Ping G30 LS Tec Driver

aussiegolferer

[quote name='agentphil' timestamp='1427161868' post='11202033']
[quote name='rushwl' timestamp='1427122741' post='11196791']
[quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1427121860' post='11196681']
[quote name='KarstenK' timestamp='1427120968' post='11196557'][quote name='therealjonzone' timestamp='1427084231' post='11195135']
I love that on WRX everyone is finding this driver to be so great, but yet almost 95% of Ping Staffers still game their G30. I wonder why that is?
[/quote]

Why do you care if people on this thread like the driver? Besides giving you the chance to be negative...[/quote]

I don't think I'm being negative at all. 1/5 sales have been for the LST, and since August 15 the G30 has been the number 1 selling driver worldwide. It's just that on WRX where 4/5 are going with the LST, which I find amusing, and 9/10 pros are still using the stock G30.
[/quote]

The lst has only been out for a month, and most people are just now getting out of winter to go to a fitting. I think rather than bother with trying every shaft and messing with hot melt most fitters are opting to fit people with higher spin into the lst. As for the pros they have a trailer that will make their g30 spin to an exact number based on getting any shaft they desire as well as having Ping club techs hot melt and add weight exactly where they need it. I would also guess the tour van has all manner of weight plugs not available to us hacks. I bet you would find most of the tour players heads in g30 are lower spinning than lst based on tour van mods.
[/quote]

I have a regular G30 and I'm looking forward to trying the LS tec just to see how they compare. Doesn't seem the PGA tour players are spinning their drivers any lower than folks around here though. In fact, if you believe trackman, it's the opposite. I read the following on a very reputable site:

"The general rule of thumb is: the lower your clubhead speed and ball speed, the higher you need to launch the ball, and with more spin; and vice versa. According to Trackman, the average PGA TOUR player has a vertical launch angle of 11.2 degrees, and a spin rate of 2,685 rpm."

I was surprised to see that as I assumed that they were all shooting for the 1800-2200 number that we all seem to be chasing around here.
[/quote]As of Doral, the PGA tour averages were 112 MPH clubhead speed, 167 ball speed, 11.2 LA, 2,580 spin, 275 carry.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How much hotmelt are people using to alter the sound?

I'd like to order a G30 LS w/ Tour 80 @ 45". Want to figure out what SW to order it in order to have room for an adequate amount of hotmelt to alter the sound.

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

It doesn't take much I think. WRX would know. I had a G25 that I muted a bit by adding 8 grams of yarn through the weight port. Was easy to do and easy to take back out.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

[quote name='JGalls' timestamp='1427198105' post='11203801']
Something about adding yarn feels weird to me. Having anything inside the head that isn't in a fixed position. Also, is it legal?
[/quote]

It's not noticeable at all, a lot of guys use cotton balls but they are much tougher to take out. I'm not 100% sure of legality. I can say that it doesn't move around at all though. The good part is that if you already have the head it's an easy experiment.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I came from a G25, and I'll echo a lot of the same comments here. I'm playing the exact same Tour AD BB 6x in the LST as I used with the G25. The most noticeable improvement is performance into the wind. Little mis-hits with the G25 that would get eaten up by the breeze don't spin as much with the LST, and they're affected a lot less, and go farther. Also, my descent angle flattened out significantly, so when things dry out a bit, I should pick up some more roll, to go along with the 5 or so extra yards of carry I picked up by going up in loft compared to the G25. In the past, moving to a lower-spin head involved a significant compromise in forgiveness, but the LST is at least as forgiving as what I saw with the G25.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='JGalls' timestamp='1427197255' post='11203743']How much hotmelt are people using to alter the sound?

I'd like to order a G30 LS w/ Tour 80 @ 45". Want to figure out what SW to order it in order to have room for an adequate amount of hotmelt to alter the sound.[/quote]

Order it at D0 and add 6g

• 2 weeks later...

Today was my first chance to get on the course with my g30 ls tec. It performed very well and there were a couple things that stood out to me. I had hit the club at three range sessions off mats. The first thing I noticed immediately was the sound, in the hitting bay at the driving range it was super loud like a gun. On the course however it was not that much louder than my previous driver a 913d3. The second thing that really impressed me was ball flight. At the range I would get more shots than I liked that spun up and ballooned. On the course the flight was much more penetrating. I wonder is this could be the difference in mat rubber tee vs zero friction on course or just difference in range ball vs prov1x? One las thing was feel, it felt really solid off the face not as hollow than the range. I obviously chalked that up to the pro v1x. I was overall really impressed with its performance.

