finishes have become much less durable since then), I probably would have gone with them. They're an unbelievably great iron that got way less love than they deserved.

That MacGregor MT line from 2008 is IMO the best top to bottom line of clubs ever released by one company. Bobby Grace putters, Don White wedges, Don White/Greg Norman inspired club design, great driver, fairways and hybrids. If I could get a hold of a decent set of the Pro Ms, I would be a very happy golfer!

Radius Classic 8

Bigmean when I am not playing blades I mostly play shovels. The contrast is what makes it fun. Yes I pull the eye 2's out from time to time but the g15's are always good to go. I have a bit of a weakness for the old ping irons I must say. Picked up some isi k irons the other day pretty cheap. They are quirky in a 90's scifi sort of way; if you look at them with squinted eyes you can even see the beauty in them :)

This is what I enjoy. Stuff that's fun to play and still works very well when you put a good swing on 'em despite the age.

Oldplayer, how do you get on with the offset difference? I hit some shots with my friend's Big Bertha irons from years ago on the range and although I was striking them nicely, everything was going left and further left with draw spin...my normal shape is generally a fade. I couldn't hit my normal shot shape to save my life and it really messed with my head.

Yes I can understand that it can be a big issue for some but it does not seem to trouble me much. Rather than offset itself I find that shaft characteristics have more effect on my shot shape. Basically the stiffer or heavier the shaft the more the tendency to fade the ball and visa versa for the softer lighter shafts.

My general/natural shot shape is generally straight with maybe a baby fade with the longer irons. With some irons with offset I do find it easier to draw the ball but apart from the occasional hook that appears it is not a worry. I do often try to draw the ball a bit as I like that more powerfull flight as I play in the wind a lot. I have a compact shorter swing that sort of looks pretty simple my mates say, so perhaps that helps with consistency regardless of the tools used.

That MacGregor MT line from 2008 is IMO the best top to bottom line of clubs ever released by one company. Bobby Grace putters, Don White wedges, Don White/Greg Norman inspired club design, great driver, fairways and hybrids. If I could get a hold of a decent set of the Pro Ms, I would be a very happy golfer!

Those DW wedges were great. I had two sets of them that I burned through--I think one set might actually still be in pretty good shape, especially the 54*. Might have to think about throwing those in the bag if the wedge game goes south.

I think I got them for about $25 per club on clearance, too. Great value!

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Yes I can understand that it can be a big issue for some but it does not seem to trouble me much. Rather than offset itself I find that shaft characteristics have more effect on my shot shape. Basically the stiffer or heavier the shaft the more the tendency to fade the ball and visa versa for the softer lighter shafts.

My general/natural shot shape is generally straight with maybe a baby fade with the longer irons. With some irons with offset I do find it easier to draw the ball but apart from the occasional hook that appears it is not a worry. I do often try to draw the ball a bit as I like that more powerfull flight as I play in the wind a lot. I have a compact shorter swing that sort of looks pretty simple my mates say, so perhaps that helps with consistency regardless of the tools used.

Thinking about it, the clubs I hit had very soft shafts compared to my S300s so that was a likely factor in the 'lefts.' There are a couple of drives at my home course that need a draw. I can manage the ones with a 3-iron, but the couple that need a draw with the Driver are a bit hit and miss. I remember Faldo talking about a 5-wood (I think it was) shot he had to hit in the last round of one of his Open wins where he needed to hold against a left to right wind. He said that he purposely struck the ball 'a smidgen out of the toe' to create the draw shape. This is something that I try with the driver and sometimes it comes off. I'll be practicing that shot over the next few weeks in advance of our annual links trip where that penetrating flight is a must.

Radius Classic 8

Those DW wedges were great. I had two sets of them that I burned through--I think one set might actually still be in pretty good shape, especially the 54*. Might have to think about throwing those in the bag if the wedge game goes south.

I think I got them for about $25 per club on clearance, too. Great value!

I actually ordered some from an online outlet over here only to be told about three weeks later that they had not had any in stock for a couple of months. There are very few of those wedges about in the UK. I did pick up the driver (£70), 3-wood (£40) and hybrid (£30) brand new though and they still make an appearance occasionally ;-)

Radius Classic 8

Do you play in USGA events?

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1425018-ben-hogan-golf-closing-doors/

Word or rumor it that Hogan Golf is OB on their mulligan.

Well I guess that will cure my desire to hit the Ft Worths...

