Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Irons and TK Wedges

GolfWRX

[quote name='Sledge Hammer' timestamp='1422118191' post='10809749']
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/user/14708-arafel/"][color="#353535"]Arafel[/color][/url]/bueller, I agree and I understand that some are not enthralled. My very first impression when I saw them on the website was neutral to maybe slightly disappointed. But I remember when I was a kid in the pro shop in the 70s & 80s, I never thought Hogan clubs were the best looking. They always seemed awkward to my eye. Yet most of the best players at our club played them. Fast forward to a couple of years ago, I finally decide I'm going to try a Ben Hogan forged iron. I find a set of Apex PCs on eBay for a great price, probably the last real blade iron, not a muscleback a simple blade on blade. I didn't find them to be that attractive, but as I hit them I really learned to love them. Now I see the simple beauty in the club.

I now see so many of the old Apex Blades in the new Ben Hogan clubs in subtle ways, with a blending of some new tech. More than anything I'm interested to hear how people who have hit them find the feel, because that will be most important for me. Everything else is Blonde or Brunette or Redhead. I want to fall in love with the feel & the heart, in order to do that you have to keep an open mind and really try it yourself.
[/quote]

Sledge, I'm as much of a traditionalist as anyone who loves and plays old Hogan blades on this site. I really think Terry and the gang did an amazing job mixing Hogan tradition with new technology and creativity. Kudos to them for the new irons and wedges! I can't wait to see them in person and hit them. Ben would be proud of his new offspring!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. I didn't come away with this impression actually holding them and taking a few bad swipes with them. Wait to reserve judgment until they're hit. The small (miniscule) cavity will give that guy who fancies himself a player a bit of help and forgiveness. It's not a Big Bertha. It will not save a bad shot that I could readily attest to. But it felt solid and great of the one I got in the air. The sweet spot in my humble opinion is about the size of a quarter, probably smaller than that.

New technology does not mean that they should be the hardest iron to hit. Because let's be honest, if they are, they won't sell. Even guys like a few that helped design them that I got to talk to in Orlando, want some forgiveness. I golfed with one of them the day before. He uses baby blades and said they irons as designed will have those who are a solid single digit or better pretty happy.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I like the loft stamping and the overall look what I do miss is more specifications on the heads at their website. They list loft (obviosly), bounce and lie but I really want to know the offset. Can't really understand why manufactors keeps listing the lie since it is so easy to change compared to offset. Has anyone seen any offset numbers?

Huge mistake to make a beautiful classic club and then choose to put loft numbers on the sole instead of traditional club numbers. If I'm standing in the fairway, I'm thinking 5 or 6, not 27 or 31. If you are going to make a classic club, keep it classic all over. I really like the looks otherwise, but the loft numbers alone ruin the club for me.

[i]The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind. -Bob Dylan[/i]
[i]Everything is dust in the wind. -Kansas[/i]

[quote name='Buddyroo' timestamp='1422198487' post='10814471']
Huge mistake to make a beautiful classic club and then choose to put loft numbers on the sole instead of traditional club numbers. If I'm standing in the fairway, I'm thinking 5 or 6, not 27 or 31. If you are going to make a classic club, keep it classic all over. I really like the looks otherwise, but the loft numbers alone ruin the club for me.
[/quote]

I wonder if they'll consider stamping numbers in lieu of lofts for a price?

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

[/quote]

How long do you think it would take for you to figure out how far you hit your 27 or 31?

[quote name='ibradley' timestamp='1422199824' post='10814561']
[/quote]

How long do you think it would take for you to figure out how far you hit your 27 or 31?
[/quote]

I agree. I've always used older clubs with traditional lofts, so my 5 iron is most peoples 6 or maybe 7 iron. In order to understand what clubs I would want I would need to select by loft anyways. I always saw Ben Hogan clubs to have innovation & this is an innovation that puts an end to all the useless marketing talk about hitting your irons 15yds. longer each year. Seems to me those are the people who would be most upset by not having a number stamped on their club. Anytime you get new sticks you need to spend some time finding out how far you hit each one, so now it's "I hit the club marked "40" 150yds." rather than "I hit the club marked "8" 150yds" Sorry I don't see the difference really.

For competitive players there would be an advantage. Scenario; Two players in a match on the tee of a long Par 3. The match is close, the wind is swirling. Player #1 discusses with his caddie, pulls club & steps to the tee. Player #2 says to caddie "What's he hitting?", caddie looks in Player #1's bag to see what's missing. "???" "Looks like the club between 24 & 31. so maybe 27." Player #1 asks caddie "Which of mine is that?" Caddie shoots Player #1 a nasty look "How the He&& should I know?". ;)

[/quote]

I don't know if I'd say that it ruins them for me but I tend to agree. They should have had the numbers on the sole. I wouldn't want to be thinking, "now a 27 degree is a five so no, I better hit my 31 which is my 6 iron". I've got enough stuff in my head when I'm playing without that background noise.

