2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

South Denver Golf

TheKrushh

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1433778816' post='11711150']
[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433776843' post='11710942']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1433776332' post='11710870']
[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1433766289' post='11709986']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1433719069' post='11707704']
Played Riverdale dunes this morning at 6:30am. Didn't wait on a single shot and walked 18 in just about 4 hours.
[/quote]

This is the key to a quick round in the area, get off early before all the hacks, boozers (guys that are golfing to drink, which is fine, but play horrible), etc. I pretty much have the first tee time locked up on the weekends where I play. First round we are done in under 4 hours, if I go out to play 36, I know I am in for a 4:30 to 5:00 hour round.
[/quote]

I almost never tee off after 6:30am. And you are 100% right - anyone that shows up that early for golf on a Saturday or Sunday is probably pretty serious about the game. You are almost never waiting. Plus, you have the entire day ahead of you.

Sounds like we need to pair up!
[/quote]

My group and I are pretty serious about our game, but 6:30 on a weekend simply isn't something we would consider. I just am not a morning person and that would not be enjoyable to me. We teed off at 11 yesterday at Wellshire and played 18 in just under 4.5 hours. If I teed off at 6:30, I would need a 2-3 hour nap after the round before I could do anything else, or I would be going to bed by like 7pm...just not a morning person and never have been.
[/quote]

My guess is you don't have kids (or maybe you do and you are out of the woods, I don't know your age!). I have a 8-month old. I was up at 4:15am on Saturday and 5am on Sunday. A 6:30am tee time is like sleeping in for me. And besides, I love golf first thing in the morning.
[/quote]

33 no kids yet...so things will change once kiddos come into play I am sure. But right now, anything before 9 am and I am not fully there or awake.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433781153' post='11711426']
[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1433779818' post='11711264']
When I was younger, I was having the best round while drinking...until the 14th hole where I became officially hammered lol. I don't mind having a couple beers on the course here and there, particularly if I'm having a bad round and need to loosen up, but I rarely if ever go overboard. I'm too competitive with myself and want to play my best.
[/quote]

Beers on the course are not for everyone, but they relax me....and it takes a lot before I've had enough affect my golf game. I used to get the first tee jitters when I was younger, or get nervous over an important putt. But even stone cold sober doesn't happen much anymore...even just a couple years ago golf was getting to be too competitive for me.....when things went bad I wouldn't be able to enjoy myself and I would just lose it. Now I just have a good time out there no matter what....have plenty of good rounds and plenty of bad ones. Just finally found a way to have more fun, alcohol or not. Only took me 25 years of playing to figure that out!!
[/quote]

I'm almost there! I still get frustrated from time to time, but it doesn't ruin a round for me anymore. And there's always the 19th hole to look forward to. Even a bad round beats working or doing chores!

Cobra LTDx LS - Oban Kiyoshi HB-65
Cobra F8 4w - Tour AD IZ-7s
Cobra 4h - SmacWrap 780 ES x
Cobra Forged Tec Black - AMT x100
Titleist Vokey 50/54/58 SM9
Edel E-1

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1433777345' post='11710996']
On a side note, for those of you who played this weekend, did you get eaten alive by mosquitos? I felt like I was back in Michigan....eventually we secured some bug spray, but it was too late at that point.
[/quote]

The starter at South Suburban was nice enough to have a can of bug spray for the golfers. Didn't help very much. The worst is when you're wearing shorts, get in your stance, and you see 5-10 mosquitoes swarming around your legs. Definitely caused me to rush shots I wasn't ready for.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Played Riverdale dunes this morning at 6:30am. Didn't wait on a single shot and walked 18 in just about 4 hours.
[/quote]

This is the key to a quick round in the area, get off early before all the hacks, boozers (guys that are golfing to drink, which is fine, but play horrible), etc. I pretty much have the first tee time locked up on the weekends where I play. First round we are done in under 4 hours, if I go out to play 36, I know I am in for a 4:30 to 5:00 hour round.
[/quote]

I almost never tee off after 6:30am. And you are 100% right - anyone that shows up that early for golf on a Saturday or Sunday is probably pretty serious about the game. You are almost never waiting. Plus, you have the entire day ahead of you.

