2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

South Denver Golf

TheKrushh

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1439612960' post='12141112']
Played Riverdale Dunes and Green Valley Ranch on Wednesday.

The natural vegetation at Dunes is brutal, if you hit it in there, very little chance of finding it. Is it normally that thick?
[/quote]

Yes but this year is really bad due to all the rain.

[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1439692732' post='12145796']

The natural vegetation at Dunes is brutal, if you hit it in there, very little chance of finding it. Is it normally that thick?
[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought that was probably the case. We were talking about native vegetation, it's why we like Wildhorse in Gothenburg, NE so much. You can usually find your ball and most times at least hack it out to the fairway. But I haven't been there in a while, it might be extra thick thus year too.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1439696335' post='12146098']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I thought that was probably the case. We were talking about native vegetation, it's why we like Wildhorse in Gothenburg, NE so much. You can usually find your ball and most times at least hack it out to the fairway. But I haven't been there in a while, it might be extra thick thus year too.
[/quote]

Played Widlhorse last week. They windrowed and baled the wooga between several of the holes, was easy to find balls there. Greens had winterkilled but were back to perfect conditions. Love that course!

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1439727229' post='12146976']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1439696335' post='12146098']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Played Widlhorse last week. They windrowed and baled the wooga between several of the holes, was easy to find balls there. Greens had winterkilled but were back to perfect conditions. Love that course!
[/quote]

Things like that are part of what makes Wildhorse so special. It's still penalizing hitting into the "wooga" (what a great word!), but at least you can find it and advance it. Has to be one of the best values in the country. I haven't been there in a couple of years since we always go south to Denver now instead of east, but it's probably worth a special trip.

[/quote]

Played there for the first time on Friday and thought the same thing. Pretty sure I could've dropped a ball in a few spots and not been able to find it.

[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1439818114' post='12153788']

[/quote]

Played there for the first time on Friday and thought the same thing. Pretty sure I could've dropped a ball in a few spots and not been able to find it.
[/quote]

It was amazing how a ball could just trickle in there......and completely dissapear. You basically had to step on a ball to find one.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Correct. There are spots that are thinner than others but others that are just crazy thick. The rain and this time of the season keep it really long. The course is forgiving enough where it doesn't come into play unless you are really offline but that doesn't stop me from finding it every single time I play!

Played 9 at Collindale in Fort Collins on Saturday and 18 at Eagle Trace in Broomfield on Sunday. Didn't play particularly well either day...must have known that my handicap revision came out and I dropped 0.8 points!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1439823784' post='12154348']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Correct. There are spots that are thinner than others but others that are just crazy thick. The rain and this time of the season keep it really long. The course is forgiving enough where it doesn't come into play unless you are really offline but that doesn't stop me from finding it every single time I play!

Played 9 at Collindale in Fort Collins on Saturday and 18 at Eagle Trace in Broomfield on Sunday. Didn't play particularly well either day...must have known that my handicap revision came out and I dropped 0.8 points!
[/quote]

We played Collingdale on Tuesday afternoon. Behind a high school tryout, wow. No one in the threesome could have broken 100, but at least they took numerous practice swings and spent plenty of time talking instead of hitting. The lady inside, when she told us before we went out, said their coachs were out there with them. Supposedly they were supposed to keep them moving, but it just looked like the coachs were playing. But we didn't have anywhere to be so just tried to relax and enjoy the day (which is hard for me), we played the tips. Tough from back there.

And I didn't lose a ball at Riverdale Dunes (or Green Valley Ranch that afternoon), so that was a success. Played that one stupid ball for over six full rounds, then lose it yesterday at home on hole #18 in a spot that it should have been easy to find.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1439824449' post='12154422']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

We played Collingdale on Tuesday afternoon. Behind a high school tryout, wow. No one in the threesome could have broken 100, but at least they took numerous practice swings and spent plenty of time talking instead of hitting. The lady inside, when she told us before we went out, said their coachs were out there with them. Supposedly they were supposed to keep them moving, but it just looked like the coachs were playing. But we didn't have anywhere to be so just tried to relax and enjoy the day (which is hard for me), we played the tips. Tough from back there.

And I didn't lose a ball at Riverdale Dunes (or Green Valley Ranch that afternoon), so that was a success. Played that one stupid ball for over six full rounds, then lose it yesterday at home on hole #18 in a spot that it should have been easy to find.
[/quote]

I can commiserate there - played Saturday at Fox Hollow as the first group following a scramble. There were four groups lined up on the 4th tee when we pulled up. Played the front nine in 3:30 before bailing. I've never seen anything like it.

[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1439912788' post='12161636']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I can commiserate there - played Saturday at Fox Hollow as the first group following a scramble. There were four groups lined up on the 4th tee when we pulled up. Played the front nine in 3:30 before bailing. I've never seen anything like it.
[/quote]

Wow 3:30 for 9 - that's about my limit for 18 holes. Absolutely unacceptable. Would have walked off as well. That's why I play at 6-6:30am so I never have to worry about anyone in front of me!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1439912788' post='12161636']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats terrible. Did they at least tell you when you went out that you were following a scramble?

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1439913353' post='12161700']
Wow 3:30 for 9 - that's about my limit for 18 holes. Absolutely unacceptable. Would have walked off as well. That's why I play at 6-6:30am so I never have to worry about anyone in front of me!
[/quote]

Normally I am with you - first tee time on a weekday. But my brother was in town so we were playing 36 holes Friday and 36 more Saturday. I never realized how busy Denver-area courses are on the weekends! But the other 4 rounds we played in 4 hours max, which was unexpected - hardly waited at all, even with a full tee sheet.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1439914065' post='12161772']

Thats terrible. Did they at least tell you when you went out that you were following a scramble?
[/quote]

Unfortunately, no, didn't realize it until we ran into the logjam. Course basically said there was nothing they could do about it, and several groups behind us left before they even got to the turn. I understand scrambles can slow things down, but to be on pace for a 7 hr round? To be fair, they did give us rain checks for a full 18. And the views from the 9 we played (Canyon) were fantastic, so there is that. I will be sure to go back in the morning next time though.

