2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

No alligator attacks yet.   This time I haven’t been just taking time off, but I have slowly been grinding.  Picked sticks back up earlier this year, only played about 7 rounds but I have been active on my sim.  On Sunday I should have broke 80 legitimately for the first time back but had a bogie on a par 5 that I birdied but was 3 off tee, and back 9 I went 3 doubles, 3 bogies and 3 birdies, which was a first for me.  I also realized I left my 9 and 7 iron at home rather quickly and I hit a lot of various 8 and 6 irons hahahaha.

Really excited about my new driver, I grabbed a rogue LS tp and aside from some miscues I feel I am growing confidence with it.  I have 4 shafts coming from japan to try out with it but I really am surprised from the kai’li that I got with it.   Trajectory was strong on a windy hard day.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bigmean said:

I’m like a cat, plenty of lives left in the tank......

Good to see you, Biggie.  😊

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

What’s up Nr!  It is pretty awesome to see the crew, I’m not going to lie, you all are the best.  When I had to go through hassle of signing back on I saw I think I started this thread almost 10 years ago, HOLY SH#T!

being real, I am forever scarred from getting it down to whatever I had it in like 2016/17 where I was like a 6 and I never would have guessed that unlike riding a bike you can go back.  It is brutal mentally  to shift from believing you locked up where you are and are going next level to all of the sudden not being able to get off tee or break 80.   

Im in a good spot mentally this time around though.  I’m taking baby steps, I’m having fun and going from there.  I have said that before but this time I think unlike  last time I actually not just hit bottom, but came to terms with it.  So I feel like this is different.  Plus I never stopped practicing putting and using my collection for some zen time so even with 2 uncharacteristic 3 putts I had 29 and am keeping putts under 30 even in the 90s rounds (welcome to my game) so if I can just get to the green in less shots at least the final piece is in place haha.

Edited by Bigmean
  • Like 3

On 5/4/2023 at 1:23 AM, PedronNiall said:

Bit of a tangent, but can I get a little feedback about what specific smaller channel brands offer in terms of build quality and which are good to deal with when it comes to issues with builds or any defects?

Thinking about trying Takomo's, which seem to have a good rep so far if not great resale, but never hurts to have insight. I don't think I've seen a single issue with Muiras on here other than tapping a hole in the bank account. Maltby's I only recall seeing positive things about as well. Can't recall any actual customer service issues with New Level, only a bump in price that doesn't really align with the value per se. KZG on the other hand seem to be a nightmare to deal with at almost every level.

Any other insights on DTC/non major OEM blade quality and customer service?

I currently play Takomo 301 CBs with the kbs tour x130, been playing them for about 6 weeks now and still absolutely love em.  they look great and are pretty forgiving for a club with such minimal offset.  I bought them as a second set to try out that was in the player cavity-esque area and after a couple rounds my jpx 921 forged came straight out the bag and havent seen daylight since haha.  as far as customer service i had no issues they are very responsive, my set up was "in stock" and arrived at my door 5 days (to NJ) after ordering.  my only regret (and not even really a true regret) is not being brave enough to try the combo CB/MB set as like i've said i found the CBs to be quite forgiving for the player iron style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bigmean said:

What’s up Nr!  It is pretty awesome to see the crew, I’m not going to lie, you all are the best.  When I had to go through hassle of signing back on I saw I think I started this thread almost 10 years ago, HOLY SH#T!

being real, I am forever scarred from getting it down to whatever I had it in like 2016/17 where I was like a 6 and I never would have guessed that unlike riding a bike you can go back.  It is brutal mentally  to shift from believing you locked up where you are and are going next level to all of the sudden not being able to get off tee or break 80.   

Im in a good spot mentally this time around though.  I’m taking baby steps, I’m having fun and going from there.  I have said that before but this time I think unlike  last time I actually not just hit bottom, but came to terms with it.  So I feel like this is different.  Plus I never stopped practicing putting and using my collection for some zen time so even with 2 uncharacteristic 3 putts I had 29 and am keeping putts under 30 even in the 90s rounds (welcome to my game) so if I can just get to the green in less shots at least the final piece is in place haha.