[/quote]

My group and I are pretty serious about our game, but 6:30 on a weekend simply isn't something we would consider. I just am not a morning person and that would not be enjoyable to me. We teed off at 11 yesterday at Wellshire and played 18 in just under 4.5 hours. If I teed off at 6:30, I would need a 2-3 hour nap after the round before I could do anything else, or I would be going to bed by like 7pm...just not a morning person and never have been.
[/quote]

4.5 hour rounds are just something I won't consider. That is just outrageous unless I am playing Pebble or something long the lines. Watching people mark a foot long putt while everyone else putts out is crazy when they are double digits. Jesus we aren't playing for million dollar purses, we are all amateurs here, just give it to them. I just don't have time for that.

Believe me getting done in 3:30 or 4:00 (at most) is great and doing it at 6:30 or 7:00 gives you the rest of the day. I can go to the pool in the the afternoon, do chores around the house, etc. My day just isn't golf! Teeing off at 11:00 and playing a 4:30 round kills your day. It is hard to get anything started before that or doing something after that is difficult. This is one of the main reason's why golf is losing is popularity, the pace of play and the time to play have got out of hand.

4.5hr round isn't all that bad, all things considered. Isn't the average pace supposedly 4:20? An extra 10 minutes doesn't seem extreme. Once they start creeping to 4:45+ is when I start to get cranky.

And super early tee times are tough for me. I like to get to the course 45-60min early to warm up and just relax. I don't want to feel rushed to get off the first tee. I understand you're argument of having the rest of the day though.

Edel E-1

[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1433882414' post='11720846']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

4.5 hour rounds are just something I won't consider. That is just outrageous unless I am playing Pebble or something long the lines. Watching people mark a foot long putt while everyone else putts out is crazy when they are double digits. Jesus we aren't playing for million dollar purses, we are all amateurs here, just give it to them. I just don't have time for that.

Believe me getting done in 3:30 or 4:00 (at most) is great and doing it at 6:30 or 7:00 gives you the rest of the day. I can go to the pool in the the afternoon, do chores around the house, etc. My day just isn't golf! Teeing off at 11:00 and playing a 4:30 round kills your day. It is hard to get anything started before that or doing something after that is difficult. This is one of the main reason's why golf is losing is popularity, the pace of play and the time to play have got out of hand.
[/quote]

4.5 hours is not bad at all in my opinion. If people are saying that is too long or too much then golf may not be their best option for activity. Either that or spend the premium to join a club and get your 3 to 4 hour rounds no problem, but saying 4.5 hours is out of hand and driving people away from the game is a bit much. If 4.5 hour rounds were the norm, no one would complain about pace of play. It's the 5 to 6 hour rounds I hear about with 6 people in one group that is messing up the industry. If you don't have time for a 4.5 hour 18 hole round I would have to say you don't have time for 18 holes, period. Play 9 I guess?

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. You can take your TIME and play in 4 hours or less when you play that early in the morning and you still have the entire day in front of you. Carpe diem!

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433884652' post='11721094']
4.5 hours is not bad at all in my opinion. If people are saying that is too long or too much then golf may not be their best option for activity. Either that or spend the premium to join a club and get your 3 to 4 hour rounds no problem, but saying 4.5 hours is out of hand and driving people away from the game is a bit much. If 4.5 hour rounds were the norm, no one would complain about pace of play. It's the 5 to 6 hour rounds I hear about with 6 people in one group that is messing up the industry. If you don't have time for a 4.5 hour 18 hole round I would have to say you don't have time for 18 holes, period. Play 9 I guess?
[/quote]

4.5 is my absolute max. Anything more than that is just too slow - if you are waiting on any shot whatsoever you are going to be at 4 easily. 5-6? I'd walk off the course. 6 hours...I'm not even sure what someone would be doing that caused them to take that long to play.

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1433886968' post='11721352']

[/quote]

Couldn't agree more. You can take your TIME and play in 4 hours or less when you play that early in the morning and you still have the entire day in front of you. Carpe diem!

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1433884652' post='11721094']
[/quote]

4.5 is my absolute max. Anything more than that is just too slow - if you are waiting on any shot whatsoever you are going to be at 4 easily. 5-6? I'd walk off the course. 6 hours...I'm not even sure what someone would be doing that caused them to take that long to play.
[/quote]

Agreed, I do not have time for 4.5+ hours. I will just leave, I can play on the weekend (where I play) and be one of the first groups off or I can play after work and get 18 before dark (sometimes just have to play the front 9 twice). If I play the front 9 and it takes close to 3 hours or I am waiting every shot I will ask for a refund, I have never been told no.