[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1439932734' post='12164392']
[/quote]

Unfortunately, no, didn't realize it until we ran into the logjam. Course basically said there was nothing they could do about it, and several groups behind us left before they even got to the turn. I understand scrambles can slow things down, but to be on pace for a 7 hr round? To be fair, they did give us rain checks for a full 18. And the views from the 9 we played (Canyon) were fantastic, so there is that. I will be sure to go back in the morning next time though.
[/quote]

Thats good. At least they made it right for you. Both of our 18 hole rounds last Tuesday (Riverdale Dunes and Green Valley Ranch), my twosome got paired up. Dunes was a little slow because of quite a bit of time looking for balls in the gunch, but we still finished in just over four, and it looked like it was fairly busy. GVR I think we finished just under four.

My wife badly wants to move to Denver. I think I'll get a job where I work weekends so I can play my golf during the week.

My golf league is looking for more players to fill in some spots for Red Hawk Ridge on Saturday, August 29. Many of the regulars have other commitments that day, so attendance is low.

http://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/17

Guest fee includes:[list]
[*]Golf
[*]Cart
[*]Range balls (I think, 90% sure it does)
[*]Contribution towards low gross, low net, and closest-to-the-pin prize monies
[/list]
Low gross pays only top place overall; low net pays top 2 per flight (given the low attendance, it will probably just be one flight); usually distributed in pro shop credit. If you win low gross, you are not eligible for low net prizes. There are additional cash games ($10-20 total), which are announced the day of.

Need to know very soon. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to PM me* or send an e-mail (located at the bottom-right of the FRGC website).

* - Disclaimer: I have no vested interest in the club except that I'm a member.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1439933003' post='12164424']
My golf league is looking for more players to fill in some spots for Red Hawk Ridge on Saturday, August 29. Many of the regulars have other commitments that day, so attendance is low.

[url="http://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/17"]http://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/17[/url]

[*]Golf
[*]Cart
[/list]
Low gross pays only top place overall; low net pays top 2 per flight (given the low attendance, it will probably just be one flight); usually distributed in pro shop credit. If you win low gross, you are not eligible for low net prizes. There are additional cash games ($10-20 total), which are announced the day of.

Need to know very soon. If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to PM me* or send an e-mail (located at the bottom-right of the FRGC website).

[/quote]

Busy, otherwise I'd love to help!

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1439933003' post='12164424']

[url="http://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/17"]http://www.frgclub.com/?q=node/17[/url]

[*]Golf
[*]Cart
[/list]

[/quote]

How late can we decide? What time will be the tee times?

[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1439948516' post='12166346']
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure, but probably by Thursday night. If we can't get enough players, then they'll have to cancel the tournament, which I imagine they would have to do at least a week in advance.

Right now, we don't even have two foursomes, so tee times will be 11am and the one after that.

[quote name='masamitsu' timestamp='1439993702' post='12168820']
I'd love to play but our club championship is that weekend.
[/quote]

Same. Saturday and Sunday is Wellshire CC. Hope my wrists finally heal from my adventure at Commonground a few weeks back. The native is thick and long out there, and even with the huge fws, I was in it quite often on our first day out there.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1439954944' post='12166984']
[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1439948516' post='12166346']
[/quote]

I'm not 100% sure, but probably by Thursday night. If we can't get enough players, then they'll have to cancel the tournament, which I imagine they would have to do at least a week in advance.

Right now, we don't even have two foursomes, so tee times will be 11am and the one after that.
[/quote]

I'm out. I have a fantasy draft at 2...was just informed.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1439932984' post='12164418']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats good. At least they made it right for you. Both of our 18 hole rounds last Tuesday (Riverdale Dunes and Green Valley Ranch), my twosome got paired up. Dunes was a little slow because of quite a bit of time looking for balls in the gunch, but we still finished in just over four, and it looked like it was fairly busy. GVR I think we finished just under four.

My wife badly wants to move to Denver. I think I'll get a job where I work weekends so I can play my golf during the week.
[/quote]

Weekdays are not that much better...early morning will always be your best best or late afternoons. Denver or most of Colorado for that matter is a great place to live. Having a lot of beautiful courses is big bonus too.

[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1440094808' post='12177504']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1439932984' post='12164418']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Weekdays are not that much better...early morning will always be your best best or late afternoons. Denver or most of Colorado for that matter is a great place to live. Having a lot of beautiful courses is big bonus too.
[/quote]

I'm there so much sometimes it seems like I already do.

NFL season is nigh. No way am I going to sit through another season of Jay Cry-tler under center. Starting in October after my golf league is done, I'm going to try to get out at least every other Sunday during the games to play. I will probably stick to the less expensive, walkable courses like South Suburban, Wellshire, and Deer Creek.

Tied for 4th in my club champ at Wellshire, with a total of 9 strokes over on 17 and 18 each day...ugh! Finish the round!!!

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1441384441' post='12263404']
NFL season is nigh. No way am I going to sit through another season of Jay Cry-tler under center. Starting in October after my golf league is done, I'm going to try to get out at least every other Sunday during the games to play. I will probably stick to the less expensive, walkable courses like South Suburban, Wellshire, and Deer Creek.
[/quote]

As a Packers fan, this is hilarious. If you want to get away from the atrocity that is Bears football, let me know. I'd be happy to meet up and not think about losing Jordy for the year.