I don't see that lofts vs numbers would be all that difficult. My bag is set up with an area that carries my 4, 5 & 6 another that is 7, 8 & 9 and then a place for wedges. If I saw 24, 27 & 30 it would be pretty easy for my minds eye to see 24 (lowest number) = 4 iron and 190 yards. Or I'm 180 that's a 5 or the middle loft in that slot. Can't be that hard. Certainly a lot easier than remembering internet passwords.

I am very interested in these irons and it will be a curious experience to get fitted and pick my numbers. Frankly, I think it would be best to start at one end of the bag, 190 yards being my longest iron, put tape over all the lofts and begin hitting. Find a 190 club, 180 club, ....150 club...and ignore the loft designations. Pull the tape off and those would be the right clubs for me and not what Mizzy, Cally or Tyalormade think an 8 iron (150 club) should be.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1422250351' post='10818797']
Loft numbers are not exactly calculus, guys.
[/quote]

You're right! Calculus is much easier.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/"]http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1006275-rbhan12s-witb-m10-damascus-twins-added/[/url]

At someone who was on the range during 2015 PGA Demo Day and also at the show I have to say in person these are nothing special...

It used to be that a Hogan irons always LOOKED like a Hogan Iron. Even when they came out with the CFT irons with the large undercut or the Apex plus ( All TopFlite years ) they really looked like classic Hogan clubs.

These just look like Scor clubs... Just happen to to have the name Hogan on them.

The sole shape, rounded top line, leading edge to hosel transition all scream Scor golf, NOT Hogan...

the whole loft concept is honestly cool but as when it comes to looks they're nowhere near what a hogan club should look like other than the slight muscle on muscle design.

Good first try but a fail in my opinion... They really should have hired an outside guy to look at it from a different perspective and ad some input rather then use the brand name to support what is actually a whole different design philosophy.

[quote name='tobybear' timestamp='1422297045' post='10821463']
At someone who was on the range during 2015 PGA Demo Day and also at the show I have to say in person these are nothing special...

It used to be that a Hogan irons always LOOKED like a Hogan Iron. Even when they came out with the CFT irons with the large undercut or the Apex plus ( All TopFlite years ) they really looked like classic Hogan clubs.

These just look like Scor clubs... Just happen to to have the name Hogan on them.

The sole shape, rounded top line, leading edge to hosel transition all scream Scor golf, NOT Hogan...

the whole loft concept is honestly cool but as when it comes to looks they're nowhere near what a hogan club should look like other than the slight muscle on muscle design.

Good first try but a fail in my opinion... They really should have hired an outside guy to look at it from a different perspective and ad some input rather then use the brand name to support what is actually a whole different design philosophy.
[/quote]The leading edge to hosel transition is the biggest thing to me, you either get that right or you don't, Hogan always looked unique here, the clubs really framed the ball and pointed the club in the right direction.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[/quote]

Did you hit them or just look at them? Are they a fail in terms of appearance or of performance as well?

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

[quote name='Hakko' timestamp='1422299569' post='10821807']

[/quote]

Did you hit them or just look at them? Are they a fail in terms of appearance or of performance as well?
[/quote]
I didn't get that impression at all. I was there as well, and while they have hints of SCOR, they compared old Hogan irons to what they came up with. And they hit pretty well, demo wise. Shaft selection will be key based on what you're fit into.

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[/quote]

[/quote]
What about all the guys who say they love them but haven't hit them? Are they allowed to form an opinion?

[quote name='Oldplayer' timestamp='1422331180' post='10825467']

[/quote]

[/quote]
What about all the guys who say they love them but haven't hit them? Are they allowed to form an opinion?
[/quote]

People can have any opinion they choose. I'm asking tobybear for the basis of his. He was at the PGA Demo Day, so he, unlike the vast majority of those in the Hogan club threads, may actually have had the chance to apply club face to ball. In his post it is unclear whether this indeed occurred.