Driver - TM Mini BRNR 11.5, HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5

2i- Ping Blueprint

3i-PW - TM P7MB, KBS Tour X

Wedges - Vokey SM9 (52, 56, 60) all M grinds

Putter - PLD Anser

Ball - Bridgestone BXS

Well today I enjoyed a few hours of golf at Bay Forest Golf Club in La Porte, TX. I played fifteen holes before I lost the light and the ability to hit the ball straight. I'll let you guess which happened first. I made several great shots which kept me going through the maddening arrays of water hazards and felt enough I stayed out of the sand.

After a Texas rain a day or so ago, the course was riddled with casual water. Most of my drives were fading with I think exactly two that just went stupid long and straight. Mind you I am currently serving aboard a ship and had to fit this in during my off time during a port stay which isn't easy.

For my clubs, I selected the following clubs from my signature:

Mini driver at 13°

1&2 irons

3-PW irons

52&58° wedges

Putter

Leaving the Driver and Hybrid on the ship was a tremendously helpful idea. I had no choice but to choose an iron and attempt to make it work. The driving range was closed today so all my golf was essentially a giant practice session with changing scenery.

My practice round was a comedy of errors with a lot of failure to focus. There was a certain unfamiliarity with the clubs and a general tendency to have a tense forced swing which led to nothing great. I eventually realized that I can do wonderful things with a slight pause at the top of the back swing. The caveat being that thou shalt not try to kill the ball after thou hast paused.

Amazing shots of my round:

32' putt sunk after a beautiful pitch...saved bogey...haha...I totally celebrated.

230 yard snaking 3 iron after a topped drive that mitigated disaster.These are looking back, club posed, and looking forward to see what remains of the hole.

280 yard drive that went beautifully center and left me with great opportunities.

250 yard one iron that just screamed straight down the line and rolled forever...the feel and the sound and the sight was all just right. That smashing crack and the blur of the ball coming off the club. Perfect.

Well I have had an interesting adventure where my clubs and I have traveled by sea for a month to get to this point. It was incredible and an amazing opportunity that I will have to followup with some European golf course outings. Even if it is just a driving range session. I sure hope you enjoyed reading about it.

alert ! 4-pw set of Miura small blades with 3 rounds on them and shafted with modus 120 just hit the BST for $1390.... thought i would pass it along

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

alert ! 4-pw set of Miura small blades with 3 rounds on them and shafted with modus 120 just hit the BST for $1390.... thought i would pass it along

Rabbit hole enablers. The whole lot of you. : )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

they didnt last long!

Baby blade auctions/listings never do. I am constantly watching Miura blade set auctions on ebay and the bb ones are the shortest lived and rarest. It is relatively easier to find TBs, mb001s, and Miura-Giken mb500Xs. Bb sets don't go cheap too.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Thank you for the replies ladies and gents.

I appreciate those who continue to document their blade journey without taking pot shots at the golf industry, club designers and golf equipment.

I, like many others, could do without the 'white noise'.

Happy New year.

Happy New Year, too. And I for one appreciate those that can post without taking a pot shot at other posters in this thread. That's just as much 'white noise' as anything.

You've been given your platform. Carry on.

Blade users have the platform is my point. We all should just carry on and post our blades journeys. (And if part of said journey is discovering the technical sham that is "forgiveness", so be it.)

but only post if it aligns with your (the collective) blade religion, or be shouted down from the pulpit. but apparently that's the point of this thread, so i'll politely show myself out.

but feel free to carry on for pages and pages about the theory of golf and how fractions of fractions of face deflection correlate to foregiveness blah blah blah when your swing varies shot to shot by a magnitude of 1000, rather than the actual playing of golf.

enjoy your sandbox gents.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

Adding something to the below...

The most noticeable change I've seen when I play either my Eye2+ or ISI irons is trajectory. Both hit the ball higher than any of my blade sets, and not by a little. The Eye2+ are quite a bit higher, and the ISI are slightly higher yet. Because of the lower spin, I'm largely able to get away with that trajectory with the Eye2+, the ISI might just be a bit too high.

Interestingly, I don't get away with that higher shot with the Eye2+ PW, which comes up short for me, giving me a larger gap from 9 iron to PW. I don't have that problem with the ISI PW, oddly, which can be kind of ridiculous in terms of distance.

Thought that was worth adding....

I've offered an answer or two, but I'll chime in anyway, trying not to be *too* repetitious. :)

While I've dabbled over the years, for the most part, CBs don't have a lot of appeal to me. For some, it was offset, for some, it was just feel, and so on. I even had trouble going back to my Golden Rams after playing Tommy Armour 986 Tours for a month, they truly have no offset, and may actually be onset. The Rams aren't gifted with a lot, but there's a hint there, and it looked cavernous after the 986 Tours.