Also, a good idea is try to get the first tee time after a tournament, as soon as the tournament is over it is clear sailing.

I've played as early as 7:00am and as late as 3:09pm this season so far. I generally play better If I tee off after 10am. Afternoon rounds can save you quite a bit of money but are hit or miss as to how slow they can be. I really don't understand why people are so slow....I played with some of my buddies who are complete hacks and we kept pace no problem. That being said, the greed of the golf course and the chase after the almighty dollar are almost always the single biggest factor. sub 10 minute tee times need to be gone. 12 would be better, 15 would be ideal.

I would love a course that gave you one warning, and then said you're done if you got slow again...no refund. Not everyone would play there, but I bet it would still attract a lot of golfers like WRXers

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

One of my coworkers that I play with drives me nuts. He's a good guy but spends so much time looking for balls and taking mulligans that our rounds quickly get behind. He prides himself on finding additional balls every round and it makes me want to pull my hair out at times. My other coworker doesn't get that you can get ready while someone else is hitting their ball. Oftentimes, he waits for one person to hit before driving to his ball. Fortunately he rides alone most of the time since I walk so it helps keep the pace a bit.

Edel E-1

[quote name='thaar' timestamp='1434052630' post='11733828']One of my coworkers that I play with drives me nuts. He's a good guy but spends so much time looking for balls and taking mulligans that our rounds quickly get behind. He prides himself on finding additional balls every round and it makes me want to pull my hair out at times. My other coworker doesn't get that you can get ready while someone else is hitting their ball. Oftentimes, he waits for one person to hit before driving to his ball. Fortunately he rides alone most of the time since I walk so it helps keep the pace a bit.[/quote]

Sounds like you need someone 'random' to play a round with you and politely tell them to hurry the f up :)

Titleist 910 D3, 9.5 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 15 Kai'li A1
Titleist 718 3 Iron
Titleist 712 AP1, 4-9
Odyssey ProType #9
Titleist SM7F, 48.10
Titleist SM6F, 52.08
Titleist SM6S, 56.10
Titleist SM4, 60.07

Haha, I tried not to let it bother me since one is transferring locations, so my rounds with these guys has pretty much come to a close thankfully!

Edel E-1

This weather is awful. I'm hoping to get to the range this afternoon after work but good lawd, rain needs to stop!

Yes it is getting old....I have lived here 18 years now and I can't remember ever having this much rain....afternoon storms sure, but constant rain all the time?

I'm actually taking this weekend off from golf (blasphemy I know) but I have a golf trip in 2 weeks and don't want to get burnt out.

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=1] [/size][/font]

Wellshire just canceled our tourney for tomorrow already. They wont allow carts so due to the 5-10 old men that must take a cart, the whole thing gets canceled. There are 24 hours for the course to dry some more, and the course could let the very few people that need carts take them and the rest will have to walk...not sure why they are so prematurely cancelling this thing...pretty annoyed right now.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1434127058' post='11739250']
Yes it is getting old....I have lived here 18 years now and I can't remember ever having this much rain....afternoon storms sure, but constant rain all the time?
[/quote]

That was the best thing when I moved to Colorado 15-ish years ago: you could set your watch to a 3pm thunderstorm. Go inside, then come back outside 20 minutes later to sunshine and dry pavement.

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1434134845' post='11740126']
[/quote]

That was the best thing when I moved to Colorado 15-ish years ago: you could set your watch to a 3pm thunderstorm. Go inside, then come back outside 20 minutes later to sunshine and dry pavement.
[/quote]

Not to mention it would cool everything off. I realize we tend to live in a box but the rain is a problem nationwide, lol.

[quote name='irvtrain' timestamp='1434168479' post='11743082']
[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1434134845' post='11740126']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Not to mention it would cool everything off. I realize we tend to live in a box but the rain is a problem nationwide, lol.
[/quote]

Tell California that!

I do not know about you guys, but I played both Saturday and Sunday and the course was almost like a sponge. Half the shots from the fairway were almost unhitable and/or got no roll all weekend and if you end up in the rough it is like US Open rough as they can't get the mowers on it. I am ready for some warmth to dry these courses out.