Ping G30 LS Tec 10.5 Tour 80S
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80S
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW
Mizuno MP-4t 52,56,60
Bettinardi BB8 Tour Prototype

[quote name='rushwl' timestamp='1427999669' post='11270345']
Today was my first chance to get on the course with my g30 ls tec. It performed very well and there were a couple things that stood out to me. I had hit the club at three range sessions off mats. The first thing I noticed immediately was the sound, in the hitting bay at the driving range it was super loud like a gun. On the course however it was not that much louder than my previous driver a 913d3. The second thing that really impressed me was ball flight. At the range I would get more shots than I liked that spun up and ballooned. On the course the flight was much more penetrating. I wonder is this could be the difference in mat rubber tee vs zero friction on course or just difference in range ball vs prov1x? One las thing was feel, it felt really solid off the face not as hollow than the range. I obviously chalked that up to the pro v1x. I was overall really impressed with its performance.
[/quote]
Did you ever try the 80x? I am around 116mph...have hit the 65x inside, but would like a little more weight...not sure if I should go 80s and tip or go 80x...

TS3 8.5, tenseii pro blue 70tx tipped 1"
917 f3 15, tenseii pro blue 80tx tipped 1.5"
U510 2, recoil 110 f5
U500 4, 620mb 5-9, PX 6.5
SM8 46.10, 50.12, PX 6.5

SM8 raw 56.14, 62.10 s400
Scotty Newport 2, Pro Platinum

Pro V1x left dash

I had the g30 and liked it at first but really started to ballon it out near the end of the season.

I went into golfsmith and hit the lst with the blue stock shaft slightly better but when I switched to the tour 65, there was a world of difference! The slightly shorter shaft has been a godsend and I have been flat out crushing this driver. Such a great ball flight and huge confidence.

Played 3 rounds...one scramble with all perfect drives, one round with a bad "pully" swing but kept the ball in play for the most part, and my last round may have been the most impressive round I've ever played.

Shot a 2 over 74 with 15 pars (including 9 in a row) one double (hit a hybrid off the tee into hay I had to hack out on) one bogey and one birdie.

Love the club, bombing this thing with a nice draw but I can still hit a power fade when needed.

I have a regular G30 and just bought an LS. Have hit the G30 3 times so far but strive for lower spin so bought the LS head to do a comparison. I have a AD MJ 6s shaft And looking for a DI or BB to test also before Mali g my decision!

SIM2 Max - Tour AD MT 6x
910Fd - Bi-Matrix
Cobra F7 Hybrid - Tour Green

Srixon 585 3-iron
921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM6 50*/56*
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

I did not try the X flex in the Ping tour shafts. I went to get fit for 915 and fitter had me try the ping and the numbers were much better with ping. I can tell you in the rogue silver with the 915 he had me using x flex from the start. The ping tour 80 was better for me cause I could keep it on plane. My spin was also better than either the rogue or tour 65 stiff. I think the torque on 80s is like 2.9 while the 65s and rogue 60x were both 3.1. I was swinging around 103 but the fitter felt like the heavier shaft would work better he said I created a lot of load for my SS. All that being said if I had your 116 ss I would give the 80s a try. I might be wrong but I think the 80s is tipped an inch from the factory and mine is 45.25 inches long that is std length. I think the biggest thing is I had a real good fitter Top 100 for ping and titleist. I just looked at ping specs and in the 80x it is 5g heavier at 80g vs 75g and torque is 2.8 vs 2.9. The difference from th 65s to 80s is 61g vs 75g also torque is 3.4 vs 2.9. So you can see much bigger jump from 65s to 80s than 80s to 80x.

Ping G 14.5 Tour 80S
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW
Mizuno MP-4t 52,56,60

[quote name='dhayse32' timestamp='1428029743' post='11273657']
I have a regular G30 and just bought an LS. Have hit the G30 3 times so far but strive for lower spin so bought the LS head to do a comparison. I have a AD MJ 6s shaft And looking for a DI or BB to test also before Mali g my decision!
[/quote]

My G30 LS with the DI 6x is just stupid straight and long. I've got it playing at 44.75" and am already seeing places in cold wet weather I only saw a few times mid summer last year. The DI is also very noticeably smoother than the stock Tour 65.