Best thread on this forum!

• Like 2

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Thanks Craz-e, I biasedly agree!

So here is what I am up too, working on drives in sim, move a driver to a bag in front and behind me, grab other driver, and hit That one on follow through and of course my gamer (Epic forged with trpx shaft) is shattered shaft and dented below hosel.....well, let’s face it, the club was probably the problem as is always the case obviously so god wanted me to Ho for the answer.  

I hit the new paradym triple diamond at pga superstore and loved it until I saw what drivers are now so I did the logical ho thing and spent the same money on 2 drivers and 5 shafts to work out combos that are hopefully I can find a groove with.

I got a used rogue triple diamond LS 9.0 here with a kai’li shaft I put in it off another used callaway to get my wanted weight and profile etc as was the dealbreaker for the sale and Edwin watts didn’t  care.   I got 4 shafts that I should get along with and callaway adaptors and since I had to get the shafts in Japan I grabbed a Jdm epic speed 10.5 for about what I could get it here for but as usual the condition of listed items in Japan always exceeds descriptions and whatever.  

So I have 2 heads and 5 shafts between them and a lot of eBay weights to mess with.  I’m about to go in the garage, but the biggest problem is I really can’t hit more than 30/40 drives without fatigue and back concerns so my plan was to devise a way to have a stat shootout where a winner emerges over the course of as many sessions as takes. 

I don’t have any guesses or expectations, I wouldn’t be shocked if the numbers are all so close I just stop because there is no clear difference or if a few combos separate from the pack a little.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bigmean said:

Thanks Craz-e, I biasedly agree!

So here is what I am up too, working on drives in sim, move a driver to a bag in front and behind me, grab other driver, and hit That one on follow through and of course my gamer (Epic forged with trpx shaft) is shattered shaft and dented below hosel.....well, let’s face it, the club was probably the problem as is always the case obviously so god wanted me to Ho for the answer.  

I hit the new paradym triple diamond at pga superstore and loved it until I saw what drivers are now so I did the logical ho thing and spent the same money on 2 drivers and 5 shafts to work out combos that are hopefully I can find a groove with.

I got a used rogue triple diamond LS 9.0 here with a kai’li shaft I put in it off another used callaway to get my wanted weight and profile etc as was the dealbreaker for the sale and Edwin watts didn’t  care.   I got 4 shafts that I should get along with and callaway adaptors and since I had to get the shafts in Japan I grabbed a Jdm epic speed 10.5 for about what I could get it here for but as usual the condition of listed items in Japan always exceeds descriptions and whatever.  

So I have 2 heads and 5 shafts between them and a lot of eBay weights to mess with.  I’m about to go in the garage, but the biggest problem is I really can’t hit more than 30/40 drives without fatigue and back concerns so my plan was to devise a way to have a stat shootout where a winner emerges over the course of as many sessions as takes. 

I don’t have any guesses or expectations, I wouldn’t be shocked if the numbers are all so close I just stop because there is no clear difference or if a few combos separate from the pack a little.

I currently have a triple diamond, TSR2 and G430 LST that I am currently working through and trying to find the driver for 2023.

The triple diamond is crazy good but still trying to dial it in with the loft sleeve and weight positioning. 

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

19 hours ago, Bigmean said:

Not blade related but here is what Santa-San brought.

Just got an Attas 5 GoGo myself from Japan. Hit some great drives with it, but still testing vs the IZ.

And my wife keeps asking me how many shafts I need.

Edited by Ger21
  • Like 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Aldila RIP Phenom 50 A
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

C’mon No catchy, it may have been a while, but you know when your boy Ho’s, he is only ho-ing real deal JDM!

So check this out, all shafts had callaway adaptors already on, and I averaged about ¥11,000 per shaft.  Of course double shipping and ¥800 per transaction, but for less than a paradigm driver, I got 4 $4-600 retail shafts  and a head….I’m happy with that. Plus with popularity of paradigm driver maybe the duds will turn a ok profit on eBay here.  