Heading out to South Suburban today at 2:30 to play with my boss and a couple coworkers. I have been putting very well lately, so hopefully that will translate to these crazy greens. I have played the par 3 out there, which also has very undulating greens so I have an idea, but I am still really excited to see how the greens on the big course will play.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='seven dewey' timestamp='1434556594' post='11769118']
Hopefully you do better than my last round there. Despite the greens it's a fun course, have fun and good luck!
[/quote]

South Suburban is in great shape! Greens are insane for sure. Took me the front 9 to get the hang of them. 5 doubles, all from 3 putts. 46-40. Had it even on the back for the first 4 then had another double. I want another shot at it soon. It's the kind of course that is really tough on the greens but you want to go back to conquer it. Too bad I wont be golfing until next week or maybe even next weekend.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

Good god, 5 3-putts for you on the front would mean 9 for me lol. I have always enjoyed that course for sure. I need to get out there again soon.

Edel E-1

I haven't played that course in years. A good course but sometimes I feel the greens are unfair. There are a few holes that if you didn't hold it, you were going off the green.

Playing gvr today. Anybody out there by chance?

Titleist 910 D3, 9.5 Kai'li A1
Titleist 910 F, 15 Kai'li A1
Titleist 718 3 Iron
Titleist 712 AP1, 4-9
Odyssey ProType #9
Titleist SM7F, 48.10
Titleist SM6F, 52.08
Titleist SM6S, 56.10
Titleist SM4, 60.07

[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1434983880' post='11809284']
Why does everyone have such an issue with golf taking up your whole day? It's basically a perfect weekend day. You're on a golf message board for crying out loud.

And yes, I have two kids, a wife, a dog, a demanding job, mow the yard, yada yada yada.
[/quote]

I'm with ya man. My perfect day is a round from 9-12:30/1, then head home to shower up and get lunch with the wife somewhere, then maybe take care of some cleaning, mowing, or other housework, then a nice relaxing night. I think golf taking up a good portion of the day is perfectly fine but I get that many wives may not feel it's fair to watch the kids for 4-5 hours while the guys go have fun. I don't have a kid yet but I am hoping there will be trade off. I get my golf in, she gets to go out with the girls and whatnot, while the other watches the mini me. In a perfect world, that is how it will work for us.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

[quote name='cphrey' timestamp='1434985102' post='11809504']
[quote name='denvergolf' timestamp='1434983880' post='11809284']
Why does everyone have such an issue with golf taking up your whole day? It's basically a perfect weekend day. You're on a golf message board for crying out loud.

And yes, I have two kids, a wife, a dog, a demanding job, mow the yard, yada yada yada.
[/quote]

I'm with ya man. My perfect day is a round from 9-12:30/1, then head home to shower up and get lunch with the wife somewhere, then maybe take care of some cleaning, mowing, or other housework, then a nice relaxing night. I think golf taking up a good portion of the day is perfectly fine but I get that many wives may not feel it's fair to watch the kids for 4-5 hours while the guys go have fun. I don't have a kid yet but I am hoping there will be trade off. I get my golf in, she gets to go out with the girls and whatnot, while the other watches the mini me. In a perfect world, that is how it will work for us.
[/quote]If it's a passion for you, find a way to make it work. If it's not, don't fight about it. Pretty simple :)

I sat in a 90-degree gym yesterday from noon-3:30pm, then 6-7:30pm, watching my daughter compete in a state gymnastics meet. I spend my Saturdays in the fall watching them play soccer. I spend as many spring weekends as possible teaching them how to improve their skiing/snowboarding--when they're not competing in gymnastics. My kids are only going to go through childhood once. I'd never want to say to them, "I'm sorry I missed (insert achievement here), I was playing golf."

[quote name='pseudoswede' timestamp='1434986440' post='11809696']
I sat in a 90-degree gym yesterday from noon-3:30pm, then 6-7:30pm, watching my daughter compete in a state gymnastics meet. I spend my Saturdays in the fall watching them play soccer. I spend as many spring weekends as possible teaching them how to improve their skiing/snowboarding--when they're not competing in gymnastics. My kids are only going to go through childhood once. I'd never want to say to them, "I'm sorry I missed (insert achievement here), I was playing golf."
[/quote]

6am -10am was your golf window...says the guy that probably couldn't wake up for a time that early.

SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4