Cobra F8+ Diamana Blue S
Taylormade M1 15º, 19° Matrix Black Tie S
Royal Collection BBD VS, Shimada S 4-P
Axis1 Tour, 35"
Ben Hogan 51º
Anthem 56°
Miura 59°

[quote name='Hakko' timestamp='1422363846' post='10826709']
[quote name='Oldplayer' timestamp='1422331180' post='10825467']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

People can have any opinion they choose. I'm asking tobybear for the basis of his. He was at the PGA Demo Day, so he, unlike the vast majority of those in the Hogan club threads, may actually have had the chance to apply club face to ball. In his post it is unclear whether this indeed occurred.
[/quote]

[color=#282828]To answer what others asked, yes I did hit them at the PGA Show demo day and the irons felt very nice, and considering that it was still a bit dewy since I was at their booth quite early and the ground was soft, they glided through the grass and ground very well, which is something that is very important to me in an iron set. I'm pretty sure I hit something in the 27* range with a regular flex shaft. ( yep regular flex ) [/color]

[color=#282828]Again to reference the design aspect of the club, the sole is quite similar to what Srixon is offering with their Tour VT sole now. ( no arguing about what is better just a comparison ) so again their are clearly merits to the design philosophy that was built into the new Hogan irons. Also the fact that they are forged shows a commitment to a process that the original Hogan company always stood by. [/color]

[color=#282828]I'm just one guy on the internet, and just one opinion. I always believe that functionality should be rated above looks... Hell I played a NIKE toe SWEEP last year, it looks weird and ugly but after a bit of work on a grinding belt ( something I pride myself in doing quite well as a career club builder ) it became just perfect ( for me ) but still very ugly to look at.. [/color]

[color=#282828]I wish the new Hogan company nothing but the best, I honestly do. Its just that for me I will choose to use something else for the time being.[/color]

[color=#282828]All the best [/color]

tobybear, thanks for your impartial comments about both how you think the club looks & how you found it to perform. I haven't seen them myself, but find any pictures & the description of the design appealing. However, to hear from someone that doesn't really care for the looks, that the performance is quite solid, to me is insightful.

Best of luck with your season.

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1422116406' post='10809587']
The more I look at them the less I like them.
[/quote]I guess to each his own. Terry Koehler and his staff took on a real challenge in bringing back Hogan. I give them credit for working to maintain the Hogan profile while integrating some GI features. If the $149 per club includes personally fitting for lie, length, and swingweight it is not a bad deal - Really interested to see how the HOGANFIT process works. Hard to tell from pictures. Clubs I own look different when subject to the camera. Looking forward to seeing the new Hogans in person. Again, kudos to Koehler for taking on this task. I'm glad someone brought them back, and I believe these folks will do everything they can to make sure they do things with integrity and precision.

[quote name='westPA golfer' timestamp='1422391179' post='10829917']
[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1422116406' post='10809587']
The more I look at them the less I like them.
[/quote]I guess to each his own. Terry Koehler and his staff took on a real challenge in bringing back Hogan. I give them credit for working to maintain the Hogan profile while integrating some GI features. If the $149 per club includes personally fitting for lie, length, and swingweight it is not a bad deal - Really interested to see how the HOGANFIT process works. Hard to tell from pictures. Clubs I own look different when subject to the camera. Looking forward to seeing the new Hogans in person. Again, kudos to Koehler for taking on this task. I'm glad someone brought them back, and I believe these folks will do everything they can to make sure they do things with integrity and precision.
[/quote]

West, well stated!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

• 2 weeks later...

1. Ok - I've looked at the pics and they look comparative to the Hogan clubs we are all used to seeing.
2. I can live with the lofts on the heads and would get used to them but would have to test them to get the proper spacing between each iron and the wedges.
3. What I don't know is what one can do with the lies...?
4. Nor do I know what one can do with the swing weights...?
5. Length can be worked out, and I'd be inclined to stick with a 38 inch 5 iron.
6. The clubs would need to be fit with an appropriate steel shaft. I'm not sure if the ones that are being offered would be suitable - but I would give them a try.
7. The less offset the better, as I can steer the ball when needed and I have found that irons with too much offset are hard to work the ball.
8. I could see the potential benefits in the new hogans - but the club fitting session would take some time to get it right.
9. Whether I get a set of these or not - I'll give them a thumbs up...! :good:

[quote name='square' timestamp='1424101224' post='10963269']
Head sizes are too big, clunky.
[/quote]
Have you seen these up close and personal? Hit them?

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1422257443' post='10819037']
[quote name='dmblanch' timestamp='1422250351' post='10818797']
Loft numbers are not exactly calculus, guys.
[/quote]

You're right! Calculus is much easier.
[/quote]I disagree.

Reading numbers is something someone can do pre-kindergarten. At that, golf has been around longer than calculus... soo......

--kC
(Is it too late to have Roman Numerals instead of club numbers? How about roman numeral lofts?)

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

I really like almost everything about the wedges..... except that rounded leading edge! If that was straight I would be all about those wedges from the cosmetic standpoint. But I will probably not be willing to shell out the coin those wedges will demand, but I can always dream.

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube