2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ping G30 LS Tec Driver

aussiegolferer

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I swung a 9 deg demo with the tour green shaft (stiff) this past weekend.

My problem with this club is finding the balanced set position at the top of the swing. It feels awkward at the top, and very lopsided balance-wise.

The one shot I hit flush easily passed my i25. It was a one hop and hit the fence type shot, probably 15 yards more carry than my i25.

However, that was the exact problem, that was one shot out of 10 I hit flush. Everything else was off balance or wristy.

In short, the club is a bit too squirrelly for me. Misses are either high fades or snap hooks, and I think its all from the lack of balance in the club at the top of the swing.

I might swing it again later this week - close the face to 10 degrees (+1 deg on the 9 deg model) and see how it does.

To date I haven't hit anything that would kick the i25 out of my bag. It may be an issue of simply adjusting to the weight and balance of the G30LS setup, but I am not compelled to adjust to the club. I need the club to be adjusted to me.

[quote name='theothertomjones' timestamp='1428952127' post='11349715']

My problem with this club is finding the balanced set position at the top of the swing. It feels awkward at the top, and very lopsided balance-wise.

The one shot I hit flush easily passed my i25. It was a one hop and hit the fence type shot, probably 15 yards more carry than my i25.

However, that was the exact problem, that was one shot out of 10 I hit flush. Everything else was off balance or wristy.

In short, the club is a bit too squirrelly for me. Misses are either high fades or snap hooks, and I think its all from the lack of balance in the club at the top of the swing.

I might swing it again later this week - close the face to 10 degrees (+1 deg on the 9 deg model) and see how it does.

To date I haven't hit anything that would kick the i25 out of my bag. It may be an issue of simply adjusting to the weight and balance of the G30LS setup, but I am not compelled to adjust to the club. I need the club to be adjusted to me.
[/quote]

This is probably the most anti-hook driver I've ever hit. I'll agree the SW has to be tuned to your preference, however sounds like you were having a tough day with the driver.

Are you playing your i25 in the neutral position? If you've got it lofted up, you may be onto something with giving it another go with it tuned up and the face closed. When I switched I came from my G25 tuned up to 10* from 9.5, and it took me some time to get used to the neutral face angle at address. The difference became even more noticeable when I soled the G25 and looked down at it after playing the G30 for a little bit.

Ping G 10.5 Tour 65s
Ping G 14.5 Tour 80x
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron AD DI 95x
Ping Anser Forged Project X 6.0
Ping Glide 50*SS, 54*SS, 58*SS Project X 6.0
Odyssey Versa 2-Ball

that's a bit disappointing. i picked one up on saturday and my ls tec head is crazy light. 9* head with a "q" weight.

TOTAL weight (head + sleeve) was 299g

that's 7 grams lighter than what ping advertises as head weight.

[/quote]

[quote name='icec0ld' timestamp='1428957230' post='11350341']
that's a bit disappointing. i picked one up on saturday and my ls tec head is crazy light. 9* head with a "q" weight.

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think he means 199 grams, not 299; As Ping shows head weight at 206 grams on their website.

I ordered my with DI playing at 45.25" at D3, Ping nailed it. My head weight is 198 grams.

I couldn't be happier with my setup.

Took a couple of tries to get it right with 9 and 10.5 head and shaft combo. As a matter of fact, I have a 9 head with Tour 65 shaft for sale in BST right now, if anyone is interested.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Even in wet conditions in was bombing this driver with the rogue black 70. I was concerned about the launch, but it was awesome. Great combo.

Ping G410 lst diamana bf
Ping g410lst 3 wood accra tz6
Epic flash 5 wood tensei blue
ping g410 tensei hybrid
Epon 705 5-gw Oban ct115
Callaway MD5 54/58
taylormade my spider 
ping hoofer
tp5x

Decided to modify my LST and butt trimmed my Tour AD shaft's from 45 1/4" to play 44.5", I had to add a bit of weight to the head, I removed the existing weight and inserted some lead tape (or you could use a washer) in the round weight port, I also used a longer screw from another Ping adapter and got my s/w to D3.5. Like the feel of the heavier head, I believe I achieved a bit more control with no loss of distance or performance.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

[quote name='swizbeatz' timestamp='1429011962' post='11354557']
Mines 44.5 as well and playing light right now, I'm trying changing out the weight in the back first before going hot melt. I can't ever get tape to stay on.
[/quote]

Had the same problem, tape wouldn't stay on either. For your consideration, remove the existing weight and cut and trim the lead tape to insert into the weight port then reinstalled the OEM weight, this is what I ended up with.

6.4 gr OEM weight
2.4 gr Longer Screw from Ping Adapter/Sleeve
[u]4.0 gr[/u] lead tape formed in a circle with a hole drilled out in the center to fit in weight port.
12.8 gr total weight

With the lead insert the black weight sits a bit higher than flush, but no big deal, the club now plays at D3.5, I plan on testing it for a few rounds and may add or subtract some lead before I buy any aftermarket weights on E-Bay.

Trust this helps.

Ping G430 10k - 10.5° Driver Tour Chrome 2.0 65 or Ventus Blue 6-S Velo

Ping G430 Max 15° 3 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 65 S or Ad Di8-S
Ping G430 Max 21° 7 Wood - Tour Chrome 2.0 75 S

Ping G430’s, 4-P/W - UST Recoil ES 780 F4-S

Ping G430 - 45° & 50° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Ping Glide Pro 56° - UST Recoil 95's F4-S

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 Limited Edition Putter

Ping DLX Cart Bag

V1 Sport Push Cart - Garmin Approach G80

[/quote]

I had the same problem with a 9* w/tour 65- couldn't get center contact my first round, I was all over the face. I added some lead tape and found the center much more consistently. In the end, I bought a Tour 80 shaft, which plays at 45.75" (.5" longer)- The extra weight and length got the SW to D5 and I love it.

whoops. sorry about the typo, but i meant 199g

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1428960676' post='11350755']
[quote name='icec0ld' timestamp='1428957230' post='11350341']

[/quote]
[/quote]

I think he means 199 grams, not 299; As Ping shows head weight at 206 grams on their website.

I ordered my with DI playing at 45.25" at D3, Ping nailed it. My head weight is 198 grams.

I couldn't be happier with my setup.

Took a couple of tries to get it right with 9 and 10.5 head and shaft combo. As a matter of fact, I have a 9 head with Tour 65 shaft for sale in BST right now, if anyone is interested.
[/quote]

[quote name='bag302' timestamp='1429042840' post='11358703']

[/quote]

I had the same problem with a 9* w/tour 65- couldn't get center contact my first round, I was all over the face. I added some lead tape and found the center much more consistently. In the end, I bought a Tour 80 shaft, which plays at 45.75" (.5" longer)- The extra weight and length got the SW to D5 and I love it.
[/quote]
Doe's the tour 80 have an extension in it or did you buy a raw shaft and cut it to length yourself?

Been testing my LS Tec at the range for a few sessions now. Awesome driver, very easy to hit, and it looks to play so much shorter than reality which is nice for feeling in control.

I added some yard to the head to deaden the sound, but I have a feeling it's way too heavy now (maybe I added too much? 4 or 5 feet of thin yarn is too much?).

Playing length is 45" even so I don't know if I should pull the yarn out and swap it with frayed cotton balls? Does that work better than yarn for deadening sound? This thing is soo loud it's crazy. I really want to deaden the sound because I can't handle how deafening it is, especially on toe hits.

Only other thing is once that cotton goes in, it'll be impossible to take out.

Thanks all.

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i210 / 5-PW DG 120 S300 (waiting for i230s to return from PING)

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D

TITLEIST SPECIAL SELECT / FLOWBACK 5 (H)

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1429048191' post='11359313']
Been testing my LS Tec at the range for a few sessions now. Awesome driver, very easy to hit, and it looks to play so much shorter than reality which is nice for feeling in control.

I added some yard to the head to deaden the sound, but I have a feeling it's way too heavy now (maybe I added too much? 4 or 5 feet of thin yarn is too much?).

Playing length is 45" even so I don't know if I should pull the yarn out and swap it with frayed cotton balls? Does that work better than yarn for deadening sound? This thing is soo loud it's crazy. I really want to deaden the sound because I can't handle how deafening it is, especially on toe hits.

Thanks all.
[/quote]
I agree. I haven't hit one yet but messing around in store they felt short, which is good...I'm comparing off the G30 with standard shaft. What's your SS? How does it compare to your previous driver? Thanks.

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING I210 4-U Project X 6.5 - PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 55 & 60* Project X 6.0
PING VALOR CB 35"

[quote name='jamie' timestamp='1429053116' post='11359785']

Thanks all.
[/quote]
I agree. I haven't hit one yet but messing around in store they felt short, which is good...I'm comparing off the G30 with standard shaft. What's your SS? How does it compare to your previous driver? Thanks.
[/quote]

After a lot of swing changes, my SS is down this year (plus when I hit range, I'm dead tired/sore/stiff from gym). It can hover from 103-107 this year...last year I got up to 113.

Positive thing is I'm hitting way more in-line positions and my path has smoothed and shallowed out considerably with all clubs. Not across the line and not past parallel at the top.

Old pic, but you get the idea:

[attachment=2711341:compare.jpg]

I'll see if I can get it back up to 110 minimum this year.

