Why I play with vintage clubs!

> @memphishorn said:

> This past Fathers Day when I played this set, a guy that works in our Pro Shop told me he bet I couldn’t break 90 with those sticks. Shot 78 from White Tees (6000 yards)

Ha Ha that is the way to do it take his money. Most of these guys around here have learned me and will not bet me---- My favorite one was a few years back at a local executive course. I had my Armour 3800s with pyratone shafts in the bag along with a persimmon Penna driver. I think I also had a Ironmaster putter in the bag. Anyhow I was pared up with two strangers who were I think out of towners but pleasant folks. I shot them a line of BS about they were my Grandfather's clubs and I was seeing if I liked golf or not. I shot 2 over that day. One of the guys went in the club house and said something about me on the lines of "if he had some new sticks he could really play". The guy inside knew me well and let the cat out of the bag. This was around 04 or so and I had shot the course record of -8 the month before with my front line set which were a set of 80 VIPs which I wore slap out. The 80s I play now is the second set which were given to me by a great fellow WRXer Mitchell and he conspired with my old buddy Forged Forever. Those were pristine and the Brunswick shafts were getting a little too much for me so I put the Hogan Apex shafts in them

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

@"BIG STU" don't forget that conspiracy? included another Carolinas member- @bladehunter who was the source of those blades ?

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

> @Mitchell said:

> @"BIG STU" don't forget that conspiracy? included another Carolinas member- @bladehunter who was the source of those blades ?

No need for accolades my way. I was pleased as punch that those Macs went to the Mac man Stu! Lol. I brought those home simply because they were free and my gut told me to save them .... I kept then several years until the right guy came along. Glad you love them !

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @Mitchell said:

> > @"BIG STU" don't forget that conspiracy? included another Carolinas member- @bladehunter who was the source of those blades ?

>

> No need for accolades my way. I was pleased as punch that those Macs went to the Mac man Stu! Lol. I brought those home simply because they were free and my gut told me to save them .... I kept then several years until the right guy came along. Glad you love them !

HA Ha never knew my man Blade was a co conspirator too. Funny how things come together--- My mistake of putting the #2 Apex in them was good--- I found a set of funky Directors in the bin and got them for the shafts. Actually the Directors hit smooth with them---- Did not know the #2 was a senior flex until Augie told me. I had done put them together and hit them when he told me that. I told him tongue in cheek I did not care if they were ladies shafts as smooth as those Macs hit.

> @"BIG STU" said:

> > @bladehunter said:

> > > @Mitchell said:

> > > @"BIG STU" don't forget that conspiracy? included another Carolinas member- @bladehunter who was the source of those blades ?

> >

> > No need for accolades my way. I was pleased as punch that those Macs went to the Mac man Stu! Lol. I brought those home simply because they were free and my gut told me to save them .... I kept then several years until the right guy came along. Glad you love them !

>

> HA Ha never knew my man Blade was a co conspirator too. Funny how things come together--- My mistake of putting the #2 Apex in them was good--- I found a set of funky Directors in the bin and got them for the shafts. Actually the Directors hit smooth with them---- Did not know the #2 was a senior flex until Augie told me. I had done put them together and hit them when he told me that. I told him tongue in cheek I did not care if they were ladies shafts as smooth as those Macs hit.

Awesome my man ! So glad you love them. Yep. I was in on that and all for it when Mitchell mentioned he knew of a good home. Those irons should be played , not languishing in somebodies closet. Lol.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

> @bladehunter said:

> > @"BIG STU" said:

> > > @bladehunter said:

> > > > @Mitchell said:

> > > > @"BIG STU" don't forget that conspiracy? included another Carolinas member- @bladehunter who was the source of those blades ?

> > >

> > > No need for accolades my way. I was pleased as punch that those Macs went to the Mac man Stu! Lol. I brought those home simply because they were free and my gut told me to save them .... I kept then several years until the right guy came along. Glad you love them !

> >

> > HA Ha never knew my man Blade was a co conspirator too. Funny how things come together--- My mistake of putting the #2 Apex in them was good--- I found a set of funky Directors in the bin and got them for the shafts. Actually the Directors hit smooth with them---- Did not know the #2 was a senior flex until Augie told me. I had done put them together and hit them when he told me that. I told him tongue in cheek I did not care if they were ladies shafts as smooth as those Macs hit.

>

> Awesome my man ! So glad you love them. Yep. I was in on that and all for it when Mitchell mentioned he knew of a good home. Those irons should be played , not languishing in somebodies closet. Lol.

Trust me they get played even though I stray from time to time. Some folks do not understand me. My buddy Bear who is a club ho and used to play vintage stuff has strayed. He has a set of PXGs and then turned around and got fit for a set of G-410s. Funny thing Saturday we played in a scramble. Now where he hit a 7 iron I was hitting my old 5 iron but what was funny was the fact I was putting the 5 closer than his 7. It does not bother me one bit what someone else hits. Someone asked me one time why I did not carry a gap wedge? what do I need a gap wedge for when my standard PW is 48* ? I know my distances with the Macs and know how to shape my shots. Main thing now is that with the #2 Apex shafts they do not hurt my back.

• Like 1

My younger brother who is just starting to play golf signed himself and I up in a small part 3 two man league. Even though he knew I was having surgery a week after it begins. Anyways I played did manage to play 3 weeks in the 8 week season due to some rainouts. I'm no great golfer, but I hit my irons (Hogan blades) pretty well.

I got to play a round with the 2 time league champ duo, on the first tee my face had to be red listening to the late 50's guy, self proclaimed "ringer" tell me all about his 1 handicap and the rounds he played that morning and days prior. He was swinging 2019 Callaways. Not much was said after the 3rd tee and the Hogan's were closer for the 3rd time.

There was nothing more satisfying than watching him throw his clubs the last 2 holes because I was putting for birdie and he was in the rough. I beat him and his partner, but my brother had a terrible round and we lost the match. Still makes me smile as I picture their faces at the end.

> @pahogan said:

> My younger brother who is just starting to play golf signed himself and I up in a small part 3 two man league. Even though he knew I was having surgery a week after it begins. Anyways I played did manage to play 3 weeks in the 8 week season due to some rainouts. I'm no great golfer, but I hit my irons (Hogan blades) pretty well.

>

> I got to play a round with the 2 time league champ duo, on the first tee my face had to be red listening to the late 50's guy, self proclaimed "ringer" tell me all about his 1 handicap and the rounds he played that morning and days prior. He was swinging 2019 Callaways. Not much was said after the 3rd tee and the Hogan's were closer for the 3rd time.

>

> There was nothing more satisfying than watching him throw his clubs the last 2 holes because I was putting for birdie and he was in the rough. I beat him and his partner, but my brother had a terrible round and we lost the match. Still makes me smile as I picture their faces at the end.

Doesn't it make the heart proud when you do that? Take older blades and hit it better and closer than those with the latest and greatest. LOL you basically held your own with "outdated antique irons". Trust me I hear it all the time. I have came up with the thought in general of what guys like us on this thread do----- "If I have to explain you will not understand"---- My other general thought is I do my thing and others do their's.

I love getting the "imagine what you'd score with modern irons" spiel.

Having played persimmon for the most part this year, I can honestly say that the difference is nowhere near as great as people think.

And if I'm hitting the driver well, the difference is pretty much nothing.

Plus, I generally enjoy myself more playing the old stuff.

• Like 2

> @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> I love getting the "imagine what you'd score with modern irons" spiel.

> Having played persimmon for the most part this year, I can honestly say that the difference is nowhere near as great as people think.

> And if I'm hitting the driver well, the difference is pretty much nothing.

> Plus, I generally enjoy myself more playing the old stuff.

That's where I like to point out how playing persimmons actually seem to help my game. I'm already playing blades, so it's only the persimmons vs metal woods that are the difference between my vintage play and modern play. Three months with persimmons in 2008 and my handicap dropped from 11 to 8. Every time I spend an extended amount of time with them in the bag, my scores tend to come down, even if only a bit. My longest, non-cart-path-aided, drive of the last four seasons is with a Ping laminate with KT-M shaft.

It may finally be seeping in, I'm mentally closer to playing persimmons or laminates full time. I only need to work on dampening my inner tinkerer.

Interestingly.... was having a chat with my cousin, who has played one nine hole round this year and has played maybe three times in the last four or five years. We were chatting about it, he talked about how he doesn't hit driver well at all, just can't seem to do anything with it. And he brought up playing with the older stuff, saying how he'd like to see a handful of events on the PGA Tour, requiring old school equipment. He was open to the idea of playing a couple times with some real wood next season. I have a couple clubs that might work well for him. :)

edited to add: I had grand plans to play quite a few rounds with persimmon driver/3w, 1-SW blades, an 8813 and my stash of Maxfli Elites or my last sleeve of HT-100s. Disappointed in myself that I didn't do such a thing. I played a few rounds with Eye2 woods, a couple with Ram persimmons, and two or three holes with an HT that was in my bag with my modern setup. Never quite put it all together. Disappointing.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @No_Catchy_Nickname said:

> > I love getting the "imagine what you'd score with modern irons" spiel.

> > Having played persimmon for the most part this year, I can honestly say that the difference is nowhere near as great as people think.

> > And if I'm hitting the driver well, the difference is pretty much nothing.

> > Plus, I generally enjoy myself more playing the old stuff.

>

>

> That's where I like to point out how playing persimmons actually seem to help my game. I'm already playing blades, so it's only the persimmons vs metal woods that are the difference between my vintage play and modern play. Three months with persimmons in 2008 and my handicap dropped from 11 to 8. Every time I spend an extended amount of time with them in the bag, my scores tend to come down, even if only a bit. My longest, non-cart-path-aided, drive of the last four seasons is with a Ping laminate with KT-M shaft.

>

> It may finally be seeping in, I'm mentally closer to playing persimmons or laminates full time. I only need to work on dampening my inner tinkerer.

>

> Interestingly.... was having a chat with my cousin, who has played one nine hole round this year and has played maybe three times in the last four or five years. We were chatting about it, he talked about how he doesn't hit driver well at all, just can't seem to do anything with it. And he brought up playing with the older stuff, saying how he'd like to see a handful of events on the PGA Tour, requiring old school equipment. He was open to the idea of playing a couple times with some real wood next season. I have a couple clubs that might work well for him. :)

>

>

> edited to add: I had grand plans to play quite a few rounds with persimmon driver/3w, 1-SW blades, an 8813 and my stash of Maxfli Elites or my last sleeve of HT-100s. Disappointed in myself that I didn't do such a thing. I played a few rounds with Eye2 woods, a couple with Ram persimmons, and two or three holes with an HT that was in my bag with my modern setup. Never quite put it all together. Disappointing.

I think we've chatted a little bit about this before. I'm moving playing more persimmon, though over the winter I'll be playing the modern stuff (persimmon in the cold months is a bit of a slog, especially with a knackered back).

While a mishit persimmon tee shot does not go as far as a mishit with a modern club, it usually stays in play. In fact, in one of my 9-hole rounds just before I did my back in, I shot a 2-over par 38 by mostly hitting a steel-shafted persimmon 3-wood off the tee on five of the seven par 4 & par 5 holes. Not every strike was perfect, but they were all in play, and all reasonably well down the fairway.

As for the irons, well you know that you and I are the same on that front. Not much difference between playing 1980 Tour Grinds or 2011(?) FG-62s. In fact, my FG-J8s from the early 80s are probably the easiest irons to use from those in my wee collection.

I will say this, though. If I'm playing a course over 6,500 yards, the old persimmon is tough. Fun, but tough.

• Like 1

> I will say this, though. If I'm playing a course over 6,500 yards, the old persimmon is tough. Fun, but tough.

>

>

There is much truth to that. Particularly at my present age of 56, with questionable knee and back. Aging. Yay. LOL

My course is par 71, 6500 from blue (back) tees, 6100 from white tees. Even with that shorter length, there is a 431 yd par 4 which fortunately runs from west to east; the prevailing winds are such that it's rarely an upwind hole. 430 yds into the wind is bad enough at my age, but with the lumber, a mediocre swing can leave you with a great deal to do. :)

I did play my course this year from the back tees with persimmon a couple times this past year, found it not much different. It actually opens up a couple holes for driver tee shots that would otherwise see me pulling a shorter club. As my group has gotten older, with few under age 45, we've largely moved forward to the white tees, with outings played from longer tees being less and less frequent.

I still find the idea interesting, though. It can be entertaining to pull longer clubs on some holes. Maybe I'm just a masochist?

I'm a golfer. It goes without saying. :)

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

> @NRJyzr said:

> > I will say this, though. If I'm playing a course over 6,500 yards, the old persimmon is tough. Fun, but tough.

> >

> >

>

> There is much truth to that. Particularly at my present age of 56, with questionable knee and back. Aging. Yay. LOL

>

> My course is par 71, 6500 from blue (back) tees, 6100 from white tees. Even with that shorter length, there is a 431 yd par 4 which fortunately runs from west to east; the prevailing winds are such that it's rarely an upwind hole. 430 yds into the wind is bad enough at my age, but with the lumber, a mediocre swing can leave you with a great deal to do. :)

>

> I did play my course this year from the back tees with persimmon a couple times this past year, found it not much different. It actually opens up a couple holes for driver tee shots that would otherwise see me pulling a shorter club. As my group has gotten older, with few under age 45, we've largely moved forward to the white tees, with outings played from longer tees being less and less frequent.

>

> I still find the idea interesting, though. It can be entertaining to pull longer clubs on some holes. Maybe I'm just a ****?

>

> I'm a golfer. It goes without saying. :)

I'll echo a lot of that.

Also, playing persimmon with those 400+ par 4s is actually a lot more fun, because you stand on the tee KNOWING you need to hit a good tee shot. Not just blast the ball with your frying-pan-on-a-stick, but really hit one from the screws. Otherwise, you're looking at nailing a fairway wood or long iron then still pitching on and trying to save par.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I kind of enjoy that type of golf.

• Like 1

I am like you guys I enjoy playing the persimmon. And at this stage I have discovered I am straighter with the persimmon. For some reason I get a lot of roll with persimmon and do not lose that much distance versus modern. Now around here you have to pick what courses to play persimmon on. Like Catchy if it is under 6500 yards I am ok. Now a course like TPC near me it is a bear with the moderns much less persimmon even from the senior tees. Far as blade irons that is no problem because as SOP for me I play my Machogans most of the time. But when I play my persimmons I ain't after a score anyhow.

> Having played persimmon for the most part this year, I can honestly say that the difference is nowhere near as great as people think.

It's all about the driver and the woods, isn't it? A flushed persimmon and a flushed stick+toaster go about the same distance right? So if the driver is misfiring, that's the only real point of difference. If the driver is on, then you're basically business as usual. A 70's blade is pretty much the same as an 80's blade as a today blade (though people will argue it ad nauseum on here...) If you hit close enough to the middle of the face often enough it doesn't really matter. It comes down to the driver, and although the tour thread about distance says equipment hasn't made driving easier, jesus it has. My most recent persimmon round I shot in the 90's on a 6500 yard course mostly because some of my drives were of the 50-100 yard variety and put me in awful places. (And I had a sand wedge playing at 34", which made bunker play exciting). But my point is that modern vs old irons are what they are, it's the modern woods that make the difference.

> @"James the Hogan Fan" said:

> > I love getting the "imagine what you'd score with modern irons" spiel.

> > Having played persimmon for the most part this year, I can honestly say that the difference is nowhere near as great as people think.

> > And if I'm hitting the driver well, the difference is pretty much nothing.

> > Plus, I generally enjoy myself more playing the old stuff.

>

> It's all about the driver and the woods, isn't it? A flushed persimmon and a flushed stick+toaster go about the same distance right? So if the driver is misfiring, that's the only real point of difference. If the driver is on, then you're basically business as usual. A 70's blade is pretty much the same as an 80's blade as a today blade (though people will argue it ad nauseum on here...) If you hit close enough to the middle of the face often enough it doesn't really matter. It comes down to the driver, and although the tour thread about distance says equipment hasn't made driving easier, jesus it has. My most recent persimmon round I shot in the 90's on a 6500 yard course mostly because some of my drives were of the 50-100 yard variety and put me in awful places. (And I had a sand wedge playing at 34", which made bunker play exciting). But my point is that modern vs old irons are what they are, it's the modern woods that make the difference.

Pretty much, yes. I can swing my modern driver harder because it really is more forgiving, so flushed strikes do go a bit further than flushed persimmon strikes, but it's still pretty close.

As you said, the driver is the major difference. If I'm not hitting the persimmon driver well, then I'm looking at bogey golf, because it's very hard to consistently make a GiR from 180~220 yards every time.

Back in the day, golf magazines and pros would always recommend hitting a 3w off the first tee instead of driver, because driver was the hardest club in the bag to hit.

Now it's the easiest. Tee the ball up high, and swing away. With the driver heads as big as they are, it's not hard to make decent contact and get the ball in the air.

Any distance I’m giving up with the persimmons is offset by the accuracy Ive gained. My scores have come down in the last 18 months since I began to play strictly persimmon woods which coincidentally was when I joined a club so I have been practicing more. So I guess practicing will make you better than new clubs, go figure. ?

And thankfully I haven’t heard “imagine what you’d score with modern clubs” . I actually heard the opposite. After a lesson with the pro (my only lesson in my life given to me for my birthday by my lovely wife) he said “I don’t want to change too many things with your swing. If you can hit those butter knives (1958 Wilson Dynapowered’s) like that, I don’t want to mess with your swing too much”. I validated my decision to play vintage clubs and I have way more fun and am not chasing after the latest and greatest.

• Like 1

Well, with the weather forecast, it looks like I got my last round for handicap posting in for this year. Played at noon today and it was a really nice day in the low 60's with a breezy south wind. Decided to hit the range before playing and took several vintage sets with me. I took my Hogan Redlines (88-89). I also have a 1-3-5 persimmon to match them. I think that's the last year that Hogan made persimmon. Also took with me my Palmer Standard Irons from the mid to late 80's, Also took along a set of 1960ish Spalding Persimmon's 1-2-3-4 that a friend recently passed along to me. A fellow member was hitting next to me and he was amazed I could hit the ball as well I as I was hitting it. I let him hit a few with them. He said he was scared he would break the woods...lol. I still struggle with getting a persimmon driver up in the air enough for it to carry like I would want it to. But man do they roll a lot when they hit the ground. I wish I could find a ball that spins like balata. I'm sure that would help. But whenever I play them, I usually end up hitting more 3 woods than drivers because they go about the same distance.

So anyway, after hitting them so well on the range, I got confident and decided to play them during the round. I kept my Taylormade M1 driver but then went with the 3and 5 Hogans along with a laminated Cobra Baffler 7 for woods. For the irons, I took along the Palmers. What can I say, I'm just a Palmer guy. I actually was hitting them better than the Redlines on the range, so they got the nod. Kept my Cleveland 588 wedges in the bag. Long story short, my 7 handicap will stay a 7 until spring because I got it around in a smooth 79. I hadn't played in a couple weeks so I thought that was a pretty good round for wet dormant fairways and the wind we had today. Only hit a few poor iron shots all day. Several nice wedges to recover when I needed it and the Baffler bailed me out after a couple rough drives. Made one birdie and one double bogey. Kept it in front of me and out of trouble for the most part all day.

I'll play more rounds this winter as weather permits, but I probably got more satisfaction out of the round today than any round all year.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

> @Bigarch said:

> I wish I could find a ball that spins like balata. I'm sure that would help.

Ball that seems to spin the most is the Kirkland Signature 3 piece ball. Couldn't hurt to try them.

> @NRJyzr said:

> > @Bigarch said:

> > I wish I could find a ball that spins like balata. I'm sure that would help.

>

> Ball that seems to spin the most is the Kirkland Signature 3 piece ball. Couldn't hurt to try them.

Really? Good to know. Like Bigarch, I find it difficult to get the modern balls up in the air enough with a persimmon driver, so I'm always on the lookout for a ball that spins a bit more.

• Like 1

> > @NRJyzr said:

> > > @Bigarch said:

> > > I wish I could find a ball that spins like balata. I'm sure that would help.

> >

> > Ball that seems to spin the most is the Kirkland Signature 3 piece ball. Couldn't hurt to try them.

>

> Really? Good to know. Like Bigarch, I find it difficult to get the modern balls up in the air enough with a persimmon driver, so I'm always on the lookout for a ball that spins a bit more.

I've always hit a high ball, and mostly fought spin. But, I seem to be spinning the ball less these days, especially off the tee, so I may also give these a shot. If anything, i could use my 9* Ram TW802 driver with them. ;)

The small bit of info I have on the KSig 3 pc ball is that its compression is roughly the same as the Snell MTB Black. Which is a few pts firmer than the Srixon ZStar, but not as much as the ZStar XV. 338 dimples.

• 2 weeks later...

As I re read mine and other posts on this topic I thought I would expand on my simpler time of life comment. As a 14 year old I began to play in earnest in 1968 with a used set of Haig Ultras. Man I was terrible but my Dad kept taking me out and eventually got some good instruction and went from the 100’s straight to the 80’s. Life as a high school kid in the late 60’s early 70’s was much simpler by today’s fast paced high tech standards.

As I am now 65 I have greater appreciation to that time in my life and while I can’t ( nor really want to) go back to those days it helps take me back to good feelings of those times.

Today not only do I appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship of vintage golf clubs, I listen mostly to 60’s/ early 70’s music (vinyl of course)on vintage stereo gear. When I play the vintage clubs I feel like I have to be more focused and respectful of the clubs if I want to play well and I appreciate a sub 80 round even more.

Recently I found a black staff bag very similar to one my dad bought me in 1969 so I couldn’t help myself. Man that old black Corfam bag was the prettiest thing and used to just stare at it and my clubs!

However, it is nice to have today’s technology so I can wax nostalgic to this group of civilized golfers ?

9NETVMQ2OZV6.jpeg

VZGEM8J45X6P.jpeg

• Like 2

Titleist TS2 9.5* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Graphite 
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

@No_Catchy_Nickname. File in the FWIW department. Bought a box of the 3-piece Ksigs this year, when like you, saw a pallet of them at the local Costco. For $25 for a couple doz, why not. They were not that bad, despite all the negativity directed at them (not being equal to the OG 4-piece) in the ball thread. Mid range firmness, seem to realize acceptable distance compared with branded balls. Seem to hold the green on approach shots half way decently. There primary use was on tight driving holes, second shots that are problematic (i.e. over water), when I do not want to lose one of my primo balls. Yeah, I switch balls anytime, anywhere, if I want to. As I'm just playing just for the fun of it. And it's not so much fun losing one of my brand new primos.
Really like Snell MTB Blacks. One of my balls of choice for a couple of years now. Perform very similar to the Wilson FG Tours, also a preferred ball (when I find them on the cheap). Mid-range compression. If you read Dean Snell's comments on the subject, compression is overrated. I'm sorta done with low compression balls like the various Duos. Don't particularly like how they feel in hot weather, or how they feel when putting. Realize very good relative distance, they spin and check better than other balls I've tried. And a tolerable price point ($32 per doz. here) for a "better" ball. I'm not much of a ball snob, as I'm not good enough to notice nuance between various balls. Can't speak to the X, never tried one. But I did try the MTB Red, which is the predecessor to the X if I remember correctly. Preferred the Black. Spin is in for me. Especially at my slower swing speeds.
One last point. I don't want to use different balls as I switch between the modern and classic bags. Liking the feel of a bit of firmness off of persimmon. The Snells (similar to the FG's) perform well when I actually hit one "on the screws" occasionally. And yes, I have Ksigs in the classic bag as well for those testy shots. Did I mention they're cheap?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Good information there, thanks, Fellaheen.

The K-sigs are a bit more expensive here, but still cheaper than the Snells. Like you, I am drifting away from the low compression balls because I don't like the feel. Sounds Like I should give the MTB Blacks a go. I picked one up on the course once (it was just OB, so a lost ball), and I really liked it. Based on that, I bought a box of Reds, which I didn't like quite as much.

Man that is one nice bag and nice head covers to match---- Adds to the class the Macs already had--- Of course I will let you in on a little secret biased of course Mac blades look good in any bag---- Yep you and I think a lot alike on classic clubs reminding us of better days gone by. A lot of times I find something or someone posts something and it reminds me of some of the guys that played at the course my old man ran or some of the equipment he actually sold in the pro shop

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I was in the mood today for some nostalgia, so I loaded up the old clubs....

HWTARIGYTT46.jpg

I had a little shiver of fear as I pulled into the parking lot, thinking that I might regret the decision after just a few holes, but after a few range balls, I felt better. I just needed to remind myself to hit a club or two more.

I played well with them (again!), but could sure use some good persimmon fairway woods. The shaft on the 4-wood I have is too soft so it goes too far left when I try to swing at a normal speed. I just can't hit the 2 or 3-iron very well from the fairway any more at my age. The course was backed up and I quit after 9 holes. I was playing by myself on a course with nothing but (bad) foursomes and I needed to do some things anyway, but I managed to shoot 2 under for nine holes, missing one fairway and two greens, but got up and down easily. Some decent fairway woods would sure help getting home or closer to the green on par fives.

So, played by myself and didn't mind the solitude, and I was reminded again how fun it is to play with old sticks.

• Like 2

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

That's a sharp looking bag of bats, Soloman

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

As usual I agree with Arch there---- Love that Macgregor driver (of course I would) but have never seen a 90th edition in the flesh. Funny thing you mentioned the course must have been full of hacks more than likely playing all the "latest and greatest" and you more than likely beat the tar out of them with "old and outdated equipment" Gotta Love it!!!!

Seeing Solomon's post reminds me of how I didn't play my classic woods as much as I'd intended this past season.

It's a no go for at least three months now, too. Ugh.