I did my initial hits last night, I will post in a bit,  I’m not sure how I can use my swing and 5 shafts and weed out variables but I hit 5 drives with all last night with each, 25 total drives, I deleted 4 where I made a outlier bad contact(switching shafts every 5 drives was a little mental from weight and length even if 1/2” and a few grams, it took a few swings to adjust).  But I basically got whatever swing I had last night very fairly applied to each, and I have to say, I was surprised at the initial outcome……

• Like 1

I honestly haven’t poured over the fine print numbers(launch angle/spin/etc. But here is 5 from each in the rogue LS.

Initial thoughts were the gogo is interesting, the trpx may be a contender, the fire express was clearly worst but clearly felt best, the crazy was straight and surprisingly short and the kai’li is deadish unless cracked but regardless comes off lower spinning and is the winner of last night but it is what I have been hitting to and I also hit it last so I will reverse order next time.  I’m going to do this set of 5s about 5 times or so, then take the data from all sessions to get a “final” conclusion. 

3BE62018-8044-4613-95C0-743F19253135.jpeg

12C89592-EE33-40C0-88F3-A1FD512199D3.jpeg

01B3E86E-9D19-46C9-93B5-FA2F1FAC2DBC.jpeg

5D745C32-8FA1-465C-A2EE-49516D4CC708.jpeg

• Like 3

It is, and I have Attas shafts in them, they are too sweet to use much for me.  I’m pretty sure they only made 247 sets (I also have Shingo driver 358 which they made......358) and I really wanted one.  They are really compact too, good look.  The mp14s look like freaking GI clubs in that photo and those are 1990s blades 😳

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigmean said:

It is, and I have Attas shafts in them, they are too sweet to use much for me.  I’m pretty sure they only made 247 sets (I also have Shingo driver 358 which they made......358) and I really wanted one.  They are really compact too, good look.  The mp14s look like freaking GI clubs in that photo and those are 1990s blades 😳

I almost snagged a set on Yahoo Japan, waited an extra day too long. Might land them someday. A couple years ago they were about, have not seen much of late but then again not always looking.

2 hours ago, Bigmean said:

Nard I will check next time on but on my spree I saw a set at a price that made me question if these were the treasure I thought they were (I still think so).  That was a couple weeks ago, may have sold but it was like $425 no bid 2 days left.  

Wow, that's quite fair.

Edited by Nard_S

4 hours ago, Bigmean said:

Calm down noodle, all I do is talk about driver on here for the last 5/6 years, it’s still my thread haha.  Trust me, no one wants me to stop talking or thinking or obsessing about driver more than me, but I can’t really do that until a 29 putt round doesn’t start with an 8.   Hell I only think blades are awesome Cause I use mine to hit low sweeping hooks and cuts out of the woods to where I can get the ball to places I can then chip to 5ft and one putt.  SGI clubs suck for what I use them for.  Ever try  to hit a 6 iron 17ft in the air straight for 30 yards then hooking for another 110 with a GI iron? It is almost impossible, those clubs have no performance for my game.  I have never actually hit any of mine off the fairway, but you all keep saying how the turf interaction is good so who am I to argue.  

Now it was rather random to come back and bomb driver talk, so to offset my driver posts, here you go.  I have nothing new to show, but may be new to some.  I am itching to build a set so that will happen within the next year and it is going to likely be blades and guaranteed to be some off the wall not steel shafts(no catchy, what is the deal with crime of angel? I almost bought an iron pull set but trying to stay focused).  The copper patina on the onoffs is really looking awesome(pics fail to show), I am going to keep storing them in my closet unused cause that finish really likes that haha. 

0121CFDA-220C-4CF5-A05E-8EDEE40FAB42.jpeg

4EFC878D-45CB-425A-925D-EA8776812049.jpeg

85741C69-5C6E-4A74-9CAD-D7CA2E3D8D64.jpeg

BAC759D1-0339-41FA-A11E-AA16D2982CC4.jpeg

These blades are so sharp... you would need a samurai's proficiency to handle?
Samurai-Cat_No-shadow-sword-attack_AdobeExpress.gif.88df0d36072d47e35c186ff7cd15b1c3.gif

• Like 2

Ok so that last post bought me 3 more driver posts, right?

The biggest problem with my whole plan to find the best setup is that it isn’t as easy as just hit 100 with each and look at numbers and what ones to use or whatever.  

I played a round last night, and it dawned on me that I was doing it all wrong.   So even on sim, you get into your rounds, or I do.  I even pre shot routine sometimes if it is an important or difficult shot.  So across 18 holes, I used 4 different combos with 3 drives each and maybe one had 4.  It was eye opening.   It felt like real on course practice because instead of swinging into dead space for numbers.  You actually are aiming for misses and making slightly different swings to work the ball or guard against a hazard as you would in a round.  This is how I think I am going to weed these out.  The number data is still there anyway, but it is more trial by fire of playing and not free swinging.

Here is where we are at, and if anyone is has numbers similar to mine 

1.  Kai’li is advancing to the Final Cut.  I’m going to stop humoring it until that point. It may be the longest of all and it is not inaccurate.  

2.  The crazy is wayyyyyy better than the initial thought.  It isn’t as long as others but popped one 312(grain of salt for fairway bounces) but generally nailed in round was 285-295 and the feeling this shaft has is probably the best of group.  Didn’t miss a fairway with it.

3.  I don’t get along with this fire express(spin?). Stunned really, I played good golf for years with a fire express in a titleist D2 driver, but is basically going on eBay after two uses.  Feels good, legit 10y avg shorter than the middle of the pack and legit least accurate.   I have no idea why, but this is consistently the worst setup.  Anyone want a deal on it with callaway sleeve?  I highly doubt the shaft is the problem, but it just isn’t working with whatever I am doing. 

4. The TRPX in epic speed 10.5 head was stupid accurate.  Much better in this head than in the rogue (so far) this and the crazy/rogue combos so far look to be most accurate while still delivering solid ok hit distance in the 265-280 range.  This shaft may not leave this club. 

5.  The gogo5.  It is interesting, it can be deep, it can feel really good, it isn’t bad dispersion, But in this kind of shootout it is like well rounded but not jumping out at me yet.  If you got it in a used club and hit it I feel like there is so much to like about it with feel and distance.

I think there is more differences than I expected in the shafts.  I’m closing in on 100 combined drives with them and getting a better handle.  I was swinging a bit better last night, but that is why I am I 

hitting all combos per session to compare what swing I have that day evenly across them.  

I will hold back on sharing how this goes here until I am done with final conclusions.

I just have one question for British expat NCN or my other blade compadre from Canada (whose username is escaping me, sorry man, been a while) living in Japan.  Wtf is up with the grips over there?  I get some of the weirdest grip compounds sometimes, and I have sweaty hands when playing and live in 90% humidity….I am regripping this weekend before I throw the trpx through my screen….

Edit-Christian the sloop!  I remembered, all I could think of was bill Murray washing balls haha. I hope he is still around and well….

Edited by Bigmean
  • Like 3

On 12/23/2022 at 2:03 AM, Kingcat990 said:

Maruman Conductor 302e, Masda Fast Blades. I would imagine the KM model of Miura would have been the forgiving answer to the BB's?

Yo kingcat, have you hit the masdas?  I had to remind myself I am a ways out from ho’ing a set but I have been drawn to this set for a while.  I was just searching the site for them and you in this thread are the best hit so far hahaha

Are they that much bigger than the small blades? That is a turn off to a degree.  Also I cannot confirm what they will feel like, I have read traces that indicate kyoei but I cannot see it in the head shapes, if I knew they would feel like Vegas I would buy a set with zero hesitation.  

8 hours ago, Bigmean said:

Yo kingcat, have you hit the masdas?  I had to remind myself I am a ways out from ho’ing a set but I have been drawn to this set for a while.  I was just searching the site for them and you in this thread are the best hit so far hahaha

Are they that much bigger than the small blades? That is a turn off to a degree.  Also I cannot confirm what they will feel like, I have read traces that indicate kyoei but I cannot see it in the head shapes, if I knew they would feel like Vegas I would buy a set with zero hesitation.  

Yeah I keep the Masdas in the rotation the most. They're a great set. I'm surprised you're drawn to them since you're a Miura guy. The Masdas have a lot of real estate on the toe. Completely opposite of Miuras M.O.

They're larger than the small blades. They are a lot more comparible to the Srixons 9 series in blade length and face height. The only set even in the same realm of those baby blades is the blueprint in regards to size. They don't really feel like any other blade I've tried. They're just firm all around and not clicky. I'd say try them if the price is right. 

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

44 minutes ago, Kingcat990 said:

Yeah I keep the Masdas in the rotation the most. They're a great set. I'm surprised you're drawn to them since you're a Miura guy. The Masdas have a lot of real estate on the toe. Completely opposite of Miuras M.O.

They're larger than the small blades. They are a lot more comparible to the Srixons 9 series in blade length and face height. The only set even in the same realm of those baby blades is the blueprint in regards to size. They don't really feel like any other blade I've tried. They're just firm all around and not clicky. I'd say try them if the price is right. 

‘Are we talking about these?   

https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/p825097169?conversionType=service_page_search

I can can see where the lower toe is fat, but they look compact.

On 5/13/2023 at 1:25 AM, Bigmean said:

Ok so that last post bought me 3 more driver posts, right?

The biggest problem with my whole plan to find the best setup is that it isn’t as easy as just hit 100 with each and look at numbers and what ones to use or whatever.  

I played a round last night, and it dawned on me that I was doing it all wrong.   So even on sim, you get into your rounds, or I do.  I even pre shot routine sometimes if it is an important or difficult shot.  So across 18 holes, I used 4 different combos with 3 drives each and maybe one had 4.  It was eye opening.   It felt like real on course practice because instead of swinging into dead space for numbers.  You actually are aiming for misses and making slightly different swings to work the ball or guard against a hazard as you would in a round.  This is how I think I am going to weed these out.  The number data is still there anyway, but it is more trial by fire of playing and not free swinging.

Here is where we are at, and if anyone is has numbers similar to mine 

1.  Kai’li is advancing to the Final Cut.  I’m going to stop humoring it until that point. It may be the longest of all and it is not inaccurate.  

2.  The crazy is wayyyyyy better than the initial thought.  It isn’t as long as others but popped one 312(grain of salt for fairway bounces) but generally nailed in round was 285-295 and the feeling this shaft has is probably the best of group.  Didn’t miss a fairway with it.

3.  I don’t get along with this fire express(spin?). Stunned really, I played good golf for years with a fire express in a titleist D2 driver, but is basically going on eBay after two uses.  Feels good, legit 10y avg shorter than the middle of the pack and legit least accurate.   I have no idea why, but this is consistently the worst setup.  Anyone want a deal on it with callaway sleeve?  I highly doubt the shaft is the problem, but it just isn’t working with whatever I am doing. 

4. The TRPX in epic speed 10.5 head was stupid accurate.  Much better in this head than in the rogue (so far) this and the crazy/rogue combos so far look to be most accurate while still delivering solid ok hit distance in the 265-280 range.  This shaft may not leave this club. 

5.  The gogo5.  It is interesting, it can be deep, it can feel really good, it isn’t bad dispersion, But in this kind of shootout it is like well rounded but not jumping out at me yet.  If you got it in a used club and hit it I feel like there is so much to like about it with feel and distance.

I think there is more differences than I expected in the shafts.  I’m closing in on 100 combined drives with them and getting a better handle.  I was swinging a bit better last night, but that is why I am I 

hitting all combos per session to compare what swing I have that day evenly across them.  

I will hold back on sharing how this goes here until I am done with final conclusions.

I just have one question for British expat NCN or my other blade compadre from Canada (whose username is escaping me, sorry man, been a while) living in Japan.  Wtf is up with the grips over there?  I get some of the weirdest grip compounds sometimes, and I have sweaty hands when playing and live in 90% humidity….I am regripping this weekend before I throw the trpx through my screen….

Edit-Christian the sloop!  I remembered, all I could think of was bill Murray washing balls haha. I hope he is still around and well….

Thanks @Bigmean for the JDM shaft comparison.

Very interesting to me (so I hope you don’t receive too many “ wrong forum… not blades” criticism/ responses)!

• Like 1