I absolutely love this driver.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1428029960' post='11273691']
[quote name='dhayse32' timestamp='1428029743' post='11273657']
[/quote]

My G30 LS with the DI 6x is just stupid straight and long. I've got it playing at 44.75" and am already seeing places in cold wet weather I only saw a few times mid summer last year. The DI is also very noticeably smoother than the stock Tour 65.

I absolutely love this driver.
[/quote]

I had the same experience today here in NE Ohio. Very wet fairways and air temp around 50 this morning and hit two tee shots today that were in places I usually drive the ball in july. The other solid strikes were within a club of usual landing spots. I predict by mid summer this club will be between 15-25 yards longer than my old 913d3 on dead center strikes.

Ping G 14.5 Tour 80S
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW
Mizuno MP-4t 52,56,60

Finally played a round with the LS. Compared to my SLDR, it is, easier to hit straight, misses are usually playable, higher flight but not near as long. Just put a tip on an Axivcore green, shortened length to 45", ordered a 16 weight. Stock S shaft just feels unstable and is too long. I haven't noticed the LS being too loud, a little loud, maybe.

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1428066124' post='11274949']
I find it funny that if a Taylormade driver had this loud of a sound, everyone would be yelling about how it sounded like garbage and that they would never play it because of that. Have to keep the WRX spin train in check.
[/quote]

I thought it sounded like crap too. I hit it at my fitting in a covered bay and it was really loud. Then I hit it at the range also covered and it was super loud. I played nine with it yesterday and hit it on a grass tee driving range not covered and I did not find it to be near as loud on the course outside. I don't care what a club sounds like as long as it performs. If you need to know about Taylor Made go to you local Golfsmith or GG and count the number of SLDR drivers in the used bin for sale or better yet look at eBay and see how many are selling for 75-100 bucks. I sold my sldr 430 and it brought 89 dollars on eBay stock shaft. I sold a 913d3 and it brought $189, a club that is a year older than SLDR.

Ping G 14.5 Tour 80S
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW
Mizuno MP-4t 52,56,60

I find it funny that if a Taylormade driver had this loud of a sound, everyone would be yelling about how it sounded like garbage and that they would never play it because of that. Have to keep the WRX spin train in check.
[/quote]
I like the sound, personally. I wish it was louder so the whole course could hear me hitting bombs :)

It's not like the sound hasn't been discussed ad nauseum in this and other threads about the LST and even the standard G30. The consensus is (and I disagree, but different strokes) that it's loud, but performs so well for a lot of people that they can deal with it, or they will do things like add hotmelt to mute it.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='CDSchalch' timestamp='1428068007' post='11275133']
Anybody using the Tour 80 shaft? I wanna try it in a stiff.
[/quote]

I am using it in 10.5 head set to standard loft. If you have hit the tour 65s think a bit heftier and more tip stiff. I thought for my SS of 103 it was too much but fitter had me try it. To me it did not feel like a board or harsh. It was nice and firm at impact I could control the face and had better club head awareness than with 65. I also tried a 915 with Rogue 60X and the Ping 80 felt pretty similar just a bit stiffer in the tip.

Ping G 14.5 Tour 80S
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW
Mizuno MP-4t 52,56,60

[/quote]

When you miss the center of the face, and only lose about 10% of your distance and the ball still flies straight, you tend not to sit on the tee dwelling on the sound it made.

When you miss the center of the face, and you lose 30% of your distance and it duck hooks 40 yrds left of target, you tend to not to sit on the tee dwelling on the sound it made.

You're talking to Ping fans here my man, function over form all day every day.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

I got mine with the Tour 80x, because I hit it straighter and got basically the same numbers as the Tour 65 in my fitting. I was always planning to replace the adapter on the AD BB 6x that I had in my G25, so whatever shaft I got was going to be a backup to that. I hit both on Trackman this week, and the AD BB was a pretty clear winner, but the Tour 80 feels good and performs well, so if I get into a bad stretch with my usual combo, it'll be good to have the backup option.