It's an awesome driver, but I feel people staring at me at the range when I hit it.

Anyone else have feedback on the yarn/cotton ball tweak?

[quote name='^m9' timestamp='1429054731' post='11359975']

Thanks all.
[/quote]
Thanks. Swing changes look good!
[/quote]

After a lot of swing changes, my SS is down this year (plus when I hit range, I'm dead tired/sore/stiff from gym). It can hover from 103-107 this year...last year I got up to 113.

Positive thing is I'm hitting way more in-line positions and my path has smoothed and shallowed out considerably with all clubs. Not across the line and not past parallel at the top.

Old pic, but you get the idea:

[attachment=2711341:compare.jpg]

I'll see if I can get it back up to 110 minimum this year.

It's an awesome driver, but I feel people staring at me at the range when I hit it.

Anyone else have feedback on the yarn/cotton ball tweak?
[/quote]

PING G425 9* Tour 65 X - PING G400 Stretch 13* HZRDUS Yellow - PING G425 17* Hybrid Tour 85 X
PING VALOR CB 35"

@jamie, thanks. Oh, and I forgot to mention- my previous driver was the SLDR. No comparison. The LS is a lot more forgiving on off center hits. In general I've seen straighter ball flights out of the Ping. The Ping is also low spin so I don't get a lot of curvature, similar to the SLDR (the difference is that the SLDR would twist a lot more than the LS, which then drops ball speed and causes gearing). Distance about the same although I did get a couple hits that carried to the back of my range.. Just high flighted low spinners that got out there. Not bad for chilly weather and crappy range balls.

@sheldonjhacker, I've tried the D2, very good, very loud, but not at piercing as the LS. Spin numbers were a bit higher, maybe 2-400 rpm more.

Thanks all.
[/quote]
[/quote]
The regular G30 and the ls are the same length since they have the same shafts.......Tours are half inch shorter than non tour.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1429058446' post='11360433']

Thanks all.
[/quote]
[/quote]
The regular G30 and the ls are the same length since they have the same shafts.......Tours are half inch shorter than non tour.
[/quote]
That's what I meant.

PING VALOR CB 35"

[quote name='Drudersh' timestamp='1428956908' post='11350289']

[/quote]

This is probably the most anti-hook driver I've ever hit. I'll agree the SW has to be tuned to your preference, however sounds like you were having a tough day with the driver.

Are you playing your i25 in the neutral position? If you've got it lofted up, you may be onto something with giving it another go with it tuned up and the face closed. When I switched I came from my G25 tuned up to 10* from 9.5, and it took me some time to get used to the neutral face angle at address. The difference became even more noticeable when I soled the G25 and looked down at it after playing the G30 for a little bit.
[/quote]

Ill swing it again in the 10 deg position. I currently have my i25 w/PWR65 stiff shaft set to 10 deg so the face is a bit closed. I don't like an open face at address, though I am starting to hook the ball rather than a subtle fade. I noticed tonight Id been hitting driver TOO much and was setting up in a power biased position not allowing me to rotate my hips as freely as I should.

Anywho, the good news is that Im absolutely sold on the G30 19 deg hybrid!

I am also ordering 2 wedges tomorrow - Glide gap wedge and a sand wedge to replace my gorge.

[quote name='wobgon' timestamp='1429047360' post='11359209']
[quote name='bag302' timestamp='1429042840' post='11358703']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Doe's the tour 80 have an extension in it or did you buy a raw shaft and cut it to length yourself?
[/quote]

I bought the shaft off Ebay all put together with tip & grip and was surprised to see it was a 1/2" longer. It could be a fake for all I know, but I'm hitting it well so I don't care.

Finally got to hit this driver again and it is pretty awesome. I just wish it was a bit smaller. More towards the size of my Optiforce 440. I know they are two different cc's but I like smaller profile heads.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1428977180' post='11352815']
[url="https://youtu.be/PRRZopcQW24"]https://youtu.be/PRRZopcQW24[/url]

Great driver ....
[/quote]

Holy hilarious Batman!

TSR2 9* - 1K White 70
TSR2 15* - AD DI 7
Apex UW 19* - Diamana D+ 80
T150 4-PW - PX
SM8/SM9s - Modus 120
Scotty 5.5

[quote name='indygolfman' timestamp='1429135658' post='11368425']
[quote name='Scratch2Plus' timestamp='1428977180' post='11352815']
[url="https://youtu.be/PRRZopcQW24"]https://youtu.be/PRRZopcQW24[/url]

Great driver ....
[/quote]

Holy hilarious Batman!
[/quote]

I have no idea why this video was made or why anyone thought it was a good idea to make something so dumb, but holy sh*t is this video hilarious. Well done gentleman, well done.