The weird, almost dichotomous, exception to this are the Ping ISI. For some reason, they appeal to me, and the offset in them doesn't bother me. Go figure. They also appeal to my inner nerd in a strange way, and Pings are so durable they essentially have a half life, LOL.

I'd decided one day to check out some Pings at the local 2nd Swing. They didn't have any ISI that really fit me, largely due to shafts, so I took a shot at hitting an Eye2+ set. It was the lower spin that really got me; around 1000rpm less on avg with a 6 iron, and as much as 1500 rpm less on some shots. With my having issues with spin with irons, the alarm bells started going off for me, and I walked out with them.

I'm going to give a shot to the 2011 version of TaylorMade's TP MC irons, for largely the same reason. I'd hit a 6 iron in a session, it was also giving me considerably less spin than I see with my blade 5 iron. The difference was less stark (than I'd seen with Eye2+) but still there. I figure, why not give them a shot?

I did eventually score a set of ISI from the BST here, they had DGX100 and were green dot, which is my fit. I felt it was a sign and grabbed them. I play them here and there, and find the SW (S2 at 54.5°) and LW (61°) to be quite playable, but the long irons are a bit squirrelly for me. Which makes no sense, I have no trouble hitting a Golden Ram 1 iron off the deck, an ISI 3 or 4 iron should be no big deal. Could be related to my confidence issue with oversized clubs, I feel like they're too big and I won't be able to get the clubhead on the ball properly. Yeah, another "go figure" moment.

Anyway, there you go. I kind of like Pings, though they are the antithesis of my generally preferred iron, and I kind of like TaylorMades, for no real good reason. <shrug>

I have never played in a USGA event, but back in 2013 the Golf Association of Michigan had released a statement on their website that they were going to implement the USGA rule for their competitions in 2014. I play in events that they put on. So, in preparation for the change, I got a set of S56s, had the X100 shafts pulled from my S58s and put into those heads (which proved to be a disaster -- the S56 heads had KBS tours in them, and swapping the shafts resulted in swingweights around E1.). I played those clubs for one year, and went backwards in scoring/GIR/etc. It proved to be a blessing in disguise, because it led me to the world of blades, but I did love those clubs. Early in 2014, I guess they realized what a pain in the a** it was going to be to check everyone's clubs at every qualifier, and decided not to implement the rule. I still don't think they're enforcing it even today. I donated the S58 heads to The First Tee, so there was no option to go back.

I managed to get out on the course again yesterday, and the reshafted Tournament Blade had no further incidents. I do like the feel of it, but I don't think it's going to make the bag. I hit a few shots side-by-side with my 23* driving iron, and the 3i is about 5-10 yards shorter, and the 3i doesn't fit my gaps. I don't want to get into bending it, so I think I'll chalk it up as an experiment that isn't going to work out. If anyone's interested in it (shafted with Modus 120x), let me know. It'll probably be a while before I get around to putting it up on the BST.

I have never played in a USGA event, but back in 2013 the Golf Association of Michigan had released a statement on their website that they were going to implement the USGA rule for their competitions in 2014. I play in events that they put on. So, in preparation for the change, I got a set of S56s, had the X100 shafts pulled from my S58s and put into those heads (which proved to be a disaster -- the S56 heads had KBS tours in them, and swapping the shafts resulted in swingweights around E1.). I played those clubs for one year, and went backwards in scoring/GIR/etc. It proved to be a blessing in disguise, because it led me to the world of blades, but I did love those clubs. Early in 2014, I guess they realized what a pain in the a** it was going to be to check everyone's clubs at every qualifier, and decided not to implement the rule. I still don't think they're enforcing it even today. I donated the S58 heads to The First Tee, so there was no option to go back.

I managed to get out on the course again yesterday, and the reshafted Tournament Blade had no further incidents. I do like the feel of it, but I don't think it's going to make the bag. I hit a few shots side-by-side with my 23* driving iron, and the 3i is about 5-10 yards shorter, and the 3i doesn't fit my gaps. I don't want to get into bending it, so I think I'll chalk it up as an experiment that isn't going to work out. If anyone's interested in it (shafted with Modus 120x), let me know. It'll probably be a while before I get around to putting it up on the BST.

Ah yes, now I remember having asked you this before. Sorry for making you repeat yourself.

Damn aging affecting my memory...

Ah yes, now I remember having asked you this before. Sorry for making you repeat yourself.

Damn aging affecting my memory...

No worries! It's a 314 page thread, so I wouldn't expect anyone to remember anything someone posted going too far back.