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1428068619' post='11275199']

When you miss the center of the face, and only lose about 10% of your distance and the ball still flies straight, you tend not to sit on the tee dwelling on the sound it made.

When you miss the center of the face, and you lose 30% of your distance and it duck hooks 40 yrds left of target, you tend to not to sit on the tee dwelling on the sound it made.

You're talking to Ping fans here my man, function over form all day every day.
[/quote]

Well put. I will take performance over sound any day.

SIM2 Max - Tour AD MT 6x
910Fd - Bi-Matrix
Cobra F7 Hybrid - Tour Green

Srixon 585 3-iron
921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW PX LZ 6.5
Vokey SM6 50*/56*
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red

If the sound is such a major issue, take 2-3 xl cotton balls pull them apart insert into the head and call me in the morning....problem solved. 2 xl cotton balls made a noticeable difference with my G30.

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

This is pretty interesting. [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s8y19JhdUo"]https://www.youtube....h?v=0s8y19JhdUo[/url]

Rick Sheils compares R15 and LS Tec I cant believe something that sounds so bad can be so good.

Ping G 14.5 Tour 80S
Titleist AP2 714 3-PW
Mizuno MP-4t 52,56,60

[quote name='rushwl' timestamp='1428068574' post='11275195']
[quote name='CDSchalch' timestamp='1428068007' post='11275133']
Anybody using the Tour 80 shaft? I wanna try it in a stiff.
[/quote]

I am using it in 10.5 head set to standard loft. If you have hit the tour 65s think a bit heftier and more tip stiff. I thought for my SS of 103 it was too much but fitter had me try it. To me it did not feel like a board or harsh. It was nice and firm at impact I could control the face and had better club head awareness than with 65. I also tried a 915 with Rogue 60X and the Ping 80 felt pretty similar just a bit stiffer in the tip.
[/quote]

Perfect.. Thank you, sir!

I love the performance of the LS and the only time I notice the sound is on the range...on the course it's not too bad. The feeling isn't that great either but I only really notice that when I'm testing it against others.

From what I'm seeing its as long as the R15, SLDR, Nike but I'm hitting way more fairways with the LS. So while the looks, sound, feel can be improved, I'm perfectly happy giving these up for the on-course results.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

My regular playing partners all have either Titleist or Taylormade drivers............not one person has mentioned the sound of my G30, I just hear a lot of comments like......

"you hit that driver good"

...........and in 47 years of playing golf............I've never heard someone say........"that driver sounds good""..........I've heard "that sounded good" but never in reference to a specific club

I suppose if you hit a lot of balls indoors (I don't) it could be an issue, but I think the whole sound of the driver thing is overblown..........just my opinion

[quote name='bag302' timestamp='1427030977' post='11190387']
[quote name='leakywader' timestamp='1426990438' post='11188943']
[quote name='bag302' timestamp='1426969372' post='11187067']
Good lord this club is legit!

My 9* LS with tour 65 has outperformed everything I have tried over the past decade. Accurate, forgiving all over the face and long as any I have hit. My only nit pick was I had trouble hitting the center of the face. I added some weight to the head and It was much better

On a whim, I picked up a tour 80 shaft and removed the extra weight from the head. Played with it today and it delivered center strike after center strike. Picked up an additional 5 yards along with a consistent draw. The tour 65 gave me a two way miss which I didn't like for obvious reasons.

Only missed one fairway today by a few feet without consequence.

Longest and straightest I've ever been and really happy about it!
[/quote]

I am struggling to pick a shaft because I don't have launch monitors anywhere near me, so I picked up the head and now trying to decide whether to go with the 65 Tour or 80 Tour shaft. Were you able to turn it over with the 65 Tour shaft once you took the head weight out of it? My miss is Right, which is why I'm asking.

I was able to find a BiMatrix shaft (the Bubba Pink/Chrome shaft) so I will hit it too just to see how it compares. My driver SS is right at 101 ~ 103...so thinking the 65 Tour may be where I start.
[/quote]

I actually did have trouble turning over this club with the tour 65. I tend to have trouble with lighter shafts though.

I do think the Ping G series drivers are harder to turn over than many other drivers. The head is just so big.
[/quote]

I agree completely. My one knock on this club is that I can't move it right to left to save my life. I'm considering moving to an i25 to get some of that workability back.